Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will average speed be higher on a stationary bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will average speed be higher on a stationary bike?

Old 02-01-22, 07:29 PM
  #26  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 3,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 2,356 Times in 1,365 Posts
On Zwift rides on flat, I can regularly do 25 MPH, but IRL doing 25 on the flats with wind resistance is completely another thing. I even hit 55 MPH on one Zwift downhill. IRL very doubtful especially around 90 degree curves.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts” 🚴🏾‍♂️




rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-01-22, 09:32 PM
  #27  
tempocyclist
Senior Member
 
tempocyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 533

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 206 Posts
Zwift physics are super flattering. Mostly butter smooth roads, no wind, perfect aero, no corner braking. It's especially true if drafting (or even just the busy "conga line" streets of Richmond flat route).

It's a video game, I doubt it would be as popular if it made you slower than real life! 😅

Time spend on the trainer / spin bike should be measured in hours and output. Distance is meaningless (technically, the same could even be argued for outside).
tempocyclist is offline  
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 02-02-22, 03:49 AM
  #28  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,840
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,996 Times in 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
On Zwift rides on flat, I can regularly do 25 MPH, but IRL doing 25 on the flats with wind resistance is completely another thing. I even hit 55 MPH on one Zwift downhill. IRL very doubtful especially around 90 degree curves.
Of the various bike sim apps, I think RGT is the only one that simulates braking for sharp corners. The rest, like Zwift, just totally ignore cornering speed limitations. It doesn't really matter, but it's pretty easy to implement.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-02-22, 03:54 AM
  #29  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,840
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,996 Times in 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist View Post

Time spend on the trainer / spin bike should be measured in hours and output. Distance is meaningless (technically, the same could even be argued for outside).
Exactly. Mileage is not a very good indicator of workload in either the virtual or real worlds. It's just something people tend to log i.e. "Last season I did X miles". It says nothing about the riding terrain or workload. If you use TSS to log your workload, then mileage/speed is irrelevant anyway.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-02-22, 11:18 AM
  #30  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 2,610

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 593 Posts
The effort of pedaling on an indoor trainer/bicycle is just not the same as riding in the outdoors environment. Just so many factors involved. Trying to compare the two speed wise does not work so well. Measuring the intensity and wattage output would likely work better for comparison. I am not a fan of pedaling indoors. When I did it a few winters ago, I was doing intervals to break up the monotony. Also, for me, doing intervals indoor was much easier to keep the time and pace of the intervals where you want them, ergo, better for training.
delbiker1 is offline  
Old 02-02-22, 11:49 AM
  #31  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,958

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7315 Post(s)
Liked 7,557 Times in 4,244 Posts
When you get right down to it, the only good reason for logging your "miles" in that manner is motivational, you're doing it for yourself. If, for whatever reason, you find it easier to get yourself on the trainer by considering those miles "real", then go for it, and calibrate the miles in whatever manner you're most comfortable with and enthusiastic about.

Like everyone has pretty much pointed out, miles aren't really a good measure of effort in any form. I keep track of my real world miles because I find "I'm going to ride 125 miles today" a lot more motivating than "I'm going to spend 13 minutes in the hoozits zone" or whatever new-fangled metric it is the kids are chasing today.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-03-22, 09:52 AM
  #32  
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
BCDrums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MetroWest, Mass.
Posts: 478

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Exactly. On average, a stationary bike goes... 0 mph. It's stationary! Any number on the speedo is imaginary. The important numbers are work (heart rate?) and time.
I prefer to use miles. I understand that miles on a stationary bike are not directly translatable to road miles, but it allows me to compile a year-round effort in one metric. I accept its limitations.

Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr View Post
Pretend miles are pretend.
The effort to create the pretend miles is not pretend. I use the imaginary miles to reflect the effort. I could use a power meter, heart rate monitor, and timer (all good suggestions above) and I'd get a more scientific metric, but I'm not in training, I'm in exercise. I don't need the precision.

Your screen name always gives me a laugh. Thank you.

