Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No boxers for those who ride with casualwear shorts?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No boxers for those who ride with casualwear shorts?

Old 07-24-22, 11:56 AM
  #1  
CheGiantForLife
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts
No boxers for those who ride with casualwear shorts?

Zero chance I ever wear those Speedo shorts while biking.
I currently wear boxers and generic baggy Poly shorts.
I am thinking of dropping the boxers for less bunching.
I want to star a thread before attempting something potentially reckless and dangerous.

If you were forced to wear casual poly shorts, would you skip the boxers ?

Have at it.
CheGiantForLife is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 12:05 PM
  #2  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 20,999

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23799 Post(s)
Liked 7,500 Times in 5,296 Posts
.
...they're your saddle sores. I don't feel them at all.
__________________
3alarmer is online now  
Old 07-24-22, 12:16 PM
  #3  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,579

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 838 Posts
wolfchild is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 12:19 PM
  #4  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,140
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1906 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife View Post
If you were forced to wear casual poly shorts, would you skip the boxers ?
For long rides? Yes, but I also wouldn't skip the chamois.
HTupolev is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 12:48 PM
  #5  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,535

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked 7,132 Times in 4,005 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife View Post

If you were forced to wear casual poly shorts, would you skip the boxers ?
Not clear who's forcing me to wear casual poly shorts in this scenario, but I suspect this is going to endanger seamen, so I'm going to box the skippers.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-24-22, 12:50 PM
  #6  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,535

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked 7,132 Times in 4,005 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
For long rides? Yes, but I also wouldn't skip the chamois.

I'm pretty sure a "long ride" for this guy is 6 minutes.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-24-22, 12:51 PM
  #7  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,099
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,978 Posts
Ride a 'bent and your Depends will keep stuff corralled within the casual polys.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 01:09 PM
  #8  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,535

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked 7,132 Times in 4,005 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Ride a 'bent and your Depends will keep stuff corralled within the casual polys.

Maybe he should just start wearing formal poly shorts.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 01:30 PM
  #9  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 20,999

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23799 Post(s)
Liked 7,500 Times in 5,296 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Maybe he should just start wearing formal poly shorts.
...


...but you should still wear a helment. That way you avoid accusations of recklessness.
__________________
3alarmer is online now  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-24-22, 01:51 PM
  #10  
greatbasin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife View Post
Zero chance I ever wear those Speedo shorts while biking.
I currently wear boxers and generic baggy Poly shorts.
I am thinking of dropping the boxers for less bunching.
I want to star a thread before attempting something potentially reckless and dangerous.

If you were forced to wear casual poly shorts, would you skip the boxers ?

Have at it.

Maybe this is just a troll, but if you're serious, try boxer briefs. In a poly/spandex blend, they're not loose and they shouldn't bunch. If you want them with a chamois, the Souke brand offers that. They call it cycling underwear. You can wear whatever shorts or trousers you want over them. I don't know what you mean by "speedo shorts." Speedo makes casual poly shorts like you say you do wear. What is it that you won't wear? Speedo jammers? Or just the high-cut briefs that some swimmers wear?

You're not being clear enough about your apprehensions. Whatever they are, shorts designed for cycling are going to work best and you can wear what you want over those to meet any fashion desire.

Last edited by greatbasin; 07-24-22 at 01:55 PM.
greatbasin is offline  
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 07-24-22, 02:03 PM
  #11  
greatbasin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts
I'm sure for people that are serious about cycling for fitness, competition, and even recreation, these kinds of questions are amusing since they've found cycling-specific clothing to be the only sensible thing to wear on their long, intense rides.

People can bicycle instead of taking a car, and it's often a good idea. If they had to change into a lycra super-hero suit to do it, that becomes a significant deterrent. People who commute by bicycle regularly can manage this by being prepared for their routine, but a person cycling for irregular everyday transportation doesn't necessarily want to commit to wearing a Lycra suit or trying to figure out how to change.

It is possible to wear casual non-cycling clothing and still ride a bike comfortably for more than six minutes.
greatbasin is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 02:07 PM
  #12  
Chuck M 
Butted Hi-Tensile
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin View Post
Maybe this is just a troll,
Bless you for giving the benefit of the doubt. But the last line of the OP "Have at it" was deliberate IMHO.
__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz Stücke

Chuck M is offline  
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-24-22, 02:37 PM
  #13  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,240
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 200 Posts
Boxer briefs. All of you trashing the idea of somebody doing long intense rides in non cycling specific clothing are embarrassing. Nobody would bat an eye in the runners world about someone wearing for instance basketball shorts instead of running shorts. This idea that you NEED cycling shorts or you will necessarily get saddle sores that will hinder your enjoyment of riding is ludicrous. I find cycling specific shorts to be annoying to wear when not riding so if I go for a 30 mile ride before work I don't want to be stuck in the cycling shorts.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 02:45 PM
  #14  
Chuck M 
Butted Hi-Tensile
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 518 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OP is not doing any long intense rides Lawrence. And if you aren't embarrassed riding shirtless with plumbing supplies fastened to your handlebars, I don't think you will find any of the discussion in this thread embarrassing.
__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz Stücke

Chuck M is offline  
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-24-22, 02:47 PM
  #15  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 4,811

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,227 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I find cycling specific shorts to be annoying to wear when not riding so if I go for a 30 mile ride before work I don't want to be stuck in the cycling shorts.
If you do a 30-mile ride before work, I hope you change out of whatever you wore while riding. And shower.

