Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some dislike suspension forks?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some dislike suspension forks?

Old 10-03-19, 05:50 PM
  #76  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
Is this why the MTBR forum is filled with disc brake questions, and why the RBR forum has almost zero questions on caliper brakes?
c'mon man stop the nonsense
I speak from personal experience, not judging the post-count on a forum and deciding from that. That'd be nonsense.

If there are more enquiries on discs, particularly hydraulic, it may be because it's a new concept to far more people.
MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-03-19, 08:12 PM
  #77  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK View Post
I speak from personal experience, not judging the post-count on a forum and deciding from that. That'd be nonsense.

If there are more enquiries on discs, particularly hydraulic, it may be because it's a new concept to far more people.
nah bro, people ask that many questions because there are issues, not because it's new, disc brake been around in MTB scene for almost 2 decades now, they're ain't a novelty. I reckon you didn't bother browsing that subforum, because if you did you'd see people asking real problematic questions. And furthermore, your experience is n=1, versus a whole subforms with over 200,000 posts. O are you suggesting that those are made up questions over the years to make disc brake maintenance look bad? c'mon now
aclinjury is offline  
Old 10-03-19, 09:17 PM
  #78  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,378

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 1,863 Times in 1,214 Posts
Or maybe it's because a cable rim brake thread goes like this:

Q: Why don't these work better?
A: Ehhhh...
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is online now  
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-03-19, 10:32 PM
  #79  
Canker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
ugh bro, check again
there's a whole subforum on brakes, and with 25,000+ threads and 200,000+ posts, it's one of the most active subforums on there
https://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/

In contrast, how many questions are there on caliper brakes on RBR? Once every couple months, maybe?
Wait a second,,,,, you mean the brake subforum on a bike forum has brake question on it? I thought you were talking about the generic mtn bike section here. As for the 200k posts big whoop. mtbr has 200 different subforums so of coarse one called just brakes is going to have a lot of posts in it compared to to about 165 of the other niche subforums. I mean the subforum for Turner bikes has 300k+ posts in lol. If this place had a dedicated caliper brake forum there would be plenty of posts in it too.

As old as mtbr is probably 50k of those are v-brake questions and another 50k are v-brake vs disk brake rants. I remember those posts from when I first started reading over there. That debate was just the same as it was/is here in the roadie forum. My v-brakes work fine I don't need no newfangled disc brakes that are just going to explode fluid all over the place and kill me.

Last edited by Canker; 10-03-19 at 10:49 PM.
Canker is offline  
Old 10-03-19, 11:32 PM
  #80  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Wait a second,,,,, you mean the brake subforum on a bike forum has brake question on it? I thought you were talking about the generic mtn bike section here. As for the 200k posts big whoop. mtbr has 200 different subforums so of coarse one called just brakes is going to have a lot of posts in it compared to to about 165 of the other niche subforums. I mean the subforum for Turner bikes has 300k+ posts in lol. If this place had a dedicated caliper brake forum there would be plenty of posts in it too.

As old as mtbr is probably 50k of those are v-brake questions and another 50k are v-brake vs disk brake rants. I remember those posts from when I first started reading over there. That debate was just the same as it was/is here in the roadie forum. My v-brakes work fine I don't need no newfangled disc brakes that are just going to explode fluid all over the place and kill me.
I guess people ask questions about disc brake to kill time while picking their noses at work? oh brother
aclinjury is offline  
Old 10-07-19, 12:10 AM
  #81  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 970

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 83 Posts
All I know is I have had two suspension forks that I liked. The one on my ratrod from some Murray mtb with 24" and the one on the Research Dynamics Coyote that was stiff as hell with only 2" of travel if it moved at all. I don't recall the murray one moving too much either.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 10-08-19, 05:05 AM
  #82  
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 7,005

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 804 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK View Post
Discs are easier to service than calipers, in my experience. Calipers can be tricky to get lined-up and balanced...
^That's nonsense right there. Inexpensive disc calipers are more finicky and time consuming to set up than are inexpensive rim brake calipers. I know this having done dozens and dozens of them.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-08-19, 02:27 PM
  #83  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
^That's nonsense right there. Inexpensive disc calipers are more finicky and time consuming to set up than are inexpensive rim brake calipers. I know this having done dozens and dozens of them.
Are you talking about cable calipers? Because i did rule out cable, though you chopped that out..
MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-08-19, 04:03 PM
  #84  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 6,036

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,421 Posts
Anything that just about adds subjective unnecessary weight &/or absorbs energy instead of applying it during a ride regarding a bicycle's main configuration; it will likely have a debatable opinion to it.
I short travel, firm rebound, & lite suspension fork on a hybrid or *gasps* road bicycle would likely be a hot [secrete] seller imo.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
davsantos
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
11
10-07-19 07:51 PM
Hondo Gravel
Fifty Plus (50+)
29
12-09-18 10:43 AM
Bravin Neff
Hybrid Bicycles
55
02-28-14 11:07 PM
pablosnazzy
Mountain Biking
26
04-18-12 09:59 AM
adlai
Folding Bikes
26
09-09-10 01:27 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.