Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Aluminum frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Aluminum frame

Old 04-13-22, 09:00 AM
  #1  
JRD
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 196

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Aluminum frame

I have a chance to pick this up for $500.00 is this a good deal? I am not familiar with the Specialized Brand. Does anyone here have one and what are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help and advice!

JRD is offline  
Old 04-13-22, 09:26 AM
  #2  
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,940

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,366 Posts
Are you certain that's a Roubaix Pro? Maybe a Roubaix Compact. Though I'm not certain what versions were out in 2008. Both older aluminum and newer CF was blended through that line up then.

Nice bike, but considering the components are so dated, when they start to give up the ghost, you will spend more money than the bike cost you. With those potential costs coming up and the to high for me asking price, you'll be putting a lot of money into an old bike.

Though if you can't find anything else, you'll have to pay what you have to pay if you want to ride. Make certain it fits you well. Though that stem would have to go before I rode it. Way too high. Maybe you can flip it and move some spacers to the top.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-13-22 at 09:30 AM.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 04-13-22, 09:28 AM
  #3  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,162

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 351 Posts
I have a couple of CF roubaixs from that era - a nice riding bike - but there is always a difference in the character of a bike, based on the frame material.
Geometry-wise, this model is still right in the mid-point of what is called these days as 'endurance', more upright than more 'race' oriented geo.
I'm sure the build is solid and will give long life/service. Condition of the components is something left to inspection...
If the bike fits, then finding something similar, new, would be more than double the price, given current situation.
One consideration... not a minus, a consideration... This frame design will only accept up to/including a 28mm size tire... so if you're thinking at any time to go larger/wider, the stays won;t accept wider/larger.
I do use 28mm on both of mine, and the ride is nicely compliant, and find no real need to go wider, on these bikes...
Ride the bike.. check it over... expect to replace consumables, tires, chain... check the chain to be sure it's not well past 'limits' (which could affect the condition of both the most used cogs and the chainrings...)
rarely do I find anyone who doesn't like the ride of a Roubaix....
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT - You have a Giant Defy CF, why would you want this? Beater/weather bike???

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-13-22 at 09:31 AM.
cyclezen is offline  
Old 04-13-22, 09:43 AM
  #4  
JRD
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 196

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
I have a couple of CF roubaixs from that era - a nice riding bike - but there is always a difference in the character of a bike, based on the frame material.
Geometry-wise, this model is still right in the mid-point of what is called these days as 'endurance', more upright than more 'race' oriented geo.
I'm sure the build is solid and will give long life/service. Condition of the components is something left to inspection...
If the bike fits, then finding something similar, new, would be more than double the price, given current situation.
One consideration... not a minus, a consideration... This frame design will only accept up to/including a 28mm size tire... so if you're thinking at any time to go larger/wider, the stays won;t accept wider/larger.
I do use 28mm on both of mine, and the ride is nicely compliant, and find no real need to go wider, on these bikes...
Ride the bike.. check it over... expect to replace consumables, tires, chain... check the chain to be sure it's not well past 'limits' (which could affect the condition of both the most used cogs and the chainrings...)
rarely do I find anyone who doesn't like the ride of a Roubaix....
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT - You have a Giant Defy CF, why would you want this? Beater/weather bike???
I had a Giant Defy I no longer own it. A long sad story
JRD is offline  
Old 04-13-22, 11:25 AM
  #5  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,162

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
I had a Giant Defy I no longer own it. A long sad story
Oh, we do like sad tales... do tell...
Ride On
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 04-13-22, 01:28 PM
  #6  
JRD
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 196

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts


This is what I had....

Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
Oh, we do like sad tales... do tell...
Ride On
Yuri
Yuri,

In 2017 I had to have both of my shoulders replaced, and I was not able to ride for a few years. So I sold it. Now that I am able to ride again I was looking for a replacement for it, and since our last post, I decided to contact the guy that I sold my Defy to, and he has only put a few hundred miles on it since I sold it to him so I offered to buy it back and he said yes! I will be picking it up in a few hours.

Oh HAPPY day!!!
JRD is offline  
Likes For JRD:
Old 04-13-22, 05:20 PM
  #7  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,162

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by JRD View Post

... I decided to contact the guy that I sold my Defy to, and he has only put a few hundred miles on it since I sold it to him so I offered to buy it back and he said yes! I will be picking it up in a few hours.
Oh HAPPY day!!!
Hurrah ! Wunderbar !

Ride ON !
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Old 04-13-22, 05:31 PM
  #8  
Bosco13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Not sure what the forum rules are, but I have a 2007 Roubaix Pro with the Fact 8r carbon frame that I would be willing to let go for slightly more. As said above, I don't think the aluminum version was ever called a Pro.
Bosco13 is offline  
Old 04-17-22, 02:24 PM
  #9  
Freerojo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 170

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I have a 2008 Roubaix Triple Elite 105 that is Carbon.
Freerojo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.