Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bad experience with REI/co-op cycles

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bad experience with REI/co-op cycles

Old 12-05-23, 05:49 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,730

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,115 Posts
And it kind of doesn’t matter who makes their bikes, they source from somewhere in China is likely. The store can source a replacement hanger and in my experience would gladly do what is necessary to get your bike fixed. They are a good reputable company.
Steve B. is offline  
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-05-23, 06:02 PM
  #27  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,453

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's the part number for the hanger (not the bike), I suspect.
Yes, I understand that. My point above is that REI should easily be able to order a replacement RD hanger because it has records of the exact bike model OP ordered, especially for its in-house CO-OP brand.

Even if OP was right that the REI bike service department manager somehow has a personal grudge against the OP, OP can call another REI, ask for its bike service department, and order a replacement RD hanger based on the model of his CO-OP bike.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-05-23, 07:24 PM
  #28  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,062

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked 3,733 Times in 2,487 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Yes, I understand that. My point above is that REI should easily be able to order a replacement RD hanger because it has records of the exact bike model OP ordered, especially for its in-house CO-OP brand.

Even if OP was right that the REI bike service department manager somehow has a personal grudge against the OP, OP can call another REI, ask for its bike service department, and order a replacement RD hanger based on the model of his CO-OP bike.
The only problem with your theory is that one would actually have to go back to an REI which unfortunately it seems the OP in both of the same threads has completely avoided and just wants to complain about buying a bike. It is a super excellent idea for most people though.

Complaints about bike shops are usually pretty unwarranted without their side of the story but when I here this story it throws up red flags of a difficult customer. We cannot always spend hours with you while you hem and haw about the cheaper bikes. We get in trouble for talking and talking to people who are clearly not interested and taking up our time that could be spent on other important tasks or we miss opportunities for actual paying customers who may walk out while we spend all that time with someone. Customer service is important but time wasters aren't. If we are building a custom bike and spending time on that it is one thing or actually picking out accessories and getting the bike outfitted for what you are doing that is another but just going back and forth on two similar low initial cost bikes just doesn't make sense to anyone. You may think you are the most important person and while for a time that could be quite true after a while when we have given you all the information and opportunity to test ride it is time for us to break off to get back to work. A lot of times people come in and won't listen to advice and don't really care what you have to say but they want to go back and forth with you to buy the wrong bike for their usage and just take up as much time and spend as little money as they can and then when the boss is looking at the numbers for the week they question you why you aren't making money.

If you are a bicycle commuter get a good bike and have a decent enough back up bike or be willing to take time off the bike but have some spares for traditional wear items and bicycle specific items like derailleur hangers.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-05-23, 07:37 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,800
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18207 Post(s)
Liked 14,964 Times in 7,084 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is also dubious. REI keeps a record on everything I have bought ever since I became a member years ago to buy my first road bike. Any REI customer service representative can look up your order history….
It most certainly does. I wanted to replace something I had bought from them, but I couldn’t remember the size. The woman on the phone knew what size I had bought the first time. I was quite pleased.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-23, 07:48 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,682
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
as a matter of real life experience I needed a stripped BB rethreaded Italian from English.local bike shop-Assemacher-$200. REI member $25.while I waited.40 +year member & never an issue they couldn't solve.
Na na na, I've been a member for 50 years now!

I've never had anything but exemplary personal and online service, good value for the price point, and trouble free returns since my very first order in 1973 (still have the Svea stove and Sigg cookset).

A few months ago, I bought two Salsa Journeyer bikes online to pick up in another state to coincide with an RV trip we were making. They were great informing me about the status, holding them for an extra week or two until I could get there, and the bikes were excellently assembled and have been trouble free since the get-go. OH, I did have a squealing brake on one of the bikes which I couldn't resolve easily on my own. I could take it to whatever REI I as near at the time, hundreds of miles from the original store, and they could take care of it.

They don't have an unlimited selection of bike stuff, but the stuff they have is good. Service and sales people are, in general in my community, as good or as better than the often ill-informed people at the LBSes. Hit or miss in both cases, but better odds at REI.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-05-23 at 07:57 PM.
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-05-23, 08:25 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but I did a very quick internet search and found the hanger right away. Even found it under Co-Op bike.
Bmach is offline  
Likes For Bmach:
Old 12-05-23, 08:39 PM
  #32  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,442

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2697 Post(s)
Liked 3,298 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbrian1969
I have took a stab in the dark and tried ordering a couple of them that were similar, but, they didn't fit and it was just a waste of money. I spent a good portion of my day trying to find out from REI who the bicycles manufacturer is, haven't gotten anywhere there. t

Made in Indonesia it's probably Polygon, if Taiwan probably Giant
dedhed is offline  
Old 12-05-23, 08:52 PM
  #33  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 5,866

