Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why does a simple water bottle cost over $10 now?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why does a simple water bottle cost over $10 now?

Old 01-13-23, 02:10 PM
  #51  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,129

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
this sub forum has become the Road Cycling sub forum.
Spot on !!
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-13-23, 02:20 PM
  #52  
HelpSingularity 
Junior Member
 
HelpSingularity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: San Diego
Posts: 197

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728, 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post


This is my idea of the quintessential touring bike. Take note of his water bottles.
Be still my beating heart!
HelpSingularity is offline  
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 01-13-23, 03:49 PM
  #53  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,193

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 875 Posts
Here ya go.. and if you buy 3 you can get 1% off :-)

Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-13-23, 04:30 PM
  #54  
greatscott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 586

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 69 Posts
Two reasons, inflation thanks due to the financial policies of the last 4 administrations; and due to the fact that cycling products have been going up in price because it's a sport for people with extra money they have nothing else to spend it on, known as discretionary income.
greatscott is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 05:04 PM
  #55  
Chuck Naill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
Two reasons, inflation thanks due to the financial policies of the last 4 administrations; and due to the fact that cycling products have been going up in price because it's a sport for people with extra money they have nothing else to spend it on, known as discretionary income.
Just a review of your bikes, you seem to be doing just fine.....LOL!!
Chuck Naill is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 05:06 PM
  #56  
Chuck Naill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
How much does a rig like that weigh without the rider?
No idea. I used to have the persons touring blog site, but no more. He was everywhere.
Chuck Naill is offline  
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 01-13-23, 05:11 PM
  #57  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,498

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked 1,907 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post


This is my idea of the quintessential touring bike. Take note of his water bottles.
Take note of the zero setback seatpost, and the saddle slammed as far forward as it can go.

Not sure what's going on there.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

terrymorse is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 05:41 PM
  #58  
Chuck Naill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
Take note of the zero setback seatpost, and the saddle slammed as far forward as it can go.

Not sure what's going on there.
Short stature, short arms, preferred riding position... do you really need an explanation?
Chuck Naill is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 06:05 PM
  #59  
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Posts: 3,001

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
Take note of the zero setback seatpost, and the saddle slammed as far forward as it can go.

Not sure what's going on there.
Leave it to an engineer to miss the blatantly obvious. It's all about increasing cargo capacity. Granted an engineer could probably come up with a better solution to the problem.
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline  
Likes For Black wallnut:
Old 01-13-23, 06:17 PM
  #60  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 688

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Seriously. Most US households have Prime.

https://techjury.net/blog/amazon-prime-statistics/#gref.
What your limited experience makes you think makes up most, is very limited. I have never bought anything from Amazon and doubt I ever will. Iíve bought some things on the internet but I refuse to help that Bezos guy add any money to his hoard.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 06:37 PM
  #61  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,498

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked 1,907 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
Leave it to an engineer to miss the blatantly obvious. It's all about increasing cargo capacity. Granted an engineer could probably come up with a better solution to the problem.
To accommodate more cargo? Okay, I didn't think of that.

Forward slammed saddle usually suggests the bike is too big for the rider.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

terrymorse is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 06:54 PM
  #62  
Chuck Naill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
This is the guy that shows up at group rides and says your bike shorts are too tight. LOL!! Not that I have ever attended or intend to attend a group ride.
Chuck Naill is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 07:25 PM
  #63  
50PlusCycling
Senior Member
 
50PlusCycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaspider View Post
i just got back to the states form many depoyments in the USArmy...and to my shock a simple water bottle has gone up 100% from when i last bought one here.. in europe, they cost about $5/6 american

You canít add more than 40% to the money supply (as America did during the pandemic) and not expect prices to go up. And you cannot disrupt business and supply chain operations and not expect shortages, resulting in prices going up even more.

Thankfully, I am in Japan, which spent far less on relief than America, and which did not forcibly disrupt business and supply chain systems. Inflation in Japan has averaged around 2% since 2020, and there were no shortages or empty shelves. A water bottle today costs a little less than it did when I came to Japan some 15 years ago.

I canít give the Japanese government too much credit for what they did or didnít do, they didnít have many options. Japanís American-written constitution prevents Japanís government from closing businesses or locking down people short of military law. That meant no official mandates whatsoever applied to Japanese residents. And as Japan is already shouldering significant public debt, there was no option to spend vast amounts on pandemic relief. Such spending would have been pointless anyway, as long term inflation would have more than negated any short term benefit.

