Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I almost stepped on a snake.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I almost stepped on a snake.

Old 07-06-21, 10:03 PM
  #26  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 6,015
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 919 Times in 567 Posts
Your activity also know as to 'drain the snake'.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 02:24 AM
  #27  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,330
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Super hardcore.
I drove by them. It was hot. Funny that they werenít wearing shorts and tank tops (heavy sarcasm).
But hey, what do they know about dress in hot weather? They should learn from us westerners.
They wear black robes which shoots down the myth that black clothing is hotter. It actually cools you down faster when you get in the shade.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 03:05 AM
  #28  
Vintage Schwinn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 264 Times in 181 Posts
In the Summer of 1971 while vacationing at Edisto Beach, some pals and I went crabbing one afternoon near there in an area on a bank where many others were doing the same. I went to the cooler to retrieve a few cold ones for the gang, and then said loudly, hey look at that king snake, and that got the attention of several folks, one of whom looked at it and yelled back at me, hey dumbass get away from that snake because it is a super-poisonous Coral snake, get away, it is not a king snake, don't let anyone get near it. One guy there knew and explained something I still remember today that RED/YELLOW kills a fellow & RED/BLACK venom it lacks......
We were all familiar with Cottonmouths(water moccasins) , Copperheads, and big fat six feet long Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes which are common in GA/SC/NC and are pit vipers with easily identifiable large triangular shaped heads which are distinctly larger than the body and non round eyes..... Well, the Coral Snake, I was told is the only poisonous snake in the United States which has round eyes and a head that is same size as body, like that of all non-poisonous snakes in North America.

When I was a teen-ager, I worked the range at the Country Club. The Club was closed on Monday, which was the day when employees would play golf all day. I'd play with the head tennis pro, the head golf pro, the guys that ran the giant Jacobson mowers, and the golf course maintenance crew guys and cart shack guys. Well I became friends with them and when we'd play some holes some of the maintenance guys would point and say that while cutting back the growth over there we came across three rattlesnakes, two cottonmouths and at least one copperhead.........which I'd reply, no s---, and then later they would bring some of the killed, dead snakes up to the range to show me some of the bigger ones when they had to cut back growth in a few areas about once a year. It gave me a healthy respect for not going into areas in the woods where the ground cover foliage & wild grass was sorta thick and/or knee high. We often saw Water Moccasins(cotton mouths) on or near the green on water holes, and would sometimes see Copperheads on the paved path between #6 green and #7 tee which was a valley that was both swampy and jungle like. I never saw a live rattlesnake while playing there, only dead ones that the guys had killed while clearing overgrowth deep in the woods, where only the stupid would go as though not out of bounds, you probably have zero chance of finding your ball, and it would be impossible to play it if you did.

Two years ago, in January 2019, I was invited to play golf in the Phoenix area. I guess the head pro there figured that I might not be too bright, and not familiar with the hazards of the desert around the Phoenix area because he said you don't want to go after your golf balls which leave the green grass area and make it on the desert because rattlesnakes are all over the place, especially now at this time during January.............no joke he told us to treat it like a local rule that allows a free drop on the nearest grass area, no closer to the hole, assuming that you see your ball closeby in the desert area that is not out of bounds...........said you damn sure don't want to go after the ball on the desert....... said you know anti-venom is something like $15,000 per vial.
One of my buddies did take a photograph with his phone of a rattler on that golf course. It was thinner and smaller than the typical Southeastern USA poisonous snake (Cottonmouth, Copperhead, Eastern Diamondback Rattler, or Coral snake). It was still big enough and I'd imagine there are plenty of big ones in AZ too that we didn't get to see.

