Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you have any weird riding habits?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you have any weird riding habits?

Old 09-16-23, 05:46 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Just one. All my rides the past few years have started and ended at home.
Thinking of breaking this habit soon but I hate wasting riding time by driving to a starting spot.
I would have far fewer options, particularly of longer routes, if I didn't occasionally travel for my rides. I don't live in Vegas, but fairly close by, so any time I travel in, I try to take a bike and plan some extra time for a ride with some variety.
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
If this counts, I usually make a rolling mount onto the bike when starting out.

I'll put left foot on the pedal at about 10:00, push off with right foot and the left's downstroke, then throw my right leg over the saddle.
I do the same thing almost every time I mount.
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Same. I say "Hi" to geese, magpies, turkeys, quail, the occasional deer, definitely cows.

In part it's practical--startling geese can lead to them taking off in a panic and I had one actually brush my face with a wing when passing in front of me. Do not want to collide with a multi-pound bird.
I don't really see a lot of wild life (or domestic for that matter) on my rides. But when traveling, whenever I see cows, I call them "moo-cows". Just something I've done since I was little.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Maybe if they got out of their car and could somehow block the three other lanes they'd be doing me a favor. Otherwise, they are just creating a dangerous situation. And pissing off all the other drivers that us cyclist need to be coddled and not follow the right of way laws. If I'm not in the crossing already, there is no obligation for the other vehicles to stop.

Usually it's the last car in a group of cars that does this. I'm already stopped and if they'd just kept going, then I'd get to go in the gap between them and the cars in the next group. Sometimes the vehicle that stops is of a size that I can't safely see the other traffic that might be coming in the other lanes.

Denver area has some special laws for such, but I've not familiarized myself with them as I probably should since I do ride there when I visit my son. But most everywhere else the laws are written in a way that vehicular traffic on the road just needs to slow down and be aware of cyclists that feel entitled to burst through the crossing with total disregard for traffic on the more major road.
I agree with you on this matter. And it's not just while on the bike. I often get the same thing when driving. The rules are written for a reason. I don't get upset if someone goes before me when they're following the rules. But sometimes this "courtesy" just effs up the expectations and flow of traffic.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 09-16-23, 06:05 PM
  #77  
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Maybe if they got out of their car and could somehow block the three other lanes they'd be doing me a favor. Otherwise, they are just creating a dangerous situation.
In crash typing, this situation is called "multiple threat", where the traffic in one or more lanes stops, the crossing road user proceeds, and is struck by traffic still moving in the lane or lanes that didn't stop. And what's worse is that the view of the crosser is usually blocked by the traffic in the stopped lanes, so the crosser "suddenly appears" in front of the traffic in the still-moving lanes. It's often a high-severity or fatal crash, and almost killed an acquaintance of mine a number of years ago.

If you've seen signs and markings in advance of crosswalks that say "Yield (Stop) Here for Pedestrians" placed 50 or more feet upstream of that crosswalk, that's to address the sightline problem with the crossing movement. Where traffic stops that far in advance, the crosser is visible to all lanes much farther in advance.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html
RCMoeur is offline  
Old 09-16-23, 06:08 PM
  #78  
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I don't really see a lot of wild life (or domestic for that matter) on my rides. But when traveling, whenever I see cows, I call them "moo-cows". Just something I've done since I was little.
I will admit some of our motor vehicles have a high-wattage PA system and horn - I find it useful in certain situations. Especially where we see herds of cows alongside the highway and "mooooooo" our greetings to them. The change in pitch of our sound as it passes the cattle is of course called the "Moopler Effect".

Still haven't figured out how to adapt such a system to the bicycle without excess weight or feedback.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html
RCMoeur is offline  
Old 09-16-23, 11:28 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I will admit some of our motor vehicles have a high-wattage PA system and horn - I find it useful in certain situations. Especially where we see herds of cows alongside the highway and "mooooooo" our greetings to them. The change in pitch of our sound as it passes the cattle is of course called the "Moopler Effect".

Still haven't figured out how to adapt such a system to the bicycle without excess weight or feedback.
Not sure about where you are but here in rural Nevada, there are huge swaths of land that are truly "open range". Earlier this year, my mom and I did a graduation tour through the southern part of Nevada. Just outside of Rachel, Nevada ("The Extraterrestrial Highway"), there were miles upon miles of road with cattle almost within arm's distance of the shoulder. Fortunately, we didn't see any cattle actually on the roadway, but with a ton of skittish pot roast just moseying around, it kept us on our toes.
VegasJen is offline  
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 09-17-23, 06:22 AM
  #80  
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
I wonít ride over cracks.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 07:06 AM
  #81  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,342

