Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Old 09-19-22, 08:32 AM
  #251  
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 15,419

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7612 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
2 miles is 12 minutes @ 10m/h, you should be able to do that on a regular bike without getting sweaty assuming any reasonable level of fitness and are taking it easy.
And if it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity you will sweat if standing still in front of a fan. Great completely inaccurate generalization.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-19-22, 09:53 AM
  #252  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,497

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
And if it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity you will sweat if standing still in front of a fan. Great completely inaccurate generalization.
Another generalization if that happens everyday.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 09-19-22, 10:11 AM
  #253  
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 15,419

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7612 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Another generalization if that happens everyday.
Maybe you need to look up "generalization." I specified a Specific situation .... the Opposite of a generalization. And for much of the country during two-three months there are days---sometimes many--which are so hot that just standing outside will make a person sweat .... and there are many states where those conditions (or similar conditions which will cause spontaneous sweating in a resting state) apply many months of the year.

So yeah .... not a generalization when the parameters are closely specified.

Also .... why would it be a generalization if it happened every day? A "generalization" describes a situation which occurs more often than not, at least. If it happens every day then there is no need to generalize.

"Fire is hot" is not a generalization ...
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-19-22, 12:08 PM
  #254  
Full Member
 
boozergut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 483

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 71 Posts
Snip snap snout this tales told out.....
boozergut is offline  
Old 09-19-22, 02:14 PM
  #255  
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,858

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3263 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 621 Posts
The answer is they are willing to pedal some. Again today on the local MUP I passed at least 2 couples that were out riding. I would bet a lot of money the wife never rode with her husband before electric assist bikes. Now they can.

Closer to home for me, is the fact before electric bikes a guy I worked with for 40 years pretty much laughed at by cycling. Two years ago he bought 2 electric bikes, and now he and his wife ride together a great deal. He tells me he already has 2000 mile on his electric assist bike. Tell me that this is not a good deal.

Good for business too. A new bike store has sprouted up in town. They sell only electric bikes.
rydabent is offline  
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-19-22, 02:32 PM
  #256  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 747

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 310 Posts
It’s not a good deal. My local MUP is overrun with fat tired ebikes using their throttles to the max. Dangerous and stupid. Lots of stories about their motivation but it all comes down to lazy bastards.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-19-22, 03:37 PM
  #257  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,497

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Maybe you need to look up "generalization." I specified a Specific situation .... the Opposite of a generalization. And for much of the country during two-three months there are days---sometimes many--which are so hot that just standing outside will make a person sweat .... and there are many states where those conditions (or similar conditions which will cause spontaneous sweating in a resting state) apply many months of the year.

So yeah .... not a generalization when the parameters are closely specified.

Also .... why would it be a generalization if it happened every day? A "generalization" describes a situation which occurs more often than not, at least. If it happens every day then there is no need to generalize.

"Fire is hot" is not a generalization ...
There you go again.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 09-19-22, 04:04 PM
  #258  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Scotland
Posts: 497

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
And if it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity you will sweat if standing still in front of a fan. Great completely inaccurate generalization.
In which case an e-bike wouldn't help him either. Or likely his truck.

For most other conditions, it's fine.
Herzlos is offline  
Old 09-19-22, 06:17 PM
  #259  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,082

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,745 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
It’s not a good deal. My local MUP is overrun with fat tired ebikes using their throttles to the max. Dangerous and stupid. Lots of stories about their motivation but it all comes down to lazy bastards.
An E-bike requires pedaling in order to move forward a moped can be pedaled but has a throttle. Let's be clear here and not confuse bicycles with mopeds no matter how crappy or close to a bike that moped might be.