I've seen at least a dozen different live snakes on the roads or crossing the road while riding this year in 2021 but none poisonous.......one large dead one......saw a couple of live big ones during 2020, and I saw a large bird drop a copperhead about 100 yards in front of me........which I think was biting the bird and it dropped the snake. A friend that I sometimes ride with lives in a 5000 sq ft house on 1.6 acres, built in 2017 in an area that was deep dense heavy pine tree forest and woods before that area was first developed around 2014-2015. They have found live snakes that enter their four car garage, most of them Copperheads. One of their neighbors stepped on and was bitten by a Copperhead on the closely mowed grass. It didn't inject much venom and she recovered quickly. I do know a friend of a friend that stepped on an eastern diamondback rattler on their rural acreage on their family's horse farm. They had to have multiple anti-venom vials and the necrosis of the tissue and leg flesh required surgeries for multiple skin grafts, as it was a very bad bite.
One thing is certainly worth mentioning so that those that are super-adventureous don't do something stupid like to attempt to pick-up some large rattler or cottonmouth(water moccasin) that has been run-over and is motionless and you think is probably dead.......Remember that if it ain't dead yet, you're likely gonna get all the energy that the dying snake can muster in a helluva bite. Probably any doctor that has done ER duty probably will tell you that accounts for many snake-bite cases.
Let the snake go on its way, if it is out in the wild and not in your garage, or under your home, etc....... If you need to have a live poisonous snake captured & removed, please call a professional as you don't wanna do something stupid like have bullets ricochet and possibly strike someone or a pet, or a window or car etc.
The snake does not want to hurt you. They do naturally strike and bite when stepped on.

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 07-07-21 at 03:32 AM.
Vintage Schwinn is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 03:56 AM
  #29  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,685

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek FX 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
If I find a live gopher snake on the road, I'll try to shoo it away, just in case the next vehicle coming down the road isn't as snake friendly.
I am not snake friendly or unfriendly, but I accidentally rode over a snake across a MUP during my ride yesterday afternoon.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 05:31 AM
  #30  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,048
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 3,767 Times in 1,939 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
In the Summer of 1971 while vacationing at Edisto Beach, some pals and I went crabbing one afternoon near there in an area on a bank where many others were doing the same. I went to the cooler to retrieve a few cold ones for the gang, and then said loudly, hey look at that king snake, and that got the attention of several folks, one of whom looked at it and yelled back at me, hey dumbass get away from that snake because it is a super-poisonous Coral snake, get away, it is not a king snake, don't let anyone get near it. One guy there knew and explained something I still remember today that RED/YELLOW kills a fellow & RED/BLACK venom it lacks......
We were all familiar with Cottonmouths(water moccasins) , Copperheads, and big fat six feet long Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes which are common in GA/SC/NC and are pit vipers with easily identifiable large triangular shaped heads which are distinctly larger than the body and non round eyes..... Well, the Coral Snake, I was told is the only poisonous snake in the United States which has round eyes and a head that is same size as body, like that of all non-poisonous snakes in North America.

When I was a teen-ager, I worked the range at the Country Club. The Club was closed on Monday, which was the day when employees would play golf all day. I'd play with the head tennis pro, the head golf pro, the guys that ran the giant Jacobson mowers, and the golf course maintenance crew guys and cart shack guys. Well I became friends with them and when we'd play some holes some of the maintenance guys would point and say that while cutting back the growth over there we came across three rattlesnakes, two cottonmouths and at least one copperhead.........which I'd reply, no s---, and then later they would bring some of the killed, dead snakes up to the range to show me some of the bigger ones when they had to cut back growth in a few areas about once a year. It gave me a healthy respect for not going into areas in the woods where the ground cover foliage & wild grass was sorta thick and/or knee high. We often saw Water Moccasins(cotton mouths) on or near the green on water holes, and would sometimes see Copperheads on the paved path between #6 green and #7 tee which was a valley that was both swampy and jungle like. I never saw a live rattlesnake while playing there, only dead ones that the guys had killed while clearing overgrowth deep in the woods, where only the stupid would go as though not out of bounds, you probably have zero chance of finding your ball, and it would be impossible to play it if you did.

