Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Old 10-09-22, 08:05 PM
  #26  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,750

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
OK. A lot of responses here so let me clarify this a bit.

1. I stated it was overcast, not foggy. I could see ahead and behind at least 200+ yards so clarity was good. So there was no reason to have my headlights on. Apparently the cyclist didn't see a need to either because I saw no flashing lights on his bike, neither front nor back. That to me is a dumb and dangerous move on his part. Despite that, I knew he was there and tried to deal with his presence in as safe a manner as possible under the circumstances. It would have been easy to accelerate and give him wide birth as I sped past him. However, I chose to respect his space and I had hoped he would have respected mine, as well, which he did not.
2. I could also see that the bike lane was clear of debris and he had no reason to be in the middle of the road other than by choice.
3. As I got within a 100 ft. of him, that was the point he moved back into the road ahead of me. I slowed down and hit my horn to remind him I was still there and he kindly (or so I thought that would be his reaction) moved back into his lane and remained there.
4. Once he did that, I passed by under the speed limit (30 MPH) just in case he decided to disrespect my space again.

I ride, as well, and I really dislike it when a car is going over the speed limit, has the room to move towards the middle of the road to give me space and still gets close enough to me in the bike lane that I could clip the side mirror with my elbow.

So, I like all the assumptions people have made here but what gets me is how fast you jumped on my case for respecting the presence of the cyclist and assume I was completely in the wrong, like cyclists don't exhibit dumb and dangerous behavior, because it does happen. And, like others have posted here, cyclists are not immune from making bad choices. This is why drivers get pissed off and take out the next cyclist they encounter. I practice the utmost respect when I'm out riding because I know the potentially unfortunate circumstances if I don't.

So, from my point of view, I did nothing wrong (even the honking) and did everything i could to respect the cyclist's space and remind him I was there. The fact that he wanted to put the blame on me for his inappropriate manner of riding is unacceptable. The next person to come along may not be as respectful and understanding as I am and he could end paying the price for his arrogance. That's on him, not me.
As far as I can tell, the rider was just embarrassed at being called out for doing something wrong and wanted something to throw back at you to level the playing field. That being said, I still avoid honking at cyclists unless absolutely necessary to notify them of an immediate danger they are not aware of. This is simply because a honk can startle them and make them involuntarily swerve and/or lose control. In this case, you may not have seen some debris or something the rider was avoiding (probably not, but you never know).
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 10-09-22, 08:11 PM
  #27  
CAT7RDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hacienda Hgts
Posts: 1,751

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 780 Posts
I managed to hold my composure when a well meaning motorist gave me three quick beeps then passed me this morning on a canyon road.
I refrained from flipping him the bird, yelling "Adam Henry!" at the top of my lungs or launching a snot rocket as he passed.
I did score half a bottle of generic vodka in the local dumpster so I drowned my rage in free abandoned libations.

Lord help us as a fallen culture of putzes. See, I got one past the censors.
CAT7RDR is offline  
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-09-22, 08:13 PM
  #28  
stephr1
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
As far as I can tell, the rider was just embarrassed at being called out for doing something wrong and wanted something to throw back at you to level the playing field. That being said, I still avoid honking at cyclists unless absolutely necessary to notify them of an immediate danger they are not aware of. This is simply because a honk can startle them and make them involuntarily swerve and/or lose control. In this case, you may not have seen some debris or something the rider was avoiding (probably not, but you never know).
I get that and your point is well taken. However, in this particular case, this cyclist was doing things that were dangerous for his well-being. Were I not the person I am, I might have said "F*ck it!" and given him little, to no, consideration. Most of the riders I encounter are very much well-aware of traffic coming towards them and have always been good about moving over back into the lane. And I am always cautious as I pass by in my car. It's a simple case of mutual respect. I respect vehicles when I'm out riding and cyclists when I am driving. This guy was incredibly disrespectful, imho
stephr1 is offline  
Old 10-09-22, 08:19 PM
  #29  
stephr1
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad View Post
In all seriousness, I don't honk prior to, or while passing a cyclist while driving. Don't want to scare the hell out of someone. But usually I just slow down and drive carefully.
I did not wait until I was up and behind him. I was prob'ly a good 25-30 ft. back so it shouldn't have been loud enough to startle him but enough that he had to hear me. If he didn't then he was not paying very good attention to his surroundings. Besides, I saw him look back my direction a couple of times so he had to know I was there. If he didn't, see my previous sentence.
stephr1 is offline  
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-09-22, 08:21 PM
  #30  
stephr1
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR View Post
I managed to hold my composure when a well meaning motorist gave me three quick beeps then passed me this morning on a canyon road.
I refrained from flipping him the bird, yelling "Adam Henry!" at the top of my lungs or launching a snot rocket as he passed.
I did score half a bottle of generic vodka in the local dumpster so I drowned my rage in free abandoned libations.

