Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

actual cost to build a $14,000 bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

actual cost to build a $14,000 bike

Old 01-16-23, 07:13 PM
  #51  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
I can't wait till he finds out how cheap aluminum is and tells us that Ferrari engine should only cost $500.
He already knows what aluminum costs. But you don't seem to understand that your post referenced the cost of high grade carbon fiber. So I provided it to you.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 07:16 PM
  #52  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,793

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7803 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 4,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
He already knows what aluminum costs. But you don't seem to understand that your post referenced the cost of high grade carbon fiber. So I provided it to you.
Well, if you're right, then someone will simply replicate the Aethos and sell it for cheaper. That's how The Market works.

Unless you're wrong.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 07:23 PM
  #53  
skidder
Bipsycorider
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,637

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 659 Posts
Its the load-bearing decals. Highly engineered for strength and durability so the manufacturers can cut weight on frames and forks. A true breakthrough in bicycle design.
skidder is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 07:27 PM
  #54  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 426 Posts
What makes the op such a pro is his ability to resist the urge to feed the thread and let it run.
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-16-23, 07:28 PM
  #55  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,522

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 1,016 Posts
Armed with my little knowledge (somewhat outdated) of prices in the bike biz, I estimate that the manufacturer's cost of goods on a $14,000 SRP bike would be somewhere around $4500-$5000. And it would cost the dealer around $9200-$9800.

Don't ask me to show my work.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-16-23, 07:30 PM
  #56  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,470

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3555 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...one of my old friends from the Bike Kitchen just coughed up something like 12 or 13 thousand dollars for an electric assist bakfiets. I think maybe he bought it instead of an electric car. But he can claim it's quite different mechanically from those other bikes.
Ouch a bit much for one of those, I would have gotten this https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/load-75/ (or the Load 60) Bosch Motor, Full Suspension (so really comfortable in the city and probably on gravel as well though most of my riding has been city either taking customers or the daughter of our boss around) and really great components. Similar price point but super nice to ride

Or if I wanted full rigid I would go Urban Arrow which is also very Dutch and cheaper than 12k https://na.urbanarrow.com. I think even fully kitted out you can get it for under 10k and I am including keyed-a-like locks and all the cargo stuff. Maybe a little more with a dual battery.

The Bakfiets is a classic, sort of a vintage cargo bike like the Rivendell of the cargo world rim brakes, vintage aesthetic still neat but a little bit over priced for what it is. We have seen quite a few come through the shop though haven't seen their Shimano STePS version yet. I do like that blue color they show on the site though so I could see the attraction.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 07:36 PM
  #57  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Well, if you're right, then someone will simply replicate the Aethos and sell it for cheaper. That's how The Market works.

Unless you're wrong.
That is not what I said. I simply pointed out to you what the actual cost of high modulus fabric is. And it isn't that expensive.

However, many other companies make or have made Aethos-like bikes. The old R5Ca being an example.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 07:43 PM
  #58  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,793

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7803 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 4,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
That is not what I said. I simply pointed out to you what the actual cost of high modulus fabric is. And it isn't that expensive.

However, many other companies make or have made Aethos-like bikes. The old R5Ca being an example.
First, I'm not sure that "high modulus fabric" is what's used in the highest end Aethos. Second, do their frames weigh 585g and yet are rated for rider/cargo weights up to 300#?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 07:44 PM
  #59  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,596

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2998 Post(s)
Liked 5,208 Times in 2,116 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Well, if you're right, then someone will simply replicate the Aethos and sell it for cheaper. That's how The Market works.

Unless you're wrong.
Yep. If it only cost $1000 to manufacture a bike that sells for $14,000, there would be a stampede of investors looking to start companies to sell those bikes for $10,000 and steal a big chunk of the market.

Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
Armed with my little knowledge (somewhat outdated) of prices in the bike biz, I estimate that the manufacturer's cost of goods on a $14,000 SRP bike would be somewhere around $4500-$5000. And it would cost the dealer around $9200-$9800.
Most realistic estimate so far.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-16-23, 07:47 PM
  #60  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
First, I'm not sure that "high modulus fabric" is what's used in the highest end Aethos. Second, do their frames weigh 585g and yet are rated for rider/cargo weights up to 300#?
I didn't say what the Aethos is made of. YOU brought up high grade carbon fiber. What do you think high grade carbon fiber means?
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 07:54 PM
  #61  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,793

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7803 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 4,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
I didn't say what the Aethos is made of. YOU brought up high grade carbon fiber. What do you think high grade carbon fiber means?
As I understand it, there are all sorts of grades of CF. I've seen several videos showing layups where it looked like some of it was fabric, while some looked more like ribbons with the fibers all in the same orientation. Some of it is stronger or stiffer for the weight than others, some of it much more expensive than others. So, it's not like there are only two grades. I think there are also different resins.

But that's just materials. There's the complexity of the layup, then the actual molding, the finishing, etc. And that's all just the cost of producing a frame that's already designed and engineered. The people who designed it don't work for free, either. There's a lot more to bringing a product to market than just COGS.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 08:06 PM
  #62  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 22,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 6,177 Times in 3,115 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
As I understand it, there are all sorts of grades of CF. I've seen several videos showing layups where it looked like some of it was fabric, while some looked more like ribbons with the fibers all in the same orientation. Some of it is stronger or stiffer for the weight than others, some of it much more expensive than others. So, it's not like there are only two grades. I think there are also different resins.

But that's just materials. There's the complexity of the layup, then the actual molding, the finishing, etc. And that's all just the cost of producing a frame that's already designed and engineered. The people who designed it don't work for free, either. There's a lot more to bringing a product to market than just COGS.
I've read that the S-Works frames are made in Switzerland which would increase the labor costs over a production frame from Taiwan.
big john is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 08:09 PM
  #63  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
As I understand it, there are all sorts of grades of CF. I've seen several videos showing layups where it looked like some of it was fabric, while some looked more like ribbons with the fibers all in the same orientation. Some of it is stronger or stiffer for the weight than others, some of it much more expensive than others. So, it's not like there are only two grades. I think there are also different resins.

But that's just materials. There's the complexity of the layup, then the actual molding, the finishing, etc. And that's all just the cost of producing a frame that's already designed and engineered. The people who designed it don't work for free, either. There's a lot more to bringing a product to market than just COGS.
You can't both argue about how bikes are made and wonder how it is done at the same time.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 08:14 PM
  #64  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,596

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2998 Post(s)
Liked 5,208 Times in 2,116 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
As I understand it, there are all sorts of grades of CF. I've seen several videos showing layups where it looked like some of it was fabric, while some looked more like ribbons with the fibers all in the same orientation. Some of it is stronger or stiffer for the weight than others, some of it much more expensive than others. So, it's not like there are only two grades. I think there are also different resins.

But that's just materials. There's the complexity of the layup, then the actual molding, the finishing, etc. And that's all just the cost of producing a frame that's already designed and engineered. The people who designed it don't work for free, either. There's a lot more to bringing a product to market than just COGS.
Bike frames are kind of like cycling shorts. Cheap shorts are made from one fabric and are sewn together from a minimum number of panels. More expensive shorts use a few different fabrics, and consist of many panels with specific orientations of the fabric.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 08:16 PM
  #65  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,793

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7803 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 4,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
You can't both argue about how bikes are made and wonder how it is done at the same time.
You must be new here.

Also, what I have done is to note that it's more complex than simply "high modulus fabric" vs standard, as well as to point out there are different grades of other materials used in the production, not to mention fit and finish, and that design and engineering aren't free either, and this weak tea is all you've got?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 08:17 PM
  #66  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,793

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7803 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 4,314 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Bike frames are kind of like cycling shorts. Cheap shorts are made from one fabric and are sewn together from a minimum number of panels. More expensive shorts use a few different fabrics, and consist of many panels with specific orientations of the fabric.
Nonsense. You're clearly in the thrall of Big Shorts!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 08:20 PM
  #67  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,596

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2998 Post(s)
Liked 5,208 Times in 2,116 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Nonsense. You're clearly in the thrall of Big Shorts!
Busted.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 08:21 PM
  #68  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
You must be new here.

