Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a light, fast road bike under $1000, any suggestions??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for a light, fast road bike under $1000, any suggestions??

Old 08-23-14, 09:26 PM
  #1  
tear6798
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a light, fast road bike under $1000, any suggestions??

Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to road biking and recently purchased a Dave Scott Master's bike. It's a great bike, fast and light, but I really don't have anything else to compare it to. I have no complaints about the bike, only that I'm too short for it (I'm 5'3 and the bike is 53cm), so I need to buy another bike with a smaller frame and will probably sell this one. If I could have a 19in Dave Scott Masters, I would take it in a second, so basically I'm looking for something close to the bike I already have but just one that's smaller and available. I've searched constantly this past month for a small fast vintage 80s bike, but no luck, so I figured I may just have to make that investment but still don't want to spend more than 1g, ideally I'd like to spend closer to 6-700 if possible.

Any suggestions or thoughts on going about this would be greatly appreciated. Also, this bike will be used from everything to commuting to 20mile bike trips.

Thanks again, T
tear6798 is offline  
Old 08-23-14, 09:56 PM
  #2  
dbikingman
Senior Member
 
dbikingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Spokane/Tri-Cities WA
Posts: 1,383

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to move this post to the electronics and lighting forum.
__________________
"I've been dropped a lot of times, but it's never been because of my bike." DXchulo
dbikingman is offline  
Old 08-23-14, 10:05 PM
  #3  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 21,517

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tear6798 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to road biking and recently purchased a Dave Scott Master's bike. It's a great bike, fast and light, but I really don't have anything else to compare it to. I have no complaints about the bike, only that I'm too short for it (I'm 5'3 and the bike is 53cm), so I need to buy another bike with a smaller frame and will probably sell this one. If I could have a 19in Dave Scott Masters, I would take it in a second, so basically I'm looking for something close to the bike I already have but just one that's smaller and available. I've searched constantly this past month for a small fast vintage 80s bike, but no luck, so I figured I may just have to make that investment but still don't want to spend more than 1g, ideally I'd like to spend closer to 6-700 if possible.

Any suggestions or thoughts on going about this would be greatly appreciated. Also, this bike will be used from everything to commuting to 20mile bike trips.

Thanks again, T
A Cannondale Synapse Alloy 7 is a good value. REI has them for $950. I purchased a used one recently and was pleasantly surprised at the weight...22 lbs stock.

I've also suggested the Jamis Ventura in the past. I don't have any direct experience with them but,on paper, they are a very good value. Similar weight to the Synapse.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-23-14 at 10:09 PM.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 08-23-14, 10:31 PM
  #4  
headloss 
Lost at sea...
 
headloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Western PA
Posts: 935

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbikingman View Post
You might want to move this post to the electronics and lighting forum.
LMAO! oh... commas.

In response to the OP, a quote comes to mind: “Strong, Light, Cheap. Pick two.”
headloss is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 11:49 AM
  #5  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6921 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 203 Posts
the 'I have a [x] you should buy one too' is a forum reflex.. I say take test-rides at yourLBS I doubt they have all brands ,

Most all come from a few multi brand making factories anyway ..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 12:27 PM
  #6  
cyclebee
I heart moonsaddle
 
cyclebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 94

Bikes: Trek, redline, giant, schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
A Cannondale Synapse Alloy 7 is a good value. REI has them for $950. I purchased a used one recently and was pleasantly surprised at the weight...22 lbs stock.

I've also suggested the Jamis Ventura in the past. I don't have any direct experience with them but,on paper, they are a very good value. Similar weight to the Synapse.
I was looking at one of those seems like a great value. How well does the save system work in it?
cyclebee is offline  
Old 08-27-14, 04:06 AM
  #7  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 21,517

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclebee View Post
I was looking at one of those seems like a great value. How well does the save system work in it?
I've had a Cannondale 2.8 in the past which was best ridden in black leather and a ball gag. It was rough. Good and fast but at the end of a ride, you really wanted to call it "Mistress" and thank it politely. I also have a Cannondale T800 touring bike which rides like a truck without a load on it. The Synapse I have now (not sure the year because it got "artified") is a much different bike to ride than either of those. It's very comfortable...not that I have much problem with aluminum bikes' stiffness.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hardyboyz92320
General Cycling Discussion
13
01-17-13 01:06 AM
teamtrinity
Road Cycling
6
09-13-12 02:00 PM
bhdavis1978
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
11
11-28-11 11:10 PM
Monkey Face
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
14
12-25-09 04:39 PM
bmt074
Commuting
11
12-24-09 06:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.