General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle capital of the world.

Old 02-09-05, 07:07 PM
  #1  
allgoo19
Deported by koffee
Thread Starter
 
allgoo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle capital of the world.

No, it's not Holland. It seems to be Japanese who buy and use the most bicycle.

'Sales figures attest to the growing popularity of bicycles. The number of bicycles sold in Japan increased from 8.2 million in 1991 to 11.3 million in 2001 - almost 40% growth in 10 years. Of all the bicycles made worldwide, 10% are sold in Japan. Imported bicycles are riding the crest of the popularity wave: They had a 63% share (7.1 million bikes) of the sales in 2001, and this share has been growing."

Read on..

http://web-japan.org/trends01/articl...soc_index.html
allgoo19 is offline  
Old 02-09-05, 07:24 PM
  #2  
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,874

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, I would have guessed China or India. BTW India use to have the lagest bicycle factories in the world (by volume of bikes made), could still be true.
Shifty is offline  
Old 02-09-05, 07:26 PM
  #3  
hillyman 
Giddy Up
 
hillyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Truckin all 48 States
Posts: 1,493

Bikes: MONTAGUE X70

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
This wooden bike at the link is pretty neat!
__________________
www.hillyhundred.org
hillyman is offline  
Old 02-09-05, 07:42 PM
  #4  
allgoo19
Deported by koffee
Thread Starter
 
allgoo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another report contradicts the first one.

http://www.bikecult.com/bikecultbook/cycles_stats.html

Shifty's guess was right in this.

Edit: This report is old.

Last edited by allgoo19; 02-09-05 at 07:56 PM.
allgoo19 is offline  
Old 02-09-05, 08:20 PM
  #5  
alanbikehouston
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike building and bike riding are two different issues. Holland is not one of the "bike building" leaders, but a majority of adults ride bikes on a regular basis. The Japanese bike industry has come under attack by cheap communist Chinese made bikes, and so bike production in Japan is declining. But, a high percentage of Japanese adults continue to ride bikes, especially to and from the train station for commuting to jobs.

Chinese urban cyclists are under attack. The communist party in China has become extremely corrupt, and communist party members and their families now own fleets of Mercedes and BMW's. To clear the streets for speedy travel in their new luxury cars, party leaders have implemented restrictions that have greatly reduced the number of bicycle commuters in major cities. Hundreds of thousands of bikes have been taken off the streets so that a few thousand corrupt politicians, their cronies and business partners can race across town in their new automobiles.
alanbikehouston is offline  
Old 02-09-05, 11:45 PM
  #6  
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Posts: 13,696

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Bike building and bike riding are two different issues. Holland is not one of the "bike building" leaders, but a majority of adults ride bikes on a regular basis. The Japanese bike industry has come under attack by cheap communist Chinese made bikes, and so bike production in Japan is declining. But, a high percentage of Japanese adults continue to ride bikes, especially to and from the train station for commuting to jobs.

Chinese urban cyclists are under attack. The communist party in China has become extremely corrupt, and communist party members and their families now own fleets of Mercedes and BMW's. To clear the streets for speedy travel in their new luxury cars, party leaders have implemented restrictions that have greatly reduced the number of bicycle commuters in major cities. Hundreds of thousands of bikes have been taken off the streets so that a few thousand corrupt politicians, their cronies and business partners can race across town in their new automobiles.
I think it's more like the Chinese are promoting Westernization, the main symbol of which is car culture. And now that all the good manufacturing jobs are in China, the workers are starting to be able to afford cars.
randya is offline  
Old 02-10-05, 12:00 AM
  #7  
way124
Still Newbie
 
way124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 237

Bikes: A 1992 Norco road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Chinese urban cyclists are under attack. The communist party in China has become extremely corrupt, and communist party members and their families now own fleets of Mercedes and BMW's.
I don't think there are that many corrupt officials to amount to about a million new cars on the road a year.
way124 is offline  
Old 02-10-05, 12:29 AM
  #8  
poululla
Great guy
 
poululla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not being biased, but I would say that Copenhagen (Denmark) gets my vote. 1 in every 3 people living in the city uses a bike to commute to work. Owning a bike is only half of it, using it every day completes the picture.
poululla is offline  
Old 02-10-05, 01:30 AM
  #9  
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,874

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
The communist party in China has become extremely corrupt, and communist party members and their families now own fleets of Mercedes and BMW's. .
Seems to me that there are lots of Mercedes and BMW's in Washington DC, I guess we could draw the same conclusions, especially since most of those cars have Texas plates these days.

