Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Old 08-31-21, 01:56 PM
  #251  
Ishamael
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 21

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki International, 198(?) Kuwahara Apollo Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
It's a combination of things for me. Partially, I just like the look of older bikes more than modern ones. I also just really like the idea of finding something old, fixing it up and giving it new life. I think I've always just liked older technology. I use my Pentax K1000 more than my DSLR, I play my Sega Genesis more than my PS4, and I like older steel framed bikes more than modern ones. I think I'd also struggle to spend more than $500 on a bike. $500 goes a lot further on a vintage bike than a new one.
Ishamael is offline  
Old 08-31-21, 01:57 PM
  #252  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,922

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 551 Posts
My GURU Sidero is steel but not old. I got it new about 5 yrs ago. I have fit it with SRAM Red 10 sp mechanical, Mavic USTs and Speedplay Zeros so it weighs approx. 17 lbs 10 oz. It is what some would call a "square 55" or 55 frame and 55 TT. It fits me perfectly and the ride is quick steering but very comfortable. I ride it because I love it.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 08-31-21, 02:32 PM
  #253  
shelbyfv 
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 9,207
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 2,890 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Way to quote a 9+ year old post, spanky.

He'll chime in again in another 9 years. Oh, sorry, I guess not likely ....
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 08-31-21, 02:51 PM
  #254  
drlogik 
Senior Member
 
drlogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,400

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 127 Posts
Who knows, in 200 years cycling may go full circle.....




or this......



Is the person who invented the Velocipede (old bike above) still alive???




--

Last edited by drlogik; 08-31-21 at 03:00 PM.
drlogik is offline  
Likes For drlogik:
Old 08-31-21, 10:51 PM
  #255  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,401

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 543 Posts
I like my 1985 - early 1990's steel frame bikes for their looks and the fact that most of them fit me well and are comfortable. I do have one where the frame is the maximum size I can ride but it's still a great bike = Miyata Seven Ten. I don't see any reason to get rid of those bikes for a newer one as I don't need the performance difference of a new bike.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-01-21, 12:49 AM
  #256  
jleeg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dauphin, PA
Posts: 86

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 37 Posts
Steel 40 years ago and steel today. I ride the newer on much more often because of gearing and ergo shifting.


Built for me by Rodney.

I purchased some stainless steel
jleeg is offline  
Likes For jleeg:
Old 09-01-21, 08:25 AM
  #257  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 4,382

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 271 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg View Post
Steel 40 years ago and steel today. I ride the newer on much more often because of gearing and ergo shifting.


Built for me by Rodney.

I purchased some stainless steel


This has just set my heart aflutter !


But how on earth does it even stop or shift without disc's and with those pesky cables ?
DMC707 is offline  
Old 09-01-21, 06:26 PM
  #258  
GamblerGORD53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
Posts: 1,748

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 93 Posts
Mine isn't pretty, light or fast, but does a 100 miles with EASE.
Plus it's 100% reliable and absolutely silent and the most comfortable ride I've had.
How the multi use bikes for real people used to be.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-01-21 at 06:30 PM.
GamblerGORD53 is offline  
Old 09-01-21, 06:36 PM
  #259  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53 View Post
Mine isn't pretty, light or fast, but does a 100 miles with EASE.
Plus it's 100% reliable and absolutely silent and the most comfortable ride I've had.
How the multi use bikes for real people used to be.
Doing 100 miles on that bike is impressive to say the least.
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-01-21, 06:49 PM
  #260  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,543

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 522 Posts
Why do I ride my old(est) steel bike? One word: nostalgia. We covered 10s of thousands of miles together and getting rid of it would be like being unfaithful. (As it hangs with my other bikes)
__________________
Rick S

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche. “An argument based reasoned fact, beats one based on emotional rantings every time” Anon





rsbob is offline  
Old 09-02-21, 12:54 PM
  #261  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 268 Posts
I was gonna say I ride old steel frame bikes just to be naughty.

