Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can't ride rigid bikes anymore.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can't ride rigid bikes anymore.

Old 08-12-22, 01:39 PM
  #51  
stevel610 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Valley Forge: Birthplace of Freedom
Posts: 1,217

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
Actually, the 129 $ bike is the comfortable one...

Anyway, I doubt that an expensive road bike is even remotely compliant as a 129 $ full sus with a sprung saddle and wide tires, no?
My first thought was that an inexpensive mtn bike would probably be pretty comfortable. Particularly as the springs age. If you like it, keep it.

But if you have only taken a few rides on the rigid, it won't feel as comfortable.
__________________
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
stevel610 is offline  
Likes For stevel610:
Old 08-12-22, 01:39 PM
  #52  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,571
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
Maybe. At least I didn't spend 250$ on a suspension seatpost, but only 19.90$ on a sprung saddle.
Again, an overly-vast majority of road riders on "expensive" bikes don't use such devices. That is some indication that such devices aren't really necessary.

Keep in mind that I don't care whether or not you (or anybody) uses them.

But the technique to ride a road bike more comfortably (and faster) requires a different technique than "steamrolling" over things with a full suspension bike.

Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
Anyway, I doubt that an expensive road bike is even remotely compliant as a 129 $ full sus with a sprung saddle and wide tires, no?
It's not supposed to be. That "expensive road bikes" are fairly common suggests there's a reason why.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-12-22 at 01:45 PM.
njkayaker is offline  
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-12-22, 01:40 PM
  #53  
Rolla
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,261 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
The comfort is worth it.
You probably live in one of these:

Rolla is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 01:41 PM
  #54  
Murmur1979
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla View Post
You probably live in one of these:

Yes! It's very comfortable!
Murmur1979 is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 01:46 PM
  #55  
Murmur1979
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Again, an overly-vast majority of road riders on "expensive" bikes don't use such devices. That is some indication that such devices aren't really necessary.

Keep in mind that I don't care whether or not you (or anybody) uses them.

But the technique to ride a road bike more comfortably (and faster) requires a different technique than "steamrolling" over things with a full suspension bike.
Yes, that's the gist of it after all. (I'm not ironic this time, thank you for your contributions anyway). I think habit is a lot important, I'm getting more used to the rigid bike day after day. You are right, it's not that bad after all!
Murmur1979 is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 01:58 PM
  #56  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,571
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
Yes, that's the gist of it after all. (I'm not ironic this time, thank you for your contributions anyway). I think habit is a lot important, I'm getting more used to the rigid bike day after day. You are right, it's not that bad after all!
You would have been better off not being "ironic" in your original post. It's yet another example of a style of new/inexperienced people waltzing-in being completely-puzzled by standard/normal things lots of people do. It's suggesting that the experts are somehow wrong and "you" are here to "set them straight". People think it's "clever" and "fresh" but it's tiresome.

Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
Anyway, I doubt that an expensive road bike is even remotely compliant as a 129 $ full sus with a sprung saddle and wide tires, no?
Many of your posts (including the first one) in this thread are like this.

It's suggesting that people do think "expensive road bikes" are going to to be fairly compliant. No one thinks this. Dropping "expensive" is also a common way of saying people are "doing it wrong". People aren't spending extra for "expensive" road bikes to get more compliance (usually) The cost of a road bike is irrelevant: they mostly are equally compliant regardless of the price.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-12-22 at 02:05 PM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 02:04 PM
  #57  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,747

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
common knowledge is that a full sus MTB wouldn't be the ideal bike for that
Says who?

Niner actually makes a full sus road/gravel bike. Of course, it's over $4k.

Also FWIW, sprung and cushy seats are not actually comfortable for long rides, and they definitely won't take the place of suspension. A suspension seatpost might help you.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 08-12-22, 02:06 PM
  #58  
Murmur1979
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
You would have been better off not being "ironic" in your original post. It's yet another example of a style of new/inexperienced people waltzing-in being completely-puzzled by standard/normal things lots of people do. It's suggesting that the experts are somehow wrong and "you" are here to "set them straight". People think it's "clever" and "fresh" but it's tiresome.
I re-read it and I don't think I was ironic at all (might have been in subsequent posts, in reaction to some replies). Maybe I worded it the wrong way. I concede the title was certainly exaggerated.
My feeling is that the attitude of newbies you bemoan, is mirrored on the other side by ridiculing or snarky replies which aren't often necessary. But that is, after all, common on all online forums.
Murmur1979 is offline  
Likes For Murmur1979:
Old 08-12-22, 03:12 PM
  #59  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,571
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
I re-read it and I don't think I was ironic at all (might have been in subsequent posts, in reaction to some replies). Maybe I worded it the wrong way. I concede the title was certainly exaggerated.
There was another recent thread that had the same sort of "look at all the people with expensive bikes that I'm passing/more-comfortable on my cheap/old bike" that the mods deleted.