Still seem to be afraid of those commies, thought we grew out of that stuff.
Shifty is offline  
Old 02-10-05, 10:08 AM
  #10  
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,335

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Seems to me that there are lots of Mercedes and BMW's in Washington DC, I guess we could draw the same conclusions, especially since most of those cars have Texas plates these days.

Still seem to be afraid of those commies, thought we grew out of that stuff.
Not really, he said that a corrupt party implies that they drive with mercedes in bmws, the converse is not necessairly true.
operator is offline  
Old 02-10-05, 10:18 AM
  #11  
alanbikehouston
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
I think it's more like the Chinese are promoting Westernization, the main symbol of which is car culture. And now that all the good manufacturing jobs are in China, the workers are starting to be able to afford cars.
An "ordinary" worker makes less than $2,000 per year in China. Most of that money goes for rent and food...not many "ordinary" workers in China owns a car...the purchase price, various taxes and fees (i.e., pay-offs to the local party officials, drive the total price of even the cheapest cars to over $20,000, and the average "new" car costs well over $50,000. And, you must provide a place to park the car. Ordinary workers have difficulty finding adequate parking for their bicycle.


What if an ordinary Chinese citizen speaks up about their oppression by the communist party? Well, union organizers and people criticizing communism in China DO get paid. They get paid with one bullet to the back of their heads. A bullet paid for by the profits of selling slave labor products to greedy American consumers.

There may be some irony here somewhere. American consumers buy cheapo Chinese bikes. The profits buy a BMW or Mercedes for the owner of the bike factory and the party officials who allow him to run the factory. The workers in the bike factory are forbidden to bike to work using major roads, as their bikes would get in the way of the Mercedes owners.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 02-10-05 at 10:41 AM.
alanbikehouston is offline  
Old 02-10-05, 11:02 AM
  #12  
Hal Hardy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NoVa
Posts: 300

Bikes: Tour Easy recumbent, Giant Boulder SE with an Xtracycle attachment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
A bullet paid for by the profits of selling slave labor products to greedy American consumers.
Actually, the bill for the bullet is sent to the family. Seriously.

But your point is well taken.
Hal Hardy is offline  
Old 02-10-05, 01:42 PM
  #13  
allgoo19
Deported by koffee
Thread Starter
 
allgoo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
An "ordinary" worker makes less than $2,000 per year in China. Most of that money goes for rent and food...not many "ordinary" workers in China owns a car...the purchase price, various taxes and fees (i.e., pay-offs to the local party officials, drive the total price of even the cheapest cars to over $20,000, and the average "new" car costs well over $50,000. And, you must provide a place to park the car. Ordinary workers have difficulty finding adequate parking for their bicycle.


What if an ordinary Chinese citizen speaks up about their oppression by the communist party? Well, union organizers and people criticizing communism in China DO get paid. They get paid with one bullet to the back of their heads. A bullet paid for by the profits of selling slave labor products to greedy American consumers.

There may be some irony here somewhere. American consumers buy cheapo Chinese bikes. The profits buy a BMW or Mercedes for the owner of the bike factory and the party officials who allow him to run the factory. The workers in the bike factory are forbidden to bike to work using major roads, as their bikes would get in the way of the Mercedes owners.
The difference between Democracy and Dictatorship.

Under democratic society, the leader has to make 51% of the population, or he's out.

Under dictatorship, the leader make 5% of population happy and have them convince, or force, the rest to think that they have a good living (much like our own........ooops).
allgoo19 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mileena
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
15
03-25-17 09:19 PM
halpx
General Cycling Discussion
2
10-20-09 12:22 PM
Skinny Knees
Commuting
15
08-02-05 09:33 AM
tommac2
Bicycle Mechanics
5
10-12-02 04:31 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.