But the truth is that they just still work great and I’m too cheap to replace good stuff without need. 😊

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-02-21, 02:21 PM
  #262  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,647

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyLegnano View Post
There are wonderful carbon road bikes or even high end aluminium ones that feels like a breeze in your legs. They are fast, agile, reliable and super responsive. The look manly and futuristic and you are getting cool points just by riding them. Some though, choose to ride beat up, heavy oldschool road bikes instead. Why?

Please express yourself.

I ride them because I feel like they are my adoptees. I took them almost dead and with some work & a little bit of live now they are happy and alive again. And also because each one has a history to tell
What makes you think my old steel bikes are heavy, non-agile, unreliable, non-responsive, beat-up and unmanly? And as far as breeze between my legs, you can't see that I need to wear thermal cycling shorts under my Lycra ones! I'd say your argument is starting out based on bad assumptions, lol!
Road Fan is offline  
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-02-21, 07:42 PM
  #263  
Flatforkcrown
Senior Member
 
Flatforkcrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Barboursville, Va
Posts: 171

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 83 Posts
I mean, if you’re not racing and you think a good SLX bike is too heavy maybe you just need to ride more. I’m not pro, and until I am my vintage de Rosa isn’t what’s holding me back.
Flatforkcrown is offline  
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 09-02-21, 08:09 PM
  #264  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,075
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13764 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 3,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
What makes you think my old steel bikes are heavy, non-agile, unreliable, non-responsive, beat-up and unmanly? And as far as breeze between my legs, you can't see that I need to wear thermal cycling shorts under my Lycra ones! I'd say your argument is starting out based on bad assumptions, lol!
Here is what you wrote about this thread many years ago:
“I like how most dead horses and blatant troll threads end up as galleries of great bikes”

I smell a stinky sock.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-02-21 at 08:18 PM.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-02-21, 08:43 PM
  #265  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,647

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 232 Posts
The thread was woken up at post #238 out of 264. I didn't wake it up.

I think I'm missing your point. My recent comment does not contradict my earlier one, as I see it. I'm guessing you see a problem of some sort, and I don't see it. I have never appreciated the assumption we are expected to use what is new just because it is new.

And just ti admit, since I'm retired I don't wash my socks as often as I used to. If you live close enough to me to have actually noticed, pm me and introduce yourself, we'll have a beer and I'll have clean socks on!
Road Fan is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 08:48 AM
  #266  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,890

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown View Post
I mean, if you’re not racing and you think a good SLX bike is too heavy maybe you just need to ride more. I’m not pro, and until I am my vintage de Rosa isn’t what’s holding me back.
So, so true. I realized this years ago after perusing 7 years of my daily bike logs. I found that I wasn't any faster on my two carbon fiber bikes. In fact, on most longer rides I was faster on the steel ones. So I did a bunch of back to back centuries over the same route for a period of time comparing the bikes and how I felt during each ride. I was faster on the various steel bikes and felt fresher with more energy at the end of the rides I did on steel. I surmise this is from how beat up I'd get on the stiff C.F. bikes riding so many miles on our crappy chipseal.

In fact I'm sort of in the process right now of proving that it's more about the rider than the bike. I've set a goal of riding each of my twenty some road bike over the same basic roads for at least my shortest 24 mile route while maintaining a better than 19 mph avg. That means the old man has to go all out for the ride to keep that pace. So far I've got 10 bikes I've done it on for distances from 24 to 42 miles. The bikes range from a 1985 steel Fuji Opus III to a 1996 aluminum Klein Quantum II to a 1999 carbon fiber Trek Y-Foil. The Opus has a 53/42 7 speed DT shifting setup, the Klein is a mix of Campagnolo 53/39 10 speed Ergolever setup, and the Y-77 is 50/34 Shimano STI setup. Old tubulars on the Opus, Kyserium SLs on the Klein, and Reynolds 46 carbon fiber clinchers on the Y-Foil. The other 7 bikes to meet the goal so far are various steel bikes of various ages. Unless you are a pro riding at the very edge of the best in performance and power the bike is not the limiting factor.