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked 5,198 Times in 2,716 Posts
Just doesn’t pass the smell test.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Old 12-05-23, 09:11 PM
  #34  
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,215

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 224 Posts
Before there were any REI locations in Central Indiana, I ordered a 2003 Novara Big Buzz online from REI in Seattle (?). Great hybrid for my needs but broke several rear spokes right off the bat. Communicated with techs in Seattle who had me ship the wheel to them for repair. Got it back with new spokes shortly. No further problems.
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Likes For JanMM:
Old 12-05-23, 09:27 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,800
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18207 Post(s)
Liked 14,964 Times in 7,084 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Just doesn’t pass the smell test.
+1. Ample opportunity to explain the failure to take advantage of REI’s return policy. Either the whole thing is fake or the OP caused the asplosion.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-23, 09:28 PM
  #36  
I am potato.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,009

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 880 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with Derailleur hanger.com.

There is more here that obviously wasn't in the OP's sphere of observation. Bikes are not some magical complex machine, the mysteries of which hidden behind the shrouded curtains of only the annointed.

Your derailleur hanger "shattered" because it was extra stiff and brittle to handle the loads placed upon it by extra large pie-plate cogs and stiff springs of modern derailleur systems. Are/were you aware of how to properly adjust it? Did you take it in for it's check up after a reasonable break in period? We're you an accusatory jerk or just rub the customer service person wrong?

Return the bike or show up with the proper hanger for a warranty repair. Bike mechs talk to each other. If you worked yourself off the "nice" list (& their supposed behaviour seems to indicate you have)...No bike shop will fix your problem.

Go in. Make nice. Be humble. Apologize for your behavior. Bring a box of cookies or some donuts and start over.

This is a customer (service) issue more than it is a derailleur issue.

Last edited by base2; 12-05-23 at 10:05 PM.
base2 is offline  
Old 12-05-23, 09:48 PM
  #37  
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3,837
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked 3,231 Times in 1,699 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Did I miss why you haven't taken it back to REI and let them fix it? When you do, ask them to help you figure what you did wrong so you won't break the new one.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Presumably, faced with an easily-repaired potential return, they would be motivated to find the correct derailleur hanger.

Also, I haven't read this inane thread in detail, but the OP can take it back to ANY available REI, if the story about the manager is true and is the issue.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 12-05-23, 09:56 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 303 Posts
Member at REI
Never bought a bike there but got help with my bikes anyway and they always went out of their way to help.

Sales manager rude? Possible

Not supporting a product. Dubious

There's a LOT more to this story that we're hearing.
CrimsonEclipse is offline  
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 12-05-23, 10:51 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 2,726

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The purpose of the hanger is not only for mounting the rear derailleur, but also to protect the more expensive derailleur from damage. Not sure how a derailleur hanger shatters. I've seen them bent.

A bent derailleur hanger really implies some mishap occurred to bend the hanger whether the owner is aware of that incident that damaged it or not. Possibly being just one month old at the time, REI might have fixed it for little more cost than the part. I don't think REI's bikes are bad bikes. Certainly any other bike with a rear derailleur might have suffered the same damage.
Its actually to protect the frame as the rear der often doesn't survive, my wife recently bashed a rock on her mtb and sent her der into the rear wheel. wheel needed 3 spokes so less damage than if the hanger hadn't snapped, der and chain both ended up twisted and permanently damaged but the frame was perfectly fine with a new hanger.

op, rei used to be rebadged cannondales, i think most still are.
Russ Roth is offline  
Old 12-05-23, 11:18 PM
  #40  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,453

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Bikes are not some magical complex machine, the mysteries of which hidden behind the shrouded curtains of only the annointed.
Next time I go to REI bike section I am going to picture the staff there as the Wizard of Oz because of your comment above.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-07-23, 12:39 PM
  #41  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Posts: 6

Bikes: Older cannondale crossover (needs restoring), old Schwinn fixie/single conversion, brand new co-op cycles cty 1.1 (non-functional).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to disappoint

Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Just curious---what happened the instant before the hangar "shattered"? Was there some sort of incident, or did it just spontaneously explode into so many pieces it was completely unrecognizable? D*mn suicide bomber derailleur hangars... Thank God you weren't injured.
No, no suicide derailleur hanger bomb attack. Just run the mill small stick like our litter all over the bike Lanes around here, and Mike has got caught in the spokes of my old Cannondale many times one time of which meant the trailer, zero times of whichever bent the integral derailleur hanger which everyone says would have been destroyed, ruining the bike. A new derailleur I can get for under $20, a new derailleur hanger seems like it would require an act of God
mrbrian1969 is offline  
Old 12-07-23, 01:07 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7,634
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6790 Post(s)
Liked 10,683 Times in 4,572 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbrian1969
a new derailleur hanger seems like it would require an act of God
Have you gone back to the REI store yet?
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-07-23, 01:14 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,159
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2320 Post(s)
Liked 2,746 Times in 1,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you gone back to the REI store yet?
Or just call, or email, or do an online chat. Have the bike brand, model, year of purchase, serial number, etc., in front of you when you contact them.