Two years ago, in January 2019, I was invited to play golf in the Phoenix area. I guess the head pro there figured that I might not be too bright, and not familiar with the hazards of the desert around the Phoenix area because he said you don't want to go after your golf balls which leave the green grass area and make it on the desert because rattlesnakes are all over the place, especially now at this time during January.............no joke he told us to treat it like a local rule that allows a free drop on the nearest grass area, no closer to the hole, assuming that you see your ball closeby in the desert area that is not out of bounds...........said you damn sure don't want to go after the ball on the desert....... said you know anti-venom is something like $15,000 per vial.
One of my buddies did take a photograph with his phone of a rattler on that golf course. It was thinner and smaller than the typical Southeastern USA poisonous snake (Cottonmouth, Copperhead, Eastern Diamondback Rattler, or Coral snake). It was still big enough and I'd imagine there are plenty of big ones in AZ too that we didn't get to see.

I've seen at least a dozen different live snakes on the roads or crossing the road while riding this year in 2021 but none poisonous.......one large dead one......saw a couple of live big ones during 2020, and I saw a large bird drop a copperhead about 100 yards in front of me........which I think was biting the bird and it dropped the snake. A friend that I sometimes ride with lives in a 5000 sq ft house on 1.6 acres, built in 2017 in an area that was deep dense heavy pine tree forest and woods before that area was first developed around 2014-2015. They have found live snakes that enter their four car garage, most of them Copperheads. One of their neighbors stepped on and was bitten by a Copperhead on the closely mowed grass. It didn't inject much venom and she recovered quickly. I do know a friend of a friend that stepped on an eastern diamondback rattler on their rural acreage on their family's horse farm. They had to have multiple anti-venom vials and the necrosis of the tissue and leg flesh required surgeries for multiple skin grafts, as it was a very bad bite.
One thing is certainly worth mentioning so that those that are super-adventureous don't do something stupid like to attempt to pick-up some large rattler or cottonmouth(water moccasin) that has been run-over and is motionless and you think is probably dead.......Remember that if it ain't dead yet, you're likely gonna get all the energy that the dying snake can muster in a helluva bite. Probably any doctor that has done ER duty probably will tell you that accounts for many snake-bite cases.
Let the snake go on its way, if it is out in the wild and not in your garage, or under your home, etc....... If you need to have a live poisonous snake captured & removed, please call a professional as you don't wanna do something stupid like have bullets ricochet and possibly strike someone or a pet, or a window or car etc.
The snake does not want to hurt you. They do naturally strike and bite when stepped on.
Agree
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 05:52 AM
  #31  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,172
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15525 Post(s)
Liked 9,532 Times in 4,668 Posts
Let's turn this thread into something worth something.

Show us pictures of snakes you've seen while riding.

Western yellow bellied racer in South Dakota. Sucker was fast and larger than the photo makes him appear to be.


indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-21, 05:57 AM
  #32  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,172
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15525 Post(s)
Liked 9,532 Times in 4,668 Posts
Curious Northern Water Snake in the Delaware River above Stockton, NJ while in camp druing a long weekend bike tour. He kept mugging for the camera.


indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-21, 06:48 AM
  #33  
teejaywhy
Senior Member
 
teejaywhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ
Posts: 251

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert; 2018 Breezer Thunder Expert

