Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stretching Suggestions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stretching Suggestions

Old 11-16-21, 09:49 AM
  #76  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,204

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Stretching isn't going to prevent broken bones, dislocated shoulder, broken wrist, concussions, internal injuries, broken clavicle, torn rotator cuff or any other injuries in an event of a crash.
LOL!
There so much more to the Human condition than your small universe...
The result of which is often a trail of conditions and situations which might lead to a 'result'

hmmmmm....

"Stretching, however is one good treatment/salve for the Life hampered by 'Contention"...
https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...ching-routine/
Stretch On
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 10:05 AM
  #77  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,403

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Liked 8,877 Times in 4,943 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
LOL!
There so much more to the Human condition than your small universe...
The result of which is often a trail of conditions and situations which might lead to a 'result'

hmmmmm....

"Stretching, however is one good treatment/salve for the Life hampered by 'Contention"...
https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...ching-routine/
Stretch On
Yuri

You know that none of that is actually a "routine", right? Yes, we all stretch like that for a few seconds when we get out of bed or whatever, it has absolutely nothing to do with a several minute routine. Also, are these critters doing it to prevent injuries in a bike crash? That's truly remarkable.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 10:32 AM
  #78  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,204

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You know that none of that is actually a "routine", right? Yes, we all stretch like that for a few seconds when we get out of bed or whatever, it has absolutely nothing to do with a several minute routine. Also, are these critters doing it to prevent injuries in a bike crash? That's truly remarkable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
LOL!
There so much more to the Human condition than your small universe...
The result of which is often a trail of conditions and situations which might lead to a 'result'
....
"Stretching, however is one good treatment/salve for the Life hampered by 'Contention"...
https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...ching-routine/
Stretch On
Yuri

check it out... https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...ching-routine/

EDIT: ...ok... the reason some 'expert' sources poopoo stretching is because the vast majority of humans NEVER stretch... and then going into some relatively extensive stretch routine, can be injurious...
moderation... incremental/small increments - has become a guideline for me, in most everything...
I just came back from 3 days skiing at Mammoth, 1st skiing in almost 2 yrs ... got there at lunch... went up and did 'drills'/tech refresh/awareness/balance/separation drills... next morning went to intermediate stuff... then after lunch to the 'objective', my FAV drops on the Upper Mtn... was wonderful getting every level of winter motion and experience...
"pandiculation" is a good start... your circulatory system makes everything happen... start the blood flowing and only good things result.
no one goes out on the track for a 'Kilo' or sprint race without some serious 'warmup... why not start and continue your day with warmup - AKA stretching ?

EDIT2: in case you were wondering... it was a wonderful 3 days...

Cornice, Dropouts1-3,chr 23, Wipeouts 1-3

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-16-21 at 11:05 AM. Reason: no one likes thin tea...
cyclezen is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 10:41 AM
  #79  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,403

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Liked 8,877 Times in 4,943 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
LOL!
There so much more to the Human condition than your small universe...
The result of which is often a trail of conditions and situations which might lead to a 'result'
....
"Stretching, however is one good treatment/salve for the Life hampered by 'Contention"...
https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...ching-routine/
Stretch On
Yuri

check it out... https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...ching-routine/

"You will observe that no dog gets up and walks off without thoroughly stretching himself, from the nose to the tip of his tail. "

Yeah, no. Obviously never saw a dog waking up to the sound of an opening can. They pop right onto all fours.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 11:14 AM
  #80  
Iride01 
post cholecystectomy
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 12,908

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5280 Post(s)
Liked 3,806 Times in 2,645 Posts
Notice that none of those animals in the pictures were about to get up and ride their bicycle. <grin> Probably most lay back down.

I'm okay with stretching. Just not okay with claims that one must stretch before riding a bike. If you want to fine. If you need too because of a physiological condition, then definitely.

I'm stretching out various limbs and parts of my body all day long at random times and a random body part. I even find myself stretching something unconsciously throughout the day. I'd have thought others do too.

Because of that I don't think it necessary to uphold stretching as a necessary thing for everyone before getting on a bike for exercise. I generally start my rides midday or later. So by that time I've already performed some random stretches and activities that have limbered me up.

Probably need to stop here before I get too deep to extricate myself. If you have a different opinion that's okay. Everyone when you get down to dissecting things has a different opinion. Many never see it because they aren't willing to discuss their views fully enough to get to that level of disagreement.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-16-21, 02:57 PM
  #81  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,403

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Liked 8,877 Times in 4,943 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Notice that none of those animals in the pictures were about to get up and ride their bicycle. <grin> Probably most lay back down.