So I ride steel because it doesn't hold me back, and I can buy so many wonderful old bikes for price of one modern C.F. bike, and because it's so fun to blast by the youngsters on their C.F. "wonder bikes" as they work a paceline. This old man can still string together four or 5 miles at a 24-25 mph avg effort which is usually good enough to drop any group of riders around here. Good fun and makes for a harder workout, LOL! Extra fun when I'm on my pink steel bike all decked out in hot pink. Imagine a fat old man, in pink, on an old pink steel bike, blowing by and dropping your group. Great fun!
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-03-21, 09:05 AM
  #267  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,723

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
So, so true. I realized this years ago after perusing 7 years of my daily bike logs. I found that I wasn't any faster on my two carbon fiber bikes. In fact, on most longer rides I was faster on the steel ones. So I did a bunch of back to back centuries over the same route for a period of time comparing the bikes and how I felt during each ride. I was faster on the various steel bikes and felt fresher with more energy at the end of the rides I did on steel. I surmise this is from how beat up I'd get on the stiff C.F. bikes riding so many miles on our crappy chipseal.

In fact I'm sort of in the process right now of proving that it's more about the rider than the bike. I've set a goal of riding each of my twenty some road bike over the same basic roads for at least my shortest 24 mile route while maintaining a better than 19 mph avg. That means the old man has to go all out for the ride to keep that pace. So far I've got 10 bikes I've done it on for distances from 24 to 42 miles. The bikes range from a 1985 steel Fuji Opus III to a 1996 aluminum Klein Quantum II to a 1999 carbon fiber Trek Y-Foil. The Opus has a 53/42 7 speed DT shifting setup, the Klein is a mix of Campagnolo 53/39 10 speed Ergolever setup, and the Y-77 is 50/34 Shimano STI setup. Old tubulars on the Opus, Kyserium SLs on the Klein, and Reynolds 46 carbon fiber clinchers on the Y-Foil. The other 7 bikes to meet the goal so far are various steel bikes of various ages. Unless you are a pro riding at the very edge of the best in performance and power the bike is not the limiting factor.

So I ride steel because it doesn't hold me back, and I can buy so many wonderful old bikes for price of one modern C.F. bike, and because it's so fun to blast by the youngsters on their C.F. "wonder bikes" as they work a paceline. This old man can still string together four or 5 miles at a 24-25 mph avg effort which is usually good enough to drop any group of riders around here. Good fun and makes for a harder workout, LOL! Extra fun when I'm on my pink steel bike all decked out in hot pink. Imagine a fat old man, in pink, on an old pink steel bike, blowing by and dropping your group. Great fun!
Strava or it didn’t happen.
chaadster is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 09:09 AM
  #268  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,890

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Strava or it didn’t happen.
No problem, all my rides from the past 3 or 4 years are on Strava. You just have to find them, LOL!!!

I just pulled down my lightest steel bike and retaped the tapping valvestems that are so annoying. This is the one I'll make the attempt on today. I better pull it off too since this is one of the few bikes I got a little crazy on the parts with.


Proof that even 90's steel can be light. 17 lbs 15 ozs as in this picture. Lighter wheels, C.F. fork and handlebars and I bet it would be in the 16 lb range. I could easily drop 3 or 4 ozs getting rid of the Kurve saddle but it's too comfortable for that silliness.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-03-21 at 09:16 AM.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-03-21, 10:44 AM
  #269  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,170 Posts
Steel frames are back in style. If a bike model comes in steel and aluminum versions, the steel version is usually more expensive. Kona does this, just as one example
unterhausen is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 11:21 AM
  #270  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
So, so true. I realized this years ago after perusing 7 years of my daily bike logs. I found that I wasn't any faster on my two carbon fiber bikes. In fact, on most longer rides I was faster on the steel ones. So I did a bunch of back to back centuries over the same route for a period of time comparing the bikes and how I felt during each ride. I was faster on the various steel bikes and felt fresher with more energy at the end of the rides I did on steel. I surmise this is from how beat up I'd get on the stiff C.F. bikes riding so many miles on our crappy chipseal.

