Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How are the Ebikes and Bikes Lanes in your city?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How are the Ebikes and Bikes Lanes in your city?

Old 11-28-23, 02:12 PM
  #126  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Our local rural roads have the highest rate of fatalities for both cyclists and motorists alike.
The exact opposite case appears in the only data seen here so far, as previously discussed.

Wishful thinking is not a strategy, it is what one resorts to when their strategy fails.
TC1 is offline  
Old 11-28-23, 02:57 PM
  #127  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,734
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4027 Post(s)
Liked 4,406 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
The exact opposite case appears in the only data seen here so far, as previously discussed.

Wishful thinking is not a strategy, it is what one resorts to when their strategy fails.
Well there’s this data:-

https://www.rospa.com/media/document...-factsheet.pdf

“In 2019, 60 cyclists were killed on rural roads, compared to 40 on urban roads. In that year, cyclists travelled 3.5 billion miles on the road. Of these miles, 73% were travelled on urban roads, compared to only 27% on rural roads. The fact that the amount of deaths on these road types are quite similar despite the fact many more miles are travelled on urban roads shows that cyclists are much more likely to be involved in a fatal accident on a rural road”
PeteHski is online now  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-28-23, 03:20 PM
  #128  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 256 Posts
The body counters seldom bother with details, may be because it gets more complicated and sometimes it might not fit the narrative they are selling.
Deaths - are we discussing instant deaths, were more bicyclists in the countryside not wearing helmets, is the medical help necessary to save lives takes longer time to arrive at the scene of accident (or not even called for a time, until someone saw a bicyclist lying there with the motorist having left the scene), are the medical facilities in the countryside as well equipped as trauma centers in larger cities… all a bit more complicated than simply counting the bodies.
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-28-23, 03:26 PM
  #129  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well there’s this data:-

https://www.rospa.com/media/document...-factsheet.pdf

“In 2019, 60 cyclists were killed on rural roads, compared to 40 on urban roads. In that year, cyclists travelled 3.5 billion miles on the road. Of these miles, 73% were travelled on urban roads, compared to only 27% on rural roads. The fact that the amount of deaths on these road types are quite similar despite the fact many more miles are travelled on urban roads shows that cyclists are much more likely to be involved in a fatal accident on a rural road”
Apparently the scope of our discussion just changed from Milton Keynes to a which wider geographic area.

The statistics you just quoted are actually an excellent argument for my position, by the way. Even if building a few dedicated cycle paths in a few urban areas worked to save lives in those areas ( which they don't ), such a strategy provides no benefit whatsoever for rural cyclists -- or urban cyclists who wish to bike to another town. In fact, such a strategy is actually detrimental to the safety of rural cyclists, because motor vehicle operators from the urban areas become increasingly disused to sharing roads with cyclists, and when they encounter cyclists outside the city, poor outcomes result. That doesn't seem very equitable, does it?

On the other hand, fixing road user behavior improves the safety of all cyclists -- and pedestrians, to boot -- regardless of whether they are biking a kilometer to the store or exploring the entire country.

As I previously mentioned, "separate but equal" infrastructures will never be either, and cyclists lobbying for them are acting counter to their own interests.

Last edited by TC1; 11-28-23 at 03:33 PM.
TC1 is offline  
Old 11-28-23, 07:35 PM
  #130  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,734
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4027 Post(s)
Liked 4,406 Times in 2,737 Posts

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-28-23 at 07:45 PM.
PeteHski is online now  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-29-23, 12:38 PM
  #131  
Senior Member
 
mr,grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston Burbs
Posts: 998

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Bike LANES in my city are a mixed bag, We actually have a good amount of painted bike lanes on the main streets and there are two MUPs that go from either side of “downtown” to the train station and go through enough residential neighborhoods to be useful. Not MY residential neighborhood, so I’m a little bitter but…

eBikes? I’ve got one. I use it to commute to the next town over. The MUPs pretty much get me most of the way there. In the morning everyone rios along pretty smoothly. I routinely get smoked by the “But do you even commute’? Roadie-bros. In the afternoon the in-town part of the MUP is clogged with dog walkers and other obstructions. Can’t go any faster on an E than an Acoustic. On the weekends the MUPs are jammed with old people with little or no riding experience and poor hand-eye coordination on 80 pound, 30 PMH monsters on the MUPS where 30 year old moms are taking selfies and ignoring the kids that they had so that they could pose them on instagram and tictok.

I love my eBike but no one else should have one.
__________________
"I'm built like a marine mammal. I love the cold! "-Cosmoline
"MTBing is cheap compared to any motorsport I've done. It's very expensive compared to jogging."-ColinL
Rides:

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
mr,grumpy is offline  
Old 11-29-23, 01:14 PM
  #132  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Road to Nowhere
See now, if in your shoes, I'd have gone with the first track off that album, not the final one.

has been interpreted by some people as the experience of a person who has just been hit by car, and is dead or dying as a result. Why else is she lying in the grass alongside a highway, making sure she is not dreaming, and joining the world of missing persons?

Maybe you really are just a huge fan of building roads to nowhere, but to me, that has long-since stopped making sense.





TC1 is offline  
Old 11-29-23, 04:58 PM
  #133  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,447

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
Bike LANES in my city are a mixed bag, We actually have a good amount of painted bike lanes on the main streets and there are two MUPs that go from either side of “downtown” to the train station and go through enough residential neighborhoods to be useful. Not MY residential neighborhood, so I’m a little bitter but…

eBikes? I’ve got one. I use it to commute to the next town over. The MUPs pretty much get me most of the way there. In the morning everyone rios along pretty smoothly. I routinely get smoked by the “But do you even commute’? Roadie-bros. In the afternoon the in-town part of the MUP is clogged with dog walkers and other obstructions. Can’t go any faster on an E than an Acoustic. On the weekends the MUPs are jammed with old people with little or no riding experience and poor hand-eye coordination on 80 pound, 30 PMH monsters on the MUPS where 30 year old moms are taking selfies and ignoring the kids that they had so that they could pose them on instagram and tictok.

I love my eBike but no one else should have one.
In my area the older folks on legitimate e-bikes ride fairly responsibly, but not the teens on their Super 73s: Start Here To Find Your New Electric Bike | SUPER73.

A Super 73 may indicate that one's parents believe that one is expendable.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 11-29-23, 05:41 PM
  #134  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 11,423
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3626 Post(s)
Liked 5,286 Times in 2,685 Posts
I don't know anything about the quality but the specs of the Super 73 are impressive. 40 mile range at 20 mph w/o having to pedal and 28 mph top speed. It looks more stable than the ones that more resemble bicycles. I think this is the ebike future.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 11-29-23, 06:08 PM
  #135  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,447

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't know anything about the quality but the specs of the Super 73 are impressive. 40 mile range at 20 mph w/o having to pedal and 28 mph top speed. It looks more stable than the ones that more resemble bicycles. I think this is the ebike future.
Yes, in a Mad Max future.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.