I'm okay with stretching. Just not okay with claims that one must stretch before riding a bike. If you want to fine. If you need too because of a physiological condition, then definitely.

I'm stretching out various limbs and parts of my body all day long at random times and a random body part. I even find myself stretching something unconsciously throughout the day. I'd have thought others do too.

Because of that I don't think it necessary to uphold stretching as a necessary thing for everyone before getting on a bike for exercise. I generally start my rides midday or later. So by that time I've already performed some random stretches and activities that have limbered me up.

Probably need to stop here before I get too deep to extricate myself. If you have a different opinion that's okay. Everyone when you get down to dissecting things has a different opinion. Many never see it because they aren't willing to discuss their views fully enough to get to that level of disagreement.

Amen!

People really do vary as to their natural elasticity, there's actual variation in the makeup of the muscles. Knowing this, it just seems incredibly unlikely that everyone is going to experience the same benefits or lack thereof from stretching.

I would like to see a dog do the Downward Yogi though.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 11-17-21, 08:24 AM
  #82  
CrimsonEclipse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
My doctor made the same suggestion. But I donít feel limber enough to even start yoga.
No such thing as 'limber enough' for yoga.
Just start attending beginner and gentle classes. It will make a difference and once you get over the awkwardness, becomes a rewarding experience.
Most students start out being unable to touch their toes.
It will also prepare you for getting older.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is my issue, I am not at all a stretchy person, so stretching actually is really unpleasant for me. As far as I can tell, my lack of stretchiness prevents me from performing interpretive dances and makes stretching exercises difficult, but is otherwise not any detriment to my workouts/rides or activities of daily living.

Alas, my career as a contortionist will never amount to much.

When you say you're "stiff", is that a source of pain or otherwise hindering what you want to do? Honest question, I just find the desire to stretch really hard to relate to.
Because it hurts you're not inclined to stretch and since you're not inclined to stretch, it hurts.
Yoga teaches you to stretch mindfully. So, instead of the meathead 'no pain no gain' attitude that increases the risk of injury, it teaches you to find your limits and only push yourself to what is appropriate for you... on that day... in the condition you are in now.
CrimsonEclipse is offline  
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 11-17-21, 08:58 AM
  #83  
Stan Heinricher
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 39

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I recommend a book by Swami Vishnudevananda called the Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga. Despite the usefulness of this book in promoting looseness, no book can serve as a substitute for making a trip to a physical therapist for an exam. The physio can analyze your tightnesses and recommend targeted stretches that will bring relief. For example, although I had been practicing the basic 12 yoga stretches for years, my thighs still experienced a strange weakness whenever I got off the bike after a 25-mile ride. A physio showed me which stretches to perform -- stretches absent from the yoga book -- that fixed the tightness and feeling of weakness
Stan Heinricher is offline  
Likes For Stan Heinricher:
Old 11-17-21, 11:04 AM
  #84  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,403

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Liked 8,877 Times in 4,943 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Because it hurts you're not inclined to stretch and since you're not inclined to stretch, it hurts.
Yoga teaches you to stretch mindfully. So, instead of the meathead 'no pain no gain' attitude that increases the risk of injury, it teaches you to find your limits and only push yourself to what is appropriate for you... on that day... in the condition you are in now.

It's less comfortable for me because my joints likely contain less elastin than yours. Stretching doesn't change that. You missed my point entirely--my range of motion is fine and hasn't been any different since my childhood and I'm 60. I get no discernible benefit from hyperextending my muscles and it's uncomfortable, so I don't make it a practice. You think I'm mixing cause and effect and it's my lack of doing stretches that makes stretches uncomfortable. I don't agree, but I also don't think it matters anyway because that kind of flexibility has no importance to me.

So basically, you're missing the point--being stretchy is of no importance to me as a value in itself, and after a lot of effort, even if I did make my joints more elastic, it would be by a small amount, and have absolutely no bearing on my quality of life. I bend my knees to tie my shoes, who cares?