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
If only I could convince my wife...
teejaywhy is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 06:54 AM
  #34  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,146 Times in 1,530 Posts
I don't know how you shoo a rattlesnake off of a road, they usually just coil up and try to scare you.
I saw 2 in one week during June. Someone told me it was probably pregnant females. They like to hang out near streams and sunbathe.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 07:09 AM
  #35  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,172
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15525 Post(s)
Liked 9,532 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't know how you shoo a rattlesnake off of a road, they usually just coil up and try to scare you.
I saw 2 in one week during June. Someone told me it was probably pregnant females. They like to hang out near streams and sunbathe.
Somewhere in my collection I have a photo of a young rattler on the edge of the Lehigh Gorge Trail between Jim Thorpe and White Haven. I didn't notice it. My riding partner did and said something. I went back to take photos. Not the only one I've seen along that trail. They definitely like to sun themselves on the limestone surface.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 07:23 AM
  #36  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,019
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 911 Posts
Stepped on a few poisonous ones accidentally in my time. Luckily, they were small and my foot was positioned so they could not strike. I was on the edge of a golf tee box many years ago waiting for someone to tee off. I kept hearing this buzzing sound like a pager going off. I looked down at the ground(narrow strip of dirt) trying to find the source of the noise. I was standing on a baby rattlesnake! It's body and tail were protruding out from under my shoe. It had maybe 2 buttons and 1 rattle. It was no longer than a ruler. I jumped away and got it moved away from the tee box.
seypat is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 08:06 AM
  #37  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,195

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 1,042 Posts
We generally only need to worry about copperheads and I would not worry about those when I'm riding. I do look out for them in the yard, and occasionally in the house.
thumpism is offline  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 07-07-21, 08:25 AM
  #38  
Me2gingko
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 20

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Super Sport / 1954 Schwinn Spitfire / 90's Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I wish I had pics of all of the Copperheads I have seen. When it gets chilly out, they like to sun bath on open sections of a trail.
Me2gingko is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 08:34 AM
  #39  
OkFine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 56

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Very compliant with me taking photos of it; sat still and watched me the whole time.

OkFine is offline  
Likes For OkFine:
Old 07-07-21, 09:47 AM
  #40  
CAT7RDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hacienda Hgts
Posts: 1,591

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 682 Posts
CAT7RDR is offline  
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-08-21, 01:01 AM
  #41  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,569 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't know how you shoo a rattlesnake off of a road, they usually just coil up and try to scare you.
I saw 2 in one week during June. Someone told me it was probably pregnant females. They like to hang out near streams and sunbathe.
Rattlers usually dislike and avoid water. They're among the very few critters that do respond to being squirted with a water bottle. Somewhere around here I have a bike mounted video of me chasing a snoozing rattler off the road using a water bottle.

Even when they are near bodies of water they generally avoid being too close. They prefer dry dens and get most of their moisture from prey. In the desert rattlers are known to drink the little water they need by drinking dew and collected moisture off their own scales.

There are non-venomous snakes that resemble rattlers that do hang around and even swim in rivers, lakes, etc. A friend who paddles around the local rivers and lakes video records every outing and has recorded those snakes that resemble rattlers at a glance. Hog-nosed snakes are easily mistaken for rattlers but are non-venomous. Ditto bull snakes, rat snakes and others that have rattler-like markings.

And of course water moccasins/cottonmouths swim and are usually found near bodies of water, although they'll occasionally sun themselves on rocks and sidewalks and fall asleep there after dark when the temperature cools down and they become sluggish. They've often approached me while I'm fishing from shore, but tend to leave as soon as they realize I'm too big to eat. But it's a good idea to wear boots when fishing from shore or wading in areas infested with water moccasins.

Cottonmouths tend to ignore being squirted with water bottles. I'll use a stick or even an extended bicycle pump to shoo them off the road or sidewalk. An awake and alert cottonmouth can sense when we're too big to eat so while they can react defensively and seem aggressive, they almost always prefer to escape. Usually it's the babies and adolescents that fall asleep on sidewalks. I don't often see adult cottonmouths in the open like that. They've lived long enough to be more cautious. Baby and adolescent mocs are idiots, just like human kidlets.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-08-21, 01:11 AM
  #42  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,569 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Let's turn this thread into something worth something.

Show us pictures of snakes you've seen while riding.
I dunno if this video will show up. I posted it on Facebook last summer. Unfortunately I posted it remotely from my phone and used the low resolution video option to save data. I never got around to backing up the hi-rez version to my NAS or cloud and
the PC hard drive it was on just crashed last week. So this will be kinda fuzzy.

