Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does a way exist to stop paint from chipping away from bikes and making them ugly?

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does a way exist to stop paint from chipping away from bikes and making them ugly?

Old 06-13-14, 07:57 PM
  #1  
Mr. Tuff Dandy
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does a way exist to stop paint from chipping away from bikes and making them ugly?

Whenever I have bought a bike, the paint on it has always gradually chipped away as a result of me using the bike normally. I.e. Me locking my bike to metal poles which were designed for that purpose is a prime cause of my paint chipping away, as far as I can tell.

My once-beautiful bike starts to looks ghastly, because in places where pretty paint used to be are now unsightly grey "holes" (that is, holes in the paint job, not in the metal itself) of various shapes and sizes.

If possible, I would like to avoid having future bikes that I own from suffering this fate.

Does a way exist to stop paint from chipping away from bikes and making them ugly?

Similarly, can anything be done to fix that problem after it has occurred? I.e. Do professional paint shops exist that can fix that problem? If so, what are they called and how do I find them?
Mr. Tuff Dandy is offline  
Old 06-13-14, 08:08 PM
  #2  
syncro87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KLXT, USA
Posts: 273

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, Burley Rock n Roll, Trek Transport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Tuff Dandy View Post
Whenever I have bought a bike, the paint on it has always gradually chipped away as a result of me using the bike normally. I.e. Me locking my bike to metal poles which were designed for that purpose is a prime cause of my paint chipping away, as far as I can tell.

My once-beautiful bike starts to looks ghastly, because in places where pretty paint used to be are now unsightly grey "holes" (that is, holes in the paint job, not in the metal itself) of various shapes and sizes.

If possible, I would like to avoid having future bikes that I own from suffering this fate.

Does a way exist to stop paint from chipping away from bikes and making them ugly?

Similarly, can anything be done to fix that problem after it has occurred? I.e. Do professional paint shops exist that can fix that problem? If so, what are they called and how do I find them?

You can buy paint protection film in different sizes and thicknesses. You don't have to get it precut as in this video, I just put the link so you get the idea. My dad bought it in a generic sheet and used it on various things.

Tankslapper Motorcycle Paint Protection Clear Vinyl - YouTube

Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 4-by-48-inches: Automotive
syncro87 is offline  
Old 06-13-14, 08:24 PM
  #3  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,531

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A piece of pipe insulation. It is dirt cheap. You could carry it if you don't like the look of it when riding. It's so cheap that when it gets worn out, just replace it.
2manybikes is online now  
Old 06-13-14, 08:33 PM
  #4  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,472

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6721 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 140 Times in 118 Posts
Powder coating is pretty chip resistant. (epoxy more so than glossy polyester powder)

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-14-14 at 08:32 AM.
fietsbob is online now  
Old 06-13-14, 09:22 PM
  #5  
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur
 
katsrevenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Willkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 614

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wrap parts in pretty duct tape.
katsrevenge is offline  
Old 06-13-14, 09:39 PM
  #6  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 8,942
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by katsrevenge View Post
I wrap parts in pretty duct tape.

Judging by your name and avatar, you use this:
Duck Tape® Brand Duct Tape, Hello Kitty, 1.88"x 10 Yards | Staples®

__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 06-13-14, 09:43 PM
  #7  
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 11,019

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Titanium without paint.
Carbon fiber with clearcoat only.
zonatandem is offline  
Old 06-13-14, 09:51 PM
  #8  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,759
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
Titanium without paint.
Carbon fiber with clearcoat only.
Or unpainted aluminium.

Or just be more careful in parking the bike so it leans on the saddle and bars, or the rear rack.
Rowan is offline  
Old 06-13-14, 09:54 PM
  #9  
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur
 
katsrevenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Willkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 614

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
Judging by your name and avatar, you use this:
Duck Tape® Brand Duct Tape, Hello Kitty, 1.88"x 10 Yards | Staples®

Better. I found stuff that's covered in rainbows. Not that I'm opposed to Hello Kitty... it's the pink I can't stand!
katsrevenge is offline  
Old 06-14-14, 06:09 AM
  #10  
syncro87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KLXT, USA
Posts: 273

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, Burley Rock n Roll, Trek Transport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could also probably use this to wrap a vulnerable section of tubing:

http://www.amazon.com/Products-F4Tap...682M7XEF2XX1J9
syncro87 is offline  
Old 06-14-14, 06:36 AM
  #11  
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a tool, not a jewel. Wear and tear from active and enthusiastic use is a badge.
Looigi is offline  
Old 06-14-14, 09:23 PM
  #12  
xenologer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lock up with the kickstand down. bike doest lean against rack, stands very close to it. alternatively on no kickstand bikes, saddle and positioned pedal contact rack
xenologer is offline  
Old 06-14-14, 09:27 PM
  #13  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,759
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
I lock up with the kickstand down. bike doest lean against rack, stands very close to it. alternatively on no kickstand bikes, saddle and positioned pedal contact rack
Yes, there is an art to positioning the crank/pedal and leaning the bike against a pole or some other object so it doesn't fall over. A thick rubber band on the handlebars to keep the front brake on also helps avoid wheel flop.

I've leaned my bike using this method without the frame or seat touching anything, and leaned Machka's bike up against it, too, to lock everything together.
Rowan is offline  
Old 06-15-14, 07:40 AM
  #14  
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Posts: 12,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.
MichaelW is offline  
Old 06-15-14, 07:55 AM
  #15  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,694

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
It's a tool, not a jewel. Wear and tear from active and enthusiastic use is a badge.
Alternatively, the OP could permanently mount his "pretty" bike on his bedroom or living room wall and it will continue to remain pretty forever. Mission accomplished!

