Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Old 05-07-22, 07:02 PM
  #151  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,179

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked 3,166 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
That half the distance is BS. A bike is 40 inches long.
A bike is 40 inches long? You riding a strider?
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 07:07 PM
  #152  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
A bike is 40 inches long? You riding a strider?

1 up vs 2 up with two riders whether 40 or 100 inches wheelbase is trivial for a vehicle passing at 1000 inches per second. Get it?
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 07:09 PM
  #153  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,251

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19703 Post(s)
Liked 8,209 Times in 4,139 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
1 up vs 2 up with two riders whether 40 or 100 inches wheelbase is trivial for a vehicle passing at 1000 inches per second. Get it?
We get it - neither math nor logic are strong points.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-07-22, 07:17 PM
  #154  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,170
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4983 Post(s)
Liked 7,219 Times in 3,129 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
that’s a national championship jersey on the left is it not?
It is not.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 07:26 PM
  #155  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 759 Posts
It is just so very damned sad thinking of all the cyclists that I have ridden with who have died or been hit.

I take the lane plenty. But my first thought is not whether I am allowed by law but is there any chance I could be killed. Several times per year, I stop. Wait for traffic to clear. And walk across the street. I get yelled at. The funny part? I am usually exceeding the speed limit (on my recumbent) when taking the lane and the idiot cager usually almost crashes to yell at me. The other thought that I have taking a lane is the extent to which I will be inconvenienced vs further perturbing a demented cager. In short.....not an easy environment for us cyclists to ride on the roads.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 07:39 PM
  #156  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,170
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4983 Post(s)
Liked 7,219 Times in 3,129 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
It is just so very damned sad thinking of all the cyclists that I have ridden with who have died or been hit.

I take the lane plenty. But my first thought is not whether I am allowed by law but is there any chance I could be killed. Several times per year, I stop. Wait for traffic to clear. And walk across the street. I get yelled at. The funny part? I am usually exceeding the speed limit (on my recumbent) when taking the lane and the idiot cager usually almost crashes to yell at me. The other thought that I have taking a lane is the extent to which I will be inconvenienced vs further perturbing a demented cager. In short.....not an easy environment for us cyclists to ride on the roads.
Why do you keep calling motorists "cagers"?
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 07:44 PM
  #157  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,179

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked 3,166 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Why do you keep calling motorists "cagers"?
Yeah, basketball is a popular sport, but not every driver plays basketball.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 07:56 PM
  #158  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 907 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Well I guess that's one way to convince yourself that you're right.

Seriously though, a windy descent sounds like a place where a car shouldn't try to overtake a cyclist in the first place. Maybe they were riding two abreast to try and discourage such dangerous driving. Like WhyFi, I'm open to hearing more details to see if maybe we're misunderstanding you, but feel free to block me too if you feel that's more productive than civil discourse.
. I have lead rides for years for Seattle’s largest cycling club where one rule at the beginning of each ride lecture is always ride single file if there are cars around. Why? So we don’t piss them off and/or get killed. Seems like very clear reasoning to me since there are plenty of aggressive drivers who don’t like cyclists. The curves in question that day had a 6’ shoulder, which I have ridden dozens of times either alone with the club. There was zero reason to take the lane to impede traffic since the shoulder is plenty wide, nicely paved with no obstacles. IMO, they were being inconsiderate, needlessly endangering themselves and creating ill will for no good reason. Being considerate of all is good practice when practical and in this instance it was very practical. If there was zero to little shoulder we would be having a different conversation since there are decents where I do take the road because the guard rails are right against the lane with no shoulder. My safety takes precedence there but I can also travel as fast as the cars at 40 MPH. Hope this clarifies things.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”




Last edited by rsbob; 05-16-22 at 08:56 PM.
rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-07-22, 08:11 PM
  #159  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,251

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19703 Post(s)
Liked 8,209 Times in 4,139 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
It is just so very damned sad thinking of all the cyclists that I have ridden with who have died or been hit.

I take the lane plenty. But my first thought is not whether I am allowed by law but is there any chance I could be killed. Several times per year, I stop. Wait for traffic to clear. And walk across the street. I get yelled at. The funny part? I am usually exceeding the speed limit (on my recumbent) when taking the lane and the idiot cager usually almost crashes to yell at me. The other thought that I have taking a lane is the extent to which I will be inconvenienced vs further perturbing a demented cager. In short.....not an easy environment for us cyclists to ride on the roads.
Are you under the impression that we're advocating taking the lane out of pure spite or entitlement? No, we're not.

We know it's not easy and most of us are just looking to make things safer for ourselves. We know that there are times when taking the lane is safer, even it if rubs someone the wrong way because they don't understand our need, logic, or intent. I think that I'm judiciously assertive. You think I'm an ******* that inflames relations. You think your caution is warranted. I think that to regularly demure sends and reinforces the wrong message - that we're second-class users of the infrastructure.