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
When you get right down to it, the only good reason for logging your "miles" in that manner is motivational, you're doing it for yourself. If, for whatever reason, you find it easier to get yourself on the trainer by considering those miles "real", then go for it, and calibrate the miles in whatever manner you're most comfortable with and enthusiastic about.

Like everyone has pretty much pointed out, miles aren't really a good measure of effort in any form. I keep track of my real world miles because I find "I'm going to ride 125 miles today" a lot more motivating than "I'm going to spend 13 minutes in the hoozits zone" or whatever new-fangled metric it is the kids are chasing today.
LDL makes a pretty good summary for me here. My goal in riding is enjoyment, and to remain fit (and vertical!) for quality of life. So I collect miles, and at the end of the year I feel good about my total.

Thanks all!
BCDrums is offline  
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 02-04-22, 07:41 AM
  #33  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,840
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,996 Times in 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums View Post
I prefer to use miles. I understand that miles on a stationary bike are not directly translatable to road miles, but it allows me to compile a year-round effort in one metric. I accept its limitations.
In that case I would simply calibrate your trainer speed sensor so it typically gives a similar average speed to what you achieve outdoors for a similar effort. Even if it's not quite equivalent to outdoors, you will still consistently log virtual "miles" on the trainer. So you will be able to see whether you did more or less trainer miles over a period of time along with a rough estimate of your equivalent overall mileage from adding indoor and outdoor mileage.

As you rightly say, the effort required to log pretend trainer miles is very much real!
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-04-22, 07:46 AM
  #34  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,362

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist View Post
Zwift physics are super flattering. Mostly butter smooth roads, no wind, perfect aero, no corner braking. It's especially true if drafting (or even just the busy "conga line" streets of Richmond flat route).

It's a video game, I doubt it would be as popular if it made you slower than real life! 😅

Time spend on the trainer / spin bike should be measured in hours and output. Distance is meaningless (technically, the same could even be argued for outside).
Yeah, the "infinite draft" thing is a bit silly. I sometimes will "world hack" to be in a really quiet more lonely area. Or jump on Rouvy instead.

Also, people have argued it to the ground trying to prove otherwise.........but Zwift is super super flattering for aero of what I would deem more average riders. You can infer from that what you want. But, Zwift flatters folks that wouldn't be so aero efficient in real life.
burnthesheep is offline  
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-04-22, 07:47 AM
  #35  
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
BCDrums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MetroWest, Mass.
Posts: 478

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
In that case I would simply calibrate your trainer speed sensor so it typically gives a similar average speed to what you achieve outdoors for a similar effort...As you rightly say, the effort required to log pretend trainer miles is very much real!
This, finally, is what I have done. Thanks.
BCDrums is offline  
Old 02-04-22, 11:33 AM
  #36  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 584 Posts
Whenever I'm really struggling with my speed on the trainer I just turn the fan around and... instant tailwind.
msu2001la is offline  
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-04-22, 12:50 PM
  #37  
bikebikebike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 504

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Lots of bad data out there

Small wheel circumferences are not well represented on the charts and may have larger variances if not calibrated.
there are speed/cadence charts to get a quick check
If all your numbers line up, good. If not it's a project to calibrate.

lots of bad data out there
Get data that is meaningfully comparable for you, unless you like math for sport
bikebikebike is offline  
Old 09-04-22, 02:44 PM
  #38  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6244 Post(s)
Liked 3,888 Times in 2,114 Posts
Don’t fool yourself, the average speed of any stationary bike will be zero mph.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-04-22, 03:15 PM
  #39  
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
BCDrums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MetroWest, Mass.
Posts: 478

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 109 Posts
Har!
BCDrums is offline  
Old 09-04-22, 04:46 PM
  #40  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,580
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Don’t fool yourself, the average speed of any stationary bike will be zero mph.
Perhaps more disturbing is that the average velocity for many outdoor bikes is also zero.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Old 09-04-22, 05:05 PM
  #41  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,275

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24218 Post(s)
Liked 7,918 Times in 5,551 Posts
.
...I'm thinking that as your Zwift speed approaches the velocity of light, there needs to be some compensation for time distortion due to relativity. Otherwise you might end up at your destination younger than when you started out. nttawwt
__________________
3alarmer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.