Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SPD to SPD-SL for a rec rider

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

SPD to SPD-SL for a rec rider

Old 06-18-22, 02:29 PM
  #1  
Jheitt
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Jheitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Alberta
Posts: 20

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
SPD to SPD-SL for a rec rider

I've ridden SPD for years off road, currently have them on my fixed. Considering going to SL only to get better ventilation in the shoe. My current shoes are meant for off-road, so while they are great for store runs and such they don't breath at all. If i'm looking at new shoes anyway is there any tangible benefit for a recreational rider in going to a SL style pedal?
Jheitt is offline  
Old 06-18-22, 02:59 PM
  #2  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,731

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked 2,848 Times in 1,457 Posts
Not really.They will impact your ability to walk to a certain degree.
cxwrench is offline  
Old 06-18-22, 03:33 PM
  #3  
Jheitt
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Jheitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Alberta
Posts: 20

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
yeah that seems to go for both with a more road focused shoe, on the plus side you can get rubber covers for the SL cleats, I haven't seen them for regular SPDs yet,
Jheitt is offline  
Old 06-18-22, 03:40 PM
  #4  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 5,914

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked 1,305 Times in 751 Posts
A lot of shoe manufacturers that make SPD-L shoes make the same exact shoe in SPD. Shimano comes to mind. Maybe look at the SPD shoes oriented more towards racing. I have Shimano XC-7 that are pretty light.
Steve B. is offline  
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-18-22, 03:53 PM
  #5  
Jheitt
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Jheitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Alberta
Posts: 20

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thats the plan, just always curious about the big cleats!
Jheitt is offline  
Old 06-18-22, 04:02 PM
  #6  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,648

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 411 Posts
There are road shoes that have both bolt patterns on them, so you could even get one of those road shoes and ride them on your SPDs if you want.They are about as fun to walk in as regular road shoes, but the metal cleat (and the fact that you could use them on your fixie as is) is a bonus.

__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 06-18-22, 04:18 PM
  #7  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 25,719

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5157 Post(s)
Liked 2,702 Times in 1,598 Posts
Why not just get a shoe with better ventilation? There are many shoes out there that come in both road and mountain models that use the same uppers with either a road sole or a mountain sole. Mountain bike shoes are necessarily less ventilated than road shoes and are a whole lot easier to walk in.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-18-22, 04:49 PM
  #8  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 2,614

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 596 Posts
As cycco says, lots of spd shoes with good ventilation. I have both spd and spd-sl. While I like both styles, I have come to prefer the spd due to the fact that I get off the bike more than I used to, and steps are usually involved. I have the covers for the sl, though they work well, I either forget to take them, forget to put them on if I have them with me, and the main reason, convenience. I have a pair of the dual use shoes, but the using of spd cleats on shoes without the recessed area, does not work well for me. Another issue, if you try to use both types on the same bike, you have to adjust the saddle height every time the switch is made.

I like the road style spd shoes, like Giro Republic. Also, a couple of the Shimano spd shoes are more for road riding.
delbiker1 is offline  
Old 06-18-22, 05:07 PM
  #9  
Jheitt
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Jheitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Alberta
Posts: 20

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1 View Post
As cycco says, lots of spd shoes with good ventilation. I have both spd and spd-sl. While I like both styles, I have come to prefer the spd due to the fact that I get off the bike more than I used to, and steps are usually involved. I have the covers for the sl, though they work well, I either forget to take them, forget to put them on if I have them with me, and the main reason, convenience. I have a pair of the dual use shoes, but the using of spd cleats on shoes without the recessed area, does not work well for me. Another issue, if you try to use both types on the same bike, you have to adjust the saddle height every time the switch is made.

I like the road style spd shoes, like Giro Republic. Also, a couple of the Shimano spd shoes are more for road riding.
perfect thank you! I dont have any issues running the regular SPD just seems to be less selection in the way of well vented 2 bolt shoes. I do see shimano has a bunch so i'll think i'll stick to the regular SPD and just find a more appropriate shoe.
Jheitt is offline  
Likes For Jheitt:
Old 06-18-22, 07:49 PM
  #10  
biker128pedal
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,487

Bikes: 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C being made an all arounder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 192 Posts
Iíve got a Bontrager shoes running SPDs. Shimano a makes adapter spacers for walking.
biker128pedal is offline  
Old 06-19-22, 07:53 AM
  #11  
easyupbug 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,293

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 287 Posts
In the heat this time of year in Southern AZ quality SPD sandals, Keens and Shimano SD5, work well for all but the most vigorous rides.
easyupbug is offline  
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-19-22, 09:48 AM
  #12  
Ubie
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 20,000 leagues under the sea
Posts: 417

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug View Post
In the heat this time of year in Southern AZ quality SPD sandals, Keens and Shimano SD5, work well for all but the most vigorous rides.
More power to you, but I have a (completely irrational) fear of losing toes with sandals on a bike.
Ubie is offline  
Likes For Ubie:
Old 06-19-22, 10:02 AM
  #13  
easyupbug 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,293

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 287 Posts
That's why we use the Keen sandals, they have toe covers and are much like a mess shoe w/o the mesh.
https://www.rei.com/product/765247/k...e-sandals-mens
easyupbug is offline  
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-19-22, 04:26 PM
  #14  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie View Post
More power to you, but I have a (completely irrational) fear of losing toes with sandals on a bike.
Years ago, I was hitching in Yosemite. Guy picks me up and I noticed a huge wad of bandage on his foot. He was doing the hike/climb of Half Dome in sandals and slipped and ripped his entire big toenail off his toe. I still cringe thinking about it. Yeah, not for me, either.
kahn is offline  
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-20-22, 11:30 PM
  #15  
easyupbug 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,293

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
Years ago, I was hitching in Yosemite. Guy picks me up and I noticed a huge wad of bandage on his foot. He was doing the hike/climb of Half Dome in sandals and slipped and ripped his entire big toenail off his toe. I still cringe thinking about it. Yeah, not for me, either.
As I said not for vigorous rides, you need to use judgement, and without a doubt the Half Dome is vigorous, from the park service "Today, thousands of people reach the summit. For most, it is an exciting, arduous hike; for a few, it becomes more of an adventure than they wanted. Indeed, park rangers assist hundreds of people on the Half Dome trail every summer. Most of these emergencies could have been prevented... read on to learn how."
easyupbug is offline  
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-21-22, 08:02 PM
  #16  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug View Post
As I said not for vigorous rides, you need to use judgement, and without a doubt the Half Dome is vigorous, from the park service "Today, thousands of people reach the summit. For most, it is an exciting, arduous hike; for a few, it becomes more of an adventure than they wanted. Indeed, park rangers assist hundreds of people on the Half Dome trail every summer. Most of these emergencies could have been prevented... read on to learn how."
I have been atop four times. First time as an arduous day hike from the Valley, second time overnight on top (still legal back then) during the Perseus Meteor Shower and twice on extended backpacks - all many years ago.
kahn is offline  
Old 06-21-22, 10:45 PM
  #17  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,830
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
A lot of shoe manufacturers that make SPD-L shoes make the same exact shoe in SPD. Shimano comes to mind. Maybe look at the SPD shoes oriented more towards racing. I have Shimano XC-7 that are pretty light.
Sidi too.
Camilo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.