Also, what I have done is to note that it's more complex than simply "high modulus fabric" vs standard, as well as to point out there are different grades of other materials used in the production, not to mention fit and finish, and that design and engineering aren't free either, and this weak tea is all you've got?
No. I only offered to you one of the list of things your brought up - the carbon fiber itself. I made no claims that it was the only factor. You can't seem to understand that I'm restricting my comments on your initial post to the cost of the cloth.
Kontact is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 08:32 PM
  #69  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,793

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7803 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 4,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
No. I only offered to you one of the list of things your brought up - the carbon fiber itself. I made no claims that it was the only factor. You can't seem to understand that I'm restricting my comments on your initial post to the cost of the cloth.
Did I say it was the only factor in the price? If not then 1) do you even have a point? 2) Should we start a support group for people with a pathological need to have the last word? I'm thinking the problem would be the first meeting would never end.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 09:40 PM
  #70  
livedarklions
Knurled Nut
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,899

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7849 Post(s)
Liked 8,413 Times in 4,700 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Did I say it was the only factor in the price? If not then 1) do you even have a point? 2) Should we start a support group for people with a pathological need to have the last word? I'm thinking the problem would be the first meeting would never end.

​​​​​I can't believe that neither of you is mentioning the cost of the magic yak urine that must be used in the high end frames.

​​​​​​
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 09:44 PM
  #71  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,596

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2998 Post(s)
Liked 5,208 Times in 2,116 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
​​​​​I can't believe that neither of you is mentioning the cost of the magic yak urine that must be used in the high end frames.​​​​​​
I think someone in this thread has been drinking magic yak urine.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-16-23, 10:03 PM
  #72  
rsbob 
😵‍💫
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,687 Posts
The same question about the cost to build a $14000 bike can be applied to SUVs and newer quad cab 4X pickups. They are profit centers. They are definitely better, but the value is what the consumer is willing to spend and the feeling they get from it.

Porsche was on the verge of bankruptcy and folding up shop until they rolled out the Cayenne SUV which saved the company. The best selling Porsche these days is not the 911 but the Macan SUV. Yup, they are profit wonders. I could extrapolate that the same high end bikes also support the low-end bikes of the same manufacturer, but have no concrete evidence.
__________________
Road and Mountain 🚴🏾‍♂️



rsbob is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 10:04 PM
  #73  
livedarklions
Knurled Nut
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 14,899

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7849 Post(s)
Liked 8,413 Times in 4,700 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I think someone in this thread has been drinking magic yak urine.
This entire thread is yak urine and butt numbers.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-17-23, 10:04 AM
  #74  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 2,986

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked 1,367 Times in 863 Posts
Is $14,000 a lot? I guess it's relative.

In 1984, the Raleigh Olympic time trial bikes cast $25,000 each--or about $70,000 in today's dollars.
smd4 is offline  
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-17-23, 10:29 AM
  #75  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,596

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2998 Post(s)
Liked 5,208 Times in 2,116 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
The same question about the cost to build a $14000 bike can be applied to SUVs and newer quad cab 4X pickups. They are profit centers. They are definitely better, but the value is what the consumer is willing to spend and the feeling they get from it.

Porsche was on the verge of bankruptcy and folding up shop until they rolled out the Cayenne SUV which saved the company. The best selling Porsche these days is not the 911 but the Macan SUV. Yup, they are profit wonders. I could extrapolate that the same high end bikes also support the low-end bikes of the same manufacturer, but have no concrete evidence.
The problem with your Porsche analogy is that the Macan does not sit at the top of their lineup in pricing. Itís kind of like their low / mid price gravel bike.
tomato coupe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.