Otherwise, eew.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-24-22, 03:09 PM
  #16  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,099
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,978 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin View Post
Maybe this is just a troll....
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 03:10 PM
  #17  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6117 Post(s)
Liked 3,785 Times in 2,072 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Boxer briefs. All of you trashing the idea of somebody doing long intense rides in non cycling specific clothing are embarrassing. Nobody would bat an eye in the runners world about someone wearing for instance basketball shorts instead of running shorts. This idea that you NEED cycling shorts or you will necessarily get saddle sores that will hinder your enjoyment of riding is ludicrous. I find cycling specific shorts to be annoying to wear when not riding so if I go for a 30 mile ride before work I don't want to be stuck in the cycling shorts.
I agree, commando with jorts is the ticket.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 03:13 PM
  #18  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 35,060
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16020 Post(s)
Liked 10,428 Times in 5,067 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin View Post
People who commute by bicycle regularly can manage this by being prepared for their routine, but a person cycling for irregular everyday transportation doesn't necessarily want to commit to wearing a Lycra suit or trying to figure out how to change.
I would not want to commute if I’m feeling irregular.

That aside, if you have to “figure out” how to carry work clothes with you or leave some at work you have more important issues to address.

BTW…Nice choice of words. Something like “sporadic” would not have made you post nearly as effective.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-24-22 at 03:20 PM.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 03:16 PM
  #19  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,539

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2892 Post(s)
Liked 902 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Ride a 'bent and your Depends will keep stuff corralled within the casual polys.
Glad you are coming around. BTW I think this is thread 472 on my butt hurts on a DF bike.
rydabent is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 03:21 PM
  #20  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 35,060
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16020 Post(s)
Liked 10,428 Times in 5,067 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Glad you are coming around. BTW I think this is thread 472 on my butt hurts on a DF bike.
You do display a lot of butt hurt. That’s for sure.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-24-22, 03:22 PM
  #21  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 20,999

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23799 Post(s)
Liked 7,500 Times in 5,296 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
If you do a 30-mile ride before work, I hope you change out of whatever you wore while riding. And shower.

Otherwise, eew.
....the longest commute i ever did on a regular basis was about ten-twelve miles, but it was to various fire stations around town, so there were lockers and a shower room. I got sweatier at work than I did getting there. If I hadn't had a locker, I would have needed a trailer to carry all my stuff. nttawwt
__________________
3alarmer is online now  
Old 07-24-22, 03:23 PM
  #22  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,535

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked 7,132 Times in 4,005 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin View Post
I'm sure for people that are serious about cycling for fitness, competition, and even recreation, these kinds of questions are amusing since they've found cycling-specific clothing to be the only sensible thing to wear on their long, intense rides.

People can bicycle instead of taking a car, and it's often a good idea. If they had to change into a lycra super-hero suit to do it, that becomes a significant deterrent. People who commute by bicycle regularly can manage this by being prepared for their routine, but a person cycling for irregular everyday transportation doesn't necessarily want to commit to wearing a Lycra suit or trying to figure out how to change.

It is possible to wear casual non-cycling clothing and still ride a bike comfortably for more than six minutes.
I actually have ridden 179 miles in the past 3 days in my usual cargo shorts and boxers, The 6 minute crack was aimed specifically at OP who has posted question after question and has made clear that most of his rides are actually 5 minutes in duration.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-24-22, 03:25 PM
  #23  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,099
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,978 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
If you do a 30-mile ride before work, I hope you change out of whatever you wore while riding. And shower.

Otherwise, eew.
I think there are rules.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-24-22, 03:26 PM
  #24  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 20,999

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23799 Post(s)
Liked 7,500 Times in 5,296 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
. This idea that you NEED cycling shorts or you will necessarily get saddle sores that will hinder your enjoyment of riding is ludicrous.
...hurtful.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I find cycling specific shorts to be annoying to wear when not riding so if I go for a 30 mile ride before work I don't want to be stuck in the cycling shorts.
...I find that a light dusting of talc prevents my cycling shorts from sticking to me. Even after 30 miles. But you might be sticker than I am.
__________________
3alarmer is online now  
Old 07-24-22, 03:29 PM
  #25  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,699

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Turner 5-Spot, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked 2,211 Times in 1,242 Posts
Speedos?
Kapusta is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.