Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Old 03-21-24, 04:47 PM
  #176  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,044

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey


Dude, you don't even have a point that you're arguing.
Do you have a Jennifer Lawrence fixation? Because your arguments seem to have been reduced to this gif. This is the third time youíve used it.

Not that Iím blaming you if you do. I may have one myself.
smd4 is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 04:48 PM
  #177  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey


Dude, you don't even have a point that you're arguing.
Yeah Mr. GIF-man says LMAO
Yan is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 04:49 PM
  #178  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Do you have a Jennifer Lawrence fixation? Because your arguments seem to have been reduced to this gif.

Not that Iím blaming you if you do. I may have one myself.
I use it when someone says something transparently ridiculous. Since I had downloaded the GIF when you said something transparently ridiculous, it was sitting at the top of my Downloads folder. Serendipitous, you might say.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 04:53 PM
  #179  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I use it when someone says something transparently ridiculous. Since I had downloaded the GIF when you said something transparently ridiculous, it was sitting at the top of my Downloads folder. Serendipitous, you might say.
Ridiculous why? Because it showed that you were wrong and you didn't enjoy that? Ok.

​​​​​​
Yan is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 04:53 PM
  #180  
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 15,695

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7734 Post(s)
Liked 3,671 Times in 1,938 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I took an engineering class in carbon fiber back in the early '80s, because I wanted to make carbon frames. One thing that quickly became obvious is that if you wanted to make a carbon frame that was as strong as a steel frame in every possible loading condition, it was going to weigh about the same as a steel frame.
I would say the notion was wrong then and is most obviously wrong now. Given that CF tech was pretty far advanced by the '80s, I cannot see how one could have come to such a conclusion

McLaren's 1981 F1 car had a complete CF monocoque. I am pretty sure it didn't weigh as much as a steel frame of similar strength would weigh ... in fact, if it had not been lighter and stronger than an aluminum honeycomb monocoque, then it would have been an aluminum monocoque like prior models had been.

One must keep in mind that that was a complete CF chassis .... the company (and others) must have been experimenting and testing for quite a while before using CF for the entire chassis.

In fact, CF seems to have really started as a practical manufacturing material between 1956 and 1964 (according to the internet, which is always right when it agrees with me. (https://www.nasampe.org/page/CarbonFiber)) Another site says "The door to uses of composite material for commercial aircraft was opened by adoption of GFRP to a radar dome in 1940. In 1975, NASA developed for a research purpose elevators (horizontal rudders) of B727 and B737, and vertical stabilizers of DC10 made of composite material. This switching over from a metal to FRP contributed to about 30% weight reduction." (https://www.carbonfiber.gr.jp/english/field/craft.html)

As far as CF not being as strong as steel .... or a CF frame needing to weigh as much as a steel frame to bear the loads ... I have to think your professor was not a great designer or engineer, or just not up to speed ... I do not mean to cast aspersions, but just think about what we actually know about the strength of CF compared to steel by weight.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
What he actually said is, "I could probably do it, but you couldn't." I forget which Va Tech professor told me that. They hired a carbon specialist after I took the course, but I don't think it was him.

Since I was an experienced framebuilder, and he wasn't, I might have had a better chance. He probably wouldn't have been able to build a usable frame. It's not like it was easy to learn about framebuilding in the early '80s. We might have been able to collaborate and be successful. In the end, it's not like it's that difficult.
This makes more sense.

Well, it makes more sense to me ... which isn't really saying anything.

That initial assertion really caught my eye, though. A modern "If man were meant to fly .... ."
Maelochs is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 04:57 PM
  #181  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Ridiculous why? Because it showed that you were wrong and you didn't enjoy that? Ok.

​​​​​​
The answer to all your questions lies here.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:02 PM
  #182  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,998

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
.
...if the engineering and development of the modern bicycle makes it so expensive, has anyone stopped to wonder whether all that money now supposedly being spent on innovation and engineering, in the new super bicycles being made and sold, is an appropriate pursuit ? Is it risky for me to point out that these are not formula one cars, no matter how much they might fulfill the same fantasy requirements?

Are the quantitative gains in the cycling industry worth the collective costs being imposed by that same industry ? When does the pursuit of ever smaller gains in speed and efficiency reach the point of diminishing returns ?