Lord help us as a fallen culture of putzes. See, I got one past the censors.
You prob'ly could have also used "schmuck" or "schwanz" or "petzle" (or is that "petzl"?
stephr1 is offline  
Old 10-09-22, 08:26 PM
  #31  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,203

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3438 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,832 Posts
No need to honk at a cyclist I always hate that and in the past would respond in kind with some choice words or one of my fingers no particular one just anything say in the middle. These days I don't because I am trying to be a slightly less aggressive cyclist in that regard as I don't think it helps me (however not judging anyone else). I sometimes don't ride in bike lanes because they can have all manner of issues.

There is one I sometimes take that is partial and short and right now it is full of fallen nuts or something with a relatively hard round shell so it is like a mini skee ball in the lane and is not fun to ride into plus recently had two cyclists that were riding the opposite way in this clearly marked bike lane and because it is a new one and there are houses and such it has plenty of opportunities for cars to get into. However I didn't need to mention in a thread that incident as annoying as it was it was over quickly and I wasn't harmed and they can go fornicate with themselves (which they may have been on their way to do and that is great, fornication is a lovely thing)

Also sometimes I am going at a rather fast clip and a skinny bike lane gives me less room to ride safely and comfortably at higher speeds.

Also beard color or perceived age doesn't matter either who cares they could be 10 years old or 90 years old or somewhere outside or in-between and there is still no reason to honk at a cyclist to let them know you are coming for them ready to speed past them. Just pass them, the only reason I would honk would be out of anger or maybe if I dropped something which has happened but usually it is because someone is angry at me.

People get so worked up about a few seconds delay while driving yet they then come here to complain about it for minutes or more. Waste your time if you want that is what we are all doing but don't waste that time to whine about having to take some extra time to go around a cyclist (that you felt the need to honk at for some reason) on a cycling forum. Surely you could have spent that time asking about the best chain lube or why certain pedals are better or worse?

Also assume makes an ass out of u and me.

Speaking of wagons, maybe this thread makes sense as Wagon Master General Runciman said "you have to let the effusions out, Sharpe" and this feels like a giant fart. Also speaking of wasting time you should all watch the Sharpe's series it is excellent if you like Napoleonic era war and love dramas focused around a soldier who saves Wellingtons life and rises up from the ranks. It comes from a series of books by Bernard Cromwell and stars Sean Bean as the titular character and is really well done. I think you can find them on the yootubes but I happen to be lucky enough to have the box set.
veganbikes is online now  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-22, 08:29 PM
  #32  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,451

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24415 Post(s)
Liked 8,187 Times in 5,722 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post

1. I stated it was overcast, not foggy. I could see ahead and behind at least 200+ yards so clarity was good. So there was no reason to have my headlights on. Apparently the cyclist didn't see a need to either because I saw no flashing lights on his bike, neither front nor back. That to me is a dumb and dangerous move on his part. Despite that, I knew he was there and tried to deal with his presence in as safe a manner as possible under the circumstances. It would have been easy to accelerate and give him wide birth as I sped past him. However, I chose to respect his space and I had hoped he would have respected mine, as well, which he did not.
2. I could also see that the bike lane was clear of debris and he had no reason to be in the middle of the road other than by choice.
3. As I got within a 100 ft. of him, that was the point he moved back into the road ahead of me. I slowed down and hit my horn to remind him I was still there and he kindly (or so I thought that would be his reaction) moved back into his lane and remained there.
4. Once he did that, I passed by under the speed limit (30 MPH) just in case he decided to disrespect my space again.
...Lawsy me, but you really need to brush up on the vehicle code for bike riding in California, amigo. There is no way on God's green earth that you, in your car, can see the same junk in the bike lane, that I can see from my perch on my bicycle. Broken glass is a favorite one here, and the bike lanes rarely get swept. Not sure how often or how far you ride a bicycle, but even someone who just goes back and forth to the grocery store ought to know this much.

