Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is wearing ear plugs for 2-3 bad for ears?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is wearing ear plugs for 2-3 bad for ears?

Old 03-18-22, 07:46 PM
  #26  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Kingdom of Qwaa
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I've tried different types of ear plugs, including the one linked on the OP and ofc, the foam types.

This is the best I came across. I even use it for sleeping. Compared to other designs, this one is quite resistant to deformation so they last quite long and the only one I got comfortable with. I did buy the smallest size and choosing the right size would be important among earplugs. Too small, it might not seal well, too big, it's going to cause discomfort

qwaalodge is offline  
Old 03-18-22, 09:00 PM
  #27  
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,311

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Dany6
Hey guys,do you think wearing these ear plugs from pic below is bad for ears or can somehow damage (hearing) it?
i know there are flaps for helmets but i'm not using a helmet...
I'm asking cuz the wind's hitting my ears these days so hard that i'm affraid it could really damage my hearing...
CLICKHERE
Not sure about what you show, but I've been using disposable foam plugs for 25+ yrs. These...
I can use them 5-6 rides - if I do a quick rinse at ride end.
I have a high degree of hearing loss in the higher audible frequencies, and a high level of tinnitus - 'wind' induced noise really beats me up and makes it hard to hear anything else, during the ride and for an extended period after.
I use the ear plugs only when I'm riding solo, not in a group.
There's' enough sound coming thru to hear traffic, hear when other riders are close, and the sound is lower frequency, which is less damaging. It is difficult to understand conversation, especially from a distance, but that's no problem. At least not when riding solo.
If you haven't tried them, attenuating ear plugs can be bought in any drug store, inexpensively.
I have tried a number of alternative methods, like Cat-ears and Wind Blox - they work some... but not as much as ear plugs.
To approximate how these helmet strap add-ons work, place your forefinger along the front helmet strap, while riding. You'll immediately note the noise reduction from these strap add-ons.
For some riders, this may be enough.
I don;t listen to music, I pay attention to my ride - it's all about the ride.
Ride On
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Old 03-19-22, 03:54 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,077
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17721 Post(s)
Liked 14,018 Times in 6,660 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What? Could you speak up a little?
Life hurts. Get a helmet
indyfabz is online now  
Old 03-19-22, 04:45 AM
  #29  
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,613

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 9,086 Times in 5,052 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Life hurts. Get a helmet

My favorite version of this thread is when people claim listening to music through ear buds is hearing protection.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-19-22, 06:43 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,381

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5177 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,283 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
This is the best I came across. I even use it for sleeping
what if your co2 detector goes off?
rumrunn6 is online now  
Old 03-19-22, 07:01 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Speedway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Thornhill, Canada
Posts: 722

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
I wear disposable foam plugs when going for a ride when its cool out. If I don't I usually get a headache.
Not all foam plugs are made the equal. I have found some to be too dense/hard after an hour of wear. When I find a soft/pliable pair I'll stick to buying them.
I also wear plugs when I'm riding my motorcycle with either my full-face or half helmet especially when there's a lot of hi-ways involved.
Speedway2 is offline  
Old 03-19-22, 07:44 AM
  #32  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Kingdom of Qwaa
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
what if your co2 detector goes off?
I have team of professionals monitoring CO2 levels! Seriously, I have quite sensitive hearing. I can clearly comprehend normal volume speech with earplugs on so no problem with CO2 detector. Most kids are way too loud for my tolerance levels so I wear ear plugs whenever children are around.
qwaalodge is offline  
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 03-19-22, 07:50 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,381

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5177 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,283 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I have team of professionals monitoring CO2 levels! Seriously, I have quite sensitive hearing. I can clearly comprehend normal volume speech with earplugs on so no problem with CO2 detector. Most kids are way too loud for my tolerance levels so I wear ear plugs whenever children are around.
oh interesting. I asked because, we have smoke detectors that are hard wired in our home so when 1 goes off they all go off, they really get us up, like when the batteries go bad, we get false alarms & it's terrifyingly loud. we have battery operated co detectors (for carbon monoxide) in a cpl places in the house but they are not nearly loud enough, when we get false alarms like when the battery goes bad. maybe we haven't heard their full volume but so far they aren't nearly as loud

also I thought your ear plugs eliminated all sound

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-19-22 at 04:36 PM.
rumrunn6 is online now  
Old 03-19-22, 07:52 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,381

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5177 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,283 Posts
while riding my road bike I use mirrors but also rely on my hearing
when riding other bikes on short stretches of road I really rely on my hearing
recently I heard a snow plowing coming from behind me so I hopped on the sidewalk for a short distance until it passed
rumrunn6 is online now  
Old 03-19-22, 08:31 AM
  #35  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Kingdom of Qwaa
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh interesting. I asked because, we have smoke detectors that are hard wired in our home so when 1 goes off they all go off, they really get us up, like when the batteries go bad, we get false alarms & it's terrifyingly loud. we have battery operated co2 detectors in a cpl places in the house but they are not nearly loud enough, when we get false alarms like when the battery goes bad. maybe we haven't heard their full volume but so far they aren't nearly as loud

also I thought your ear plugs eliminated all sound
That's interesting, ours are independent units.

