Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Old 05-19-22, 12:01 PM
  #51  
GamblerGORD53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
Posts: 1,965

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 120 Posts
Even legit sites are gouging on shipping now with a charge on every item. They say they might adjust it when the order is assembled, might not either.
SJS was wanting 92E shipping with a hub, small bits and 2 tires. WTF, used to be 30E I think by Royal Mail.
I then instead got the tires from Chain Reaction in Ireland.
GamblerGORD53 is online now  
Old 05-19-22, 12:09 PM
  #52  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 887 Times in 512 Posts
For those wondering about the import duty on internet purchased goods for US buyers, here's the US customs website:
​​​​​https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo...rnet-purchases

Packages whose declared value is under $800 ($100 if being sent as a gift to someone other than the purchaser) will generally be cleared without any additional paperwork prepared by CBP. However, CBP always reserves the right to require a formal entry for any importation and generally exercises this option if there is something unusual about the importation, or if important documents such as an invoice or bill of sale do not accompany the item.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 01:13 PM
  #53  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,158

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
Ok, so, I am no longer guilty of misinformation.

Fedex fee for such a transaction is nominal, probably less than 5 bucks. So yes, you are assuming a lot. When you accuse someone of misinformation, try knowing something about the topic.
I would be happy as a clam if FedEx only charged $5 for brokerage services, but the reality is that they charge quite a bit more than that. Iíve been importing shipments on a weekly basis for three decades, so Iíve been through this hundreds and hundreds of times with many carriers and customs brokers. No one does customs clearance for $5.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 01:13 PM
  #54  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 1,463

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 424 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Who would ever pay a shipping bill after you have received the shipment?
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
An honest person?
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
No... a stupid person.
remind me never to ship you anything in good faith.
spelger is online now  
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-19-22, 01:56 PM
  #55  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,324

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I would be happy as a clam if FedEx only charged $5 for brokerage services, but the reality is that they charge quite a bit more than that. Iíve been importing shipments on a weekly basis for three decades, so Iíve been through this hundreds and hundreds of times with many carriers and customs brokers. No one does customs clearance for $5.
You should try freight. Everybody who touches the shipment adds a charge and the last entity that releases your goods demands a 'facility' or something similar charge (better called ransom), that was never declared before and that they likely determine by looking at you: you either pay it now in cash or we will be adding a storage charge for every day from now on!
2_i is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 02:21 PM
  #56  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,158

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
You should try freight. Everybody who touches the shipment adds a charge and the last entity that releases your goods demands a 'facility' or something similar charge (better called ransom), that was never declared before and that they likely determine by looking at you: you either pay it now in cash or we will be adding a storage charge for every day from now on!
Dont get me started! I received a shipment yesterday from Brazil via United Freight. They hit us for two weeks of storage fees, because it took them more than a week to send the shipping documents to our customs broker.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 02:31 PM
  #57  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 887 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
remind me never to ship you anything in good faith.
In fairness, it does seem strange that a company like Fed Ex would provide a service like this to random customers (i.e. not someone who has an account set up with them) and allow them to take delivery of goods, then expect to get paid months later via invoice. I'm surprised Fed Ex doesn't either require payment to release the shipment, or require a credit card on file before allowing the shipment to occur. I've got to think they get burned on this often and the cost of chasing people down over relatively small invoices seems unlikely to be worth the effort.

I can't really think of many other business transactions where this type of good-faith arrangement exists anymore. Maybe healthcare, but even there they often require a credit card on file before they'll do routine/elective procedures.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 02:36 PM
  #58  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,134
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15506 Post(s)
Liked 9,494 Times in 4,653 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
remind me never to ship you anything in good faith.
Earlier this year REI accidentally shipped me two of the same (expensive) tent but only charged me for one. I informed it of the mistake and returned the second one after receiving a return shipping label.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 02:50 PM
  #59  
gecho
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,427

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Who would ever pay a shipping bill after you have received the shipment?
Collection agency / failure to pay strike on your credit rating.


This thread turned into much more of a fecal show than I would have ever expected and for a totally unexpected reason. Has "everything is fake" culture spread so far in America that it encompasses all aspects of life there now? God help you all.
gecho is offline  
Likes For gecho:
Old 05-19-22, 03:22 PM
  #60  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,134
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15506 Post(s)
Liked 9,494 Times in 4,653 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho View Post
Collection agency / failure to pay strike on your credit rating.


This thread turned into much more of a fecal show than I would have ever expected and for a totally unexpected reason. Has "everything is fake" culture spread so far in America that it encompasses all aspects of life there now? God help you all.
A lot is fake. Not 30 minutes ago I got a text telling me that ďthe address information on your package is incorrect and cannot be delivered.Ē Itís accompanied by a sketchy looking link that includes ďuspregardsĒ.

Obviously trying to make you think UPS or the US postal service. Oh well. Guess my address information cannot be delivered. (Note the poor grammar. What ARE they teaching in scammer school these days?)
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 10:53 PM
  #61  
Rick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 248 Times in 161 Posts
I have never had a problem with extra duty fees. My shipments from Germany go from DHL to USPS. My shipments from England go from Royal Mail to USPS. My largest order from across the pond has been under 800. The OP should be careful for proof of the dept.
Rick is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 05:20 AM
  #62  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,656

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6605 Post(s)
Liked 6,334 Times in 3,581 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho View Post
Collection agency / failure to pay strike on your credit rating.


This thread turned into much more of a fecal show than I would have ever expected and for a totally unexpected reason. Has "everything is fake" culture spread so far in America that it encompasses all aspects of life there now? God help you all.

Must be nice to live in a country where you aren't subject to such fraud attempts daily. We're routinely bombarded with scam communications supposedly from large corporations pretty constantly. You'd be heading for trouble quick if you unquestioningly paid everything you got that had a corporate logo on it. You'd lose that money and find yourself on a list attracting special attention from scammers.