Mopeds and other throttled vehicles do not need to be on multi use paths. It should be for pedestrians and human powered vehicles (electric assist is fine)
veganbikes is offline  
Old 09-19-22, 09:17 PM
  #260  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 747

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 310 Posts
You say “electric assist is fine”. But that’s not the reality. Most ebikes I see are just electric mopeds. And they are not being ridden by old couples trying to get out more. They are simply motorcycles. You keep your fantasy alive if you like but the reality is that people like me will eventually drive these people off the trails.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-20-22, 07:24 AM
  #261  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Scotland
Posts: 497

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
You say “electric assist is fine”. But that’s not the reality. Most ebikes I see are just electric mopeds. And they are not being ridden by old couples trying to get out more. They are simply motorcycles. You keep your fantasy alive if you like but the reality is that people like me will eventually drive these people off the trails.
I think that's what causes most of the arguments here.

In most of the world, electric bicycles can only provide assistance (generally up to about 15mph), electric mopeds require a moped license to use, and electric bicycles which don't require pedal action and/or have an unrestricted speed are illegal to use on the roads or any public spaces. Basically what the US called "class 1", we don't have a class 2/3 equivalent.

It seems that in the US, even class 3 is limited to 28mph and in some states a bike can't have a throttle and go over 20mph.

So presumably most of these e-mopeds are gray market imports which aren't actually legal to use in the US, unless people are overestimating the speed that bikes are passing them. Admittedly when you're on a MUP then 20mph is pretty fast anyway.
Herzlos is offline  
Old 09-20-22, 10:22 AM
  #262  
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,858

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3263 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
It’s not a good deal. My local MUP is overrun with fat tired ebikes using their throttles to the max. Dangerous and stupid. Lots of stories about their motivation but it all comes down to lazy bastards.
Golly did some old guy pass you up on a long hill, and make you mad????
rydabent is offline  
Old 09-20-22, 10:23 AM
  #263  
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: US West Coast
Posts: 923

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 310 Posts
2 teenage boys on ebikes doing donuts on the lush green lawn in front of a coast guard memorial. They tore it up big time. The next day there were volunteers hard at work putting it back together. I gave them the info of the culprits but they had already left the campground they were staying at. FWIW-those punks weren't pedaling.
SpedFast is offline  
Old 09-20-22, 10:57 AM
  #264  
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,702

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
An E-bike requires pedaling in order to move forward a moped can be pedaled but has a throttle. Let's be clear here and not confuse bicycles with mopeds no matter how crappy or close to a bike that moped might be.
Just so I understand.

When someone stops pedaling an e-assist bike the assist stops at the same time?

It is not like a hand crank generator with a power bank that provides power after the cranking stops?

If the assist stops immediately when the pedaling stops, that is not what I usually see, even with slower moving adult ridden bikes.

I saw a guy pulling a child trailer in our neighborhood. He’s pedaling along and then stops pedaling and the bike keeps going at about the same speed; no racing or donuts, just moving along at the same pace. But I know the road is uphill because I’ve ridden it for years.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Old 09-20-22, 11:23 AM
  #265  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 747

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Golly did some old guy pass you up on a long hill, and make you mad????
No. i am quite comfortable getting passed, as long as proper notice is given. “On your left” or similar. What does make me mad is these moto boys swerving through the bike/walking/jogging traffic at speeds way above what is safe. I wonder are you a Strava disciple? How’s your scoreboard looking?
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-20-22, 06:30 PM
  #266  
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 15,419

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7612 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,807 Posts
You know, if people act badly on pedal bikes, we call them out. When people act badly on e-bikes, we call them out. When people act badly while driving cars ....

Maybe ... just maybe .... the common denominator is bad action and not the vehicle?
Maelochs is offline  
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-20-22, 06:32 PM
  #267  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,082

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,745 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Just so I understand.

When someone stops pedaling an e-assist bike the assist stops at the same time?

It is not like a hand crank generator with a power bank that provides power after the cranking stops?

If the assist stops immediately when the pedaling stops, that is not what I usually see, even with slower moving adult ridden bikes.

I saw a guy pulling a child trailer in our neighborhood. He’s pedaling along and then stops pedaling and the bike keeps going at about the same speed; no racing or donuts, just moving along at the same pace. But I know the road is uphill because I’ve ridden it for years.

