Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Old 04-05-24, 01:21 PM
  #426  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,858

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,729 Times in 6,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...capable of what, exactly? Are you taking more air these days than pro riders did in the late 90's ? If so, at your age, my hat is off to you, sir.
"Are you doing better on your modern bike than professionals did 30 years ago?" is a weird thing to ask. Wouldn't the correct comparison be to HIMSELF years ago? Or whether he does better on a well-maintained old bike than on a new one?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-24, 01:26 PM
  #427  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,209

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,191 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
None of those bikes are anything like as capable as their modern day equivalents.
Thirty years ago, the 30-year-younger you was saying the exact same thing about bikes from the 1960s.

EDIT: Oops. That's right. The 30-year-younger you was actually saying, "Man, someone should invent wireless index shifting and get carbon fiber bikes below 15 pounds."
smd4 is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:28 PM
  #428  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,858

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,729 Times in 6,532 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Thirty years ago, the 30-year-younger you was saying the exact same thing about bikes from the 1960s.
And if he's still alive in 30 years, and still rides, he'll say that then and it'll also be true. This is an argument against a point nobody's making.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-24, 01:29 PM
  #429  
The Wheezing Geezer
 
Fredo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: EspaŮola, NM
Posts: 1,171

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Liked 1,060 Times in 504 Posts
I think half an hour's sleep, more or less, the night before would make more difference in the next day's performance for most any grand tour rider since the 1950s, than the decade their bikes were built in. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
Fredo76 is online now  
Old 04-05-24, 01:30 PM
  #430  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,209

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,191 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
And if he's still alive in 30 years, and still rides, he'll say that then and it'll also be true. This is an argument against a point nobody's making.
Whoosh! There goes that point again!

The point is, "modern" bikes have "always" been cutting edge. Except now you pay a lot more for that edge in dollars adjusted for inflation.
smd4 is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:33 PM
  #431  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9,337
Liked 5,481 Times in 3,383 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I understand that PeteHski doesn't care about this, he just goes on to the next replacement bike.
Iím actually quite pragmatic about bikes and only replace them when there is something I find significantly better. I rode the same high-end mountain bike from 2004 until 2015 and the new bike was a hell of a lot better. Since then I bought one more new mtb in 2019 and that was only slightly better. Not such a leap, but still better. I had the same road bike from the mid 80s through to the late 90s and the new one was only slightly better. Then I bought a new road bike again in 2019 and found it was a lot better with the wider tyres, properly designed carbon frame, carbon wheels and disc brakes. I was so impressed that I bought another modern road bike in 2022 in a higher spec with electronic gears. Thatís all for me. I donít have an endless collection of old or new bikes.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-24, 01:37 PM
  #432  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"Are you doing better on your modern bike than professionals did 30 years ago?" is a weird thing to ask. Wouldn't the correct comparison be to HIMSELF years ago? Or whether he does better on a well-maintained old bike than on a new one?
...why is it weird to ask about the performance level of an older individual, as it relates to the "capabilities" of the current crop of bicycles ? The point, if there is one, is about how much of this "capability" is of use to the majority of riders. In this case, age does play a factor. Arguably, a more "capable" MTB can get you into trouble if you don't heal as well and as quickly as you did 30 years ago.

So no, I don't find it weird at all. Which is why I asked it.

I constantly get the impression in these threads, that the people who disagree most vehemently with me, are looking at age creeping up on them, and running just as fast as they can to buy some sort of "performance" advantage that exists only for the most highly skilled and conditioned athletes in the sport. Not being one of those, I guess it's hard for me to figure out why one of them would be posting in General Cycling.
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-05-24, 01:38 PM
  #433  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Iím actually quite pragmatic about bikes and only replace them when there is something I find significantly better. I rode the same high-end mountain bike from 2004 until 2015 and the new bike was a hell of a lot better. Since then I bought one more new mtb in 2019 and that was only slightly better. Not such a leap, but still better. I had the same road bike from the mid 80s through to the late 90s and the new one was only slightly better. Then I bought a new road bike again in 2019 and found it was a lot better with the wider tyres, properly designed carbon frame, carbon wheels and disc brakes. I was so impressed that I bought another modern road bike in 2022 in a higher spec with electronic gears. Thatís all for me. I donít have an endless collection of old or new bikes.
...I seem to recall something about how you don't keep cars more than a few years. Did I imagine that ?
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:40 PM
  #434  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,858

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,729 Times in 6,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...why is it weird to ask about the performance level of an older individual, as it relates to the "capabilities" of the current crop of bicycles ? The point, if there is one, is about how much of this "capability" is of use to the majority of riders. In this case, age does play a factor. Arguably, a more "capable" MTB can get you into trouble if you don't heal as well and as quickly as you did 30 years ago.

So no, I don't find it weird at all. Which is why I asked it.

I constantly get the impression in these threads, that the people who disagree most vehemently with me, are looking at age creeping up on them, and running just as fast as they can to buy some sort of "performance" advantage that exists only for the most highly skilled and conditioned athletes in the sport. Not being one of those, I guess it's hard for me to figure out why one of them would be posting in General Cycling.
Because you're comparing an amateur to professionals. Duh.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 04-05-24, 01:41 PM
  #435  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,858

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,729 Times in 6,532 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Whoosh! There goes that point again!

