Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weight loss and riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight loss and riding

Old 11-14-23, 07:02 PM
  #1  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Weight loss and riding

I rode today after a sorta layoff of a few months.
I am 65 and overweight. I found all kinds of reasons to not ride- mainly because it just easnít fun.
Since February 1st I have lost 75 pounds. I was 305 and am now 227. I plan to lose at least another 30-40.
Today while riding I noticed my bike was easier to pedal and I wasnít worn out after 5 miles like I was. I am going to have to get it in my head that my body has changed.
I even rode in the drops a little. I couldnít before due to my gut being in the way.
I may have to readjust my bike to how I am now.
Just wanted to brag a little. I felt really good after only 5 miles. I will do more tomorrow.
I just realized that my hands didnít go numb either.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 11-14-23 at 07:07 PM.
pepperbelly is online now  
Old 11-14-23, 07:04 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 334 Posts
Good stuff man
LarrySellerz is offline  
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-14-23, 07:49 PM
  #3  
Lopsided biped
 
rollagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 735

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Good on ya!
rollagain is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 08:22 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
frdfandc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cecil County, Maryland
Posts: 154

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Good stuff. Yes, it's easier to ride a bike when you're 75lbs lighter. I did the same thing. Lost 65 lbs.
frdfandc is offline  
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-14-23, 08:27 PM
  #5  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by frdfandc
Good stuff. Yes, it's easier to ride a bike when you're 75lbs lighter. I did the same thing. Lost 65 lbs.
I noticed I was faster in the drops. I have no idea why.
pepperbelly is online now  
Old 11-14-23, 10:50 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
frdfandc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cecil County, Maryland
Posts: 154

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I noticed I was faster in the drops. I have no idea why.
Probably because you can get in the drops more comfortably now.
frdfandc is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 11:11 PM
  #7  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by frdfandc
Probably because you can get in the drops more comfortably now.
Is riding in the drops faster?
pepperbelly is online now  
Old 11-15-23, 01:15 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Arizona
Posts: 141

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Is riding in the drops faster?
Can be. Depends on what you are doing, but you are more aerodynamic when in the drops, so if you are going downhill, or are hitting it on a flat, the drops are faster.

I usually go into the drops when I intend to go faster primarily because it is more stable at higher speeds. Being in the drops being more stable makes going faster feel better, feel faster, and cuts the wind better, soÖ there are a lot of reasons.
David_Harris is offline  
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 11-15-23, 02:40 AM
  #9  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good job mate! Keep going!
CookieCycler19 is offline  
Likes For CookieCycler19:
Old 11-15-23, 03:19 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: E. Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 118

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I rode today after a sorta layoff of a few months.
I am 65 and overweight. I found all kinds of reasons to not ride- mainly because it just easnít fun.
Since February 1st I have lost 75 pounds. I was 305 and am now 227. I plan to lose at least another 30-40.
Today while riding I noticed my bike was easier to pedal and I wasnít worn out after 5 miles like I was. I am going to have to get it in my head that my body has changed.
I even rode in the drops a little. I couldnít before due to my gut being in the way.
I may have to readjust my bike to how I am now.
Just wanted to brag a little. I felt really good after only 5 miles. I will do more tomorrow.
I just realized that my hands didnít go numb either.
great work!
ACHiPo is offline  
Likes For ACHiPo:
Old 11-15-23, 11:09 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 1,269

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 404 Posts
Your bike will help you keep it off. Job is never done.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 11:22 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,838
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18223 Post(s)
Liked 15,010 Times in 7,104 Posts
I can relate. Many moons ago, while in college, I lost 90 in 9 months thanks to diet change (not dieting) and riding.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-23, 12:32 PM
  #13  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I can relate. Many moons ago, while in college, I lost 90 in 9 months thanks to diet change (not dieting) and riding.
What I am doing is also more diet change. I cut out any processed sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. basically I eliminated as many carbs as possible.
i found a keto friendly bread. Sola has 1 net card and has the taste and texture of regular wheat bread.
Iím not suffering or craving any of the crap I gave up. I will cheat now and then- Texas Roadhouse rolls are really good. I ate one 3 weeks ago and felt guilty after but dang it was good. That was the first regular bread since January.
This will be easy to maintain after I hit my goal weight.
pepperbelly is online now  
Old 11-15-23, 12:43 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
grumpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Is riding in the drops faster?
It reduces your frontal area and thus aerodynamic drag, so it's useful if you're riding into a headwind, riding fast on the flat or coasting downhill. It also allows you to brake harder, as it lowers your centre of mass so you're less likely to go over the handlebar.
grumpus is offline  
Likes For grumpus:
Old 11-15-23, 01:38 PM
  #15  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 374

