Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Old 09-11-23, 03:56 PM
  #101  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 6,904

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 6,806 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I am, and I do, but it would be hard to think of a less interesting experiment, except maybe testing different brands of tooth-paste.
It seems that Zero Friction Cycling has done that mind-numbing testing for us, and concluded that wax is good stuff for bike chains, for both efficiency and longevity.

Personally, I don't care much about variations in longevity. I'm lucky if I ride 5k miles per year, and that's shared among 5 different bikes (including trainer). I'm not burning through chains fast enough for me to give a damn about chain lifespan. For me, I like drip-wax because it's easy, clean, and data says I get an extra couple watts of zoomies when I use it.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 09-11-23, 04:06 PM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,653

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by lupo68288
Hello,
I'm currently thinking to wax my new bike (arroves in one month). Currently I only use Lube on all of my bikes, but I have heard, that waxing is better than lubing, because of the consumption of chains. It waxing really good or is it just a new trend and don't have any advantages? What are your experiences with waxing your chain and would you recommend it? And what chain wax do you use?
Its very popular right now, but waxing has been around for decades. There is no question that a good wax lubricant is the gold standard for chain lubrication. It will extend the life of your drivetrain and increase efficiency. The only question for an individual user is whether the process is worth their time and trouble, or whether you have some specific application that makes waxing impractical.

FWIW, Both my road bikes and my CX/Gravel bike all sport waxed chains, and I've seen the benefits.
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 04:14 PM
  #103  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 6,285

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Liked 2,718 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
For me, I like drip-wax because it's easy, clean, and data says I get an extra couple watts of zoomies when I use it.
Same for me, for the same reasons. I'm using Flower Power drip wax. I bought two bottles last year, still haven't used up the first one.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-11-23, 04:16 PM
  #104  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
i have to dispute this as well. Back when I used wax lubes, I was lucky to get 2-3K miles out of my chains. Now thst I use oil based lubes, I get 8-10K miles.
May I ask how/what you used, and how you applied it?

I had the 180į opposite experience, and it would be interesting to try to reconcile two sets of admittedly anecdotal observations.


Here are a few of my very anecdotal observations:

1. Using a new chain and completely removing the oil it is packaged in is fairly critical. If you don't get all of the oil off, the wax doesn't adhere.

2. If you use mineral spirits to clean off the oil, the more you can remove the mineral spirits, the longer the first waxing will last. (I found this out the hard way, because I reasoned that mineral spirits was similar to paraffin, so its presence shouldn't matter, but it did. It made the wax on the chain softer, and it didn't last very long.)

3. I just melt canning wax (paraffin) in a little crock pot, and dump the chain in, and swirl it around occasionally while it sits in there for about 30 min. Then I pull it out, hang it on a nail to cool off, and then put it on the bike. The new wax should make the chain stiff enough to thread through the front derailleur. I thread it through everything, and then put the quick-link on, and pedal it on the stand for a minute or two while I shift through all the gears, and it is ready to go. With no water on it, I usually change the chain after 200 to 300 miles. If I get fine moon-dust in it, and it starts to make noise, I change it at the end of the ride. I have 2 or 3 chains going at one time, so I don't have to melt wax that frequently.

4. I've found lubes like White Lightning to be worthless.

5. I've used Squirt, which is just a mixture of water, paraffin, and slack wax (a paraffin synthetic precursor). I've found it works ok, but has a tendency to ball up into snot-like clumps, which annoys me, so I only use it as a backup.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 04:21 PM
  #105  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 6,904

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 6,806 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've used Squirt, which is just a mixture of water, paraffin, and slack wax (a paraffin synthetic precursor). I've found it works ok, but has a tendency to ball up into snot-like clumps, which annoys me, so I only use it as a backup.
My experience with Silca Super Secret drip-wax is not at all like this.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 09-11-23, 04:24 PM
  #106  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 4,862

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I did. "Tests show blah, blah, blah". No, I have yet to hear from anybody here that they can get north of 10K miles using hot wax.
But thatís not what you said.