Just an adolescent rattler I saw on the lightly traveled access road I ride a zillion times a year. Occasionally I do see dead snakes along that road so I wanted to shoo this one off to safety.

At first I nudged it with my bike's front tire, but it was still drowsy and sluggish and barely responded. So I poked it with an extended bike pump, but that just made it moody. So I squirted it with the water bottle. That always works. They're very picky about their hair, nails and makeup.

I have a few more of snakes, tarantulas, etc., but all on Facebook. My DSL is so slow I rarely upload to YouTube. A five minute HD video can take hours to upload to YT from here. FB is quicker for some reason, although only with lo-rez videos.

canklecat is offline  
Old 07-08-21, 01:23 AM
  #43  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,569 Posts
Eight-legged teddy bear, once of many I've shooed off the road. I'm always tempted to take them home but my cats wouldn't approve.

Snek fails at being stealthy.

Grumpy snoozing snek.
canklecat is offline  
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-08-21, 06:50 AM
  #44  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,146 Times in 1,530 Posts
This was a very mad rattlesnake because a jogger kept throwing handfuls of pebbles at it trying to get it off the road. I'll have to keep water in mind next time I see one I want to move. I think they hang out near streams because that's where their prey is. This one was right by a small stream. As you can see, the road changes from pavement to gravel at this point.

The jogger was too wimpy to run around the snake. I had to ask him to move because he was standing in the line I wanted to take. I assume the whole standoff became moot when the thunderstorm moved in a few minutes later.
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-08-21, 07:51 AM
  #45  
Bald Paul
Senior Member
 
Bald Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
Two years ago, in January 2019, I was invited to play golf in the Phoenix area. I guess the head pro there figured that I might not be too bright, and not familiar with the hazards of the desert around the Phoenix area because he said you don't want to go after your golf balls which leave the green grass area and make it on the desert because rattlesnakes are all over the place, especially now at this time during January.............no joke he told us to treat it like a local rule that allows a free drop on the nearest grass area, no closer to the hole, assuming that you see your ball close by in the desert area that is not out of bounds...........said you damn sure don't want to go after the ball on the desert....... said you know anti-venom is something like $15,000 per vial.
I have a joke that would fit right in with this topic - golf course, poisonous snake, nature break - but I don't think it would be allowed here.
Bald Paul is offline  
Old 07-08-21, 10:19 AM
  #46  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,172
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15525 Post(s)
Liked 9,532 Times in 4,668 Posts
This didnít rattle me.


indyfabz is offline  
Old 07-08-21, 04:30 PM
  #47  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 2,877

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 888 Times in 568 Posts
Pretty much all the snakes I see are small squished garters. Once, though, DH and I spotted a 18" long garter in the middle of a low traffic bit of street after dark; it was getting cool, and the little guy was soaking up the last of the heat. He took some convincing, i.e. nudging his tail with my shoe, but he eventually slithered off into the tall grass, where he belongs. Hopefully he grew up to eat rats. Lots of rats.
Korina is offline  
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-08-21, 04:35 PM
  #48  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,172
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15525 Post(s)
Liked 9,532 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina View Post
Pretty much all the snakes I see are small squished garters. Once, though, DH and I spotted a 18" long garter in the middle of a low traffic bit of street after dark; it was getting cool, and the little guy was soaking up the last of the heat. He took some convincing, i.e. nudging his tail with my shoe, but he eventually slithered off into the tall grass, where he belongs. Hopefully he grew up to eat rats. Lots of rats.
My ex and I recently moved a turtle out of harmís way.


indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-08-21, 04:38 PM
  #49  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,449

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 2,247 Times in 1,101 Posts
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 07-09-21, 10:18 AM
  #50  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,591

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Liked 5,949 Times in 3,058 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine View Post
Very compliant with me taking photos of it; sat still and watched me the whole time.

OMG, what a cute little snake!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.