Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aaugghh!! This happened again...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aaugghh!! This happened again...

Old 08-02-21, 11:46 AM
  #51  
BobT1962
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5

Bikes: Raleigh Detour - Northwoods Tandem 21sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just be careful

Originally Posted by Random11 View Post
I've complained about this before. There's a roundabout on my daily ride, and yesterday I was approaching it as a car was entering to my left (counterclockwise traffic). I was timing my entry to follow that car when... the car just stopped in the roundabout. so, I jammed on my brakes and stopped too. I didn't want to risk pulling in front of a car that had the right-of-way. With both of us stopped, the car then continued around and I followed. Now I'm thinking I'm partly to blame. Nothing bad happened. It was just annoying. But why did the car stop? Likely because the driver saw me barreling toward the roundabout and didn't want to risk a collision. The drive was really trying to look out for me. So, what should I be doing? I want to keep my speed up, partly because there is often traffic behind me and I take the lane. And of course, who wants to slow down when they are riding anyway? Maybe I need to be a bit less aggressive when following traffic in the roundabout. And instead of being annoyed, maybe I should be thankful that at least some drivers err on the side of caution when encountering bikes on the road.
I have has similar issues as we had a roundabout just outside of our community. It was bad enough with auto drivers not knowing what to do in this 2 lane round about so you can imagine how bad if you are on 2 wheels. There have been numerous motorcycle accidents in this one roundabout also. I usually play it this way when I have to enter if there is too much traffic I either stop and wait, medium traffic some times cant make it all the way around I take the first exit and re-plan my trip usually not a big deal, if no traffic or very light i go for it. Remember this is a 2 lane roundabout so if I need to take 2nd or 3rd exit I have to get into the middle then back to the outside. It can be very nerve wracking.
BobT1962 is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 12:25 PM
  #52  
SteveG23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gregplo View Post
I've tried to read through the thread, and haven't seen anyone state specifically that, by law, vehicles already in the roundabout have the right of way.
I am not finding that explicitly stated in the Illinois vehicle code (statute), but the official "rules of the road" booklet issued by the state says: "Vehicles entering or exiting a roundabout must yield to all traffic including pedestrians and bicycles." This has been the "rules of the road" taught in every state and country I have driven in. And to make it yet more clear, I don't think I have ever seen a roundabout, rotary, or "traffic circle" without Yield (or sometimes Stop) signs for drivers entering; of course there are none for vehicles already in.
SteveG23 is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 12:49 PM
  #53  
Eiko
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11 View Post
Maybe I need to be a bit less aggressive when following traffic in the roundabout. And instead of being annoyed, maybe I should be thankful that at least some drivers err on the side of caution when encountering bikes on the road.
I just had the exact same thing happen yesterday. I jammed on the brakes but had expected him to keep going so I couldn't get my feet out of the clipless and tottered onto the sidewalk to avoid going into the roundabout in front of him.

He's the overly polite idiot who causes accidents by not respecting right-of-way rules. In his defense, this is a residential neighborhood so I bet he's learned to brake for kids barreling through without looking. I'm not annoyed and appreciative that he's looking out for me. Even if should not be doing that.
Eiko is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 12:58 PM
  #54  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon View Post
This happens to me all the time, as well as similar situations where another driver has the right of way but yields to be polite to me.

The law in my state is that cyclists must obey all traffic laws the same as cars. If cyclists and drivers alike would accept the right of way when itís theirs and yield it when itís not, there would be very few conflicts.

While I appreciate someone noticing me on the road and trying to be kind, what I really need is for them to follow the law and expect me to do the same. This is the safest way.
When someone yields he right of way to me I often just stare at them until they get mad and go. Im always afraid I will accept their offer and then get creamed by somebody.
Rdmonster69 is online now  
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-02-21, 01:19 PM
  #55  
gregplo
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteveG23 View Post
I am not finding that explicitly stated in the Illinois vehicle code (statute), but the official "rules of the road" booklet issued by the state says: "Vehicles entering or exiting a roundabout must yield to all traffic including pedestrians and bicycles." This has been the "rules of the road" taught in every state and country I have driven in. And to make it yet more clear, I don't think I have ever seen a roundabout, rotary, or "traffic circle" without Yield (or sometimes Stop) signs for drivers entering; of course there are none for vehicles already in.
Quoting directly from the NC DOT site:

"Driving Through a Roundabout

A roundabout is easy to drive through once you understand how it works. As you approach it, youíll see a yellow ďroundabout aheadĒ sign, indicating you should slow down.