I have yet to try any portable sound-isolating device that completely eliminated all sound, even the ones that looks like headphones and covered the whole ears. I think the brain compensates for reduced background noise and amplifies hearing sensitivity, leading to diminishing effectiveness of sound insulating devices. The irony. In worst case scenario, I use fully sealed ear/headphones and play white noise.
qwaalodge is offline  
Old 03-19-22, 08:45 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,381

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5177 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,283 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
That's interesting, ours are independent units.

I have yet to try any portable sound-isolating device that completely eliminated all sound, even the ones that looks like headphones and covered the whole ears. I think the brain compensates for reduced background noise and amplifies hearing sensitivity, leading to diminishing effectiveness of sound insulating devices. The irony. In worst case scenario, I use fully sealed ear/headphones and play white noise.
whatever gets you thru the night, right? my brother wears a facemask. re:wired detectors, I guess the benefit is if there's a fire on another floor, the detector on the floor you are sleeping on will wake you
rumrunn6 is online now  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-19-22, 09:23 AM
  #37  
Callipygian Connoisseur
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
“CO2 detector?” Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those.
Kedosto is offline  
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 03-19-22, 09:57 AM
  #38  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Kingdom of Qwaa
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
ďCO2 detector?Ē Donít think Iíve ever seen one of those.

qwaalodge is offline  
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 03-19-22, 03:35 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
drlogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Wearing ear plugs of any kind and no helmet is setting yourself up for disaster in my opinion.

Better to get a head band. I've been using the Halo headbands for about 4 years now and they are awesome! They make one that is wider that can cover your ears if you so choose. I have one those too. You can pull it down lower than the guy in the photo below. The cool thing about these headbands is they are very absorbent and have a rubber "dam" over your eyes to channel sweat away from going in your eyes. It works.

https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-...over-p/mhb.htm


drlogik is offline  
Old 03-19-22, 04:36 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,381

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5177 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
ďCO2 detector?Ē Donít think Iíve ever seen one of those.
oops haha I meant co detectors (for carbon monoxide)
rumrunn6 is online now  
Old 03-19-22, 05:47 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: SE Wyoming
Posts: 607

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
edit... just realized that I assumed from the OP's reference of 2-3 in the title that they were talking about using earplugs for a two to three y.o. child that they carried with them on the ride. Now I see that they are asking about themselves.

so what does 2-3 mean? Or will I have found that out if I took the link?
I bet he means for 2-3 HOURS. While wind noise might be annoying (lot of it Wyoming), I don't think it will damage hearing and I can't imagine having plugs or ear buds that would interfere with things I need to hear.
Inusuit is offline  
Old 03-20-22, 10:12 AM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 921 Times in 567 Posts
I've worn earplugs pretty much daily for decades, and I think it has contributed to 'swimmer's ear'-

narrowing of the ear canal. My personal theory, not confirmed by ear doctor...
woodcraft is offline  
Old 05-01-22, 01:43 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
Not wearing a helmet could lead to permanent hearing loss IMO
Actually i kinda don't need it,even if i hit my head i think it wouldn't do much or rather any damage.I'm a tall person and over the years i've banged my head on various things i think now it's stiffened to the level almost if i was in shaolin temple training lol.In my opinion,i'd rather need hand/fist joint protection,the last crash i had have caused me injuries on bot left fist joint,and right hand small finger ligaments/tendons injury,not too bad but now it kinda limits me on doing daily stuff,it hurts yes but it's managable...

Originally Posted by CliffordK
A lot of my riding depends on listening for cars and vehicles around me.

I know that earplugs largely mute sounds and don't eliminate them, but I fear they would reduce vital safety information.

Perhaps make sure you have MIRRORS and use them.

And, keep the plugs clean, or use disposable ones.
The traffic isn't so bad where i live and it's a small city so i'm not concerned.I actually hear even better with earplugs,i know getting a mirror would be a good thing,but even without it i'm constantly doing quick checks to see if someone's overtaking me which has become a (good) habbit longer time ago.I'm doing those side checks even if i'm avoiding a branch or a pothole,cuz i know even a slight move to avoid them could lead to either me crashing against the vehicle that's overtaking me,or block the car behind me from overtaking me and somehow cause him to crash....Doing the same thing on sidewalks,never know when you'll have someone flying by next to you....