Japan suffered from double-digit inflation in the early 70ís. The solved the problem with what was later called ďausterityĒ in Europe. The BOJ froze the money supply, and public sector spending reined in. Eventually the private sector recovered and began generating value, but this took about 5 years.
50PlusCycling is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 07:35 PM
  #64  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 41,174

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10203 Post(s)
Liked 5,221 Times in 2,719 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
You can’t add more than 40% to the money supply (as America did during the pandemic) and not expect prices to go up. And you cannot disrupt business and supply chain operations and not expect shortages, resulting in prices going up even more.

Thankfully, I am in Japan, which spent far less on relief than America, and which did not forcibly disrupt business and supply chain systems. Inflation in Japan has averaged around 2% since 2020, and there were no shortages or empty shelves. A water bottle today costs a little less than it did when I came to Japan some 15 years ago..
Japan was pretty expensive pre-COVID, however. Pretty good chance the OP was in Germany which enjoyed a little double-digit inflation as of late, but seems to enjoy cheap water bottles still. But all-in-all your post probably belongs in P&R
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 01-13-23, 07:35 PM
  #65  
Chuck Naill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
FREE Water Bottle - 250 Points – Mike's Bikes (mikesbikes.com)
Chuck Naill is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 09:13 PM
  #66  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,702
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6077 Post(s)
Liked 9,211 Times in 3,981 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
What your limited experience makes you think makes up most, is very limited. I have never bought anything from Amazon and doubt I ever will. Iíve bought some things on the internet but I refuse to help that Bezos guy add any money to his hoard.
Your opinion does not supersede actual facts; try opening the link.
Koyote is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 09:31 PM
  #67  
Shadco 
Resident PIA
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 648

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaspider View Post
i just got back to the states form many depoyments in the USArmy...and to my shock a simple water bottle has gone up 100% from when i last bought one here.. in europe, they cost about $5/6 american
Have you priced eggs lately?

.
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Likes For Shadco:
Old 01-13-23, 09:39 PM
  #68  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
But it has everything to do with the number (or %) of households that can access the free shipping, which is what weíre talking about.
Correct. And at any given day the number of people with Prime is a much lower number because they are counting 1 week trials toward yearly totals.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 09:50 PM
  #69  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,702
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6077 Post(s)
Liked 9,211 Times in 3,981 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Correct. And at any given day the number of people with Prime is a much lower number because they are counting 1 week trials toward yearly totals.
Prove it.

Iíve provided a source. Youíve provided nothing but a claim.
Koyote is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 10:15 PM
  #70  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Prove it.

Iíve provided a source. Youíve provided nothing but a claim.
The article says exactly what I'm saying - that the number of subscribers at any one time is unknown and that there are short subscriptions. The only thing to debate is how great a number "much" is.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-13-23, 11:08 PM
  #71  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,586

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 5,193 Times in 2,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
The article says exactly what I'm saying - that the number of subscribers at any one time is unknown and that there are short subscriptions. The only thing to debate is how great a number "much" is.
It's irrelevant how many subscribers there are at any given time. If your household has Amazon Prime, buy some bottles. If your household doesn't have Amazon Prime, get the free one week trial and use it to buy some bottles. Same result.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-14-23, 12:02 AM
  #72  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
It's irrelevant how many subscribers there are at any given time. If your household has Amazon Prime, buy some bottles. If your household doesn't have Amazon Prime, get the free one week trial and use it to buy some bottles. Same result.
Or you can buy $25 worth of qualifying merchandise to earn free shipping at Amazon today!

But that isn't going to help if you lose a bottle and need a quick replacement from a bike shop. It will likely be over $10.

You could make up for that loss by buying your chains and tires in bulk, or rebuilding your Di2 batteries with new lithium cells. But all those things aren't very convenient. Grabbing a cheap bottle via free shipping also isn't very convenient.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 12:22 AM
  #73  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,586

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 5,193 Times in 2,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Or you can buy $25 worth of qualifying merchandise to earn free shipping at Amazon today!

But that isn't going to help if you lose a bottle and need a quick replacement from a bike shop. It will likely be over $10.
I could get bottles from Amazon for under $10 with next day free delivery. If that's not quick enough, I could walk into REI and buy a bottle for $7. The first LBS I checked also has them for $7, and the second has them for $8. With another 15-20 LBS within a 15 mile radius, there are likely several others that sell bottles for under $10.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 12:46 AM
  #74  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I could get bottles from Amazon for under $10 with next day free delivery. If that's not quick enough, I could walk into REI and buy a bottle for $7. The first LBS I checked also has them for $7, and the second has them for $8. With another 15-20 LBS within a 15 mile radius, there are likely several others that sell bottles for under $10.
I have enjoyed our interactions.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 04:39 AM
  #75  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 8,193

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco View Post
Have you priced eggs lately?

.
sure..

Sy Reene is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.