People are going to spend the rest of this thread teeing off on you. At first, I did not want to join them. Now it just feels right.


Short version: the roadway is not "your space", because you are driving a car in it. If there is something in the bike lane that I deem a hazard, (and there often is), I don't need youir ass second guessing my decision to take the lane. And I really don't need you rationalizing that you did it for my own good.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 10-09-22, 08:35 PM
  #33  
stephr1
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
No need to honk at a cyclist I always hate that and in the past would respond in kind with some choice words or one of my fingers no particular one just anything say in the middle. These days I don't because I am trying to be a slightly less aggressive cyclist in that regard as I don't think it helps me (however not judging anyone else). I sometimes don't ride in bike lanes because they can have all manner of issues.

There is one I sometimes take that is partial and short and right now it is full of fallen nuts or something with a relatively hard round shell so it is like a mini skee ball in the lane and is not fun to ride into plus recently had two cyclists that were riding the opposite way in this clearly marked bike lane and because it is a new one and there are houses and such it has plenty of opportunities for cars to get into. However I didn't need to mention in a thread that incident as annoying as it was it was over quickly and I wasn't harmed and they can go fornicate with themselves (which they may have been on their way to do and that is great, fornication is a lovely thing)

Also sometimes I am going at a rather fast clip and a skinny bike lane gives me less room to ride safely and comfortably at higher speeds.

Also beard color or perceived age doesn't matter either who cares they could be 10 years old or 90 years old or somewhere outside or in-between and there is still no reason to honk at a cyclist to let them know you are coming for them ready to speed past them. Just pass them, the only reason I would honk would be out of anger or maybe if I dropped something which has happened but usually it is because someone is angry at me.

People get so worked up about a few seconds delay while driving yet they then come here to complain about it for minutes or more. Waste your time if you want that is what we are all doing but don't waste that time to whine about having to take some extra time to go around a cyclist (that you felt the need to honk at for some reason) on a cycling forum. Surely you could have spent that time asking about the best chain lube or why certain pedals are better or worse?

Also assume makes an ass out of u and me.

Speaking of wagons, maybe this thread makes sense as Wagon Master General Runciman said "you have to let the effusions out, Sharpe" and this feels like a giant fart. Also speaking of wasting time you should all watch the Sharpe's series it is excellent if you like Napoleonic era war and love dramas focused around a soldier who saves Wellingtons life and rises up from the ranks. It comes from a series of books by Bernard Cromwell and stars Sean Bean as the titular character and is really well done. I think you can find them on the yootubes but I happen to be lucky enough to have the box set.
Impatience wasn't my issue. It was the fact that this cyclist gave all signs he knew (or should have known) I was there. Like I said, I was respectful and patient to make sure he was over and out of the way and then passed slowly, just in case. I did all I could to make sure the cyclist was safe. Maybe I resent the fact (maybe more disappointed) that he refused to see it that way and decided to blame me for his bad choices in how he rode.
stephr1 is offline  
Old 10-09-22, 08:41 PM
  #34  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,041

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,121 Times in 1,425 Posts
folks will do what they do.
If I hear a honk, my initial thought isn't positive.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 10-09-22, 08:42 PM
  #35  
stephr1
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA (Yes, that one :)
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...Lawsy me, but you really need to brush up on the vehicle code for bike riding in California, amigo. There is no way on God's green earth that you, in your car, can see the same junk in the bike lane, that I can see from my perch on my bicycle. Broken glass is a favorite one here, and the bike lanes rarely get swept. Not sure how often or how far you ride a bicycle, but even someone who just goes back and forth to the grocery store ought to know this much.