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
Liked 5,818 Times in 2,996 Posts
I have always preferred even numbers. When on a ride 20 miles or greater, I will ride an extra mile or two to bring the total to 30, 40, 50 etc. And when riding the trainer, I shoot for an hour or another even number of miles (whichever is closer to my goal for the day).
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-17-23, 07:24 AM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I wonít ride over cracks.
You would not enjoy the wooden pier ride from the ferry on the Isle of Wight. 1km of boards, and between the gaps you can see the water below. I think they may have re-boarded the entire thing recently though, some of those gaps (and they're parallel to the direction of travel) used to look about 25mm wide and it freaked me out. This year it didn't seem so bad.
choddo is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 07:39 AM
  #83  
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
You would not enjoy the wooden pier ride from the ferry on the Isle of Wight. 1km of boards, and between the gaps you can see the water below. I think they may have re-boarded the entire thing recently though, some of those gaps (and they're parallel to the direction of travel) used to look about 25mm wide and it freaked me out. This year it didn't seem so bad.
Sorry, I mean sidewalk cracks. Bad for momís back.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 08:54 AM
  #84  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have always preferred even numbers. When on a ride 20 miles or greater, I will ride an extra mile or two to bring the total to 30, 40, 50 etc. And when riding the trainer, I shoot for an hour or another even number of miles (whichever is closer to my goal for the day).
I'm kind of the same way. Maybe not to that extent, but I do prefer even numbers.

And on that same note, when listening to the radio in my car, I don't like prime numbers on my volume. So the radios that have a digital value for volume control, I won't stop at 13 or 17 or 23. Just weird I guess.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 09:03 AM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,504

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have always preferred even numbers. When on a ride 20 miles or greater, I will ride an extra mile or two to bring the total to 30, 40, 50 etc. And when riding the trainer, I shoot for an hour or another even number of miles (whichever is closer to my goal for the day).
Normalish rides, I try to keep it a whole number, & if I can easily net that additional distance to make it an evensteven whole digit, I'll go for it.
after a certain distance, idgaf & want to have my legs massaged.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 11:51 AM
  #86  
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have always preferred even numbers.
One of our kids prefers prime numbers. He even ran a calculation for fun looking for a new, large Mersenne prime, which of course didnít work. Another one of our kids avoids primes and likes perfect squares (of even numbers ) best.

These days I may be weird in that I donít use a cycle computer or phone to watch my mileage, speed or power. I do get a post mortem on HR and time from my FitBit, which basically functions as a watch while I ride.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 12:00 PM
  #87  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 454

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 150 Posts
While riding a narrower path, my bike often sways towards the oncoming biker or pedestrian. Happened today as well.
XxHaimBondxX is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 06:32 PM
  #88  
Retro on steroids
 
Repack Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Marin County, California
Posts: 543

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 137 Posts
I start my mountain bike ride by picking up a small rock. I leave it at the highest point of the ride, to help build up the mountain I am wearing down.
Repack Rider is offline  
Old 09-17-23, 06:43 PM
  #89  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,044

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Just one. All my rides the past few years have started and ended at home.
Thinking of breaking this habit soon but I hate wasting riding time by driving to a starting spot.
I have to agree, unless Iím traveling for other reasons and bring a bike, I avoid like the plague the ďdrive your bike somewhere to ride itĒ thing. Iíve never done it anywhere within riding distance, say <50 miles away. I do sometimes expand the riding range by getting on a train or ferry with the bike mid ride.
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-17-23, 08:07 PM
  #90  
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
I start my mountain bike ride by picking up a small rock. I leave it at the highest point of the ride, to help build up the mountain I am wearing down.
Nothing weird about that at all. In fact, it's a tradition at the annual Turkey Day Ride (** TurkeyDayRide **) that the riders pick up a rock at the bottom of South Mountain and bring it to the top. We've been doing that for 40 years and that mountain is (probably) just as tall as it was when we started that ride.

Although I've been doing the ride for decades, I hold no speed or climbing records, but I think my unofficial record of carrying 75 lbs of rocks to the top in the late 1980s will stand for a while.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html
RCMoeur is offline  
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-17-23, 09:16 PM
  #91  
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Not sure about where you are but here in rural Nevada, there are huge swaths of land that are truly "open range". Earlier this year, my mom and I did a graduation tour through the southern part of Nevada. Just outside of Rachel, Nevada ("The Extraterrestrial Highway"), there were miles upon miles of road with cattle almost within arm's distance of the shoulder. Fortunately, we didn't see any cattle actually on the roadway, but with a ton of skittish pot roast just moseying around, it kept us on our toes.
Here in the state down and to the right, there is also a lot of rangeland with all sorts of hoofed four-footers deciding to hang out by, and sometimes on, the highway. And in far northwest Nevada, in June we encountered some moving moos on the road between Gerlach and Cedarville.

On our Big 2004 Road Trip, we spent an evening in the "motel" (a couple mobile homes on blocks) at the Little Ale'Inn in Rachel. After a very windy evening where the room rocked most of the night, at sunrise it was dead still, and it was the quietest place I've ever been in my life. Nothing stirring for miles as the rising sun bathed the mountains in pinkish-red light.



Not a vehicle in sight for 20+ miles - but I didn't bring the bike on that trip. Would've been a great ride to start a busy day.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html
RCMoeur is offline  
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-19-23, 08:11 AM
  #92  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Here in the state down and to the right, there is also a lot of rangeland with all sorts of hoofed four-footers deciding to hang out by, and sometimes on, the highway. And in far northwest Nevada, in June we encountered some moving moos on the road between Gerlach and Cedarville.

