Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Velocity deep v with tires bigger than 28?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Velocity deep v with tires bigger than 28?

Old 01-04-23, 03:10 PM
  #1  
testertips
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
testertips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Velocity deep v with tires bigger than 28?

Have some velocity deep Vs and wondering if anyone has tried running tires bigger than 28. 13mm inner rim width? Looking to covert an old bike to gravel and wondering or is 28 good enough for this purpose?
testertips is offline  
Old 01-04-23, 04:06 PM
  #2  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,708
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6082 Post(s)
Liked 9,224 Times in 3,985 Posts
Velocity actually lists the ID as 14mm, which is still pretty narrow. I'd have no problems running 32mm-wide tires, maybe even 35mm. That might work okay, and it gets you into faux-gravel range. Just understand that 35mm tires won't be great on the rough stuff.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-04-23, 04:29 PM
  #3  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,452

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 2,875 Times in 1,924 Posts
As Koyote said you could probably run wider tires but it is pretty narrow and Deep Vs are not my choice for much of anything beyond looks on a fixed gear bicycle. If I wanted a little deep but nothing too heavy Ailerons or Quills depending on braking needs or if I am carrying a bit of weight Dyads and a lot of weight Atlases and if I want low profile roadie stuff for some reason (on a gravel bike) I would go A23 all of which are fantastic rims but some have different purposes.

35s would work but yeah wider is always better especially off road 38s are really the minimum for me these days.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-04-23, 04:33 PM
  #4  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,708
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6082 Post(s)
Liked 9,224 Times in 3,985 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
As Koyote said you could probably run wider tires but it is pretty narrow and Deep Vs are not my choice for much of anything beyond looks on a fixed gear bicycle. If I wanted a little deep but nothing too heavy Ailerons or Quills depending on braking needs or if I am carrying a bit of weight Dyads and a lot of weight Atlases and if I want low profile roadie stuff for some reason (on a gravel bike) I would go A23 all of which are fantastic rims but some have different purposes.

35s would work but yeah wider is always better especially off road 38s are really the minimum for me these days.
I think the OP already has the wheels and wants to know if they'll work for gravel. But I agree with everything you wrote.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-04-23, 05:31 PM
  #5  
bboy314
Full Member
 
bboy314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pioneer Valley
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 127 Posts
Iíve used them plenty with 35s with no issue.
bboy314 is offline  
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-04-23, 05:48 PM
  #6  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,452

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 2,875 Times in 1,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
I think the OP already has the wheels and wants to know if they'll work for gravel. But I agree with everything you wrote.
Thanks, I figured that but in case they were fans of Velocity I wanted to give them good rim options in case they wanted something different.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-04-23, 07:30 PM
  #7  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked 1,033 Times in 531 Posts
I absolutely love the durability of the Deep V rims. Been using them for rear wheels on commuter bikes whose owners have had issues with wheel true or rim bends. Been doing this for at least the past 15 years. I use one myself on my beater bike as well. Been in service since 2010 and zero issues. Not indestructible like an Aerospoke wheel, but darned close. Often I match them with 38mm tires and make sure the rider knows to keep max pressure in the tire, and if a conti tire, I recommend over inflation of 10psi, which is what I do on my own bike. For gravel use on roads that are not washboard, running lower pressure will be fine, but don't get too crazy with the pressure as you are inviting problems.
Never had any issues running 38mm tires on them. No pinch flats, or other issues everyone warns about, but often have zero experience with. Use good rim tape, Velox is my choice.
TiHabanero is offline  
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-04-23, 08:02 PM
  #8  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,761
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2977 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 314 Posts
You can run them with 55mm tires. There is no limit.
Kontact is offline  
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-04-23, 11:18 PM
  #9  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 26,084

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5410 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,769 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Velocity actually lists the ID as 14mm, which is still pretty narrow. I'd have no problems running 32mm-wide tires, maybe even 35mm. That might work okay, and it gets you into faux-gravel range. Just understand that 35mm tires won't be great on the rough stuff.
Same here. I think mine are 38s. No issues but I wouldnít expect any as I run 17mm rims with 58mm tires and have for decades.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is online now  
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-05-23, 07:06 AM
  #10  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 2,734

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 644 Posts
Yep, I have used up to 35mm. My gravel/offroad riding is of the easier variety. Regarding width, I have found 28mm tires on gravel is certainly doable, depending on type of gravel, definitely not optimal. In my situation 32 is good, 35 is better. That was the widest tire I could use on any of my bikes. If I was going to really get into gravel riding, I would want a wheel/tire combo built for that purpose, with 35 being minimum. For handling and comfort, a wider stance is a lot better, not to mention puncture resistance, even with tubeless.
delbiker1 is offline  
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-05-23, 10:39 AM
  #11  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 28,765

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4985 Post(s)
Liked 3,111 Times in 2,063 Posts
FWIW came across this chart recently
https://i.stack.imgur.com/S0Tib.jpg


found that here
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...-on-my-bicycle