("Ironic" was the wrong word to use.)

Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
My feeling is that the attitude of newbies you bemoan, is mirrored on the other side by ridiculing or snarky replies which aren't often necessary. But that is, after all, common on all online forums.
What the "other side" is doing (in this thread) is not a "mirror". It's a consequence of the attitude of some newbies.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 03:16 PM
  #60  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,571
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Says who?

Niner actually makes a full sus road/gravel bike. Of course, it's over $4k.
Kind of misleading.

https://www.ninerbikes.com/

Configured as a short-travel system, we want riders to easily achieve full travel with less emphasis on big hits and bottom out resistance like you’d find on our mountain bikes.
It's not a "full sus" mountain bike (those are on another page on Niner's website).

Anyway, the "full sus" to make harder gravel easier . Not really to make road riding more comfortable. I bet it has lock-outs for the suspension (which means even Niner thinks is not always necessary or desirable).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-12-22 at 03:26 PM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 03:41 PM
  #61  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,747

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Kind of misleading.

https://www.ninerbikes.com/

It's not a "full sus" mountain bike (those are on another page on Niner's website).

Anyway, the "full sus" to make harder gravel easier . Not really to make road riding more comfortable. I bet it has lock-outs for the suspension (which means even Niner thinks is not always necessary or desirable).
I get what you're saying, but the end user can use it for whatever purpose they see fit. OP said the roads are bumpy. This would certainly smoothen it out.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 05:41 PM
  #62  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,571
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
I get what you're saying, but the end user can use it for whatever purpose they see fit. OP said the roads are bumpy. This would certainly smoothen it out.
People are free to do whatever they want. Even if it's a bad idea. Even if people on the internet say it's a bad idea.

The problem with this thread, anyway, was the OP thinking his reason made sense and what lots of other people did regularly didn't make sense (without any idea why those people did what they did). That is, he somehow knows more than experts when he's clearly missing stuff.

We have no idea how bumpy the roads are really (we just know he thinks they are bumpy). We have some idea that he thinks going over speed bumps is helped by having suspension. I risk expecting that you (personally) don't have much trouble dealing with them.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 07:53 PM
  #63  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,747

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
People are free to do whatever they want. Even if it's a bad idea. Even if people on the internet say it's a bad idea.

The problem with this thread, anyway, was the OP thinking his reason made sense and what lots of other people did regularly didn't make sense (without any idea why those people did what they did). That is, he somehow knows more than experts when he's clearly missing stuff.

We have no idea how bumpy the roads are really (we just know he thinks they are bumpy). We have some idea that he thinks going over speed bumps is helped by having suspension. I risk expecting that you (personally) don't have much trouble dealing with them.
Yes, you are right overall. But I also think back to when I started commuting and chose to throw slicks on my K2 Razorback when my road bike would have done just fine. I certainly enjoyed the suspension even on the fair condition roads and didn’t mind losing 1/2 mph in speed.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle

Last edited by urbanknight; 08-12-22 at 08:57 PM.
urbanknight is offline  
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 08-12-22, 07:55 PM
  #64  
Rolla
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,261 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

We have no idea how bumpy the roads are really (we just know he thinks they are bumpy). We have some idea that he thinks going over speed bumps is helped by having suspension.
Yep, speed bumps and unseen potholes. In other words, “ten-cent problems.”
Rolla is offline  
Old 08-12-22, 10:50 PM
  #65  
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen
 
Ironfish653's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: MC-778, 6250 fsw
Posts: 1,969

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
Anyway, I doubt that an expensive road bike is even remotely compliant as a 129 $ full sus with a sprung saddle and wide tires, no?
Oh, it is. Faster, too

Ironfish653 is offline  
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-12-22, 10:54 PM
  #66  
70sSanO
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,445

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 1,200 Posts
In the end it really doesn’t matter if the OP wants to ride an inexpensive full suspension mtb. It probably takes him wherever he rides and he doesn’t need anything more.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-13-22, 02:34 AM
  #67  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 970

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
There was another recent thread that had the same sort of "look at all the people with expensive bikes that I'm passing/more-comfortable on my cheap/old bike" that the mods deleted.