People are going to spend the rest of this thread teeing off on you. At first, I did not want to join them. Now it just feels right.


Short version: the roadway is not "your space", because you are driving a car in it. If there is something in the bike lane that I deem a hazard, (and there often is), I don't need youir ass second guessing my decision to take the lane. And I really don't need you rationalizing that you did it for my own good.
And I don't need a cyclist suddenly pulling out in front of me because he's riding too fast to slow down if he sees an obstacle in the road. Sorry, but this goes both ways. And if I thought I owned the road (which I know I don't) I never would have been respectful to give him the space and time to move back over. I'm not second-guessing anyone's decision. My expectation is that both riders and drivers understand the implications of bad choices and rash decisions while riding or driving and to not make those decisions.
stephr1 is offline  
Old 10-09-22, 08:52 PM
  #36  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,041

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,121 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
Impatience wasn't my issue. Like I said, I was respectful and patient to make sure he was over and out of the way and then passed slowly, just in case. I did all I could to make sure the cyclist was safe.
Unless posted, you treat that situation no different than a car, motorcycle, semi, moped; You wait for a clearing of traffic coming from the other direction, & once safe, you use the opposing traffic lane to safely pass the person in front of you. By doing so, you eliminate the confrontational honk, exercise the use of light alerting, & reduce the wagon response.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 10-09-22, 08:54 PM
  #37  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,558
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5969 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 3,907 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
Yep. Love to instigate controversy but am surprised at how fast the wagons got circled
You've instigated something, but it's not controversy.

Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been here in a while but this morning motivated me to check in, kind of.
Feel free to take another long break from the forum.
Koyote is online now  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-09-22, 08:58 PM
  #38  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,203

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3438 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
Impatience wasn't my issue. It was the fact that this cyclist gave all signs he knew (or should have known) I was there. Like I said, I was respectful and patient to make sure he was over and out of the way and then passed slowly, just in case. I did all I could to make sure the cyclist was safe. Maybe I resent the fact (maybe more disappointed) that he refused to see it that way and decided to blame me for his bad choices in how he rode.
I don't see a honk as respect, like I said it is beyond rare to get a honk out of respect it is usually out of anger even if a short toot or a long hold.

"his bad choices in how he rode" HAHAHAHAHA seriously he could have been avoiding something you didn't see from your car which can be obstructed view as you have a big old vehicle body around you that isn't clear and some smaller glass to see out of and plenty to distract you. He didn't need to see it your way as the bigger vehicle honking at him and deciding because you are in the bigger vehicle you should decide where someone else should ride.

If he was swerving and going into the opposite side of traffic and really truly being as dangerous as a small vehicle like a bike can be then OK. However from your account it just seemed like he was in YOUR way and you didn't care for that and decided you need to let him know and you also knew he shouldn't ride where he was because you had already made the internal determination for him that the bike lane was wholly perfect and safe. Even if you in your own head thought you were noble you honked at a cyclist which in most cases is not a positive thing. You then came to a cycling forum and complained about it.

A rational also cyclist would have said internally or maybe out loud to themselves "do I want to be honked at? NO your right I should just pass them and maybe wave and just go about my day and not worry why they were where they are as they probably had a reason for it good or bad it really didn't effect you that much beyond a few seconds to maybe at max a minute which people spend many more of on this forum which is not a complaint as we all enjoy it to some degree but it is a time waste like many other things we do in life. How many candies has the world crushed or birds angered or n00bs pwned? I know a bunch of pennies can add up over time but who cares enjoy your life, ride a bike more and don't worry so much about another cyclist unless they need you to and please don't honk at them. Honks are angry even if they aren't because nobodies first reaction to a honk is ever really positive when someones comes up from behind.
veganbikes is online now  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-22, 09:01 PM
  #39  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,451

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24415 Post(s)
Liked 8,187 Times in 5,722 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
And I don't need a cyclist suddenly pulling out in front of me because he's riding too fast to slow down if he sees an obstacle in the road. ...
... are you actually licensed to drive in California, or is that part of your trolling persona ?
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-09-22, 09:28 PM
  #40  
RChung
Perceptual Dullard
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 292 Posts
RChung is offline  
Old 10-10-22, 12:11 AM
  #41  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,391

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6, 1987 Centurion SS/FG.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 810 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
folks will do what they do.
If I hear a honk, my initial thought isn't positive.
Agreed.