Me? I prefer to ride my bike, not look at it.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-17-14, 06:45 AM
  #16  
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Posts: 1,570

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dings and scrapes are badges of honest use. On my steel frames, at the end of the season I'll sandpaper and use touch-up paint on any dings to prevent rust. On my aluminum frames it doesn't make a bit of difference, so I don't do anything.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline  
Old 06-17-14, 07:20 AM
  #17  
Berta 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Alternatively, the OP could permanently mount his "pretty" bike on his bedroom or living room wall and it will continue to remain pretty forever. Mission accomplished!

Me? I prefer to ride my bike, not look at it.
That more people felt the same way about their cars, but what would happen to the body shops?
Berta is offline  
Old 06-17-14, 08:57 AM
  #18  
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Posts: 2,836

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty bikes? They don't stay pretty if you ride them. I just ride and if they dinged up a bit so be it. My steel Soma of course gets the rust cleaned off and paint touched up. My Aluminium fuji? Rattle can black on top of the black if there are any chips that bother me. Otherwise she can wear her scars...
krobinson103 is offline  
Old 06-17-14, 09:02 AM
  #19  
Drew Eckhardt 
Senior Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Posts: 5,661
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Tuff Dandy View Post
Does a way exist to stop paint from chipping away from bikes and making them ugly?
Sure. Buy a titanium or stainless steel frame which doesn't need paint. My current titanium frame looks much better after 17 years than the last steel one did just 7 - the worst you get is small polished spots which can be removed with a Scotch Brite pad if you have a brushed finish.

Similarly, can anything be done to fix that problem after it has occurred? I.e. Do professional paint shops exist that can fix that problem? If so, what are they called and how do I find them?
Yup. A few hundred dollars will make your bike look as good as new.
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
Old 06-18-14, 10:29 PM
  #20  
LuckySailor
Senior Member
 
LuckySailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 649

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Tuff Dandy View Post
Whenever I have bought a bike, the paint on it has always gradually chipped away as a result of me using the bike normally. I.e. Me locking my bike to metal poles which were designed for that purpose is a prime cause of my paint chipping away, as far as I can tell.

My once-beautiful bike starts to looks ghastly, because in places where pretty paint used to be are now unsightly grey "holes" (that is, holes in the paint job, not in the metal itself) of various shapes and sizes.

If possible, I would like to avoid having future bikes that I own from suffering this fate.

Does a way exist to stop paint from chipping away from bikes and making them ugly?

Similarly, can anything be done to fix that problem after it has occurred? I.e. Do professional paint shops exist that can fix that problem? If so, what are they called and how do I find them?
I hear you loud and clear OP. Yeah, all you naysayers, probably don't care about your vehicles really either. So for those of us who intend on keeping things as nice as possible for as long as possible this is what I did. Recently I just did a total custom build on a Trek 520, including a custom paint job. Within the first week, my handlebar flopped to one side and the bar end shifter took a tiny chip out. Grrrrrrr! So off to Ziebart I went. You can head to prolly most any after market car detailer. They have this clear film that they apply to the front edge of your car hood to protect from stone chips, is extremely tough and UV stable. You can put it on anything that you are protecting from chips and scrapes. It cost me $100. Looks great-as you can't even tell that it is there. 10 year chip and fade guarentee. If it protects my paint for a few years, I'm happy. 10 I'm exstatic! Also, most any body shop can color meld the paint. They heat the paint up to melt it, and the chip disappears. Can't even tell where the repair is. It's not too expensive either, but if you're doing a lot, it could get costly.
LuckySailor is offline  
Old 06-19-14, 02:54 AM
  #21  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,759
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor View Post
I hear you loud and clear OP. Yeah, all you naysayers, probably don't care about your vehicles really either. So for those of us who intend on keeping things as nice as possible for as long as possible this is what I did. Recently I just did a total custom build on a Trek 520, including a custom paint job. Within the first week, my handlebar flopped to one side and the bar end shifter took a tiny chip out. Grrrrrrr! So off to Ziebart I went. You can head to prolly most any after market car detailer. They have this clear film that they apply to the front edge of your car hood to protect from stone chips, is extremely tough and UV stable. You can put it on anything that you are protecting from chips and scrapes. It cost me $100. Looks great-as you can't even tell that it is there. 10 year chip and fade guarentee. If it protects my paint for a few years, I'm happy. 10 I'm exstatic! Also, most any body shop can color meld the paint. They heat the paint up to melt it, and the chip disappears. Can't even tell where the repair is. It's not too expensive either, but if you're doing a lot, it could get costly.
That's a rather silly assumption. The same as my assumption that you obviously don't ride your bike much.
Rowan is offline  
Old 06-19-14, 03:12 AM
  #22  
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Posts: 2,836

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I care about my bikes more than my kids according to my wife! They are regularly maintained and cleaned etc. I just don't care about the paint. If it gets chipped on a steel bike then sure do something about it. Aluminium? Not going to rust let it be.
krobinson103 is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 10:24 AM
  #23  
Fastfingaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by katsrevenge View Post
Better. I found stuff that's covered in rainbows. Not that I'm opposed to Hello Kitty... it's the pink I can't stand!
Don't fprget rainbows will take you in another direction nowdays!!!! not that theres anything wrong with that!!!! just saying,,,,,,,
Fastfingaz is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 11:31 AM
  #24  
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur
 
katsrevenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Willkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 614

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz View Post
Don't fprget rainbows will take you in another direction nowdays!!!! not that theres anything wrong with that!!!! just saying,,,,,,,


Perfectly OK with that. I actually see that as somewhat of a bonus. The local low life population doesn't strike me as the rainbow comfortable crowd.
katsrevenge is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 12:20 PM
  #25  
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Posts: 12,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh ponies and kittens and rainbows. Do they sparkle?
MichaelW is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.