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 115 Posts
I'd probably die first before I give up my wife's home fried potatoes. Everything else is fine.
XxHaimBondxX is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 01:56 PM
  #16  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
It reduces your frontal area and thus aerodynamic drag, so it's useful if you're riding into a headwind, riding fast on the flat or coasting downhill. It also allows you to brake harder, as it lowers your centre of mass so you're less likely to go over the handlebar.
I first noticed it on an indoor bike at the gym. The only thing I changed was my hand position from a mostly upright position to almost laying on the aero pads. After a few seconds to settle in I saw my speed was up.
pepperbelly is online now  
Old 11-15-23, 02:00 PM
  #17  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
I'd probably die first before I give up my wife's home fried potatoes. Everything else is fine.
No potatoes. Nothing breaded and fried. Flour has carbs, potatoes have a lot of carbs.
I eat Mission carb balance tortillas that are 4 net carbs each. I even bake my own chips from them.
I bought an air fryer and use it for chicken breast and nuggets.
I really donít miss what I used to eat.
pepperbelly is online now  
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-15-23, 03:18 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
frdfandc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cecil County, Maryland
Posts: 154

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
No potatoes. Nothing breaded and fried. Flour has carbs, potatoes have a lot of carbs.
I eat Mission carb balance tortillas that are 4 net carbs each. I even bake my own chips from them.
I bought an air fryer and use it for chicken breast and nuggets.
I really donít miss what I used to eat.
I went low carb. No sugar other than carbs. No alcohol. Everything in moderation with smaller meal sizes with lots of physical activity at work and at home. Dropped 85 lbs down from 232. I plateaued at 200. Went to intermittent fasting. Lost the remaining weight. Then I put on another 15 lbs in weight between muscle and some fat. I was too skinny at 155. Feel 10000000% better at 170-175 lbs now.
frdfandc is offline  
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-15-23, 04:56 PM
  #19  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by frdfandc
I went low carb. No sugar other than carbs. No alcohol. Everything in moderation with smaller meal sizes with lots of physical activity at work and at home. Dropped 85 lbs down from 232. I plateaued at 200. Went to intermittent fasting. Lost the remaining weight. Then I put on another 15 lbs in weight between muscle and some fat. I was too skinny at 155. Feel 10000000% better at 170-175 lbs now.
I try to keep under 20 carbs. I also do intermittent fasting.
I am 65 now. I was an athlete in high school. Graduated with very little body fat. Then started drinking beer like they were going to stop brewing it and eating everything I saw. I was 205 at 18. By 20 I was 265. I dropped down to around 235 working in public works. I retired after 20 years with the city in 2020. By January of this year I was up to 305 and was thoroughly disgusted with myself so I started low carb. I got down to 230 a month ago and have been around 227-228 for a few weeks. My first goal is 200. My ultimate goal is 165-175.
My body just doesnít respond like it used to. In the mid Ď80s I was 275 and decided to lose it. In a month and a half I was at 210 by eating once per day-a salad from a salad bar. Sometimes I got busy and didnít eat. I just canít lose it like that now.
pepperbelly is online now  
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-15-23, 06:18 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 275 Posts
Good for you!
What you did was priceless. No amount of money could buy you a bike 75 lbs. lighter than what you are riding, no wonder it feels easier.
Pratt is offline  
Likes For Pratt:
Old 11-15-23, 06:50 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
grumpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I first noticed it on an indoor bike at the gym. The only thing I changed was my hand position from a mostly upright position to almost laying on the aero pads. After a few seconds to settle in I saw my speed was up.
When you lean forward and brace against the handlebar you can probably put more force into the pedals - sitting upright you're mostly just relying on gravity to push them down.
grumpus is offline  
Likes For grumpus:
Old 11-15-23, 08:32 PM
  #22  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Albuquerque NM USA
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
No potatoes. Nothing breaded and fried. Flour has carbs, potatoes have a lot of carbs.
I eat Mission carb balance tortillas that are 4 net carbs each. I even bake my own chips from them.
I bought an air fryer and use it for chicken breast and nuggets.
I really donít miss what I used to eat.
Wife and I use those same low carb torts. But we haven't tried making chips with them. Have to give that a try.