A honk from a car behind is unfriendly. Always. It's not "I'm here", it's "I'm here and I'm in a car. Get out of the way." That's not friendly, it's an implied threat. Essentially saying, "if you don't do what I think you should do, I might kill you." When people are threatened with violence, they don't always respond with timidity.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-10-22, 03:50 AM
  #42  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,010
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16569 Post(s)
Liked 11,527 Times in 5,550 Posts
Imagine getting enjoyment out of starting this thread.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-10-22, 05:17 AM
  #43  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,015

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 480 Posts
If someone behind me gives me a toot on the horn I politely wave to acknowledge their presence. If it's an "aggressive" honk..... when they get beside me I respond with my AirZound. 😎

Last edited by Murray Missile; 10-10-22 at 05:24 AM.
Murray Missile is offline  
Old 10-10-22, 05:21 AM
  #44  
twonky
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Memphis, TN.
Posts: 5

Bikes: '85 mongoose ATB, Mongoose IBOC Pro Sx, Mongoose pro Titanium road bike..Paramount MT.Bike, series 70.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
your point ? again, bashing a cyclist in a bike forum...I dunno ....sheesh
twonky is offline  
Old 10-10-22, 05:59 AM
  #45  
Shadco
Resident PIA
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 620

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1 View Post
Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been here in a while but this morning motivated me to check in, kind of.

I was in my car heading over to the grocery store this morning. I was on one of those streets that wasn't a main street but wasn't really residential. It does get a bit of traffic at times during the day but this morning was fairly quiet.

It was about 7:30AM and, while the sun was up, it was still a little dusky because of the overcast (SF Bay Area in the fall). Some cars had their headlights on, others did not. Some of the street lights were on, others not. I did not have my lights on because it was light enough to see things just fine. I'm driving along said street which is single lane on each side with matching bike lanes. I look ahead and see a guy on a road bike going my direction and he seems to be more in the road than the bike lane. As I closed in on him I beeped (not lay on the horn for 10 secs.) to let him know I was coming so he would make sure to stay in the bike lane (there were no left turns coming up so he had no reason to be in the car lane).

He moved back into the bike lane (he had started to drift back into the main road, so I slowed down and tried not to crowd him). As I went by him, rather than give me a "thanks" wave for letting him know, he yelled at me: "Lights!". I looked at the guy and he was a bit older (because he had a fairly gray beard). I thought "What an a** hole." and drove on. As an after thought, I should have yelled back at him "Stay in the bike lane!" but it was too late.

So, that was my Sunday "encounter-a-jerk" morning and I went on to the store.

It bothered me at the time but the rest of my day has been fine. Sighhhhh......
Calling oneself out an a forum is a new one.

.
Shadco is online now  
Likes For Shadco:
Old 10-10-22, 08:50 AM
  #46  
tkamd73 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 1,703

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 453 Posts
Too many “ jerks” on the road without their lights on, because they can see fine. Especially impressed with the ones driving white cars while it’s snowing, also grey and silver ones in fog or rain.
Tim
tkamd73 is offline  
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-10-22, 09:02 AM
  #47  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,940 Posts
Not all drivers are jerks; some are just letting you know they're back there with a quick toot-toot. Just think of it as a big bicycle bell.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-10-22, 09:03 AM
  #48  
Rolla
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,262 Times in 1,437 Posts
When did this site redirect to NextDoor?
Rolla is offline  
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-10-22, 09:27 AM
  #49  
Iride01 
more daylight today!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 12,230

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5008 Post(s)
Liked 3,515 Times in 2,440 Posts
You get in front of your car and let me beep the horn. It's not something you'll enjoy or think of as a friendly gesture when you are close up.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 10-10-22, 09:37 AM
  #50  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,280 Times in 4,595 Posts
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.