Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who's ridden with a broken piggy?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Who's ridden with a broken piggy?

Old 03-10-08, 03:41 PM
  #1  
zoeglassjd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zoeglassjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's ridden with a broken piggy?

I'm 90% certain I actually broke my toe last night in a soccer match. When I was young I would grit my teeth and ride anyway (which felt good compared to cramming my feet into wicked-small climbing shoes).

As I am older, wiser, and more of a wus when it comes to pain I am wondering who has ridden with a broken pedal digit and are there things you have done to make it more tolerable.

Also, I am assuming that riding will prolong the healing process.
zoeglassjd is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 04:11 PM
  #2  
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 3,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's the little piggy that went to market, you're probably in for some discomfort. My wife did that one a few years ago, and it was a fairly big deal. She practically had to learn to walk again (it was a serious smash, not just a little crack).
I've broken both little piggies that cried wee wee, and after the swelling went down, it wasn't that big a deal. You may be able to tape the affected toe to the one next to it for support, which helps. My doctors didn't splint me or do anything like that either time, just told me to take it easy. I'm guessing at this, but based on my case, bike shoes might be stiff enough to support the foot so you could ride without much trouble if you don't go hard.
Velo Dog is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 04:34 PM
  #3  
zoeglassjd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zoeglassjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its actually the piggy that stayed home. I hear that the little and big ones are the worst as far as long term problems with balance. I was looking at my two set of shoes and I am thinking the road shoes are so stiff riding may be more comfy than walking about. I will try the taping it to the piggy that went to the market.
zoeglassjd is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 04:44 PM
  #4  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,007

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3157 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 249 Posts
June 7, 1997.

AM - Machka runs her foot into the leg of her drafting table. After about 15 minutes, when the agonizing pain subsided to a tolerable level, she chooses the stiffest soled shoes she had (happened to be her cycling runners at the time), and goes to work, limping all day long.

PM - A friend suggests a ride after work and Machka agrees figuring that her foot will be in the stiff-soled shoe and should be OK.

The ride starts well, and the toe feels OK, but partway through, her friend comes to a sudden stop, and Machka runs right into him. Rather than dropping her left foot, the one with the broken toe, which would have prevented any further injury, her brain tells her to leave that foot where it is ... that dropping it would cause pain. Machka falls on her left side ... directly on her rib cage (left side), cracking her ribs.

At the clinic, the Drs tell Machka that they can't do anything for the cracked ribs, and that they'll tape the toe. And then they notice a tiny scrape on the skin of the toe. "When was the last time you had a tetanus shot?" They ask. Machka hesitates. Out comes the needle and before Machka can protest, they've given her the shot in her left arm.

Now Machka's left toe, left rib cage, and left arm are all in pain. The last thing the Drs call out to her as she leaves is, "Don't forget to breathe!"

So ... riding with the broken toe might not be a problem. Just be very, very careful out there!
Machka is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 04:55 PM
  #5  
zoeglassjd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zoeglassjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
June 7, 1997.

AM - Machka runs her foot into the leg of her drafting table. After about 15 minutes, when the agonizing pain subsided to a tolerable level, she chooses the stiffest soled shoes she had (happened to be her cycling runners at the time), and goes to work, limping all day long.

PM - A friend suggests a ride after work and Machka agrees figuring that her foot will be in the stiff-soled shoe and should be OK.

The ride starts well, and the toe feels OK, but partway through, her friend comes to a sudden stop, and Machka runs right into him. Rather than dropping her left foot, the one with the broken toe, which would have prevented any further injury, her brain tells her to leave that foot where it is ... that dropping it would cause pain. Machka falls on her left side ... directly on her rib cage (left side), cracking her ribs.

At the clinic, the Drs tell Machka that they can't do anything for the cracked ribs, and that they'll tape the toe. And then they notice a tiny scrape on the skin of the toe. "When was the last time you had a tetanus shot?" They ask. Machka hesitates. Out comes the needle and before Machka can protest, they've given her the shot in her left arm.