John
Correct, you have to be pedaling to get assist there is no assist banking. If they are still going with assistance and not pedaling they are on a throttled vehicle not a proper e-bike. However just like a normal bike you still have the momentum you would have from pedaling.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 09-20-22, 06:58 PM
  #268  
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,702

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Correct, you have to be pedaling to get assist there is no assist banking. If they are still going with assistance and not pedaling they are on a throttled vehicle not a proper e-bike. However just like a normal bike you still have the momentum you would have from pedaling.
Thanks!

John
70sSanO is offline  
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-20-22, 07:03 PM
  #269  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,082

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,745 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Thanks!

John
You are welcome, have a great night and an excellent tomorrow or great whatever time of day it might happen to be in your area and a good date if you happen to be in a place that is a different date than I might be located it.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-20-22, 08:19 PM
  #270  
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,702

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You are welcome, have a great night and an excellent tomorrow or great whatever time of day it might happen to be in your area and a good date if you happen to be in a place that is a different date than I might be located it.
Same back to you. I have learned a lot about e and e-assist bikes.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-20-22, 08:24 PM
  #271  
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,612

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 3,962 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You know, if people act badly on pedal bikes, we call them out. When people act badly on e-bikes, we call them out. When people act badly while driving cars ....

Maybe ... just maybe .... the common denominator is bad action and not the vehicle?
The most egregious MUP behavior I’ve ever seen was not eBikes or people walking dogs on retractable leashes or kids or people sitting on lawn chairs in the path or even the lady sunbathing in the middle of the path. It was a MUP warrior in full cycling kit (not that there’s anything wrong with that) going WAY too hard through a congested blind curve. He was a big guy too. He ALMOST took out a little 4 year old girl on a bike. At least he did the right thing and took a crash to avoid the kid. He went down HARD.

Bad behavior is bad behavior. Kids were trenching lawns long before eBikes.

i see a few throttled eBikes on the MUPs around here. They do move faster than the average casual cyclist, but I don’t ever recall seeing anything menacing or even slightly hazardous. I think the ones that look like old mini bikes are kinda cool. I wouldn’t mind building one up with some really meaty slicks and overkill motor/battery without cranks for general hooliganism (on the streets, of course).
MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 09-20-22, 10:32 PM
  #272  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,655

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I have yet to see someone on an ebike with such poor riding skills that they actually ran into another cyclist. I am sure it has happened but it has to be few and far between. Just like regular cyclists occasionally colliding, it happens. Pretty sure if you have basic riding skills and hold a line you will never collide with an ebike so not really sure what your rant is about?
On numerous occasions on paved roads I have very nearly been hit by an E-bike when the rider was illegally passing on my right. E-bikes are heavy and moving at a good clip and thus any time a bicyclist is hit by one the damage to the bicyclist would be greater than if the E-bike was another bicycle.

Far too many e-bike riders around here seem to have absolutely no idea as to what the Rules of the Road are.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 09-20-22, 10:47 PM
  #273  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 6,809

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 3,277 Times in 1,650 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
On numerous occasions on paved roads I have very nearly been hit by an E-bike when the rider was illegally passing on my right...

Far too many e-bike riders around here seem to have absolutely no idea as to what the Rules of the Road are.
Are overtaking bikes/vehicles required to pass on the left? Here in California, they can pass wherever there is room.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

Zwift: Terry Morse [OldAF]
ROUVY: terrymorse





terrymorse is offline  
Old 09-20-22, 11:56 PM
  #274  
hoppipola
 
holytrousers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 423

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Are overtaking bikes/vehicles required to pass on the left? Here in California, they can pass wherever there is room.
... wherever there is room and it's safe to do so !

Why isn't traffic code unified in the US ?
holytrousers is offline  
Old 09-21-22, 09:55 AM
  #275  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 6,809

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 3,277 Times in 1,650 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Why isn't traffic code unified in the US ?
Why indeed, that sure would make driving simpler.

I think the problem is that the federal government doesn't have the power to enforce driving rules on the states.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

Zwift: Terry Morse [OldAF]
ROUVY: terrymorse





terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.