BTW, I'm in pretty great condition, it has nothing to do with that.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 11-17-21, 12:44 PM
  #85  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,204

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
Because it hurts you're not inclined to stretch and since you're not inclined to stretch, it hurts.
Yoga teaches you to stretch mindfully. So, instead of the meathead 'no pain no gain' attitude that increases the risk of injury, it teaches you to find your limits and only push yourself to what is appropriate for you... on that day... in the condition you are in now.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's less comfortable for me because my joints likely contain less elastin than yours. Stretching doesn't change that. You missed my point entirely--my range of motion is fine and hasn't been any different since my childhood and I'm 60. I get no discernible benefit from hyperextending my muscles and it's uncomfortable, so I don't make it a practice. You think I'm mixing cause and effect and it's my lack of doing stretches that makes stretches uncomfortable. I don't agree, but I also don't think it matters anyway because that kind of flexibility has no importance to me.
So basically, you're missing the point--being stretchy is of no importance to me as a value in itself, and after a lot of effort, even if I did make my joints more elastic, it would be by a small amount, and have absolutely no bearing on my quality of life. I bend my knees to tie my shoes, who cares?
BTW, I'm in pretty great condition, it has nothing to do with that.
not to be contentious, nor try to change your view, not an attack...
CrimsonEclipse focuses on yoga as a good approach to mindful review of self and current state (this moment/now not before or down the road).
You may be content with yourself at this time, the OP, me and many of us may not be that content.
I get that you may not feel you need yoga now or don;t value further 'flexibility' - I dislike lifting weights in a gym (don;t like gyms much...) , so I have stuff in my yard, kettlebells, old bags of sakrete, stretch bands, assorted stuff which works - I don;t mind doin this stuff where I can watch the birds, feel the breeze and sun (shade) - way better for me.
Yoga offers a way for overall physical betterment, which also reaches into a stronger awareness of 'self'.
and it helps improve whatever the road is for the inevitable 'aging'.
our own specific path is not a clear definition... but where we're going is clearly visible. How we get there is in our hands.
at 72, I know I'm not expecting what I was at 40, or any point prior.
Yoga is not just 'flexibility' it also become about 'strength' as one becomes a regular practitioner, and strength which promotes further self-awareness - they go hand in hand.
Everything I do, is done better, with more pleasure, with balance, strength, flexibility and mindfulness... It improves my ability to think clearer, deeper.
I've had 3+ yrs of intense & very frequent chemotherapy, it's not only physically debilitating but also creates an incredible brain-fog. I stopped yoga a few months into that - Big mistake ! I'm back in regular Yoga practice for a few months, so glad. Now hoping to take a hiatus from the chemo - all good signs.
My instructor, for quite some years, has quietly noticed my 'changes' and has quietly encouraged my work to improvement. I credit her for accelerating my desire to be the best I can be.
Nothing is forever...
Yoga may not be for 'now', but keep it as a possible for the next 'now', at some point if you wish more for yourself, of yourself.
Ride On
Yuri
BTW, I'm ok with me 'now', and if there are future 'nows' there may be improvements as a result of what I do 'now'

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-17-21 at 12:48 PM.
cyclezen is offline  
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-17-21, 02:12 PM
  #86  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,403

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Liked 8,877 Times in 4,943 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
Because it hurts you're not inclined to stretch and since you're not inclined to stretch, it hurts.
Yoga teaches you to stretch mindfully. So, instead of the meathead 'no pain no gain' attitude that increases the risk of injury, it teaches you to find your limits and only push yourself to what is appropriate for you... on that day... in the condition you are in now.


not to be contentious, nor try to change your view, not an attack...
CrimsonEclipse focuses on yoga as a good approach to mindful review of self and current state (this moment/now not before or down the road).
You may be content with yourself at this time, the OP, me and many of us may not be that content.
I get that you may not feel you need yoga now or don;t value further 'flexibility' - I dislike lifting weights in a gym (don;t like gyms much...) , so I have stuff in my yard, kettlebells, old bags of sakrete, stretch bands, assorted stuff which works - I don;t mind doin this stuff where I can watch the birds, feel the breeze and sun (shade) - way better for me.
Yoga offers a way for overall physical betterment, which also reaches into a stronger awareness of 'self'.
and it helps improve whatever the road is for the inevitable 'aging'.
our own specific path is not a clear definition... but where we're going is clearly visible. How we get there is in our hands.
at 72, I know I'm not expecting what I was at 40, or any point prior.
Yoga is not just 'flexibility' it also become about 'strength' as one becomes a regular practitioner, and strength which promotes further self-awareness - they go hand in hand.
Everything I do, is done better, with more pleasure, with balance, strength, flexibility and mindfulness... It improves my ability to think clearer, deeper.
I've had 3+ yrs of intense & very frequent chemotherapy, it's not only physically debilitating but also creates an incredible brain-fog. I stopped yoga a few months into that - Big mistake ! I'm back in regular Yoga practice for a few months, so glad. Now hoping to take a hiatus from the chemo - all good signs.
My instructor, for quite some years, has quietly noticed my 'changes' and has quietly encouraged my work to improvement. I credit her for accelerating my desire to be the best I can be.
Nothing is forever...
Yoga may not be for 'now', but keep it as a possible for the next 'now', at some point if you wish more for yourself, of yourself.
Ride On
Yuri
BTW, I'm ok with me 'now', and if there are future 'nows' there may be improvements as a result of what I do 'now'
Nope, I don't see that as contentious at all. I cannot say the same thing for someone who saw fit to tell me the "real reason" I don't like stretching like I don't know my own history.

