Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clueless as to what chain to buy.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clueless as to what chain to buy.

Old 10-11-12, 01:53 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clueless as to what chain to buy.

So I just bought a used road bike https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...e#.UHcf5MXA9TI and I am loving it. I took it to the shop to get it looked over and was told my chain is stretched and as a result the cogs are worn down and probably only have a month left. They want 85 bucks to put their chain and cogs on my bike and have no variety to choose from. Just a drawer of stuff I don't really know anything about. So I tried to look online for a replacement of the original chain my bike came with (Shimano CN-HG92, 1/2 x 3/32") but I guess they no longer make this.

So now I come to you fine folks. Can I get some recommendations on some long lasting smooth shifting chains and some quality cogs? Also, any recommendations in general I should throw on my new bike is appreciated (not sure I like my current drop bars they seem too narrow for me and I definitely need some new hood covers for my brake/shift levers).

Thanks all in advance!
Angry_Eeyore is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 02:30 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
demoncyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Medway, MA
Posts: 2,727

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Shimano or SRAM 9-speed road cassette will work fine. For chains, any 9-speed Shimano, SRAM, KMC or Wippermann would also work fine.
demoncyclist is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 02:32 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,550

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
Any Shimano or SRAM 9-speed road cassette will work fine. For chains, any 9-speed Shimano, SRAM, KMC or Wippermann would also work fine.
^^^This.
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 02:48 PM
  #4  
Artificial Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 7,159

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,570 Times in 3,281 Posts
That's a 9 speed chain. Shimano, Wipperman and KMC make them. Not to start a "what chain is better" thread my advice is to buy a KMC X9 chain. Tree Fort has it for $15. https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...ilver-and.html and so does Universal https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...47&category=60.

They have replacements your cassette or cogs too probably. https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...06&category=41

That's just what a quick Google search turned up. Maybe you can find another retailer for the product.

If you are going to do the job yourself you will need some tools to break the extra links off. Most of the KMC chains come with a nice easy to remove link so after you get the chain the proper length you won't need it until you need another new chain.

If you have worn cogs and you put new chain on them the chain will jump under load. This is very disconcerting to the rider I know from personal experience.

If you are going to service the cassette you will need the cassette lock ring remover and a chainwhip to hold the casstte while you remove the lock.

$85 isn't highway robbery for this. You could spend well over that buying the parts and tooling up. Of course after you have tooled up it will be a lot cheaper next time.
__________________
ahsposo is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 03:11 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
That's a 9 speed chain. Shimano, Wipperman and KMC make them. Not to start a "what chain is better" thread my advice is to buy a KMC X9 chain. Tree Fort has it for $15. https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...ilver-and.html and so does Universal https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...47&category=60.

They have replacements your cassette or cogs too probably. https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...06&category=41

That's just what a quick Google search turned up. Maybe you can find another retailer for the product.

If you are going to do the job yourself you will need some tools to break the extra links off. Most of the KMC chains come with a nice easy to remove link so after you get the chain the proper length you won't need it until you need another new chain.

If you have worn cogs and you put new chain on them the chain will jump under load. This is very disconcerting to the rider I know from personal experience.

If you are going to service the cassette you will need the cassette lock ring remover and a chainwhip to hold the casstte while you remove the lock.

$85 isn't highway robbery for this. You could spend well over that buying the parts and tooling up. Of course after you have tooled up it will be a lot cheaper next time.
Awesome. Thanks for the links I will be grabbing that chain. One last question is what sort of hood covers should I be looking for to replace the used grimy ones mine came with? I am trying to google search it but there are so many model numbers and specifics it is throwing me off. I would definitely like something with some color to it as well :]
Angry_Eeyore is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 03:14 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,225

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
That's a 9 speed chain. Shimano, Wipperman and KMC make them. Not to start a "what chain is better" thread my advice is to buy a KMC X9 chain. Tree Fort has it for $15. https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...ilver-and.html and so does Universal https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...47&category=60.

They have replacements your cassette or cogs too probably. https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...06&category=41

That's just what a quick Google search turned up. Maybe you can find another retailer for the product.

If you are going to do the job yourself you will need some tools to break the extra links off. Most of the KMC chains come with a nice easy to remove link so after you get the chain the proper length you won't need it until you need another new chain.

If you have worn cogs and you put new chain on them the chain will jump under load. This is very disconcerting to the rider I know from personal experience.

If you are going to service the cassette you will need the cassette lock ring remover and a chainwhip to hold the casstte while you remove the lock.

$85 isn't highway robbery for this. You could spend well over that buying the parts and tooling up. Of course after you have tooled up it will be a lot cheaper next time.
^^^^ What he said.

Also, has anybody else told you yet that's a really nice bike? Check the seat tube sticker to see if it's a Chehalis, Wa. built bike. That greatly adds to the panache.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 03:22 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex
Posts: 5,058

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
everything you need to know and were afraid to ask.

https://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 04:01 PM
  #8  
Artificial Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 7,159

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,570 Times in 3,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry_Eeyore
Awesome. Thanks for the links I will be grabbing that chain. One last question is what sort of hood covers should I be looking for to replace the used grimy ones mine came with? I am trying to google search it but there are so many model numbers and specifics it is throwing me off. I would definitely like something with some color to it as well :]
I searched Universal for "hoods" and came up a range. Not knowing Shimano all that well I'm not sure if you need the one-button or two or if it makes a difference.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=31548

For color there's a company called Huudz (I think). I know they are available. Google will help.
__________________
ahsposo is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 05:47 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,225

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Not knowing Shimano all that well I'm not sure if you need the one-button or two or if it makes a difference.
One button or two only matters if you are using a Flight Deck bike computer in which case they have to match your computer wire harness. Interestingly, the 'brifters themselves are the same whether they have two buttons on the right or one button on each.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 06:12 PM
  #10  
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Get one of these

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...82&cagpspn=pla

Since the bike is used, for the first fo around I would replace both chain and cassette. The pair should not cost more than $60-$80.



And you can measure it yourself.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 06:58 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 182
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hijack, but I have similar question which I don't think is worthy of it's own thread.
I also need a chain. I put a compact crank set from a 10 speed bike on a bike with 9 speed 105 components. Do I get a 9 speed chain or a 10 speed chain? I guess the main difference would be the 10 speed if a little narrower so might have less clearance issues?
lhorn is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 07:17 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,225

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by lhorn
Sorry to hijack, but I have similar question which I don't think is worthy of it's own thread.
I also need a chain. I put a compact crank set from a 10 speed bike on a bike with 9 speed 105 components. Do I get a 9 speed chain or a 10 speed chain? I guess the main difference would be the 10 speed if a little narrower so might have less clearance issues?
I don't know for sure.

I was shopping for a crankset around a year ago. Many of the 10-speed cranksets that I looked at had a warning to use only 10-speed chains. I don't know if the difference is chainring thickness or spacing or what. Ultimately the crankset that I bought wasn't designed for 10-speed so I don't know if a 9-speed chain will work adequately or not.

If I had a 9-speed chain lying around, I'd give it a try and see if I could make it work. If I were buying a new chain, I dthink that I'd get the 10-speed chain that I know will work. The rear derailleur guides the chain by the center so I doubt the slightly narrower 10-speed chain will cause a problem.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
podium2
Bicycle Mechanics
6
09-17-13 09:48 PM
wack70
Bicycle Mechanics
32
08-28-13 01:15 PM
Donzie
Bicycle Mechanics
6
09-23-12 07:13 AM
gemkstar
Bicycle Mechanics
7
03-08-12 08:42 AM
alanf
Bicycle Mechanics
12
01-07-12 09:07 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.