Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ads on Bikes (opinions from bikers appreciated)

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ads on Bikes (opinions from bikers appreciated)

Old 09-10-07, 08:06 PM
  #1  
mogiliny
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ads on Bikes (opinions from bikers appreciated)

Hi guys. On my college campus I noticed that there were a lot of bikers to be seen. I counted 30 bikers today at school. And I don't even live on campus. So an average student might see everywhere from 30-100 bikers a day.

Bottom line, how much would you, as a biker, want to be compensated per month to have ads on both sides of your wheels, as shown in the below picture. Would you accept $4 worth of starbucks drinks for everyday of the month as payment? The ads are non-rotating and in now way interfere with your biking.

The logos are not permanent, at the end of each month or week one of my helpers would put on a new logo sticker on each side of the wheel. The stickers/logos would be attached to the discs which are harder to take off. The discs are also NON-rotating.

Any input is greatly appreciated.


Last edited by mogiliny; 09-11-07 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Additional details
mogiliny is offline  
Old 09-10-07, 08:25 PM
  #2  
beoba
hrc.org [=]
 
beoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 67

Bikes: pre-1993 Specialized HardRock, has Suntour derailleurs/shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hard lateral wind can cause issues with steering with that thing on the front wheel.
beoba is offline  
Old 09-10-07, 08:32 PM
  #3  
mogiliny
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beoba View Post
A hard lateral wind can cause issues with steering with that thing on the front wheel.
Thanks for the input. I'd put holes in the discs or find another way to solve the problem. But then again, the bottom link claims that a disc can be better for the bike, but what do I know about this kind of stuff.

http://www.discwheels.com/product.as...FRqWGgodJmeZxA
mogiliny is offline  
Old 09-10-07, 09:35 PM
  #4  
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,652

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I detest Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, their tea sucks, and their other non-coffee drinks are too sweet.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline  
Old 09-10-07, 09:41 PM
  #5  
mogiliny
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb View Post
No, I detest Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, their tea sucks, and their other non-coffee drinks are too sweet.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the logos are not permanent, at the end of each month or week one of my helpers would put on a new logo sticker on each side of the wheel.
mogiliny is offline  
Old 09-10-07, 10:38 PM
  #6  
njm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cambridge, Mass.
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mogiliny View Post
Hi guys. On my college campus I noticed that there were a lot of bikers to be seen. I counted 30 bikers today at school. And I don't even live on campus. So an average student might see everywhere from 30-100 bikers a day.

Bottom line, how much would you, as a biker, want to be compensated per month to have ads on both sides of your wheels, as shown in the below picture. Would you accept $4 worth of starbucks drinks for everyday of the month as payment? The ads are non-rotating and in now way interfere with your biking.

The logos are not permanent, at the end of each month or week one of my helpers would put on a new logo sticker on each side of the wheel. The stickers/logos would be attached to the discs which are harder to take off.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Looks like these guys beat you to it:
http://www.mybikeonline.com/. They put advertising on a piece of plastic in the frame's triangle. I see these bikes once in a while on campus, in Cambridge, Ma., but they aren't as popular as you might think they would be at $100-$200 for a ridable bike, annd $600 for an E-bike.
njm is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 06:46 AM
  #7  
beoba
hrc.org [=]
 
beoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 67

Bikes: pre-1993 Specialized HardRock, has Suntour derailleurs/shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mybikeonline puts the ad in the frame of the bike, rather than in the wheels. Might work better.
beoba is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 07:49 AM
  #8  
njm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cambridge, Mass.
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vpiuva View Post
That's different. The triangle ad bike the rider is paying for/leasing. The OP's concept is that the rider is getting paid for ads on a bike he already owns.
According to the company, you get benefits for riding with the ad:
# Free delivery
# 1 year access to free pickup and delivery bike service*
# 6 free maintenance requests**
# 1 year warranty on parts and labor***
# Zero liability for a stolen bike
# 90 days of free on site maintenance****
# 1 free tune-up in first year
We could argue about whether these benefits are worth it, etc., but the company claims that the advertising allows for reduced costs to the consumer, and the consumers who sign up accept that, I guess.

njm is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 08:32 AM
  #9  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mogiliny View Post

Dude is on a cellphone?!?!?!? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 08:51 AM
  #10  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,829

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the photo, how did the Starbuck's get perfectly aligned on both wheels at the same time?
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 08:57 AM
  #11  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,673

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6145 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb View Post
No, I detest Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, their tea sucks, and their other non-coffee drinks are too sweet.
You forgot overpriced, bitter, and slow service.
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 09:10 AM
  #12  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
On the photo, how did the Starbuck's get perfectly aligned on both wheels at the same time?
Photoshop
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 09:51 AM
  #13  
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze
 
I_bRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cooper Ontario
Posts: 3,700

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much do I have to pay to not see ads everywhere I look?
I_bRAD is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 10:29 AM
  #14  
mogiliny
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Photoshop
And also, remember that the discs are non-rotating.
mogiliny is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 11:05 AM
  #15  
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Posts: 2,973

Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD View Post
How much do I have to pay to not see ads everywhere I look?
Yes.

