Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on shipping my bike.

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need some advice on shipping my bike.

Old 10-30-06, 03:30 PM
  #1  
N_C
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some advice on shipping my bike.

I am hoping to ship my bike to Hawaii to ride on my vacation when I am there in Nov. UPS & Fed Ex wants to charge me $200 to $300 just to ship the bike alone. Way to much. I would rather not take it on the plane. Renting a bike is not an option either. I either take & ride mine, or I don't ride at all.

What suggestions do you have for a less expensive method to ship it?
N_C is offline  
Old 10-30-06, 10:41 PM
  #2  
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA
 
flatlander_48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cathedral City, CA
Posts: 1,501

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taking it as checked luggage should about half of what UPS and FedEx want to charge.
flatlander_48 is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 01:00 AM
  #3  
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by N_C
I am hoping to ship my bike to Hawaii to ride on my vacation when I am there in Nov. UPS & Fed Ex wants to charge me $200 to $300 just to ship the bike alone. Way to much. I would rather not take it on the plane. Renting a bike is not an option either. I either take & ride mine, or I don't ride at all.

What suggestions do you have for a less expensive method to ship it?
You seem to not want to use any of your available options. It looks like you don't ride.

BTW, why don't you want to take it on the plane? It's the quickest, cheapest, and safest option.
Ziemas is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 08:08 AM
  #4  
N_C
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
You seem to not want to use any of your available options. It looks like you don't ride.

BTW, why don't you want to take it on the plane? It's the quickest, cheapest, and safest option.
I don't want to take it on the plane because baggage handlers are not the kindest people to luggage & cargo. My bike is packed really well but damage can still happen. It does look like I will be shipping it on the plane. I am going to find out if I can send it ahead of me or if the bike has to fly when I do.
N_C is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 09:16 AM
  #5  
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,979

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to take it on the plane because baggage handlers are not the kindest people to luggage & cargo. My bike is packed really well but damage can still happen. It does look like I will be shipping it on the plane. I am going to find out if I can send it ahead of me or if the bike has to fly when I do.
They will treat it better than UPS will. If you pack it well, it should be fine.
slowandsteady is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 09:26 AM
  #6  
Falkon
The quieter you become...
 
Falkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,283

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rent a bike case from your bike shop and use some of the things they get with new bikes. There are plastic pieces that fit in the fork dropouts and rear dropouts. These are important, use em. Carry the wheels on the plane in wheel bags. Unbolt the rear dérailleur and leave it hanging. Unbolt the stem to orient the bars in the best possible way. Turn the fork around backwards if needed. Take off the pedals of course.

If you do this, you should have no problems sending the bike by plane. The airport has a replacement policy if you contact them within five days of trip and see damage.
__________________
Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.
Falkon is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 09:43 AM
  #7  
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA
 
flatlander_48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cathedral City, CA
Posts: 1,501

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Falkon
rent a bike case from your bike shop and use some of the things they get with new bikes. There are plastic pieces that fit in the fork dropouts and rear dropouts. These are important, use em. Carry the wheels on the plane in wheel bags. Unbolt the rear dérailleur and leave it hanging. Unbolt the stem to orient the bars in the best possible way. Turn the fork around backwards if needed. Take off the pedals of course.

If you do this, you should have no problems sending the bike by plane. The airport has a replacement policy if you contact them within five days of trip and see damage.
I agree with unbolting the R/D, but it should be wrapped in something soft or tie it to the frame. You don't want it loose or unprotected so that it can bang around and chip the paint on the frame. I've taken my BreakAway to Asia 7 or 8 times in 18 months. Protect everything and restrain everything. If you do that, the airlines are OK.
flatlander_48 is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 09:59 AM
  #8  
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider
 
spdrcr5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 524

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you do realize that baggage handlers are just as "careful" as FedEX and UPS employees. That means they don't really care too much about how they handle something.

I flew with my MTB to Las Vegas 2 months ago then flew from LA back to NY with it. No damage at all. I flew Southwest and they offer something that no other airline offers... insurance up to $4,050! It cost me only $12.50 for the additional coverage over their normal $2,800 coverage. Not too shabby.

All other airlines only cover up to $500 and many don't even cover a bicycle. If you have renters or home owners insurance then make sure that your bike is covered there.
spdrcr5 is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 10:31 AM
  #9  
N_C
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Falkon
rent a bike case from your bike shop and use some of the things they get with new bikes. There are plastic pieces that fit in the fork dropouts and rear dropouts. These are important, use em. Carry the wheels on the plane in wheel bags. Unbolt the rear dérailleur and leave it hanging. Unbolt the stem to orient the bars in the best possible way. Turn the fork around backwards if needed. Take off the pedals of course.