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-05-23 at 10:43 AM.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-05-23, 10:54 AM
  #12  
testertips
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
testertips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Cool... it's a Kilo TT that's looking lonely in the corner I'll be building up. I typically ride brakeless, but will include a front brake on this one. Suggestions on caliper brakes with 32 - 35mm clearance?
testertips is offline  
Old 01-05-23, 12:11 PM
  #13  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,708
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6082 Post(s)
Liked 9,224 Times in 3,985 Posts
Originally Posted by testertips View Post
Cool... it's a Kilo TT that's looking lonely in the corner I'll be building up. I typically ride brakeless, but will include a front brake on this one. Suggestions on caliper brakes with 32 - 35mm clearance?
This bike? If so, you should've shared this up front. I very much doubt that bike's frame will accomodate 35s, and 32s might not fit. Hell, you might not get a 28mm tire in there. That bike is NOT designed to take wide tires.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-05-23, 01:41 PM
  #14  
testertips
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
testertips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
A known issue with that frame is the quality control on the fork. I luckily got one that supports bigger tires. I've run 25 on that fork and there's plenty of space for 32, possibly 35.
testertips is offline  
Old 01-05-23, 02:21 PM
  #15  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,189

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3691 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,373 Posts
Originally Posted by testertips View Post
A known issue with that frame is the quality control on the fork. I luckily got one that supports bigger tires. I've run 25 on that fork and there's plenty of space for 32, possibly 35.
In that case, you'll probably need to start by measuring the reach.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-05-23, 02:26 PM
  #16  
testertips
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
testertips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
In that case, you'll probably need to start by measuring the reach.
What you mean? I'm looking for recommendations on caliper brakes that support 32mm+ tires.
testertips is offline  
Old 01-05-23, 02:30 PM
  #17  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,189

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3691 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,373 Posts
Originally Posted by testertips View Post
What you mean? I'm looking for recommendations on caliper brakes that support 32mm+ tires.
I know, but the fact that the fork dimensions were not well-controlled means that it's up to you to know the distance between the brake mounting hole and the rim, because caliper brakes are sold with different amounts of reach.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/calipers.html#reach
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 01-05-23 at 03:58 PM.
ThermionicScott is offline  
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-05-23, 02:33 PM
  #18  
testertips
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
testertips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ah right.. thought you meant the other reach - up to 51mm should work. The discrepancy is with the fork width... it's like they used different sized crowns during manufacturing.

Last edited by testertips; 01-05-23 at 02:39 PM.
testertips is offline  
Likes For testertips:
Old 01-05-23, 05:19 PM
  #19  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,708
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6082 Post(s)
Liked 9,224 Times in 3,985 Posts
Originally Posted by testertips View Post
Ah right.. thought you meant the other reach - up to 51mm should work. The discrepancy is with the fork width... it's like they used different sized crowns during manufacturing.
Don't forget that your tire needs to clear not just the fork legs, but the front needs to fit under the fork crown. You need about as much clearance there as you need on each side of the tire.

What is the clearance in the rear triangle -- between the chain stays and between the seat stays?
Koyote is offline  
Old 01-05-23, 09:34 PM
  #20  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,761
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2977 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
This seems like nonsense. A technical and scientific looking chart with no explanation given for its underlying rationale. Yet anyone who had a nicer MTB the '90s have fat tires are super skinny rims, suggesting that these max tire limits are nonsense.

And the maximums are especially vexing as well. Does no one remember the A23 rim and what tires they were intended for?

As a general principle, matching your tires to your rims might make some sort of sense if you could demonstrate a problem in lateral instability with certain ratios. But let's see the testing.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-05-23, 11:07 PM
  #21  
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 920

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
This seems like nonsense. A technical and scientific looking chart with no explanation given for its underlying rationale. Yet anyone who had a nicer MTB the '90s have fat tires are super skinny rims, suggesting that these max tire limits are nonsense.

And the maximums are especially vexing as well. Does no one remember the A23 rim and what tires they were intended for?

As a general principle, matching your tires to your rims might make some sort of sense if you could demonstrate a problem in lateral instability with certain ratios. But let's see the testing.
^ Bike tires are bias ply tires.
You can get away with almost anything as far as width goes. As long as it fits your frame and fork.
SkinGriz is offline  
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 01-07-23, 07:05 PM
  #22  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 972

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Don't forget that your tire needs to clear not just the fork legs, but the front needs to fit under the fork crown. You need about as much clearance there as you need on each side of the tire.

What is the clearance in the rear triangle -- between the chain stays and between the seat stays?
This. A wider tire is usually a taller tire. I was putting together my recent ride to donate at the co-op, and the only matching cruiser wheels were for a 29er, so I ended up using some 32mm tires because they were just short enough to fit the cranbrook.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 01-09-23, 04:48 PM
  #23  
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 920

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
This. A wider tire is usually a taller tire. I was putting together my recent ride to donate at the co-op, and the only matching cruiser wheels were for a 29er, so I ended up using some 32mm tires because they were just short enough to fit the cranbrook.
I built a Jax Rhapsody inspired cruiser. Itís not finished, I will start a thread on the cruiser section for it.
SkinGriz is offline  
Old 01-09-23, 06:10 PM
  #24  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 972

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
I built a Jax Rhapsody inspired cruiser. Itís not finished, I will start a thread on the cruiser section for it.
I might be honored, sir.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.