You couldn't pay me enough to clip a couple of ugly, heavy (they'd have to be to facilitate the non-rotating part), wind-catching billboards onto my wheels, even if it were for a company I didn't mildly despise.

Advertising is a pox upon this land, why would you seek to spread the disease?
__________________
x136 is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 11:13 AM
  #16  
mogiliny
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Yes.

You couldn't pay me enough to clip a couple of ugly, heavy (they'd have to be to facilitate the non-rotating part), wind-catching billboards onto my wheels, even if it were for a company I didn't mildly despise.

Advertising is a pox upon this land, why would you seek to spread the disease?

Thank you for your input. The discs would not be heavy at all. Each disc would be connected to an anti-friction bearing. And to make the disc not move, there would be a little connection between the pole of the bike and the disk itself.

And guys, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible here. Please just assume from the picture that everything is designed to be safe. These discs haven't even been realized yet. A lot of research has to go into this to make this a reality, with safety being a top concern.

Advertising is a necessity to the economy. And anything that can help businesses attract more customers serves not only to help them, but to help consumers (ex, lower prices).

Last edited by mogiliny; 09-11-07 at 11:27 AM.
mogiliny is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 11:16 AM
  #17  
seosamh
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wouldnae be me anyhow....
seosamh is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 12:12 PM
  #18  
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!
 
SamHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rural Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,352

Bikes: Various by application

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mogiliny View Post

Advertising is a necessity to the economy. And anything that can help businesses attract more customers serves not only to help them, but to help consumers (ex, lower prices).
Personally I believe advertising is a manufactured necessity to the economy, but that aside, I'll help an agency that has interests intersecting with my own.

Here's a company in Toronto putting ads on the street, sidewalk (parked bikes) and, most effectively IMO, in elevators and corporate offices. Their ads appear on bicycles and on messenger bags.

Toronto Messenger Advertising Alliance

Getting the ads into elevators is mucho effective IMO, a captive audience is an ad man's wet dream.
SamHouston is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 12:14 PM
  #19  
dusted
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id rock em at 5$ a day. Or $.20 a mile. (about $150.00 a month)

You can put whatever you want on there too.

Hell I would tow around a trailer with a billboard on it all day for the right price.
dusted is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 12:31 PM
  #20  
mogiliny
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
Personally I believe advertising is a manufactured necessity to the economy, but that aside, I'll help an agency that has interests intersecting with my own.

Here's a company in Toronto putting ads on the street, sidewalk (parked bikes) and, most effectively IMO, in elevators and corporate offices. Their ads appear on bicycles and on messenger bags.

Toronto Messenger Advertising Alliance

Getting the ads into elevators is mucho effective IMO, a captive audience is an ad man's wet dream.
Thanks a lot for the reply. This company you mentioned would definitely help in writing my business plan. The only other company that I found on the internet which does bike ads is a Chinese one. Needless to say, some of their bike ads are an eye sore:

mogiliny is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 12:34 PM
  #21  
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!
 
SamHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rural Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,352

Bikes: Various by application

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mogiliny View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply. This company you mentioned would definitely help in writing my business plan. The only other company that I found on the internet which does bike ads is a Chinese one. Needless to say, some of their bike ads are an eye sore:

no problem,

great picture, but I don't think I'd like to ride behind one of those box bikes!
SamHouston is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 12:37 PM
  #22  
why2not
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in college days, I'd have done it in my commuter for $10/week. Now, you couldn't afford it.
why2not is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 12:52 PM
  #23  
dusted
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Business plan:

Advertise for a beer company. Pay college kids in beer. College kids look like this --> You look like this --> $$
dusted is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 01:59 PM
  #24  
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd
 
Mr. Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mid- Michigan
Posts: 579

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be willing to do this for $50 a month or so. As an experienced rider who runs a disc wheel for TT racing and triathlon I'd say no to a disc on the front wheel however.
Mr. Jim is offline  
Old 09-11-07, 02:06 PM
  #25  
mogiliny
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim View Post
I'd be willing to do this for $50 a month or so. As an experienced rider who runs a disc wheel for TT racing and triathlon I'd say no to a disc on the front wheel however.
Thanks for replying, I'm going to be doing extensive research to see if I can make the front discs not be susceptible to wind turbulence.
mogiliny is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.