And, tempting as it will undoubtedly be to unload on the person you contact, keep it professional. Explain what you need and ask them what you need to do to get it.

And, by the way, be happy that the replaceable hanger sacrificed itself. Think how annoyed you'd be if you needed to pay for a new frame (damage from getting a stick caught in a derailleur isn't covered under warranty, and shouldn't be).
Trakhak is offline  
Old 12-07-23, 10:03 PM
  #44  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,442

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2697 Post(s)
Liked 3,298 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The only problem with your theory is that one would actually have to go back to an REI which unfortunately it seems the OP in both of the same threads has completely avoided and just wants to complain about buying a bike. It is a super excellent idea for most people though.

Complaints about bike shops are usually pretty unwarranted without their side of the story but when I here this story it throws up red flags of a difficult customer. We cannot always spend hours with you while you hem and haw about the cheaper bikes. We get in trouble for talking and talking to people who are clearly not interested and taking up our time that could be spent on other important tasks or we miss opportunities for actual paying customers who may walk out while we spend all that time with someone. Customer service is important but time wasters aren't. If we are building a custom bike and spending time on that it is one thing or actually picking out accessories and getting the bike outfitted for what you are doing that is another but just going back and forth on two similar low initial cost bikes just doesn't make sense to anyone. You may think you are the most important person and while for a time that could be quite true after a while when we have given you all the information and opportunity to test ride it is time for us to break off to get back to work. A lot of times people come in and won't listen to advice and don't really care what you have to say but they want to go back and forth with you to buy the wrong bike for their usage and just take up as much time and spend as little money as they can and then when the boss is looking at the numbers for the week they question you why you aren't making money.

If you are a bicycle commuter get a good bike and have a decent enough back up bike or be willing to take time off the bike but have some spares for traditional wear items and bicycle specific items like derailleur hangers.
All well & good, but REI is a completely different business model than an LBS, with bikes being only a small part of most stores,
dedhed is offline  
Old 12-08-23, 04:58 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right where I'm supposed to be
Posts: 1,590

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbrian1969
No, no suicide derailleur hanger bomb attack. Just run the mill small stick like our litter all over the bike Lanes around here, and Mike has got caught in the spokes of my old Cannondale many times one time of which meant the trailer, zero times of whichever bent the integral derailleur hanger which everyone says would have been destroyed, ruining the bike. A new derailleur I can get for under $20, a new derailleur hanger seems like it would require an act of God

These sentences are gibberish.
Garthr is offline  
Likes For Garthr:
Old 12-08-23, 06:46 AM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,800
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18207 Post(s)
Liked 14,964 Times in 7,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
These sentences are gibberish.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-23, 08:52 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you gone back to the REI store yet?
He's determined to do anything but that, the one thing that would solve his problem for sure. So instead he's trolling this group with complaints about REI, and nobody's taking the bait. As we have discerned, there's much more to this story. It sounds like he probably pissed off the staff at REI and now they won't help him.
Jeff Neese is offline  
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 12-08-23, 09:29 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,800
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18207 Post(s)
Liked 14,964 Times in 7,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
He's determined to do anything but that, the one thing that would solve his problem for sure. So instead he's trolling this group with complaints about REI, and nobody's taking the bait. As we have discerned, there's much more to this story. It sounds like he probably pissed off the staff at REI and now they won't help him.
Possibly, although, assuming it actually happened, my money is on "He did something to cause it to break and thus REI isn't responsible for fixing it."

In any event, I hope he won't be back here.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-23, 09:30 AM
  #49  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
The purpose of the hanger is not only for mounting the rear derailleur, but also to protect the more expensive derailleur from damage. Not sure how a derailleur hanger shatters. I've seen them bent.

A bent derailleur hanger really implies some mishap occurred to bend the hanger whether the owner is aware of that incident that damaged it or not. Possibly being just one month old at the time, REI might have fixed it for little more cost than the part. I don't think REI's bikes are bad bikes. Certainly any other bike with a rear derailleur might have suffered the same damage.
I've also never seen them shatter but assuming the poster must mean something else like wobbly or bent
DaveBikesHarder is offline  
Old 12-08-23, 10:23 AM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,159
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2320 Post(s)
Liked 2,746 Times in 1,566 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Possibly, although, assuming it actually happened, my money is on "He did something to cause it to break and thus REI isn't responsible for fixing it."

In any event, I hope he won't be back here.
Probably posting on another forum: "Bad Experience on BikeForums."
Trakhak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.