("Ironic" was the wrong word to use.)

.
Aww, I missed some fun.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 08-13-22, 12:21 PM
  #68  
M Rose
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Northeastern Oregon
Posts: 268

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Murmur1979 View Post
Maybe. At least I didn't spend 250$ on a suspension seatpost, but only 19.90$ on a sprung saddle.
those of us that ride with suspension seat posts and stems do so for a very specific reason… And my suspension seat post wasn’t even close to $250.

So why do I use a suspension seat post? My favorite gravel road is a 3% decline grade for about 15 miles. 10 of those miles has very bad washboards (cars can’t even go the speed limit on this section without vibrating onto the loose shoulder). Speaking of loose shoulder, the gravel is about 2’ deep on the shoulders, so almost impossible to ride through, or at least without wasting a lot of energy.

My buddy has a very nice spring saddle he let me barrow before I went to the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Post; And while it helped a little bit to softener the ride (even after dropping to 15 psi in both tires) the spring travel wasn’t enough to dampen the ride enough to stay in control of the bike while riding at speeds over 8mph. Putting the 100mm Suspension seat post on has eliminated the effects 100%.

Now back in the 90’s I rode this road every day on a cheap department store rigid mountain bike. The difference between then and now… Back then I didn’t have back issues, knee issues, or shoulder issues. I was in a lot better shape. I rode my bike 4 miles a day to commute to school and back home, with who knows how many miles of riding around town racing the other kids as well as stunting the MTB showing up the BMX Freestyle guys. I could ride all day long off the saddle… I’m not back to that level of fitness YET.
M Rose is offline  
Likes For M Rose:
Old 08-15-22, 09:57 AM
  #69  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,571
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
In the end it really doesn’t matter if the OP wants to ride an inexpensive full suspension mtb. It probably takes him wherever he rides and he doesn’t need anything more.
The OP thinks what lots of other people ride is some kind of "wrong" without having any idea why they ride what they ride.

The OP is free to ride what he wants, obviously.

Internet discussions are never about that (the OP is free to ride what they want regardless of what the internet thinks).

Regardless, that he's free to do whatever he wants doesn't magically make it a good idea and, maybe, he'd be better off doing something else.
njkayaker is offline  
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-15-22, 09:28 PM
  #70  
SurferRosa
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,678

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 4,017 Times in 2,134 Posts
Can't ride rigid bikes anymore.
Easy fix: just bring a mattress with you.




And watch out for traffic.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 11:57 PM
  #71  
SurferRosa
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,678

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 4,017 Times in 2,134 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
an inexpensive full suspension mtb probably takes him wherever he rides.
That would be pretty weird if it didn't.
SurferRosa is offline  
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-22-22, 03:32 PM
  #72  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,216
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2681 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Says who?
A suspension seatpost might help you.
Also a bad idea. Geometry of the bike keeps constantly changing with those things.
prj71 is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 04:11 PM
  #73  
Rolla
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,261 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Also a bad idea. Geometry of the bike keeps constantly changing with those things.
The bike's geometry doesn't change; the rider's position relative to the geometry changes. Moving your seatpost up or down or moving your saddle forward or back doesn't affect the bike's geometry at all -- imagine what geo charts would look like if they did.

But regardless, on-board changes to geometry are not necessarily a bad thing; any front- or full-suspension bike actually does have a constantly-changing geometry, and people seem to ride those without trouble.

Besides, most suspension posts have a maximum of 40mm of travel; in most conditions, only a fraction of that is actually used, and the motion is barely perceptible beyond the reduction of jarring bumps.

Try one sometime. I recommend the PNW Coast, as it doubles as a dropper. (Dropper posts don't change a bike's geometry either, btw.)

Last edited by Rolla; 08-22-22 at 04:15 PM.
Rolla is offline  
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-22-22, 05:05 PM
  #74  
J_Chickles
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
After reading through all 3 pages of this and pondering whether the thread starter is sincere or not, i can only add one constructive suggestion

It would float over smaller road irregularities effortlessly, make credit card touring a breeze and with 5" of suspension, its almost as much as a modern mountain bike, but far more than a springer saddle !

and this particular one has hand grips that appear to be useful for additional purposes

J_Chickles is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 05:06 PM
  #75  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,747

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Also a bad idea. Geometry of the bike keeps constantly changing with those things.
Yeah, I was concerned about that originally, but people far more knowledgeable than me promised it’s not a problem.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.