Don't get me wrong--a member of my family teaches yoga, and I'm very respectful of the fact that a lot of people report such great benefits. I also think it's a lot more than simply a program of stretching and is really more of an entire fitness/health/mental health program. I just don't find it appealing to me, and a big part of that is that I would find the stretching aspects of it a drawback for me, not a feature. I'm certainly not telling people not to do it. I'm really happy that you have found something that works so well for you, and I really hope you get that chemo hiatus.

And if I'm not being clear enough, I absolutely respect what you're telling me about how yoga is helping you sustain and even improve your well-being through the general awfulness of prolonged chemo, and wish you nothing but the best.

Thanks!
livedarklions is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 08:32 AM
  #87  
razorjack
Newbie
 
razorjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So basically, you're missing the point--being stretchy is of no importance to me as a value in itself, and after a lot of effort, even if I did make my joints more elastic, it would be by a small amount, and have absolutely no bearing on my quality of life. I bend my knees to tie my shoes, who cares?
So what are You doing in this thread? just trolling ?
razorjack is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 08:36 AM
  #88  
razorjack
Newbie
 
razorjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm okay with stretching. Just not okay with claims that one must stretch before riding a bike. If you want to fine. If you need too because of a physiological condition, then definitely.
I think no one is forcing you to stretch? that would be a torture

Benefits are obvious, and most sportsmen do that before many activities, but at the end, it's about You and if you don't want to/don't believe/other reasons - that's fine
razorjack is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 08:49 AM
  #89  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,403

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8070 Post(s)
Liked 8,877 Times in 4,943 Posts
Originally Posted by razorjack
So what are You doing in this thread? just trolling ?

I was told there would be free food.

Seriously, I think I've explained what I'm doing here several times now--I think people should stretch if it helps them, but I really dislike the "you'll get injured if you don't" lie we've all been told since childhood.

I'm actually asking a lot of questions too because I'm always curious about how people experience things differently. I asked a simple question of OP (not a challenging one, just wanted to understand the problem).. CrimsonEclipse answered a question I didn't ask in a manner I found insulting, that's it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-18-21 at 08:55 AM.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-18-21, 11:13 AM
  #90  
Iride01 
post cholecystectomy
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 12,908

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5280 Post(s)
Liked 3,806 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by razorjack
I think no one is forcing you to stretch? that would be a torture

Benefits are obvious, and most sportsmen do that before many activities, but at the end, it's about You and if you don't want to/don't believe/other reasons - that's fine
That's true.

Is it wrong to state a viewpoint that maybe it's something that isn't necessary for everyone to do?

I'm not forcing anyone to agree with my opinion.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 01:31 PM
  #91  
CrimsonEclipse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Stan Heinricher
I recommend a book by Swami Vishnudevananda called the Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga. Despite the usefulness of this book in promoting looseness, no book can serve as a substitute for making a trip to a physical therapist for an exam. The physio can analyze your tightnesses and recommend targeted stretches that will bring relief. For example, although I had been practicing the basic 12 yoga stretches for years, my thighs still experienced a strange weakness whenever I got off the bike after a 25-mile ride. A physio showed me which stretches to perform -- stretches absent from the yoga book -- that fixed the tightness and feeling of weakness
Bonus:
My yoga instructors are also certified physical therapists!

Don't get me wrong, the books are a good source, but pale in comparison to a practice with a trained professional.
CrimsonEclipse is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.