OP should definitely verify that it's a legit charge from FedEx, that's not society corroding "culture", it's just the reasonable thing to do.

BTW, a lot of scams used to involve getting someone in the US to wire money to Canada. Should we thank your country for our " culture "?

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-20-22 at 05:24 AM.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-22, 05:49 AM
  #63  
Bald Paul
Senior Member
 
Bald Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 348 Posts
FedEx will only deliver a package with duty taxes due on it if you have a valid FedEx account with them. Otherwise, you either pay duty or you don't get your package.

Duties-and-taxes | FedEx
Bald Paul is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 07:56 AM
  #64  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 887 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho View Post
Collection agency / failure to pay strike on your credit rating.


This thread turned into much more of a fecal show than I would have ever expected and for a totally unexpected reason. Has "everything is fake" culture spread so far in America that it encompasses all aspects of life there now? God help you all.
People are suggesting the OP verify the situation before paying. This isn't some kind of crazy culture war position to take.
msu2001la is offline  
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-20-22, 08:04 AM
  #65  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,656

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6605 Post(s)
Liked 6,334 Times in 3,581 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
People are suggesting the OP verify the situation before paying. This isn't some kind of crazy culture war position to take.

Seriously. I didn't question the bill for my share of the Jewish Space Laser. I just paid it because it was signed by George Soros.

(I believe being Jewish licenses me to make that joke.)
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-22, 08:32 AM
  #66  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,775

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
remind me never to ship you anything in good faith.
Richard, I'm not asking you to do a damn thing for me.
trailangel is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 09:12 AM
  #67  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,158

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
I can't really think of many other business transactions where this type of good-faith arrangement exists anymore. Maybe healthcare, but even there they often require a credit card on file before they'll do routine/elective procedures.
Society lives on this arrangement, i.e. unsecured credit cards.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 09:33 AM
  #68  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,656

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6605 Post(s)
Liked 6,334 Times in 3,581 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Society lives on this arrangement, i.e. unsecured credit cards.

More to the point, you've seen FedEx do this, right?

I think this arrangement looks odd to people like me who don't ship much stuff. I learned from you that it actually occurs with some frequency.

People run up bills with lots of service providers and, as you point out, credit card companies.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 09:42 AM
  #69  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 887 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Society lives on this arrangement, i.e. unsecured credit cards.
Unsecured credit cards are only issued after a bank approves an application that includes verified personal contact info and a credit check. Fed Ex is seemingly sending bills to people months after they bought stuff online, with nothing more than a name and delivery address. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have a Fed Ex account.

Surely you can see the difference here, no?
msu2001la is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 09:43 AM
  #70  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,158

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
More to the point, you've seen FedEx do this, right?
Yes, we often received invoices like this from FedEx before we had an account with them.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-20-22, 09:43 AM
  #71  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,158

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Unsecured credit cards are only issued after a bank approves an application that includes verified personal contact info and a credit check. Fed Ex is seemingly sending bills to people months after they bought stuff online, with nothing more than a name and delivery address. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have a Fed Ex account.

Surely you can see the difference here, no?
See above.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 09:47 AM
  #72  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 887 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
See above.
That doesn't answer my question.

A large company paying for services and then invoicing individuals after the fact with little or no verified information is not a typical business practice. Our society definitely does not "live on this arrangement".
msu2001la is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 09:55 AM
  #73  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,158

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
That doesn't answer my question.

A large company paying for services and then invoicing individuals after the fact with little or no verified information is not a typical business practice. Our society definitely does not "live on this arrangement".
Unsecured credit cards and FedEx are operating on the same principle; they offer a service to the end user with the assumption they will receive their money after the fact.

Have you ever seen how many credit cards are issued during the first week of a college semester? They give them out like candy, with nothing more than contact info, to kids with absolutely no credit history. It's not much different than what FedEx is doing; they both operate with the assumption that they will lose a small percentage to defaults, but that most people will pay.

The bottom line is this: FedEx sends out these invoices all the time, and everything the OP has described is consistent with their practices.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 05-20-22 at 09:59 AM.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 10:00 AM
  #74  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,600
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,114 Posts
I don't know, it's probably cheaper/easier for FedEx to pay everything in bulk (probably monthly or quarterly and they may get a discount for doing it that way) and then invoice the customer after the bill. Those customers that don't pay get bundled into packs and auctioned off to debt collectors. Getting it all automated and done in bulk saves them time (and money paying employees), and allows them to meet their shipping target goals by not having to spend time tracking each customer down. The little they lose by non-paying customers/auctioning off the debt to collectors at a discount, they make up for in decreased employee costs. Just like how many stores accept a certain amount of shrinkage and have it built into their pricing model (while being annoyed at the theft) rather than spend the money for lots of extra security and lose customers due to a draconian image.
himespau is offline  
Likes For himespau:
Old 05-20-22, 10:07 AM
  #75  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 887 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Unsecured credit cards and FedEx are operating on the same principle; they offer a service to the end user with the assumption they will receive their money after the fact.

Have you ever seen how many credit cards are issued during the first week of a college semester? They give them out like candy, with nothing more than contact info, to kids with absolutely no credit history. It's not much different than what FedEx is doing; they both operate with the assumption that they will lose a small percentage to defaults, but that most people will pay.

The bottom line is this: FedEx sends out these invoices all the time, and everything the OP has described is consistent with their practices.
Unless Fed Ex is collecting a credit application with social security number and verifying identities, it's not the same thing at all.

You continue to miss the point that Fed Ex's practice of doing this is not typical, and someone approaching the situation that the OP described with skepticism is warranted.
msu2001la is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.