If speed of transport on two wheels is your ultimate goal, e-bikes do it cheaper and quicker.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 05:03 PM
  #183  
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 15,695

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7734 Post(s)
Liked 3,671 Times in 1,938 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
So under your logic, if phones have gotten cheaper as they have advanced, then why have bikes gone the other way as they have advanced?
Because mobile phones went from being a luxury item used by only the very wealthy to being a ubiquitous daily life accessory, and an access point for many other cash sources. In many poor countries, people who have nothing more advanced than wooden implements have cell phones, because the cell phones support the banking industry. Nobody needs a cash economy if you have cell phones and banking apps, and the banks, which had no place in those nations' economies for most of the populations, are now raking in the bucks. People who mostly barter and deal only in small sums of cash don't use banks, but as more people got phones 9to be connected to each other) they also transformed the economy from barter and cash to credit transactions---stores do sales via pay-by-phone, workers are paid via direct-deposit pay-by -phone, bills are paid by phone ... suddenly the banking industry had its finders in Everybody's lives, not just the wealthy and upper middle class. Complete transformation driven by cheap cellphones.

Bikes (at least in most of the "Western World" or "First World" ... have goner exactly the other way. Bikes are rarely used for transport, and those which are are usually the cheapest bikes and are used by the poorest people. Bikes have gone form transport/toys to "serious sports equipment" and for the upper end of the price range, right into "luxury hobby" status, like power boats and golf clubs---you can buy the utilitarian bass boat or driver, but the good stuff is very expensive.

Seems pretty simple ... not sure why people cannot fathom this. Luxury goods are priced on social cachet, utilitarian goods are priced more for volume sales.
Maelochs is offline  
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-21-24, 05:05 PM
  #184  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,044

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I use it when someone says something transparently ridiculous. Since I had downloaded the GIF when you said something transparently ridiculous, it was sitting at the top of my Downloads folder. Serendipitous, you might say.
You and several othersí arguments basically boils down to: ďWe canít compare anything today with anything from the past because everything is different, and adjusted for inflation bikes today cost the same as they did in 1990.Ē

Talk about transparently ridiculous.

I paraphrase, of course. Something seemingly not allowed here, but acceptable on other forums.

Can you insert the Jennifer Lawrence gif here for me? Iíve gotta grab dinner. Thanks.

Last edited by smd4; 03-21-24 at 05:14 PM.
smd4 is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:07 PM
  #185  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The answer to all your questions lies here.
Re-linking to your own post doesn't do anything. You're just proliferating the wrong.

I wasn't the one who first started arguing about cellphones in this thread. YOU were. See I can link your posts too.

Link to your post on page 1 arguing about phones

If your argument is that technological advances naturally should result in ever higher prices, then you massively punched yourself in the face the moment you started arguing about phones.

End of story. Next time don't punch yourself in the face.
Yan is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 05:08 PM
  #186  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.
...if the engineering and development of the modern bicycle makes it so expensive, has anyone stopped to wonder whether all that money now supposedly being spent on innovation and engineering, in the new super bicycles being made and sold, is an appropriate pursuit ? Is it risky for me to point out that these are not formula one cars, no matter how much they might fulfill the same fantasy requirements?

Are the quantitative gains in the cycling industry worth the collective costs being imposed by that same industry ? When does the pursuit of ever smaller gains in speed and efficiency reach the point of diminishing returns ?
In theory, The Market should take care of that - if the price of innovation becomes too great, companies will either cut back on it or go out of business, or both, and companies not burdened by those excessive costs will undercut the market and flourish.

If speed of transport on two wheels is your ultimate goal, e-bikes do it cheaper and quicker.
E-bikes? E-BIKES?!? E-BIKES?!?!?!?

BURN, HERETIC!!!!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:08 PM
  #187  
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 15,695

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7734 Post(s)
Liked 3,671 Times in 1,938 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.
...if the engineering and development of the modern bicycle makes it so expensive, has anyone stopped to wonder whether all that money now supposedly being spent on innovation and engineering, in the new super bicycles being made and sold, is an appropriate pursuit ? ......

If speed of transport on two wheels is your ultimate goal, e-bikes do it cheaper and quicker.
Wow, you are a business genius.

here is a competing theory---bike manufacturers are in the business of ... Making MONEY. Bikes are just the means to that end.

if more R&D can translate into higher prices and people are paying those higher prices, then to a business which wants to make money, the R&D is perfectly justified.

Pretty much no one buys a bike just for self-powered transport. I meana, this is a bicycle website, and most people here are not car-free, and not that many are full-time or even seasonal commuters. The idea that bicycling and the bike industry is about "transport on two wheels" is a plainly incorrect and unrealistic notion.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 05:12 PM
  #188  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Re-linking to your own post doesn't do anything. You're just proliferating the wrong.

I wasn't the one who first started arguing about cellphones in this thread. YOU were. See I can link your posts too.

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

If your argument is that technological advances naturally should result in ever higher prices, then you massively punched yourself in the face the moment you started arguing about phones.