On our Big 2004 Road Trip, we spent an evening in the "motel" (a couple mobile homes on blocks) at the Little Ale'Inn in Rachel. After a very windy evening where the room rocked most of the night, at sunrise it was dead still, and it was the quietest place I've ever been in my life. Nothing stirring for miles as the rising sun bathed the mountains in pinkish-red light.



Not a vehicle in sight for 20+ miles - but I didn't bring the bike on that trip. Would've been a great ride to start a busy day.
It is bizarre how many miles of arrow-straight road we have here in Nevada. That picture could be any number of places in the state. Just miles and miles.
VegasJen is offline  
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 09-19-23, 08:44 AM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 8,951

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Nothing weird about that at all. In fact, it's a tradition at the annual Turkey Day Ride (** TurkeyDayRide **) that the riders pick up a rock at the bottom of South Mountain and bring it to the top. We've been doing that for 40 years and that mountain is (probably) just as tall as it was when we started that ride.

Although I've been doing the ride for decades, I hold no speed or climbing records, but I think my unofficial record of carrying 75 lbs of rocks to the top in the late 1980s will stand for a while.
Hope I don't get called a racist for quoting an Indiana Jones movie, but...

He no crazy. He nuts!
pdlamb is offline  
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-19-23, 08:46 AM
  #94  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
It is bizarre how many miles of arrow-straight road we have here in Nevada. That picture could be any number of places in the state. Just miles and miles.
The Romans would be proud

Fantastic photo.
choddo is offline  
Likes For choddo:
Old 09-19-23, 03:13 PM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
Bill in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 727

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejohn
As far back as I can remember, I've always had downtube shifters - recently decided to put a set of thumbies on a flat bar touring bike by way of a change.
Do you think I can stop reaching down for a non-existent lever every time I want to change gear? Must look pretty odd to the casual observer.
I do the same. With my first set of clipless pedals a guy ran a stop sign and and I braked hard and could not release and tipped over. VERY embarrassing, yes, but my wife said I was reaching to loosen the toeclip strap until I was down on the ground still clipped in.
Bill in VA is offline  
Old 09-19-23, 07:27 PM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: North Florida
Posts: 520

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 379 Times in 198 Posts
I usually weigh myself before and after my ride. It helps me realize how dehydrated I get, even though I'm drinking, and not thirsty. On a typical summer ride I'll lose about 2 pounds. I've lost as much as four. Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon, so four pounds is half a gallon. The weather's cooling. Today I only lost one pound.
Random11 is offline  
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-20-23, 06:29 AM
  #97  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 6,342

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
Liked 5,818 Times in 2,996 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejohn
As far back as I can remember, I've always had downtube shifters - recently decided to put a set of thumbies on a flat bar touring bike by way of a change.
Do you think I can stop reaching down for a non-existent lever every time I want to change gear? Must look pretty odd to the casual observer.
I ride a modern bike Spring/Summer/Fall and a vintage over the winter (with fenders) with downtube shifters. Am amazed when I switch after the seasons is done that I consistently reach for the wrong place for the first week. Am sure it looks pretty weird.

then there is my Campy brifters vs Shimano brifters which work exactly opposite. When I want to downshift I upshift and vice versa. Must be a Campy plot 😄
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-20-23, 10:03 AM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,455
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18504 Post(s)
Liked 15,817 Times in 7,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I do the same. With my first set of clipless pedals a guy ran a stop sign and and I braked hard and could not release and tipped over. VERY embarrassing, yes, but my wife said I was reaching to loosen the toeclip strap until I was down on the ground still clipped in.
Muscle memory. Like when a cashier hands me a receipt 5 seconds after I have said I donít need one.

If Iíve been riding my touring bike with bar ends for a while and then get on my road bike with brifters , I will usually reach down to the bar ends to shift. Works in reverse as well.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-20-23, 10:40 AM
  #99  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: California's capital
Posts: 494

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I ride a modern bike Spring/Summer/Fall and a vintage over the winter (with fenders) with downtube shifters. Am amazed when I switch after the seasons is done that I consistently reach for the wrong place for the first week. Am sure it looks pretty weird.

then there is my Campy brifters vs Shimano brifters which work exactly opposite. When I want to downshift I upshift and vice versa. Must be a Campy plot 😄
Have been getting acquainted with my newest bike, one with also my first e-shifting--a 1X12 that upshifts on the right and down, on the left. Put in quite a few consecutive rides.

Then last weekend I rode a different bike, a 1X12 with up and down both housed on the right. Sure enough, first time I downshifted I instead hit the riser post release and BAM, dropped the seat to the stop, hard, and ruined my day in a profound manner.
Rick_D is offline  
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 09-20-23, 10:51 AM
  #100  
Thread derailleur
 
roadcrankr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 668

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 274 Posts
I go to great lengths to keep my feet clipped-in for the entire ride, sometimes managing to accomplish this on fifty-milers.
This entails trackstands, hanging onto light standards, looping around intersections, etc.
As a big benefit, it extends the life of my cleats and pedals. lol
I practice other weird habits, but nobody wants to see a book here.
roadcrankr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.