In fact I'm sort of in the process right now of proving that it's more about the rider than the bike. I've set a goal of riding each of my twenty some road bike over the same basic roads for at least my shortest 24 mile route while maintaining a better than 19 mph avg. That means the old man has to go all out for the ride to keep that pace. So far I've got 10 bikes I've done it on for distances from 24 to 42 miles. The bikes range from a 1985 steel Fuji Opus III to a 1996 aluminum Klein Quantum II to a 1999 carbon fiber Trek Y-Foil. The Opus has a 53/42 7 speed DT shifting setup, the Klein is a mix of Campagnolo 53/39 10 speed Ergolever setup, and the Y-77 is 50/34 Shimano STI setup. Old tubulars on the Opus, Kyserium SLs on the Klein, and Reynolds 46 carbon fiber clinchers on the Y-Foil. The other 7 bikes to meet the goal so far are various steel bikes of various ages. Unless you are a pro riding at the very edge of the best in performance and power the bike is not the limiting factor.

So I ride steel because it doesn't hold me back, and I can buy so many wonderful old bikes for price of one modern C.F. bike, and because it's so fun to blast by the youngsters on their C.F. "wonder bikes" as they work a paceline. This old man can still string together four or 5 miles at a 24-25 mph avg effort which is usually good enough to drop any group of riders around here. Good fun and makes for a harder workout, LOL! Extra fun when I'm on my pink steel bike all decked out in hot pink. Imagine a fat old man, in pink, on an old pink steel bike, blowing by and dropping your group. Great fun!
For it to be a race both parties have to be aware that it is one.
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-03-21, 12:18 PM
  #271  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,834

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3469 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
For it to be a race both parties have to be aware that it is one.
So all the times I've crushed my unknowing competition don't count? How disappointing!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-03-21, 12:53 PM
  #272  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,890

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
For it to be a race both parties have to be aware that it is one.
Well,, duh.... LOL!!

Of course one of the funniest moments was after I caught up to a couple of guys working together. One older like me and a youngter. Talked with the older guy for a minute or two when I went up alongside and he was cool. Said they had been trying to keep in front of me since he had seen me coming a couple of miles earlier. Then as I took off again I heard the younger guy say something I couldn't make out. I clearly heard the older guy say, "shut up, he caught your ass on that pink bike". LOL! I will admit about a mile after leaving them behind I had the chain jam in my RD and found a rare cracked pulley. This was an old Dura Ace 6 speed setup. Had to back off and ease the bike home the rest of that ride.

Or even this year on a ride about a month ago. Four team guys turned in behind me just as I was starting back up from stopping a second to grab a snack. They asked to tag along and I said sure but that I was about to do a speed segment until the Chevron, right about 4.5 miles. I took off, they took off, dropped the first two 1/2 mile later and the remaining guys dropped about another mile.

Of course, I really don't care if they "know it's a race" or not. That's not the real point for me. The real point is just me finding an excuse to push my pace for a few miles. Still I can give you plenty of instances where I'm knowingly playing with others and dropping them. I can also give you plenty of instances where others are dropping me. Including the little pony tailed blonde lady that leaves me behind in the mountains all the time no matter what bike I'm on.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 08:25 PM
  #273  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,723

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I can also give you plenty of instances
Strava or it didn’t happen.
chaadster is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 08:32 PM
  #274  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,890

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Strava or it didn’t happen.
LOL, well at least your responses are sooooooo original.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 09-03-21, 08:37 PM
  #275  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,723

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
LOL, well at least your responses are sooooooo original.
  • You’re the one who claimed to be “proving” something, so why not ditch the cheap braggadocio and post some data so we can see how much faster and fresher you are on vintage steel than modern carbon fiber?
chaadster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.