Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike computer: looking for displaying stats, wireless sensor connectivity and logging

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike computer: looking for displaying stats, wireless sensor connectivity and logging

Old 08-10-22, 10:08 AM
  #1  
sayn3ver
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 144

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bike computer: looking for displaying stats, wireless sensor connectivity and logging

I started riding again last summer.

It's been a year and I'd like to add a computer.

I was considering just mounting my phone but my iPhone 12 mini has horrid battery life and by the time I get home after work I'd have to wait for it to charge if planning on using that as a computer and that would be frustrating on the days I'd be trying to beat sunset.

im looking to a device that displays the basics (speed cadence distance heart rate) on the display while riding.

id like to connect various ant+ or Bluetooth third party sensors. Ideally it could display a power meter output eventually.

id also like for it to log and be able to upload data to a cycling app like Strava or Kamoot or even just excel.

color or black and white. Typically I prefer replaceable batteries but that's rare in 2022.

I don't need gps or navigation but not opposed to having it onboard it just won't get much use.

I also don't want to spend $250-300.
I'd like to be below $200 if possible.

my last computer was a wired Cateye from 2008ish.
sayn3ver is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 10:55 AM
  #2  
blacknbluebikes 
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 1,007

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 273 Posts
check out Garmin 130+ here I wanted something small that will handle upgrades. I use it with wahoo HRM, Garmin Rally power meter pedal, uploads to Garmin Connect and thru to Strava.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 08-10-22, 01:06 PM
  #3  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,318
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
id like to connect various ant+ or Bluetooth third party sensors. Ideally it could display a power meter output eventually.

id also like for it to log and be able to upload data to a cycling app like Strava or Kamoot or even just excel.

color or black and white. Typically I prefer replaceable batteries but that's rare in 2022.

I don't need gps or navigation but not opposed to having it onboard it just won't get much use.

I also don't want to spend $250-300.
I'd like to be below $200 if possible.

my last computer was a wired Cateye from 2008ish.
With your various desires, replaceable batteries are not a good idea. Years ago I had a really nice VDO computer that did many of the things you ask for. It devoured batteries, I had to change them 3-4 times a year and reprogram the darn thing each time. If you want to log your rides on Strava you need GPS to see where you rode. I have a 10 year old Garmin Edge 500 which has served me well. It connects to various sensors via ANT+. I have to plug it into my computer to download rides which also recharges it. I also have a Garmin 820 which I bought for a trip to France because the person who organized the trip sent us all a bunch of rides he built up on Ride with GPS and I wanted to be able to just choose one and be able to go off on my own if I didn't want to do a group ride. The 820 is able to connect to sensors via Bluetooth or ANT+. It also can connect directly to WiFi to download rides. I just got back from a ride and by the time I went upstairs after the ride I could review it on Strava. It just connected to my home WiFi after I saved the ride and downloaded it directly to Garmin connect and through to Strava
alcjphil is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 01:52 PM
  #4  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 150 Posts
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v1 should be $200 or less now.
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 02:25 PM
  #5  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 5,899

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2526 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 748 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v1 should be $200 or less now.
A link is always helpful. Good recommendation, I found one on Amazon for $179. Good deal

https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-ELEMNT-...06XT3YX7T?th=1
Steve B. is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 06:25 PM
  #6  
sayn3ver
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 144

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
With your various desires, replaceable batteries are not a good idea. Years ago I had a really nice VDO computer that did many of the things you ask for. It devoured batteries, I had to change them 3-4 times a year and reprogram the darn thing each time. If you want to log your rides on Strava you need GPS to see where you rode. I have a 10 year old Garmin Edge 500 which has served me well. It connects to various sensors via ANT+. I have to plug it into my computer to download rides which also recharges it. I also have a Garmin 820 which I bought for a trip to France because the person who organized the trip sent us all a bunch of rides he built up on Ride with GPS and I wanted to be able to just choose one and be able to go off on my own if I didn't want to do a group ride. The 820 is able to connect to sensors via Bluetooth or ANT+. It also can connect directly to WiFi to download rides. I just got back from a ride and by the time I went upstairs after the ride I could review it on Strava. It just connected to my home WiFi after I saved the ride and downloaded it directly to Garmin connect and through to Strava

I didn't think about the gps for those types of app uploads.

currently I use free Strava with my phone in my rear Jersey pocket for logging. With the screen off I have no issues using my phone for data collection.

For training I want to view heart rate and speed/cadence in real time which is more of the internal push for a dedicated bike computer.

