Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Ekar GT Groupset

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Ekar GT Groupset

Old 02-20-24, 08:33 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
New Ekar GT Groupset

Campagnolo released a new Ekar GT groupset. More aluminum, less CF, and lower cost.
RGMN is offline  
Likes For RGMN:
Old 02-20-24, 10:58 AM
  #2  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,605

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-20-24, 01:02 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Campagnolo released a new Ekar GT groupset. More aluminum, less CF, and lower cost.
I think this is a step in the right direction, even if I remain puzzled as to Campagís long-term plans. Although Iím a dyed-in-the-wool Campag user for the road, if I were putting together a gravel/touring bike, Iíd probably opt for Shimano, simply because Iím more likely to find parts in a hurry if I break something. Campag, alas, is a niche product now
13ollocks is offline  
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-20-24, 09:02 PM
  #4  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston Metro
Posts: 10

Bikes: too many and not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ekar has been the only group Iíve yet to try, not sure whether this new release makes it more or less appealing but the Zondas sure look good!
AndyJoK is offline  
Likes For AndyJoK:
Old 02-20-24, 10:25 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 898

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I have two Ekar equipped bicycles, and I have found it to be excellent. One road, one gravel. I am aware that some people say they are a bit fiddley, but what I have found is that if they are setup according to the instructions Campagnolo publishes they are quite trouble free.

Yes, they can make a clack when you shift under power. They shift precisely, and you can down shift multiple gears in one swipe. I can work them with mittens on, but if they are coated in ice from freezing rain they will jam. The brakes are excellent.

I wish they had a crank that worked with 73 mm bottom bracket spacing, but you can't have everything. And if they would make an electronic version at a reasonable premium over the mechanical group, like maybe a $500 above the mechanical, I would probably put that on my next bike.

I also don't see much call for the alloy version unless it was quite a bit less expensive. You can get a carbon Ekar for about $1,000 US. Can I get the aluminum version for $600?
DangerousDanR is offline  
Old 02-21-24, 07:37 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,212

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I also don't see much call for the alloy version unless it was quite a bit less expensive. You can get a carbon Ekar for about $1,000 US. Can I get the aluminum version for $600?
Margin should be better with Al bits
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 02-21-24, 07:50 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8,381
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR

I also don't see much call for the alloy version unless it was quite a bit less expensive. You can get a carbon Ekar for about $1,000 US. Can I get the aluminum version for $600?
Price is obviously going to be a major point here. Interestingly it has an even wider range cassette option than Ekar and a smaller chainring option. Itís about 300g heavier, but potentially could be more durable. Seems like a reasonable option to me for those on a tighter budget or even just looking for lower gearing.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 02-21-24, 08:12 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 898

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I wonder if this is aimed at the OEM market? Probably that is the case.

I have been looking at getting a new gravel bike to replace the drop bar MTB I currently have. I have focused on a couple of bikes that come with Ekar. Neither is low enough in price that I am wanting to spring for it.

A $200 price cut to a bike manufacturer might translate into a $600 price cut at the retail level.
DangerousDanR is offline  
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-21-24, 07:46 PM
  #9  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,467

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I think it is pretty neat. I know Campy doesn't always make the right choices and do what will be most practical but they make fun interesting stuff and sometimes have a bit of innovation thrown in or at least some good looks.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-22-24, 02:41 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I have two Ekar equipped bicycles, and I have found it to be excellent. One road, one gravel. I am aware that some people say they are a bit fiddley, but what I have found is that if they are setup according to the instructions Campagnolo publishes they are quite trouble free.

Yes, they can make a clack when you shift under power. They shift precisely, and you can down shift multiple gears in one swipe. I can work them with mittens on, but if they are coated in ice from freezing rain they will jam. The brakes are excellent.

I wish they had a crank that worked with 73 mm bottom bracket spacing, but you can't have everything. And if they would make an electronic version at a reasonable premium over the mechanical group, like maybe a $500 above the mechanical, I would probably put that on my next bike.

I also don't see much call for the alloy version unless it was quite a bit less expensive. You can get a carbon Ekar for about $1,000 US. Can I get the aluminum version for $600?
I'm looking at building up a 1x road bike and had been looking at Ekar before they announced Ekar GT. Carbon Ekar for $1k would be great, but this frame sort of calls out for aluminum. I have Chorus on 2 other bikes, and a Chorus/Record mix on a third. I'd probably miss the upshift klunk if Ekar didn't do it too.
RGMN is offline  
Old 02-24-24, 06:03 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Lamont Cobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I've never owned a Campy part or even seen one in person. I don't think I'm alone.....
Lamont Cobb is offline  
Old 02-24-24, 06:20 PM
  #12  
aged to perfection
 
mpetry912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PacNW
Posts: 1,801

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I've never owned a Campy part or even seen one in person. I don't think I'm alone.....
send address, I'll send you a shifter wing nut or something so you're officially in the club.

Probably the last Campagnolo component I will buy. "officially sanctioned merchandise".