Drivers yield to any vehicles or bicyclists already in the roundabout. Everyone using the roundabout moves in a counterclockwise direction, and those already in it do not yield to approaching vehicles.

Drivers should use turn signals when exiting and yield to pedestrians using the crosswalk at the roundabout."
gregplo is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 01:36 PM
  #56  
TX_master
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat View Post
I dare you to drive in Slovenia.
Lol. Or Bahrain. They don't call it roundabout roulette for nothing over there.
TX_master is offline  
Likes For TX_master:
Old 08-02-21, 02:23 PM
  #57  
jpdemers
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 34

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default assumption

I assume that all drivers are out to kill me, and ride accordingly.
jpdemers is offline  
Likes For jpdemers:
Old 08-02-21, 02:28 PM
  #58  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdemers View Post
I assume that all drivers are out to kill me, and ride accordingly.
I follow this rule on both bicycles and motorcycles ...... on motorcycles I at least have the advantage of real power to get away when needed.
Rdmonster69 is online now  
Old 08-02-21, 03:10 PM
  #59  
TX_master
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdemers View Post
I assume that all drivers are out to kill me, and ride accordingly.
Not a bad way to look at it. They may not be trying to kill you in a deliberate, pernicious way but people are more distracted behind the wheel than ever, and bikes are small - I don't care what you are wearing.
TX_master is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 03:46 PM
  #60  
dkatz1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11 View Post
I've complained about this before. There's a roundabout on my daily ride, and yesterday I was approaching it as a car was entering to my left (counterclockwise traffic). I was timing my entry to follow that car when... the car just stopped in the roundabout. so, I jammed on my brakes and stopped too. I didn't want to risk pulling in front of a car that had the right-of-way. With both of us stopped, the car then continued around and I followed. Now I'm thinking I'm partly to blame. Nothing bad happened. It was just annoying. But why did the car stop? Likely because the driver saw me barreling toward the roundabout and didn't want to risk a collision. The drive was really trying to look out for me. So, what should I be doing? I want to keep my speed up, partly because there is often traffic behind me and I take the lane. And of course, who wants to slow down when they are riding anyway? Maybe I need to be a bit less aggressive when following traffic in the roundabout. And instead of being annoyed, maybe I should be thankful that at least some drivers err on the side of caution when encountering bikes on the road.
I don't know the answer to your question, but I DO know that those places are NOT my favorite.
dkatz1 is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 05:27 PM
  #61  
rosefarts
With a mighty wind
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,007
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 305 Posts
It drives me crazy when a car tries to help. If I don’t have the right of way, don’t stop! I can track stand for like 3 seconds on a good day. Cars stopping in the middle of a through road is simply a hazard to everyone involved. If I looked 10 years old, drunk, or disabled sure, approach cautiously.

Ive literally been cussed at for telling someone they had the right of way. Yesterday.

I want 3 feet, more if it’s possible and not much more.
rosefarts is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 05:30 PM
  #62  
Ptcycles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sylvania, OH
Posts: 71

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Roundabout

Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
"I think that round-a-bouts need metric speed limits to complete the picture."
Great observation, kahn. I noticed it, too.
Seems that when autos are in the roundabout there is little friction, (by the way what does the metric system have to do with anything), but when there is a minority involved, a bike, the minority looses control.Ignorance is always the problem. education and patience the solutuon.
Pete
Ptcycles is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 06:07 PM
  #63  
bowwow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Michigan
Posts: 113

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbiRobbi View Post
I kind of like the single lane ones as alternatives to four-way stops in low traffic areas, but I recently found out some neighborhoods near me put in circles in the middle of the intersections (and signs telling you to go around the circle counter-clockwise) but left up the stop signs. So itís still a four-way stop but with the extra step of going around the circle?!

