Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Handlebar suggestions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Handlebar suggestions

Old 10-03-21, 02:01 PM
  #1  
Lolo03
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Handlebar suggestions

Good afternoon everyone,

I just picked up an SL6 S-works Quick Step edition.
The person who I bought it from removed the handlebars and stem and put a aluminum set. I want to upgrade to a carbon set. any suggestions to good road bike handlebars? I was looking at some prime doyenne aero handlebars or prime primavera handlebars.
I am looking for carbon in both handlebars and stem. I was reading some people using amazon bars and some from aliexpress. so I am looking for all suggestions. I am not trying to break the bank. thank you
Lolo03 is offline  
Old 10-03-21, 04:43 PM
  #2  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,168

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 654 Posts
There are a multitude of options available based on your desire of width, reach, drop, stem length..... is this your first road bike? If not, you should have an idea on bar and stem sizing , now it just a matter of budget. If it is your first road bike, I would ride what you have on it first, determine if you like the size of the bars and length of the stem. Othewise, go get a fitting where they will put you on different sizing so you can get a better idea.
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

jaxgtr is offline  
Old 10-03-21, 04:51 PM
  #3  
Lolo03
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
There are a multitude of options available based on your desire of width, reach, drop, stem length..... is this your first road bike? If not, you should have an idea on bar and stem sizing , now it just a matter of budget. If it is your first road bike, I would ride what you have on it first, determine if you like the size of the bars and length of the stem. Othewise, go get a fitting where they will put you on different sizing so you can get a better idea.
I gotta measure my current road bike
Lolo03 is offline  
Old 10-03-21, 04:53 PM
  #4  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,168

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 654 Posts
if you have another road bike, do you like the width, drop, reach?? If so, do you have a budget?
__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap AXS | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

jaxgtr is offline  
Old 10-03-21, 04:57 PM
  #5  
Lolo03
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
if you have another road bike, do you like the width, drop, reach?? If so, do you have a budget?
my other bike a berria belador. Super comfy but the ride is more aggressive as itís an aero bike. But it is very comfy. Man a budget, 100-250. Somewhere in between. Then I need a stem lol. Carbon as well
Lolo03 is offline  
Old 10-03-21, 05:21 PM
  #6  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,575

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 160 Posts
Unless you understand what sort dimensions you need for your stem and handlebars to ensure a proper fit, trying to upgrade without spending any real time with the bike as it sits now, especially looking for carbon fibre, on a specific budget, is just absurd.
Moisture is offline  
Likes For Moisture:
Old 10-03-21, 11:02 PM
  #7  
Rolla
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,264 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Lolo03 View Post
Man a budget, 100-250. Somewhere in between. Then I need a stem lol. Carbon as well
I'd keep the aluminum stem for awhile and increase the handlebar budget.
Rolla is offline  
Old 10-04-21, 08:07 AM
  #8  
jnbrown
Senior Member
 
jnbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 48 Posts
I just tried the Controltech Cougar bars which are the same as the Prime Primavera.
They seem well made and I noticed less road vibration, but I did not like the shape especially the dip on the top at the bend.
Ended up returning them and staying with my trusted FSA WIng Pro aluminum bar.
jnbrown is offline  
Old 10-04-21, 09:10 AM
  #9  
Lolo03
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla View Post
I'd keep the aluminum stem for awhile and increase the handlebar budget.
that is always an option
Lolo03 is offline  
Old 10-04-21, 09:11 AM
  #10  
Lolo03
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
I just tried the Controltech Cougar bars which are the same as the Prime Primavera.
They seem well made and I noticed less road vibration, but I did not like the shape especially the dip on the top at the bend.
Ended up returning them and staying with my trusted FSA WIng Pro aluminum bar.
exactly what I am looking. Thank you for info
Lolo03 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.