(eventually maybe power meter output if I remain engaged and active for another couple years. Coming from college rowing on concept2 ergs I do enjoy workouts targeting steady watts as it helps focus of smoothness and delivery and adds a mental target to longer steady state type workouts)

honestly I'm surprise smart sun glasses haven't caught on for cycling. It could give you a heads up type display of your data without removing your eyes from the road (I ride in a congested area so vehicle awareness take priority for me as I'm typically out solo).

im assuming I could still log the ride via my phone (and even log the heart rate and speed data in wahoo fitness right?) I bring my phone regardless for emergency calls and it's standby time is adequate.


assuming I want to commit to always having my phone on me,

this would work in theory correct?
https://www.cateyeamerica.com/padron...a400b/1604810/

Last edited by sayn3ver; 08-10-22 at 06:28 PM.
sayn3ver is offline  
Old 08-10-22, 10:31 PM
  #7  
Canker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
Lezyne and Bryton both make good cheaper GPS units. I run a lezyne super pro which runs $150 with no complaints.
Canker is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 01:54 AM
  #8  
jgwilliams
Senior Member
 
jgwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 744

Bikes: Mekk Poggion with SRAM Force, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Giant XTC 4 mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
You can get heart rate and cadence (though not power, I think) from a non GPS unit such as the Cateye. In my opinion, though, a GPS unit such as the Garmin, Wahoo, etc gives you so much more that they're worth the extra money. There's no way I'd be without mine now.
jgwilliams is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 05:39 AM
  #9  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 2,399 Times in 1,393 Posts
It’s always a good idea to having a phone with you. In case of emergency, like you get punted into a ditch, or have an unrecoverable mechanical issue or if someone needs to really reach you a phone is always a good idea. When it rain be, I place mine in a zip lock bag.
__________________
Beikforoom Cyclist “No regerts” 🚴🏾‍♂️





rsbob is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 09:35 AM
  #10  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,087
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 585 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Lezyne and Bryton both make good cheaper GPS units. I run a lezyne super pro which runs $150 with no complaints.
I don't know about Bryton, but I had a Lezyne. It worked just fine and did everything I needed it to but switched to a Garmin 530 and Garmine 130. Hands down the display clarity on the Garmin units is much better than the Lezyne. Especially in the sunlight.

I use a Garmin instinct watch to broadcast my heartrate to the garmin bike computer.
prj71 is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 01:28 PM
  #11  
csport
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 587

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
This computer can do logging, heart rate and cadence. No GPS. Replaceable battery, 2450 type.

Edit: the sensors are wireless, but they are not ANT or Bluetooth.

Last edited by csport; 08-12-22 at 07:30 PM.
csport is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 05:00 AM
  #12  
BTinNYC
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 634

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 278 Posts
I use a Chinese head unit. GPS, heart, cadence & power, auto upload to Strava, et al, for $50.

Cycplus M1

The Reds now get my ride data without having to buy it from Strava. Despite my personal biking data tipping the strategic balance of power, I like it.
BTinNYC is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 10:10 AM
  #13  
sayn3ver
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 144

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC View Post
I use a Chinese head unit. GPS, heart, cadence & power, auto upload to Strava, et al, for $50.

Cycplus M1

The Reds now get my ride data without having to buy it from Strava. Despite my personal biking data tipping the strategic balance of power, I like it.

I checked that out now while on my lunch break. Wish it did Bluetooth sensors I'd be all over that.
sayn3ver is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 10:48 AM
  #14  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 3,254

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked 2,992 Times in 1,440 Posts
Another vote for the Wahoo Bolt. It does everything you've said you want....except the replaceable battery thing. That said, the battery life on the Bolt has been very good.

I've been using my Bolt for 2 years, with 4 different bikes, and it's been excellent. It has navigation features, but I don't really use them. I really like the customizable pages that allow me to set up what data I want to see, based on what sensors I have on each bike. My #1 road bike has a power meter, the others don't. For my MTBs, I like having climbing data (grade, elevation, elevation gain). Being able to zoom in and out of the pages to show more or less data fields is also nice.
Eric F is online now  
Old 08-12-22, 12:26 PM
  #15  
REDMASTA
Senior Member
 
REDMASTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Traveling through time, will return last week.
Posts: 730

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Another vote for Wahoo, got the Bolt years ago and last year got the Roam. One of the reasons I went with Wahoo was for the big buttons and lack of touchscreen. I had been using my phone mounted on the bike with Strava running and it was miserable. Could barely see anything because of the glare and if I got any sweat on my hands the touchscreen wouldn't work.
REDMASTA is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 12:28 PM
  #16  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,536
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA View Post
Another vote for Wahoo, got the Bolt years ago and last year got the Roam. One of the reasons I went with Wahoo was for the big buttons and lack of touchscreen. I had been using my phone mounted on the bike with Strava running and it was miserable. Could barely see anything because of the glare and if I got any sweat on my hands the touchscreen wouldn't work.
The touch screens on the Garmins isn't really a problem. Some people like buttons.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 05:43 PM
  #17  
The Chemist
Senior Member
 
The Chemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 810

Bikes: 2011 Giant FCR3500 // 2008 Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Lezyne and Bryton both make good cheaper GPS units. I run a lezyne super pro which runs $150 with no complaints.
Yep. I have two Brytons (a 420 and a 750) and they've both been great. Only bought the 750 because I needed something with Garmin Varia support, otherwise I'd still be just using the 420.
The Chemist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.