Iím also not totally sure how itís supposed to work because with a regular one you yield to enter the circle and then have the right of way to exit. But with this, are you supposed to wait for someone else to complete their whole turn before going, or is it ok to enter the circle at the same time from opposite sides?
yikes, I can imagine the confusion. The stop signs would seemingly dictate who has right of way.
bowwow is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 06:31 PM
  #64  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,535

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 595 Posts
What gets me about roundabouts in my area is that even the two lanes ones are not consistent. One has the right lane as a through lane going east, or right turn lane only to go south. The next roundabout only two short blocks away has the right lane as a through lane going east, a right turn lane to go south or you can continue in that lane to the left and head north. This makes things confusing.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-05-21, 09:42 AM
  #65  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,326

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4538 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,487 Posts
of course, if we don't like roundabouts we can always go back to 5 way intersections
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-05-21, 09:47 AM
  #66  
Charliekeet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 756

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
yikes, I can imagine the confusion. The stop signs would seemingly dictate who has right of way.
Originally Posted by RobbiRobbi View Post
I kind of like the single lane ones as alternatives to four-way stops in low traffic areas, but I recently found out some neighborhoods near me put in circles in the middle of the intersections (and signs telling you to go around the circle counter-clockwise) but left up the stop signs. So itís still a four-way stop but with the extra step of going around the circle?!

Iím also not totally sure how itís supposed to work because with a regular one you yield to enter the circle and then have the right of way to exit. But with this, are you supposed to wait for someone else to complete their whole turn before going, or is it ok to enter the circle at the same time from opposite sides?
Yeah, it's fine to go into a circle with a stop sign while someone else is still in it. One just has to definitively STOP before entering, whether there's someone to yield to or not.

And that's preferable, cause as I said above, I have always suspected that a LOT of people simply do not know what yield means. Like, literally, I think a lot of people do not know the word, and then they come to a rotary and are fuzzy on what to do/not do. {Not that this excuses it in my book; they are stupid for not looking it up.}
  • "Vehicles entering or exiting a roundabout must yield to all traffic including pedestrians and bicycles."
  • "Drivers yield to any vehicles or bicyclists already in the roundabout."
Those rules are, unfortunately, too sophisticated for many drivers. They should say "You gotta let the cars IN the circle go past you before you can cross this line, and you will probably have to stop completely. THEY get to go, THEN you, and only when nobody's coming anywhere near you, or it's ALL YOUR FAULT."

And I think there should be more rotaries with stop signs (instead of yield triangles) to prevent these morons from failing, although that does mean that we lose the benefit of free flow through busy intersections.
Charliekeet is offline  
Old 08-05-21, 03:36 PM
  #67  
bowwow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Michigan
Posts: 113

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet View Post
Yeah, it's fine to go into a circle with a stop sign while someone else is still in it. One just has to definitively STOP before entering, whether there's someone to yield to or not.

And that's preferable, cause as I said above, I have always suspected that a LOT of people simply do not know what yield means. Like, literally, I think a lot of people do not know the word, and then they come to a rotary and are fuzzy on what to do/not do. {Not that this excuses it in my book; they are stupid for not looking it up.}
  • "Vehicles entering or exiting a roundabout must yield to all traffic including pedestrians and bicycles."
  • "Drivers yield to any vehicles or bicyclists already in the roundabout."
Those rules are, unfortunately, too sophisticated for many drivers. They should say "You gotta let the cars IN the circle go past you before you can cross this line, and you will probably have to stop completely. THEY get to go, THEN you, and only when nobody's coming anywhere near you, or it's ALL YOUR FAULT."

And I think there should be more rotaries with stop signs (instead of yield triangles) to prevent these morons from failing, although that does mean that we lose the benefit of free flow through busy intersections.
Another word they won't know is ®rotary®. Ha ha ha, only in Massachusetts!
bowwow is offline  
Likes For bowwow:
Old 08-07-21, 07:08 PM
  #68  
sovende
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western WI (USA)
Posts: 518

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Roundabouts seem to be like the metric system and universal healthcare: Americans canít seem to figure them out even though itís just normal everywhere else in the world.
Ainít that the truth? 😜
sovende is offline  
Old 08-07-21, 07:16 PM
  #69  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,133

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11 View Post
...instead of being annoyed, maybe I should be thankful that at least some drivers err on the side of caution when encountering bikes on the road.
I know... I know... At least he saw ya. There's allot of ranchers where I ride and often they will completely stop for me to pass by. For others I am just another bump in road... Ha
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is online now  
Old 08-08-21, 08:18 PM
  #70  
Eiko
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval View Post
There's allot of ranchers where I ride and often they will completely stop for me to pass by. For others I am just another bump in road... Ha
I've noticed that the old farmers and ranchers are the most considerate and slow down and give me room on the roads.
Eiko is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.