Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Old 09-27-22, 07:09 AM
  #326  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,109
Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16633 Post(s)
Liked 11,723 Times in 5,610 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Why would you pass someone on the right? Who cares if California says you can, its super obnoxious
Viewed one way, a circular paceline is nothing but a constant passing on the right formation.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-27-22, 04:34 PM
  #327  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 2,074

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 542 Times in 311 Posts
was out riding Sunday when guy came up on an e-bike and asked "you ever thought about putting a motor on your bike"? When I said no, he said "you should, it's a lot more fun". Then he rode off
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-28-22, 05:23 AM
  #328  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,836

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7816 Post(s)
Liked 8,347 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Why would you pass someone on the right? Who cares if California says you can, its super obnoxious

If it's going to be a close enough pass of a cyclist on either side to warrant concern, announce it and then what's obnoxious about it?
I just can't figure out how you decide what is or isn't obnoxious, your etiquette meter seems to be wired backwards.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 09-28-22, 06:21 AM
  #329  
RB1-luvr
I don't know.
 
RB1-luvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Meriden, CT
Posts: 1,453

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 185 Posts
I'm perfectly ok with e-bikes until they are more like a motorized vehicle (prohibited on the trails in my area) than a bicycle. I see some regulars that don't pedal at all, and ride approx 25 mph, and the bikes are HUGE. They look more like motorcycles, with triple tree forks, 5" wide tires, massive multi-LED headlights. One is a trike, and he goes very fast, again, with no pedaling. Seems dangerous.

I like seeing the e-boards. That looks fun and they don't seem troublesome.
RB1-luvr is offline  
Old 09-28-22, 04:43 PM
  #330  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
If it's going to be a close enough pass of a cyclist on either side to warrant concern, announce it and then what's obnoxious about it?
I just can't figure out how you decide what is or isn't obnoxious, your etiquette meter seems to be wired backwards.
I would only pass someone on the right if I knew who they were and know they wouldn't care. Generally I don't think you should have to announce yourself; if the pass is close enough that it warrants an announcement then you probably shouldn't be making that pass and you certainly shouldn't be doing it from the unexpected side (the right.) That being said when I ride with other people I tend to say "inside" or "on your right" more than "on your left" specifically because being on the inside/to the right is kind of unexpected and unusual.

I was commenting on terry because he seems to be a letter of the law type when talking about a scooter dudes top speed (lol!) so I find it interesting that he would ever pass another cyclist on the right. He can pass the cars however he wants I dont care.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 09-28-22, 04:52 PM
  #331  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Viewed one way, a circular paceline is nothing but a constant passing on the right formation.
Sure, but I was referring to passing strangers. The tropes of the "silent roadie in full kit buzzing past" or "Mr. 'on your left', champion of the multi use path" exist for a reason. I find it funny that a lot of the ire towards ebikers, such as them making unsafe passes, are also directed towards "serious" road cyclists. Its like nobody hates people who ride bikes more than other people who ride bikes LOL
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 03:02 AM
  #332  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,836

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7816 Post(s)
Liked 8,347 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I would only pass someone on the right if I knew who they were and know they wouldn't care. Generally I don't think you should have to announce yourself; if the pass is close enough that it warrants an announcement then you probably shouldn't be making that pass and you certainly shouldn't be doing it from the unexpected side (the right.) That being said when I ride with other people I tend to say "inside" or "on your right" more than "on your left" specifically because being on the inside/to the right is kind of unexpected and unusual.

I was commenting on terry because he seems to be a letter of the law type when talking about a scooter dudes top speed (lol!) so I find it interesting that he would ever pass another cyclist on the right. He can pass the cars however he wants I dont care.
You are really unclear on the concept of what announcing is for--if it's too close to pass, I'm not going to pass. I announce to prevent someone from unexpectedly swerving in a manner that will cut off the passing lane. Generally, my passes on roads don't warrant announcing because I will swing way out enough so that there really isn't even a theoretical possibility of such a swerve, but I will announce if I sense ANY possibility that could happen even if it's remote. I would only pass a cyclist on the right if they were way out in the road and I'm not sure it's ever actually happened, but any rudeness due to it being unexpected is alleviated by the announcement. If they don't want to be passed, they need to ride faster.
​​​​​I have passed cyclists on the right on MUPs, but they had no business riding on the left side of the path, and I always announce on MUPs.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 07:25 AM
  #333  
prj71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 658 Posts
I just yell "On Your Left" and pass people on roads and MUPS.