End of story. Next time don't punch yourself in the face.
Again with the straw man.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:16 PM
  #189  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Again with the straw man.
I get that you don't enjoy losing an argument but let's stop with this BS trying to save face crap. It's not a strawman. It's literally what you've been arguing in favor of this entire thread.
Yan is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 05:17 PM
  #190  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,044

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Again with the straw man.
Is this how you talk with the guys after a ride while you discuss bikes while imbibing in an adult beverage?
smd4 is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:20 PM
  #191  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Because mobile phones went from being a luxury item used by only the very wealthy to being a ubiquitous daily life accessory, and an access point for many other cash sources. In many poor countries, people who have nothing more advanced than wooden implements have cell phones, because the cell phones support the banking industry. Nobody needs a cash economy if you have cell phones and banking apps, and the banks, which had no place in those nations' economies for most of the populations, are now raking in the bucks. People who mostly barter and deal only in small sums of cash don't use banks, but as more people got phones 9to be connected to each other) they also transformed the economy from barter and cash to credit transactions---stores do sales via pay-by-phone, workers are paid via direct-deposit pay-by -phone, bills are paid by phone ... suddenly the banking industry had its finders in Everybody's lives, not just the wealthy and upper middle class. Complete transformation driven by cheap cellphones.

Bikes (at least in most of the "Western World" or "First World" ... have goner exactly the other way. Bikes are rarely used for transport, and those which are are usually the cheapest bikes and are used by the poorest people. Bikes have gone form transport/toys to "serious sports equipment" and for the upper end of the price range, right into "luxury hobby" status, like power boats and golf clubs---you can buy the utilitarian bass boat or driver, but the good stuff is very expensive.

Seems pretty simple ... not sure why people cannot fathom this. Luxury goods are priced on social cachet, utilitarian goods are priced more for volume sales.
Yes this exactly. The correct answer to the question in the thread title.
Yan is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 05:23 PM
  #192  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You and several others arguments basically boils down to: ďWe canít compare anything today with anything from the past because everything is different, and adjusted for inflation bikes today cost the same as they did in 1990.Ē

I paraphrase, of course. Something seemingly not allowed here, but acceptable on other forums.

Can you insert the Jennifer Lawrence gif here for me? Iíve gotta grab dinner. Thanks.
The problem with your paraphrase is that it's not correct, and thus not a paraphrase. See also "straw man argument".

Koyote made the basic point in post #8 on this thread - technological improvements over time complicates direct price comparisons - they're not the same product.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:24 PM
  #193  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,044

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Yes this exactly. The correct answer to the question in the thread title.
Iím not going to re-quote @Maelochs, but yes, that was well-written.
smd4 is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:26 PM
  #194  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Is this how you talk with the guys after a ride while you discuss bikes while imbibing in an adult beverage?
None of the folks I ride with are prone to making fallacious arguments.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:28 PM
  #195  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I get that you don't enjoy losing an argument but let's stop with this BS trying to save face crap. It's not a strawman. It's literally what you've been arguing in favor of this entire thread.
And now projection.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:31 PM
  #196  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,044

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The problem with your paraphrase is that it's not correct, and thus not a paraphrase. See also "straw man argument".
.
I think it summarizes the thread well.

If I compare top of the line 1989 carbon with Dura Ace with top of the line 2024 carbon with Dura Ace, that somehow is an invalid comparison. And on it goes. Every proposed comparison is met with arguments about why itís invalid.

And many folks insist that todayís bikes arenít any more expensive than bikes from previous eras.

No, I think my summarization is quite accurate indeed.
smd4 is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:32 PM
  #197  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,044

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
And now projection.
Did you just learn that term this election cycle?
smd4 is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:41 PM
  #198  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,279

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5120 Post(s)
Liked 8,456 Times in 3,993 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
...many folks insist that todayís bikes arenít any more expensive than bikes from previous eras.
Based on the examples provided in this thread, it seems that bikes are both more expensive, and not more expensive.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-21-24, 05:43 PM
  #199  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think it summarizes the thread well.
I'm sure you do.

If I compare top of the line 1989 carbon with Dura Ace with top of the line 2024 carbon with Dura Ace, that somehow is an invalid comparison. And on it goes. Every proposed comparison is met with arguments about why itís invalid.

And many folks insist that todayís bikes arenít any more expensive than bikes from previous eras.

No, I think my summarization is quite accurate indeed.
You seen to be a very binary thinker. Yes/no, black/white, valid/invalid. Instead, realize how the comparison is complicated by not only technological improvement, but even more by the fact that you're looking at the extreme end of the bell curve of bikes - a small segment of the market, not the market as a whole. You seem to want to make that comparison a stand-in for the entire market, which is questionable at best.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 03-21-24, 05:44 PM
  #200  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,416

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10657 Post(s)
Liked 12,324 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Did you just learn that term this election cycle?
I've known the term for a long, long time.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.