Frankly, I think that we just need to act like we belong there, because we do. Be predictable. Respect when others have the right of way and don't shrink when you have the right of way. Be courteous when you can. Be assertive when it's warranted.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-07-22, 08:14 PM
  #160  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,251

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19703 Post(s)
Liked 8,209 Times in 4,139 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
I blocked WhyFi months ago, so no worries. I have lead rides for years for Seattle’s largest cycling club where one rule at the beginning of each ride lecture is always ride single file if there are cars around. Why? So we don’t piss them off. Seems like very clear reasoning to me since there are plenty of aggressive drivers who don’t like cyclists. The curves in question that day had a 6’ shoulder, which I have ridden dozens of times either alone with the club. There was zero reason to take the lane to impede traffic since the shoulder is plenty wide, nicely paved with no obstacles. IMO, they were being inconsiderate, needlessly endangering themselves and creating ill will for no good reason. Being considerate of all is good practice when practical and in this instance it was very practical. If there was zero to little shoulder we would be having a different conversation since there are decents where I do take the road because the guard rails are right against the lane with no shoulder. My safety takes precedence there but I can also travel as fast as the cars at 40 MPH. Hope this clarifies things.
Let's see the road.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 05-07-22, 08:16 PM
  #161  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,690

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6620 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,598 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
Well, it’s apparent my initial post struck a nerve. Only you know whether or not the shoe fits.

Everyone posting in this thread (other than OP) is ignorant of the facts of the event as it occurred, you included. It’s entirely possible the whole story was fabricated. Offering opinion without knowledge of the facts is the very definition of speculation.

No your initial post and this one are so far off the mark as to be hilarious. So you're now saying we shouldn't be commenting because OP might be lying? Enjoy your clown shoes, that's literally the stupidest thing I've heard all week.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 09:10 PM
  #162  
Airfehr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Why do you keep calling motorists "cagers"?
You are safe in your enclosure, car, cage. You also miss experiencing the world around you. I know the term from the motorcycle world.
Airfehr is offline  
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 05-07-22, 09:19 PM
  #163  
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
No your initial post and this one are so far off the mark as to be hilarious. So you're now saying we shouldn't be commenting because OP might be lying? Enjoy your clown shoes, that's literally the stupidest thing I've heard all week.
What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to come at me? I never addressed you. I never mentioned you or your posts yet YOU felt compelled to quote “once again, the usual BF Opinion Police are in full force.” Triggered much?

Let’s look at the facts here -
OP posts about an exchange he had with a cyclist. None of us know the facts as they relate to the incident. We are all ignorant of the facts, and yet…
YOU posted “your concern wasn’t safety.”
YOU posted “you were mad because he slowed you down.”
YOU posted “you made up an excuse to tell him off.”
YOU don’t know whether the cyclist was in the lane legally or was required to “ride in the side lane.”
YOU claim “drivers yelling out of car windows is one of the major reasons cyclists hate drivers.”

Your statements are ignorant of the facts, and entirely speculative. Plain and simple. Please quote where I stated “we shouldn’t be commenting because OP might be lying.”
Kedosto is offline  
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-07-22, 09:22 PM
  #164  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 907 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to come at me? I never addressed you. I never mentioned you or your posts yet YOU felt compelled to quote “once again, the usual BF Opinion Police are in full force.” Triggered much?

Let’s look at the facts here -
OP posts about an exchange he had with a cyclist. None of us know the facts as they relate to the incident. We are all ignorant of the facts, and yet…
YOU posted “your concern wasn’t safety.”
YOU posted “you were mad because he slowed you down.”
YOU posted “you made up an excuse to tell him off.”
YOU don’t know whether the cyclist was in the lane legally or was required to “ride in the side lane.”
YOU claim “drivers yelling out of car windows is one of the major reasons cyclists hate drivers.”

Your statements are ignorant of the facts, and entirely speculative. Plain and simple. Please quote where I stated “we shouldn’t be commenting because OP might be lying.”
Maybe you understand why I blocked him. Tired of reading that stuff.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”



rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-07-22, 09:34 PM
  #165  
Cramic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 55

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to come at me? I never addressed you. I never mentioned you or your posts yet YOU felt compelled to quote “once again, the usual BF Opinion Police are in full force.” Triggered much?

Let’s look at the facts here -
OP posts about an exchange he had with a cyclist. None of us know the facts as they relate to the incident. We are all ignorant of the facts, and yet…
YOU posted “your concern wasn’t safety.”
YOU posted “you were mad because he slowed you down.”
YOU posted “you made up an excuse to tell him off.”
YOU don’t know whether the cyclist was in the lane legally or was required to “ride in the side lane.”
YOU claim “drivers yelling out of car windows is one of the major reasons cyclists hate drivers.”