If you do this, you should have no problems sending the bike by plane. The airport has a replacement policy if you contact them within five days of trip and see damage.
I had an lbs professionaly pack my bike in a box. The put the spacers in the front fork, secured the front wheel, padded the bike, unbolted the handlebars, removed the pedals, plus left the rear rack on for support & stability in the box. A rented bike case is not an option as I have a recumbent. As far as I know they do not exist for recumbents, yet.
N_C is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 03:40 PM
  #10  
N_C
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is going to fly with me. I fly out on Nov. 22. I'll pick it up at the bulk cargo area of Honolulu International Airport when I arrive take it The Bike Shop to be assembled. It will be ready for me on Sat. Nov. 25. I have to change my riding schedule a little bit. Was planning on riding on Thankgiving day but now I'll push out my riding by a day or 2.
N_C is offline  
Old 10-31-06, 04:37 PM
  #11  
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA
 
flatlander_48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cathedral City, CA
Posts: 1,501

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
I had an lbs professionaly pack my bike in a box. The put the spacers in the front fork, secured the front wheel, padded the bike, unbolted the handlebars, removed the pedals, plus left the rear rack on for support & stability in the box. A rented bike case is not an option as I have a recumbent. As far as I know they do not exist for recumbents, yet.
http://crateworks.com/merchant.mvc?S...ode=crateworks

I have a Crate Works regular sized box. I originally bought it several years ago for the mountain bike. Now we use it for my wife's road bike. With an Allen wrench set, a small screwdriver set and a pedal wranch, you should be able to reassemble the bike yourself, if you so choose.
flatlander_48 is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 04:46 AM
  #12  
Radiohead84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also looking into shipping a bike...I am studying abroad in Japan and most likely buying a bike on friday. I came here with one full peice of luggage and half a duffle bag. I am trying to figure out a way to stuff all my stuff into one bag so i can ship the bike home as my second peice of luggage with no fee.
Radiohead84 is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 05:59 AM
  #13  
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA
 
flatlander_48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cathedral City, CA
Posts: 1,501

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radiohead84
I am also looking into shipping a bike...I am studying abroad in Japan and most likely buying a bike on friday. I came here with one full peice of luggage and half a duffle bag. I am trying to figure out a way to stuff all my stuff into one bag so i can ship the bike home as my second peice of luggage with no fee.
That might be a tough sell with the sirlines. I bicycle shipping box, like the Crate Works or Trico, etc. is pretty big.
flatlander_48 is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 06:01 AM
  #14  
Radiohead84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
That might be a tough sell with the sirlines. I bicycle shipping box, like the Crate Works or Trico, etc. is pretty big.
I have checked online on some sites and on the airline...everything I have seen so far has pointed to a yes i can do it for free
Radiohead84 is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 06:34 AM
  #15  
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA
 
flatlander_48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cathedral City, CA
Posts: 1,501

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radiohead84
I have checked online on some sites and on the airline...everything I have seen so far has pointed to a yes i can do it for free
Not with these two...

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/sp...ms.html#sports

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,50773,00.html
flatlander_48 is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 06:46 AM
  #16  
Radiohead84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All reports online I have read have said that if you fly within the US you will get charged...if you fly international they dont. I dont get why...but if you read the graph it deff says US/Cananda expecifically. I hope I am right but you might be as well. 50 pounds wont be a problem but....

Whats the space a bike takes up...62inchs?
Radiohead84 is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 09:06 AM
  #17  
Radiohead84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JUST so everyone knows...UNITED and i think others let you ship your bike as one of your two luggage if you are flying international. As long as you put it in a bike case they will treat it as regular luggage and not charge you any extra for it.
Radiohead84 is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 10:55 AM
  #18  
Pedal Wench
Senior Member
 
Pedal Wench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
The bike is going to fly with me. I fly out on Nov. 22. I'll pick it up at the bulk cargo area of Honolulu International Airport when I arrive take it The Bike Shop to be assembled. It will be ready for me on Sat. Nov. 25. I have to change my riding schedule a little bit. Was planning on riding on Thankgiving day but now I'll push out my riding by a day or 2.
You should be able to put it back together yourself pretty easily. It takes about 30 minutes, max, to build it up after shipping. All I've ever needed was a multi-tool and a pedal wrench. Just hate to see you miss any ride time in Hawaii!
Pedal Wench is offline  
Old 11-01-06, 11:50 AM
  #19  
N_C
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northwest Airlines are going to charge me $80.00 as bulk baggage one way. Not bad considering it would be a lot more via UPS or FedEx.

The seat will be a carry on item. I can imagine the looks on peoples faces now when I am walking through the airport & plane with it.
N_C is offline  
Old 11-02-06, 10:40 PM
  #20  
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
leave the bike at home

put your $160 into surfing lessons or scuba class

You can ride every other day of the year
v1k1ng1001 is offline  
Old 11-03-06, 09:10 AM
  #21  
N_C
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
leave the bike at home

put your $160 into surfing lessons or scuba class

You can ride every other day of the year
I don't think so. I have no intention of getting in the water. Not a good swimmer & when I am in a situation of being toward the bottom of the food chain I tend to stay away. After all you know what they call humans that enter the ocean water don't you? Bait. Yeah, yeah, I know the chances of seeing a shark let alone being attacked by one is less then the chance of being struck by lightening. There are more then just sharks to deal with too. All I have to say about that is I stay inside during severe storms too. Why chance playing with mother nature? She'll win every time you gamble with/against her. I have a healthy respect for mother nature, seen her rath more times then I care to count.

I will visit the toilet bowl which is near hanama(sp) bay & get in the water there, no dangerous wildlife to deal with, like sharks.

I'm a cyclist, not a diver, surfer or swimmer. Besides $160 will get you what? Maybe a half an hour lesson at best.

No I can't ride every other day of the year. I don't ride in the winter time.

Last edited by N_C; 11-03-06 at 09:16 AM.
N_C is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.