The point is, "modern" bikes have "always" been cutting edge. Except now you pay a lot more for that edge in dollars adjusted for inflation.
That's your point? Again, arguing against something nobody's saying.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 04-05-24, 01:42 PM
  #436  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9,337
Liked 5,481 Times in 3,383 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...capable of what, exactly? Are you taking more air these days than pro riders did in the late 90's ? If so, at your age, my hat is off to you, sir.
No, but I can ride trails on modern MTBs that I certainly couldnít ride on a 1990 MTB. I crash a lot less now too. Modern MTBs are like having a cheat code. Some would argue that they donít want a cheat code, but thatís another thing.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:44 PM
  #437  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm pretty sure we already went through that thoroughly pages ago. The thing is, bike companies are in the business of selling NEW bikes, not second hand bikes.
...we were, IIRC, discussing advances in technology. Not advances in marketing...which I agree has made significant strides in the past 20 years. I would argue that advances in marketing have outstripped advances in technology, but then someone would accuse me of being a "big Bicycle" conspiracy theorist. Which I am most definitely not.

I just find the whole topic, as it gets discussed these days in General Cycling, to be quite strange. Like I outlived my time period, and the people around me when I woke up are all enthusiastically drinking Brawndo, because it's got electrolytes.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:47 PM
  #438  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9,337
Liked 5,481 Times in 3,383 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I seem to recall something about how you don't keep cars more than a few years. Did I imagine that ?
Thatís true. But that has nothing to do with bicycles
PeteHski is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:48 PM
  #439  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Because you're comparing an amateur to professionals. Duh.
...yes. I'm saying that the "advantages" are limited by your personal ability to take advantage of them. This is not a hard concept...but you seem to be having trouble with it.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:49 PM
  #440  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by petehski
thatís true. But that has nothing to do with bicycles
...ok
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:50 PM
  #441  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,858

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,729 Times in 6,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...we were, IIRC, discussing advances in technology. Not advances in marketing...which I agree has made significant strides in the past 20 years. I would argue that advances in marketing have outstripped advances in technology, but then someone would accuse me of being a "big Bicycle" conspiracy theorist. Which I am most definitely not.
I'd note that there seems to be a much larger market for high-end luxury goods these days than there used to be. Watches, cars, bikes, what have you. There seem to be more people looking to buy ever more expensive halo products.

I just find the whole topic, as it gets discussed these days in General Cycling, to be quite strange. Like I outlived my time period, and the people around me when I woke up are all enthusiastically drinking Brawndo, because it's got electrolytes.
What are we supposed to drink? Water? Like out of the toilet?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-24, 01:51 PM
  #442  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,858

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,729 Times in 6,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...yes. I'm saying that the "advantages" are limited by your personal ability to take advantage of them. This is not a hard concept...but you seem to be having trouble with it.
Which means the appropriate comparison for an amateur cyclist is not professionals of the past.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 04-05-24, 01:54 PM
  #443  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
No, but I can ride trails on modern MTBs that I certainly couldnít ride on a 1990 MTB. I crash a lot less now too. Modern MTBs are like having a cheat code. Some would argue that they donít want a cheat code, but thatís another thing.
...as I got older, I used to fall less when downhill skiing. This had little or nothing to do with tech improvements in ski's (of which there were many). It had everything to do with me becoming more cautious in what I attempted to do on the mountain. I'm sure increased travel and better suspension components makes a difference, but I'm unconvinced that your crash history is a direct result of technological improvements. Forgive me.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:54 PM
  #444  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,209

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,191 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's your point? Again, arguing against something nobody's saying.
Excuse me? The entire subject of this thread is "Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?" All people can come up with is "Modern bikes are more advanced." And again, my point is that in relative terms...they're not.
smd4 is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 01:58 PM
  #445  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Which means the appropriate comparison for an amateur cyclist is not professionals of the past.

...the professionals of the past were, presumably, taking the most advantage of the product available. Pete is, presumably, taking the most advantage he can of the current product. I'm asking if he can take so much advantage, that he exceeds the guys back then, who were better than both of us. That's a legit question, and you are either trolling today, or desperately in need of another cup of coffee. I'm out.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 02:01 PM
  #446  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,997

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
What are we supposed to drink? Water? Like out of the toilet?
...beverage technology over the past 20 years has made incredible progress. I'd look for something with the best marketing.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-05-24, 02:04 PM
  #447  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,601
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
The only thing that really makes me laugh is that as trends come and go, people in the forums end up talking out of both sides of their mouths. The same people are flipping and flopping as the winds blows. First it lightweight is the be all end all. Then some stuff gets added like disc brakes get added. Then weight wasn't really important after all. Then there stiffness in the frame and wheels. But then we have to start running our tires at low pressures for cushy rides. It goes on and on as each new or new again thing comes out. Now we have a thread about the revolutionary tech called hookless rims. It's already been around once and wasn't good then. We got people talking about how it's the bees knees. Just wait though, if the UCI bans them those same people will be talking about how unsafe they are and how they should be wiped from existence. Comedy like that is why I tune into BF.
seypat is online now  
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-05-24, 02:05 PM
  #448  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,858

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,729 Times in 6,532 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Excuse me? The entire subject of this thread is "Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?" All people can come up with is "Modern bikes are more advanced." And again, my point is that in relative terms...they're not.
That assumes the pace of innovation is constant, which I would argue it not the case.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 04-05-24, 02:07 PM
  #449  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,743
Liked 1,236 Times in 802 Posts
You know what's more expensive than a modern bike?

Hospital stays and drugs that are required from living a sedentary lifestyle.
prj71 is offline  
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-05-24, 02:16 PM
  #450  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,209

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,191 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That assumes the pace of innovation is constant, which I would argue it not the case.
Then you would agree that the same assumption about the non-constant pace of innovation was also true 30 years ago?
smd4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.