Never have passed on the right. Even if I could have passed on the right I still yell "on your left" because it forces people to be on the right...Where they should be in the first place.
prj71 is online now  
Old 09-29-22, 07:36 AM
  #334  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,375

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN View Post
Just catching up after being gone a week riding my E bicycle along the Erie Canal.
I do not see this as a straw man argument at all. The message in this thread is clear. There are a bunch of cyclists in this thread that look down their noses at me because I ride an E bicycle exclusively and do not share their view that a bicycle is primarily a piece of exercise equipment. In fact, I look at an E bicycle as just the opposite. Yeah, I know it "does not apply" to me but I get the clear message that it does from this thread.
Today I went out and rode my cadence sensed E bicycle with the dropper post all the way down while ghost pedaling. For you casual observers: "I was an ignorant newbie" instead of a guy using his E bicycle to loosen up stiff joints after working under a piece of machinery. With the saddle all the way down and no pedal pressure, I can roll my hips, knees and ankles through a wide range of motion. On a regular bike I would be cramping in a couple of miles. Instead, I could walk normal without stiffness and pain after two miles.
That's quite the victim mentality. There's been a lot of posters in this topic advocating for e-bikes for commuters, exercise, rehabilitation, touring.

You're reading what you want to read.

What's more, these topics bleed out from the subforums like "e-bikes" or "recumbents" in the general topics. Where manual input diamond frame bikes dominate the chat. You cannot reasonably expect the outcome to be 100% supportive instead of 80/20 or even 50/50. If that's what you seek, there are entire chat forums and sub-forums for it where the support will be closer to 100%.

Kind of like a bike racer shouldn't jump into a fitness/touring/leisure topic and expect to receive 100% support.
burnthesheep is offline  
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-29-22, 10:19 AM
  #335  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,836

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7816 Post(s)
Liked 8,347 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
I just yell "On Your Left" and pass people on roads and MUPS.

Never have passed on the right. Even if I could have passed on the right I still yell "on your left" because it forces people to be on the right...Where they should be in the first place.

I don't do it often, but I have passed on the right on paths when people seem to be too clueless to figure out they should've stayed to the right in the first place, and I really don't want to have to wait while they sort that out. I make damn sure they know I'm there before start my pass, though.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 09-29-22, 11:05 AM
  #336  
KPREN
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Wadsworth, Ohio
Posts: 343

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
I just yell "On Your Left" and pass people on roads and MUPS.

Never have passed on the right. Even if I could have passed on the right I still yell "on your left" because it forces people to be on the right...Where they should be in the first place.
Do you hit them when you encounter the hard of hearing or do you take the grass?
KPREN is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 11:12 AM
  #337  
KPREN
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Wadsworth, Ohio
Posts: 343

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
That's quite the victim mentality. There's been a lot of posters in this topic advocating for e-bikes for commuters, exercise, rehabilitation, touring.

You're reading what you want to read.

What's more, these topics bleed out from the subforums like "e-bikes" or "recumbents" in the general topics. Where manual input diamond frame bikes dominate the chat. You cannot reasonably expect the outcome to be 100% supportive instead of 80/20 or even 50/50. If that's what you seek, there are entire chat forums and sub-forums for it where the support will be closer to 100%.

Kind of like a bike racer shouldn't jump into a fitness/touring/leisure topic and expect to receive 100% support.
This whole thread actually belongs in the new Trolling forum because that is exactly what it is.
KPREN is offline  
Likes For KPREN:
Old 09-29-22, 12:20 PM
  #338  
prj71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 658 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN View Post
Do you hit them when you encounter the hard of hearing or do you take the grass?
I have not encountered that situation. I yell, people move over. Pretty simple.
prj71 is online now  
Old 09-29-22, 01:33 PM
  #339  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
I have not encountered that situation. I yell, people move over. Pretty simple.
Thats super obnoxious, youd ask someone to change how they are riding and move over? Wow
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 01:57 PM
  #340  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,836

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7816 Post(s)
Liked 8,347 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Thats super obnoxious, youd ask someone to change how they are riding and move over? Wow

Ever get stuck behind slow moving riders taking up both sides of a path? They get two polite requests then the very loud demanding one. I've been a singer in a couple of punk bands, my loud is really loud.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 02:05 PM
  #341  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,109
Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16633 Post(s)
Liked 11,723 Times in 5,610 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Ever get stuck behind slow moving riders taking up both sides of a path? They get two polite requests then the very loud demanding one. I've been a singer in a couple of punk bands, my loud is really loud.
IKR. My voice goes up to 11.