Originally Posted by imi
Iím a sound engineer. If youíre going to wear earplugs for hours a day, I would strongly recommend investing in custom moulded ones. -9 dB filter works great for most situations. Expensive, but your ears will thank you in the long run.
Recently i've discovered Decibullz plugs i think they're called,they are a bit pricy but if they isolate wind to a great level and is a good quality and if they last,then you realize it isn't actually pricy.But the problem is i can'r get them since i live in a place where the shipping would cost more then actual product,so i'd need to have someone else to get them for me....I watched it's review from some motorcyclist,he said it blocks wind under the helmet really really god,even tho i wouldn't have full face helemt while riding a bike i'm sure it'd still block wind noise pretty well.I'll have to see if there's any specialists that are making those custom ones that you've mentioned,with a mold.But i assume they'd be very pricy heh.

Originally Posted by Iride01
I was all set to tell you that the OP was asking about putting them in their 2-3 y.o. child that they carry with them. However now after reading the OP, I realize that's not so.

So what is 2-3 about? The OP has 2-3 ears? That'll be a problem since ear plugs come in pairs. <grin>
Ah yes,sorry about that heh.What i meant was 2-3 hours,i forgot to put it into title lol

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Not sure about what you show, but I've been using disposable foam plugs for 25+ yrs. These...
I can use them 5-6 rides - if I do a quick rinse at ride end.
I have a high degree of hearing loss in the higher audible frequencies, and a high level of tinnitus - 'wind' induced noise really beats me up and makes it hard to hear anything else, during the ride and for an extended period after.
I use the ear plugs only when I'm riding solo, not in a group.
There's' enough sound coming thru to hear traffic, hear when other riders are close, and the sound is lower frequency, which is less damaging. It is difficult to understand conversation, especially from a distance, but that's no problem. At least not when riding solo.
If you haven't tried them, attenuating ear plugs can be bought in any drug store, inexpensively.
I have tried a number of alternative methods, like Cat-ears and Wind Blox - they work some... but not as much as ear plugs.
To approximate how these helmet strap add-ons work, place your forefinger along the front helmet strap, while riding. You'll immediately note the noise reduction from these strap add-ons.
For some riders, this may be enough.
I don;t listen to music, I pay attention to my ride - it's all about the ride.
Ride On
Yuri
Thanks man,there are actually earplugs with filters as well,with caps and kinda like some small rubber ends that are sticking out,which should block wind noise pretty well but still enable to hear traffic and things like that also well.I'd get different models and types of those and experiment with them to see which one works the best for me,but can't since amazon and ebay shipping is too costy where i live...

Originally Posted by livedarklions
My favorite version of this thread is when people claim listening to music through ear buds is hearing protection.
Well,i think i'm the same thinking as you,don't know if wearing ear buds block any wind noise at all?But can't imagine getting wind noise and music "noise" combo at the same time,would be a disaster for me lol.

Originally Posted by drlogik
Wearing ear plugs of any kind and no helmet is setting yourself up for disaster in my opinion.

Better to get a head band. I've been using the Halo headbands for about 4 years now and they are awesome! They make one that is wider that can cover your ears if you so choose. I have one those too. You can pull it down lower than the guy in the photo below. The cool thing about these headbands is they are very absorbent and have a rubber "dam" over your eyes to channel sweat away from going in your eyes. It works.

https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-...over-p/mhb.htm
I'll have to buy a headband,especially would help when i ride on a cođd season.
i kinda understand not wearing a helmet is bad,and it could potentially save my head one day (hopefully that day never comes tho) but again..it's really not my style.
The only time i'd be wearing it if i had full kit,i mean jersey and bib shorts hah.But even tho if i decide to buy a helmet,i probably wouldn't pay less than 200 bucks for it.Since i'm gonna get something that could save my head one day,i wanna pay a better price and have it actually block the impact and potentional concussion...
I've seen in one of GCN's videos on yt,there's a company that makes special helmets that aren't "traditional" helmets.
I might be slightly wrong but i think the way they make them work better is they make the inside part of the helmet actually move,so when you fall and hit the concrete with the side of your head,the helmet would actually make your head "glide" and lower the chance of earning a concussion,it gives you a better rotational impact,i think it works something like that i'm not sure tho....

Originally Posted by Inusuit
I bet he means for 2-3 HOURS. While wind noise might be annoying (lot of it Wyoming), I don't think it will damage hearing and I can't imagine having plugs or ear buds that would interfere with things I need to hear.
Yeah 2-3 hours is what i wanted to say heh.It doesn't actually interfere with traffic (at least not for me),i can hear both traffic and if someone's yelling nearby,the only thing i wouldn't hear is if someone'd yell my name.Which i don't hear and notice even when i was riding without ear plugs lol,or sometimes i'd simply not bother to turn and look who's calling me and choose to ignore,2-3 seconds to check where and who's calling me could lead either hitting a pothole,crack or a hole or slamming against the car,so i choose the safer option lol.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I've worn earplugs pretty much daily for decades, and I think it has contributed to 'swimmer's ear'-

narrowing of the ear canal. My personal theory, not confirmed by ear doctor...
Huh,how does that happens?

Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I've tried different types of ear plugs, including the one linked on the OP and ofc, the foam types.

This is the best I came across. I even use it for sleeping. Compared to other designs, this one is quite resistant to deformation so they last quite long and the only one I got comfortable with. I did buy the smallest size and choosing the right size would be important among earplugs. Too small, it might not seal well, too big, it's going to cause discomfort

These ones looks like they'd work good for me,the ones i have that i posted work,but still get some of wind thru them,these ones looks a bit wider which i' need.

Last edited by Dany6; 05-01-22 at 01:49 AM.
Dany6 is offline  
Old 05-01-22, 05:29 AM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
coffeesnob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Va
Posts: 707

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I've worn earplugs pretty much daily for decades, and I think it has contributed to 'swimmer's ear'-

narrowing of the ear canal. My personal theory, not confirmed by ear doctor...
sure it's not tinnitus? I have had tinnitus for years and ear plugs dont make it worse.
coffeesnob is offline  
Old 05-01-22, 06:05 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,546

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 422 Posts
If you are going to use ear plugs, might want some that let you hear what is going on around you, but block out loud noises that can affect hearing (wish I had done it when I used to play in rock n'roll bands!) Like these: HEAROS High Fidelity Ear Plugs NRR12 Rated for Musicians, with Carrying Case
freeranger is offline  
Old 05-01-22, 10:46 AM
  #46  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 263 Posts
People are suckers for technical solutions that are overkill. Ear plugs for swimmers or for protecting the ears from loud noise are not needed to have warmer inner ears when bicycling. Cotton from a pill bottle in a small nickel diameter piece when inserted into the ear will keep out the wind and it can be disposed of when any ear wax accumulates on it. Small wonder the landfills are full of so much plastic trash.

I had a severe ear infection as a young child and so my ears are more sensitive to cold wind when outdoors. For 50+ years the use of cotton has made for safe and comfortable riding in cool weather. Cotton is always readily available and no plastic waste in the product or its packaging.
Calsun is offline  
Old 05-01-22, 11:09 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 921 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
sure it's not tinnitus? I have had tinnitus for years and ear plugs dont make it worse.

I have tinnitus as well, but I'm talking about what is more accurately called stenosis- the ear canal getting smaller due to bone growth in response to stimulus.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 05-01-22, 06:33 PM
  #48  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: southern California
Posts: 99

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Surprised to find this thread got so much traction based on multiple misinterpretations w/o OP clarifying. Glad they finally did. I found out by getting a notification of being quoted. Earlier in the thread I posted: "Not wearing a helmet could lead to permanent hearing loss IMO." It was an attempt at humor. To further clarify and avoid any misinterpretation my statement refers to the notion that a death occurring from not wearing a helmet would also include permanent hearing loss for the dead person.

To further misinterpret the original question, "Is wearing plugs for 2-3 bad for ears?" Does that mean bad for the one wearing the plugs, or the 1 or 2 that aren't?
Medium Size Dog is offline  
Old 05-06-22, 01:27 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
Surprised to find this thread got so much traction based on multiple misinterpretations w/o OP clarifying. Glad they finally did. I found out by getting a notification of being quoted. Earlier in the thread I posted: "Not wearing a helmet could lead to permanent hearing loss IMO." It was an attempt at humor. To further clarify and avoid any misinterpretation my statement refers to the notion that a death occurring from not wearing a helmet would also include permanent hearing loss for the dead person.

To further misinterpret the original question, "Is wearing plugs for 2-3 bad for ears?" Does that mean bad for the one wearing the plugs, or the 1 or 2 that aren't?
Hehe well there you go.
Actually that was a good one btw,the one abt not wearing a helmet (i just didn't get it right away lol).
I replied to other members that last part you're asking.
It refers to 2-3 hours,but i didn't put "hours" into title,cuz i forgor 👽.Hopefully it makes sense now hehe.
While i was scrolling down the thread and reading all the comments about guessing what 2-3 could mean was kinda funny reading from my perspective 😁😄.
Dany6 is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 05:18 PM
  #50  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,712

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3477 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
“CO2 detector?” Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those.
I'm sure the OP meant carbon MONOXIDE, but in any case, CO2 detectors do exist and are used in healthcare to measure end tidal CO2 concentration to assess ET tube placement, among other things.
JohnDThompson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.