Now Machka's left toe, left rib cage, and left arm are all in pain. The last thing the Drs call out to her as she leaves is, "Don't forget to breathe!"

So ... riding with the broken toe might not be a problem. Just be very, very careful out there!
Less encouraging than I hoped for, yet entertaining points made up for it. Why a tetnus for cracked ribs?
zoeglassjd is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 05:00 PM
  #6  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,007

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3157 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by zoeglassjd View Post
Less encouraging than I hoped for, yet entertaining points made up for it. Why a tetnus for cracked ribs?
The tetanus was for the tiny scrape on my toe incurred when I rammed it into the drafting table. They saw that and pounced! Maybe they had to meet a certain quota of tetanus shots.
Machka is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 05:07 PM
  #7  
zoeglassjd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zoeglassjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"They" love giving the T-Shot. I finally had a physical this year and the doc asked me how long since my last tetnus shot. I replied that I have been telling doctors that it has been 8 years for the past 15 years.

I thought I'd get it over with!
zoeglassjd is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 08:16 PM
  #8  
coldfeet
Senior Member
 
coldfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
June 7, 1997.

AM - Machka runs her foot into the leg of her drafting table. After about 15 minutes, when the agonizing pain subsided to a tolerable level, she chooses the stiffest soled shoes she had (happened to be her cycling runners at the time), and goes to work, limping all day long.

PM - A friend suggests a ride after work and Machka agrees figuring that her foot will be in the stiff-soled shoe and should be OK.

The ride starts well, and the toe feels OK, but partway through, her friend comes to a sudden stop, and Machka runs right into him. Rather than dropping her left foot, the one with the broken toe, which would have prevented any further injury, her brain tells her to leave that foot where it is ... that dropping it would cause pain. Machka falls on her left side ... directly on her rib cage (left side), cracking her ribs.

At the clinic, the Drs tell Machka that they can't do anything for the cracked ribs, and that they'll tape the toe. And then they notice a tiny scrape on the skin of the toe. "When was the last time you had a tetanus shot?" They ask. Machka hesitates. Out comes the needle and before Machka can protest, they've given her the shot in her left arm.

Now Machka's left toe, left rib cage, and left arm are all in pain. The last thing the Drs call out to her as she leaves is, "Don't forget to breathe!"

So ... riding with the broken toe might not be a problem. Just be very, very careful out there!
Oh, Machka! I winced for you! ( Also chuckled, sorry ) I got a T-shot which involved the nurse ostentatiously
prepping the HUGE syringe, while the Doc snuck up ( behind ) with the ( separate ) needle!

Also, a seperated rib may hurt less, but it sure hurts longer!
coldfeet is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 11:23 PM
  #9  
RobertHurst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by zoeglassjd View Post
I'm 90% certain I actually broke my toe last night in a soccer match. When I was young I would grit my teeth and ride anyway (which felt good compared to cramming my feet into wicked-small climbing shoes).

As I am older, wiser, and more of a wus when it comes to pain I am wondering who has ridden with a broken pedal digit and are there things you have done to make it more tolerable.

Also, I am assuming that riding will prolong the healing process.
I broke my big toe this winter, while running up my stairs at home in my socks. Idiot! Riding was not easy for a few weeks, but it was much easier than walking, which I would characterize as very uncomfortable. Standing up on the bike was less tolerable than sitting. You may be right about prolonging the healing process. There were a few times when I stepped off the bike onto the bad side and it felt like I actually re-broke the toe that was on its way to healing. Once at a stoplight and once stepping off the rollers. Extremely painful, much worse than the original event. I would say that is the biggest thing to watch out for if you're going to ride while your toe is healing, having to step off the bike quickly and awkwardly for some reason onto your bad toe. Your bad toe will not appreciate that.

Note: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Robert
RobertHurst is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 12:37 AM
  #10  
GlassWolf
cat person
 
GlassWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N.W. Michigan
Posts: 509

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode on a trainer with a severe foot fracture. The increased circulation seemed to aid the recovery time actually, although I have foot issues anyway due to diabetes. My Podiatrist wasn't too amused, but it seemed to work for me.
GlassWolf is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.