Your statements are ignorant of the facts, and entirely speculative. Plain and simple. Please quote where I stated “we shouldn’t be commenting because OP might be lying.”
He’s been doing similar to me. Replying to and quoting me when I’ve been talking to someone else. He didn’t seem to be comprehending well so I didn’t engage.
Cramic is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 11:18 PM
  #166  
MarcusT
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
If he didn't want other people to express their opinions on the facts as he stated them, then he shouldn't have posted. And to call commenting on them "ignorant speculation" just demonstrates that you are ignorant of the meaning of the words "ignorant" and "speculation".
When and where did that happen?
MarcusT is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 11:57 PM
  #167  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,690

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6620 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,598 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
When and where did that happen?

You stated your "facts" in your first post.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 12:32 AM
  #168  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,690

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6620 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,598 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
Please quote where I stated “we shouldn’t be commenting because OP might be lying.”
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
It’s entirely possible the whole story was fabricated. Offering opinion without knowledge of the facts is the very definition of speculation.

There. I defy you to come up with any other plausible interpretation of " the whole story was fabricated."

Yes, I drew reasonable inferences from what op actually posted. No, they are not "ignorant speculation".
You chose to put out an insult of posters on this thread and want to pretend that just because you didn't put names on it, it's unreasonable to react. As far as being triggered, I guess "come after you" means quoting your own generalized insult and showing why it doesn't hold water. Why does that trigger you so much that you end up denying saying things you obviously said?

Hey, don't want an argument? Maybe don't insult people whether or not you identify them by name. It's enough identification that they are people posting on this thread that you either meant to troll a response or you're completely clueless about what happens when you insult people. Your choice.

By his own account, the OP was able to safely pass the cyclist after 1km. OP was very clear what he was claiming was the "safety" concern, and it's not just speculation on my part that the particular concern is transparently implausible. You want to disagree with that opinion, fine.

Also by his own account, OP was "yelling" at the cyclist while passing him. It's my informed opinion as a driver that that is never a safe practice, and I really don't care what the context is. People shouldn't do that.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-22, 03:55 AM
  #169  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 7,256

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 2,092 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Airfehr View Post
Taking a bike lock to a car fight sounds like a good way to get run over. Or shot.

Fun thread where the OP calls out a cyclist for being an ass and the major response is the OP was in a cage and therefor impatient and rude.

Here is an example of a group of cyclists exercising their right to use up a 50 mph roadway. I bike here frequently. I'd say they have an elitist attitude by having no consideration for those they share the road with. I would give them a honk. The same way I would ring my bell to a group of pedestrians blocking the MUP. Most cases people have no situational awareness.

"every time i hit your crystal city
you know you're gonna make a wreck out of me."
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 05:05 AM
  #170  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,145

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Given the massive imbalance between the numbers of drivers and the numbers of cyclists, I don't think there's any way that could possibly be true. I agree that the large majority of drivers are pretty good, but encountering scary bad ones is not an unusual occurrence in my neck of the woods. I was almost hit by one this morning.
I can't comment on theory or statistical probability. But, my experience in 40 years of cycling is what I said. To add a bit more context, I lived for 25 yrs in a semi-rural area that has a university that I lived near. The last 15 yrs I've lived two towns away in CTs most agrarian town. We have one blinking traffic light at the Town Hall. And, many of the idiot cyclists I see are in my club. Lots of middle aged, ex-runners who are strong but have no idea about cycling.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 05:16 AM
  #171  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,690

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6620 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,598 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
I can't comment on theory or statistical probability. But, my experience in 40 years of cycling is what I said. To add a bit more context, I lived for 25 yrs in a semi-rural area that has a university that I lived near. The last 15 yrs I've lived two towns away in CTs most agrarian town. We have one blinking traffic light at the Town Hall. And, many of the idiot cyclists I see are in my club. Lots of middle aged, ex-runners who are strong but have no idea about cycling.

Fair enough. College towns are different.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 05:35 AM
  #172  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,193
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15529 Post(s)
Liked 9,544 Times in 4,676 Posts
Originally Posted by Airfehr View Post
Most cases people have no situational awareness.
I agree 100%. I drive, ride and walk in highly populated areas. I constantly have to take action to avoid people who are moving around without any clue as to how their actions are affecting others around them. It’s as if they are the only ones around.
indyfabz is online now  
Old 05-08-22, 05:39 AM
  #173  
Bogey Speedwell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: SW WI
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
Italian driver and cyclist both yelling and gesticulating with both hands.

What could go wrong.

(wife and family are Italian and hands/arms flail when excited)
this statement violates so many PC guidelines, there has to be many convulsing on the floor or curled up shaking in the corner
Bogey Speedwell is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 09:07 AM
  #174  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,145

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
my grandparents often exclaimed "oofa!" but this comes close
https://youtu.be/7oXtISrMwVc
"Oofa"....haven't heard that in a long time. My grandparents Teresina and Carmine said it a lot. As did my mom, Domenica.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 09:10 AM
  #175  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,145

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by Airfehr View Post
You are safe in your enclosure, car, cage. You also miss experiencing the world around you. I know the term from the motorcycle world.
Truth. MSF Instructor and Ducatista here.
bruce19 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.