/markp

mpetry912 is offline  
Old 02-26-24, 03:14 PM
  #13  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,428

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilťe, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I've never owned a Campy part or even seen one in person. I don't think I'm alone.....
No, Iím sure youíre not, and itís important to remember that the same thing could have been said by someone 15 years ago. It has probably been more than 20 years, I think, since Campagnolo has had a regular, or common, presence in the typical, American bike shop.

From that perspective, maybe Campagnolo have already carved out their niche and are settled into it, rather than being on the edge of slipping out of the mainstream, and Ekar GT, rather than it representing clawing at diminishing market share, represents Campagnolo growing out into new market segments.
chaadster is offline  
Old 02-27-24, 08:09 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,755

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
My bike has Campy dropoutsóthe only Campy parts on my bike. The only Campy parts Iíve ever owned or likely ever will.
smd4 is offline  
Old 02-27-24, 11:26 PM
  #15  
With a mighty wind
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,583
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
The thumb shifter on the Ergo makes it vastly superior to the other brands um ergonomically. I futzed around with lots of things on my gravel bike before heading back to Campy.

I happen to like the clunk. It’s positive.

I do run a Sram Force crank with a Rotor 13speed chainring. Works perfectly.
rosefarts is offline  
Old 02-29-24, 09:46 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
The thumb shifter on the Ergo makes it vastly superior to the other brands um ergonomically. I futzed around with lots of things on my gravel bike before heading back to Campy.

I happen to like the clunk. Itís positive.

I do run a Sram Force crank with a Rotor 13speed chainring. Works perfectly.
I like that design much better than Shimano's system, but I prefer both Sram "double tap" and the current design of Microshift over anything else. Not that I'd refuse to use any one of them, just think both the Sram and Microshift - and also Campagnolo - are better designs than Shimano.
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-01-24, 07:07 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 898

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I like that design much better than Shimano's system, but I prefer both Sram "double tap" and the current design of Microshift over anything else. Not that I'd refuse to use any one of them, just think both the Sram and Microshift - and also Campagnolo - are better designs than Shimano.
I can't think of a harder to use design for an integrated brake and shifter than what Shimano has done. My guess is that it would be completely unworkable when wearing mittens. The Ekar is easy to use with mittens on.
DangerousDanR is offline  
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-01-24, 09:36 AM
  #18  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I see no polished or at least bare aluminum. Itís worth $50 to me.

I see 4 arm crank with blind drilled holes looking like itís related to that old Nexus crank. It is worth $10 to me.

It all looks like OEM for $600 hybrid bikes. Do they make a ďshock absorber forkĒ to match? Gel seat from Cinelli?

what has the world come to when companies started in the 2000s have products thatíre more appealing than the new new from Campagnolo?

Last edited by MattoftheRocks; 03-01-24 at 09:53 AM.
MattoftheRocks is offline  
Likes For MattoftheRocks:
Old 03-01-24, 09:52 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I've never owned a Campy part or even seen one in person. I don't think I'm alone.....
Ditto.

I just read about them on the internet and how they have shiny 50th anniversary parts.
prj71 is offline  
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-01-24, 10:03 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,755

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Ditto.

I just read about them on the internet and how they have shiny 50th anniversary parts.
Guess they one-upped Shimano in that department.
smd4 is offline  
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-01-24, 10:49 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8,381
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
I see no polished or at least bare aluminum. Itís worth $50 to me.

I see 4 arm crank with blind drilled holes looking like itís related to that old Nexus crank. It is worth $10 to me.

It all looks like OEM for $600 hybrid bikes. Do they make a ďshock absorber forkĒ to match? Gel seat from Cinelli?

what has the world come to when companies started in the 2000s have products thatíre more appealing than the new new from Campagnolo?
What has the world come to when people moan about the colour of a bicycle groupset? Looks fine to me. Clean, modern, understated design.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-01-24, 10:53 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,755

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Looks fine to me.
I looked at the road groups on that site. All the new Campy components are stunningly ugly, and it's not just about color--but that's a big part of it.
smd4 is offline  
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-01-24, 11:18 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8,381
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I looked at the road groups on that site. All the new Campy components are stunningly ugly, and it's not just about color--but that's a big part of it.
Noted, but it still looks fine to me.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-01-24, 11:19 AM
  #24  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts


Pacific Bicycles Manufactured Walmart bike

Clean, modern, understated design.”

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree.
MattoftheRocks is offline  
Old 03-01-24, 11:23 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8,381
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
ď

Pacific Bicycles Manufactured Walmart bike

Clean, modern, understated design.Ē

I think weíll have to agree to disagree.
You appear to be getting confused between colour and quality. Those cheapo bikes are just copying the colours of expensive drivertrains. Back when shiny was fashionable, cheap bikes also had shiny bits.

Edit: oh I see you cherry picked some older bikes to prove your point.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-01-24 at 11:30 AM.
PeteHski is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.