I once gave 3 loud warnings to a jogger wearing earphones. No response. Finally passed her. Scared to hell out of her. She told me I should give a warning. I told her I gave 3 loud ones and that the problem must be the volume of her music.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-29-22, 02:34 PM
  #342  
rsbob 
😵‍💫
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 3,953
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,654 Posts
If people don’t move, I hit them with a cattle prod or stun gun. Depends on what I feel like carrying. (Kidding). I would hit Larry with a stun gun because I care.
__________________
Road and Mountain 🚴🏾‍♂️



rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-30-22, 07:43 AM
  #343  
prj71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 658 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Thats super obnoxious, youd ask someone to change how they are riding and move over? Wow
This isn't that complicated. If someone is in front of me on a MUP and walking, jogging or riding their bike slower then me I just yell "on your left!!" and they always move over to the right. Works out for everyone and avoids a crash.
prj71 is online now  
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-30-22, 09:32 AM
  #344  
SpedFast
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: West Coast
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
If people don’t move, I hit them with a cattle prod or stun gun. Depends on what I feel like carrying. (Kidding). I would hit Larry with a stun gun because I care.
Yeah, you and a lot of other people because we care. No, seriously, we would miss Larry if he didn't add his wisdom now and again.
SpedFast is offline  
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 09-30-22, 10:39 AM
  #345  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,836

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7816 Post(s)
Liked 8,347 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
IKR. My voice goes up to 11.

I once gave 3 loud warnings to a jogger wearing earphones. No response. Finally passed her. Scared to hell out of her. She told me I should give a warning. I told her I gave 3 loud ones and that the problem must be the volume of her music.

I've had that experience--"I said it 3 times, loudly, you obviously can't hear through those". "oh, yeah, sorry". People really forget they can't hear.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 09-30-22, 10:44 AM
  #346  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,836

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7816 Post(s)
Liked 8,347 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
This isn't that complicated. If someone is in front of me on a MUP and walking, jogging or riding their bike slower then me I just yell "on your left!!" and they always move over to the right. Works out for everyone and avoids a crash.

There's the occasional odd case where it's just easier to say on your right--like when someone's riding on the wrong side with their little kid on training wheels. With pedestrians, it's often easier to do the right pass because their dog is on the left side sniffing or something.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-30-22, 12:14 PM
  #347  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,114

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3567 Post(s)
Liked 2,040 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
I just yell "On Your Left" and pass people on roads and MUPS.
.
I prefer to use a bell, it has never failed me yet. I can't stand cyclists who shout and yell on your left.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-30-22, 02:39 PM
  #348  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,836

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7816 Post(s)
Liked 8,347 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I prefer to use a bell, it has never failed me yet. I can't stand cyclists who shout and yell on your left.

I hate bells. I find them difficult to locate because their volumes vary too much and the tone is too short to triangulate, We're even.

BTW, I've seen plenty of times when people don't know how to respond to a bell.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-01-22, 08:26 PM
  #349  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 745

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 74 Posts
Electric-motor bike

Lady comes to the local neighborhood bar and she has an e-bike . I compliment her on it and take a close look. The hubs , spokes , and tires look like s motorcycle. I guess it was 1 less car on the road that's a good thing. I think commuting with them is ok. I just wonder how bikes and electric motor-bikes will share space on bike routes or on bike trails/gravel etc.
rossiny is offline  
Old 10-01-22, 09:36 PM
  #350  
rsbob 
😵‍💫
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 3,953
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,654 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider View Post
was out riding Sunday when guy came up on an e-bike and asked "you ever thought about putting a motor on your bike"? When I said no, he said "you should, it's a lot more fun". Then he rode off
Should have replied, Have you ever thought of putting cards in your spokes? Itís a lot more fun and sounds like you have a real motor.
__________________
Road and Mountain 🚴🏾‍♂️



rsbob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.