We are also big fans of the Ole Xtreme Wellness Spinach & Herbs Tortilla Wraps. We're not low carb or keto dieters. Just doing Weight Watchers and the less processed the better. And that generally results in much lower carbs. I'm not even sure how low carb these Ole wraps are, but my mega keto diet son-in-law eats them. So, they must be relatively low carb.

To the OP. Good job on the weight loss and diet adjustment. And of course the bike riding. I agree, once you stop eating all the junk, you just don't want or at least crave it anymore.

As for speed. as mentioned smaller is more aero. But also your rolling resistance is directly proportional to your total weight (you and the bike). You could easily be using 50 to 100 W of power on rolling resistance depending on your tires and of course speed. Good road tires can bring that down to a 3rd that. Your weight loss may have dropped it about 25% or so. So, there are reasons you would need less power and effort to go the same speed. And I'm sure you're getting fitter on the bike as well.

Looks like you have the exercise and diet headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work!
Mtracer is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 08:50 PM
  #23  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Wife and I use those same low carb torts. But we haven't tried making chips with them. Have to give that a try.

We are also big fans of the Ole Xtreme Wellness Spinach & Herbs Tortilla Wraps. We're not low carb or keto dieters. Just doing Weight Watchers and the less processed the better. And that generally results in much lower carbs. I'm not even sure how low carb these Ole wraps are, but my mega keto diet son-in-law eats them. So, they must be relatively low carb.

To the OP. Good job on the weight loss and diet adjustment. And of course the bike riding. I agree, once you stop eating all the junk, you just don't want or at least crave it anymore.

As for speed. as mentioned smaller is more aero. But also your rolling resistance is directly proportional to your total weight (you and the bike). You could easily be using 50 to 100 W of power on rolling resistance depending on your tires and of course speed. Good road tires can bring that down to a 3rd that. Your weight loss may have dropped it about 25% or so. So, there are reasons you would need less power and effort to go the same speed. And I'm sure you're getting fitter on the bike as well.

Looks like you have the exercise and diet headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work!
I take 5 Mission Carb Balance tortillas and cut them into triangles on a cutting board with a pizza cutter. I put parchment paper on a couple of cookie sheets while my gas oven preheats to 350*. I spray tje triangles with an avocado oil spray and sprinkle kosher salt on them. A lot of that wonít stick. I put them in the oven and bake at 350 for 16 minutes.
Add salsa or rotel queso or guacamole and itíscall good and still healthy- if you can believe that.
pepperbelly is online now  
Old 11-15-23, 10:50 PM
  #24  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Albuquerque NM USA
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I take 5 Mission Carb Balance tortillas and cut them into triangles on a cutting board with a pizza cutter. I put parchment paper on a couple of cookie sheets while my gas oven preheats to 350*. I spray tje triangles with an avocado oil spray and sprinkle kosher salt on them. A lot of that wonít stick. I put them in the oven and bake at 350 for 16 minutes.
Add salsa or rotel queso or guacamole and itíscall good and still healthy- if you can believe that.
Great! Thanks for the recipe.
Mtracer is offline  
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 11-15-23, 10:57 PM
  #25  
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 703

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Great! Thanks for the recipe.
They are actually pretty good. They arenít Tostitos but they are good.
pepperbelly is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.