Goalpost, consider yourself moved.

Many people here have said their chains last longer using wax. So either you didnít read them, or youíre deliberately ignoring them.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 04:57 PM
  #107  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3559 Post(s)
Liked 3,838 Times in 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
i have to dispute this as well. Back when I used wax lubes, I was lucky to get 2-3K miles out of my chains. Now thst I use oil based lubes, I get 8-10K miles.
If you only managed 2-3k miles on wax then you did something wrong. But seems like oil based lubes work for you. I still have one road bike using an oil based lube, but it requires considerably more effort to keep the drivetrain clean. So Iím planning to switch it back to wax over winter. Chain wear has never been a big issue for me with either lube. But wax is definitely cleaner.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:16 PM
  #108  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
But thatís not what you said.

Goalpost, consider yourself moved.

Many people here have said their chains last longer using wax. So either you didnít read them, or youíre deliberately ignoring them.
Longer than what? Numbers please.
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:18 PM
  #109  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 4,862

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Longer than what? Numbers please.
Thatís ok. Forget it.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:19 PM
  #110  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
May I ask how/what you used, and how you applied it?

I had the 180į opposite experience, and it would be interesting to try to reconcile two sets of admittedly anecdotal observations.


Here are a few of my very anecdotal observations:

1. Using a new chain and completely removing the oil it is packaged in is fairly critical. If you don't get all of the oil off, the wax doesn't adhere.

2. If you use mineral spirits to clean off the oil, the more you can remove the mineral spirits, the longer the first waxing will last. (I found this out the hard way, because I reasoned that mineral spirits was similar to paraffin, so its presence shouldn't matter, but it did. It made the wax on the chain softer, and it didn't last very long.)

3. I just melt canning wax (paraffin) in a little crock pot, and dump the chain in, and swirl it around occasionally while it sits in there for about 30 min. Then I pull it out, hang it on a nail to cool off, and then put it on the bike. The new wax should make the chain stiff enough to thread through the front derailleur. I thread it through everything, and then put the quick-link on, and pedal it on the stand for a minute or two while I shift through all the gears, and it is ready to go. With no water on it, I usually change the chain after 200 to 300 miles. If I get fine moon-dust in it, and it starts to make noise, I change it at the end of the ride. I have 2 or 3 chains going at one time, so I don't have to melt wax that frequently.

4. I've found lubes like White Lightning to be worthless.

5. I've used Squirt, which is just a mixture of water, paraffin, and slack wax (a paraffin synthetic precursor). I've found it works ok, but has a tendency to ball up into snot-like clumps, which annoys me, so I only use it as a backup.
If you look back at my post you replied to, you will see it was a reply to a poster who claimed he got better longevity using drip wax. You are talking about hot wax.
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:19 PM
  #111  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Thatís ok. Forget it.
No numbers? Hmmmm.
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:22 PM
  #112  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-11-23, 05:24 PM
  #113  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
More like gaslighting on your part.
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:28 PM
  #114  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 4,862

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
No numbers? Hmmmm.
Let's get the goal post back to where it started, shall we?

YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR NUMBERS WHEN YOU WROTE THIS:

Originally Posted by Lombard
I have yet to see any hot waxers claim longer chain life.
So either you haven't read the posts here that are claiming a longer chain life, or you've deliberately ignored them. I'm going with the latter. Neither one is a good look for you.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:33 PM
  #115  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Let's get the goal post back to where it started, shall we?

YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR NUMBERS WHEN YOU WROTE THIS:



So either you haven't read the posts here that are claiming a longer chain life, or you've deliberately ignored them. I'm going with the latter. Neither one is a good look for you.
Vague claims need to be followed up on. It's not moving goal posts. Is it really difficult to answer how many miles you get out of a chain?
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:35 PM
  #116  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
> 5,000 miles on (hot) waxed chains

vs

< 1,500 using conventional chain lubes
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:36 PM
  #117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 4,862

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
> 5,000 miles on (hot) waxed chains

vs

< 1,500 using conventional chain lubes
Heíll ignore that.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:38 PM
  #118  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and have described what I do in detail, as well as the limitations I have observed.

How on earth can you interpret that as "gas-lighting"? Do you know what the term means?
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:38 PM
  #119  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 4,862

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Vague claims need to be followed up on.
Youíre the one making the claim about never seeing anyone claim longer chain life. Pointing out people who make the claim seems, well, pointless.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:42 PM
  #120  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 6,904

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 6,806 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Vague claims need to be followed up on. It's not moving goal posts. Is it really difficult to answer how many miles you get out of a chain?
You may be in the habit of logging your chain mileage, but I'd bet a reasonable amount of money that most people do not keep track very closely at all. Also, the variations in riding conditions between one rider and the next make those kinds of comparisons fairly useless. You say you get more mileage out of an oil-based lube compared to the wax-based lube you used years ago. Polaris says he is getting more miles from his waxed chain. Both of these can be 100% accurate. IMO, the best way to make a true comparison between lube performance is in a controlled environment, such as what ZFC has done. ZFC's results are pretty clear. No relocation of goalposts required.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 09-11-23, 05:45 PM
  #121  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You may be in the habit of logging your chain mileage, but I'd bet a reasonable amount of money that most people do not keep track very closely at all. Also, the variations in riding conditions between one rider and the next make those kinds of comparisons fairly useless. You say you get more mileage out of an oil-based lube compared to the wax-based lube you used years ago. Polaris says he is getting more miles from his waxed chain. Both of these can be 100% accurate. IMO, the best way to make a true comparison between lube performance is in a controlled environment, such as what ZFC has done. ZFC's results are pretty clear. No relocation of goalposts required.
Granted what you are saying about riding consitions ia true.

However, if you aren't logging your mileage, how do you know chain lube method A lasts longer than chain lube method B?
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:46 PM
  #122  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
> 5,000 miles on (hot) waxed chains

vs

< 1,500 using conventional chain lubes
Very good! Now that wasn't so difficult, was it?
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 05:53 PM
  #123  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Very good! Now that wasn't so difficult, was it?
I've said it several times previously, and have provided exhaustive detail, including pros and cons, of the procedure I have used.

You, on the other hand, have provided only one sentence snippy dismissals and a false accusation of "gas-lighting."

Is it really that difficult for you?

Much more importantly, I haven't had to replace a cassette or chainring since I started waxing.

The "> 5K" is a lower-bound estimate, btw, because I run at least two chains in rotation, and I last replaced the chains when I got a second wheel-set and a new cassette as a conservative and probably needless precaution. (At that time I also purchased a replacement for the cassette for wheel-set #1, but it turned out there was no evidence that I needed it.)
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 06:33 PM
  #124  
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've said it several times previously, and have provided exhaustive detail, including pros and cons, of the procedure I have used.

You, on the other hand, have provided only one sentence snippy dismissals and a false accusation of "gas-lighting."

Is it really that difficult for you?

Much more importantly, I haven't had to replace a cassette or chainring since I started waxing.

The "> 5K" is a lower-bound estimate, btw, because I run at least two chains in rotation, and I last replaced the chains when I got a second wheel-set and a new cassette as a conservative and probably needless precaution. (At that time I also purchased a replacement for the cassette for wheel-set #1, but it turned out there was no evidence that I needed it.)
If you mentioned the numbers before, I missed that. So my bad on that.
Lombard is offline  
Old 09-11-23, 06:53 PM
  #125  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 4,862

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
If you mentioned the numbers before, I missed that.
Just like you missed all the posts where people said they got longer chain life using hot wax!!
smd4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.