Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Shimano Deore 9-Speed Triple Front Derailleur: Obsolete? (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/953228-shimano-deore-9-speed-triple-front-derailleur-obsolete.html)

Brennan 06-11-14 11:08 AM

Shimano Deore 9-Speed Triple Front Derailleur: Obsolete?
 
I just auctioned one new-in-box on ebay. Clamp mount, compatible with 3 seat tube sizes (with included shims), and convertible between top and bottom pull. In other words, it should fit a lot of bikes. The auction had a detailed description and three close-up photos of the item. After a week, the auction got only 20 views, no watchers, and one winning bid: 99 cents (plus $5 shipping). Really?

Fastfingaz 06-11-14 03:10 PM

I couldn't tell you about that, but maybe the bike mechanics forum may have more info on that,,,,,,,

dynaryder 06-11-14 04:11 PM

Not at all. Quick Google shows they're still readily available. Think you just had bad luck,next time put on a higher min.

WestPablo 06-11-14 05:34 PM

I hear Triples are phasing out...

Brennan 06-11-14 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 16842954)
Think you just had bad luck,next time put on a higher min.

I started with a post on craigslist with a price that was lower than the lowest price I could find online. Not a single inquiry. I did the same with a "buy it now" listing on ebay. Again no takers. Tried craigslist a second time and again got no responses. The .99 cent auction was my last resort. In other words, I practically had to give the thing away. I think WestPablo might be right about triples phasing out, not to mention 9-speed drivetrains. I was still surprised though. It's not like this is ancient technology.

StephenH 06-11-14 05:49 PM

I think that's what my bike has, not sure- non-indexed front shifter on my Raleigh Sojourn. However, the thing never wears out, if it's stock equipment that gets ousted by upgrades, there may be zero demand for it.

Brennan 06-11-14 06:04 PM


Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 16843222)
the thing never wears out, if it's stock equipment that gets ousted by upgrades, there may be zero demand for it.

Good point. I thought someone might buy it for a build or something, and that I'd be able to find at least a couple buyers on a nationwide listing, but alas no.

Little Darwin 06-11-14 07:18 PM

Perhaps not common for upgrades/replacements... People seem to be in love with 2x or 1x drive trains (or rediscovering what most of us rode in the late 60's and 70's)

GravelMN 06-11-14 08:16 PM

I'm still running a Deore 3x9 setup on my gravel grinder and on my MTB. Obsolete? More or less, but still frequently seen and the parts very common. I'm surprised that you didn't get a higher bid there are still a lot of 3x drivetrains out there.

MEversbergII 06-11-14 10:03 PM

Isn't 3x the norm? Or are we talking about a specific category of bikes here?

M.

krobinson103 06-12-14 12:25 AM

Mine is sweet. I use it on mtb/tourer. Shifts like a dream and I like the granny after 12 hours in the saddle when faced with yet another hill. Tried a 2x setup both in standard and compact and its ok, but I like my triple better. I never run out of gears.

Berta 06-12-14 03:31 AM

^^^
+1 :thumb:

krobinson103 06-12-14 04:45 AM

Also it reallly doesn't matter if you use a 9 speed derailler with a 10 speed chain. I found that using a 9 speed chain with an 8 speed setup worked better. No reason why you couldn't use it on a 3x10 setup. Bit more space in the derailler makes tuning it easier.

WestPablo 06-12-14 06:59 AM


Originally Posted by Brennan (Post 16843197)
I started with a post on craigslist with a price that was lower than the lowest price I could find online. Not a single inquiry. I did the same with a "buy it now" listing on ebay. Again no takers. Tried craigslist a second time and again got no responses. The .99 cent auction was my last resort. In other words, I practically had to give the thing away. I think WestPablo might be right about triples phasing out, not to mention 9-speed drivetrains. I was still surprised though. It's not like this is ancient technology.

The Rise of the Compact Crank: Death of the Triple

www.bikehugger.com/post/view/the-rise-of-the-compact-crank

bikemig 06-12-14 07:04 AM

Derailleurs for triples are going to be available for a very, very long time. You'll have to be willing to move down the shimano food chain to find one (or look for an alternative FD) as the high end stuff is clearly migrating to compacts and 1 x gearing but you can find it.

WestPablo 06-12-14 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 16844561)
Derailleurs for triples are going to be available for a very, very long time. You'll have to be willing to move down the shimano food chain to find one (or look for an alternative FD) as the high end stuff is clearly migrating to compacts and 1 x gearing but you can find it.

+1

I think maybe you're right, Bikemig! :thumb:

However, the question is:

What's a "very, very long time"? :D

Sram refuses to make a Triple, Shimano keeps shuffling them downwards, and Specialized makes you pay extra for the accommodation! :twitchy:

I fear that the Triple is following the disappearing path of the Peugeot...

Darth Lefty 06-12-14 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by WestPablo (Post 16844545)
The Rise of the Compact Crank: Death of the Triple

www.bikehugger.com/post/view/the-rise-of-the-compact-crank

Mountain bikes, dude.

contango 06-12-14 08:10 AM


Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 16844053)
Mine is sweet. I use it on mtb/tourer. Shifts like a dream and I like the granny after 12 hours in the saddle when faced with yet another hill. Tried a 2x setup both in standard and compact and its ok, but I like my triple better. I never run out of gears.

I like my 50-39-30 triple. The vast majority of the riding I do never needs the granny ring but when I'm further from home and facing bigger hills, or I'm towards the end of a long ride and there's a hill, I do appreciate having that 30 tooth granny ring. I've also got a wide (11-32) cassette. If I went to a 50-34 compact I could probably get away with a 11-27 cassette, but then I'd be struggling on the longer or steeper hills.

fietsbob 06-12-14 09:02 AM

Marketing as new, and selling as repair parts are 2 separate things ..

but after a while the machines that make the parts are re tooled to make something else..

dynaryder 06-12-14 05:05 PM


Originally Posted by Brennan (Post 16843197)
I started with a post on craigslist with a price that was lower than the lowest price I could find online. Not a single inquiry. I did the same with a "buy it now" listing on ebay. Again no takers. Tried craigslist a second time and again got no responses. The .99 cent auction was my last resort. In other words, I practically had to give the thing away. I think WestPablo might be right about triples phasing out, not to mention 9-speed drivetrains. I was still surprised though. It's not like this is ancient technology.

The pros are all going 2x and 1x,but they're professional athletes competing. Triples will be around as long as there are regular people.

I'm still calling it bad luck. I've had stuff sit on CL and eBay forever,then sell it to someone for my asking price because it just happened that that's what they were looking for. I had an old NIB Flexstem that I never used;no-one on CL would touch it,and didn't bother with eBay. Put it out at a bike swap last year,and this dude goes,"hey,is that a Flexstem?",and pays my asking price. He'd been wanting one but didn't hang out on eBay.

MEversbergII 06-12-14 08:10 PM

I'm guessing the advantage of a double is weight and smaller Q-factor?

M.

krobinson103 06-12-14 11:35 PM

Not sure. They are a bit lighter but a standad 53-39 sucks badly climbing even with an 11-34 grafted on the back. Put a 12-25 in the mix and its not fun. A compact 50-34 with 12-25 isn't bad but at the end of a long day its not a lot of fun. Now for a little extra weight you can have a 30t ring in reserve to get you home. I'd rather the extra weight and the option - even if I rarely use it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.