General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The All Important Purchase....

Old 08-31-14, 10:22 AM
  #1  
Salvos
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The All Important Purchase....

Looking for some advice.

After 20+yrs in the making, I have finally decided to take the plunge and purchase the road bike I always wanted. I have spent the last month of so researching different bikes, talking/visiting several stores, and spending quite a bit of time online. I am looking at bikes in the $3000 to $3500 region but don't necessarily want to spend that much (hoping to find 2 year old models that stores have drastically reduced to make room for newer models). I am looking to ride more seriously and enter in the odd competition here and there.

So far I have narrowed it down to 4 models....Pinarello, Colnago, Cervelo and Scott. Will add Look Keo 2 Max pedals to the bike I purchase. So with that here are my questions.

1. Components....is it worth the upgrade from Shimano 105 to Shimano Ultegra?

2. Which would be the better value, a Pinarello FP Due 105 for $2200 (Upgrade to Ultegra closer to $3000) or a Scott CR1 Ultegra for $2600?

3. Any websites anyone can recommend for purchasing accessories?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Salvos is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 10:44 AM
  #2  
knobster
.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,981

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Not really.
2. I think the Scott is an excellent value. Either is great though. I think if I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd get the best one in that range though. Maybe a Colnago. You would get more bike for the money purchasing a "lesser" brand though like Scott.
3. Universal Cycles is a good one.
__________________
Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.
knobster is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 01:36 PM
  #3  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,611

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6754 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 164 Times in 140 Posts
if having a famed brand name on the frame is important to you , then spend the extra money ..

I give extra value to getting it from a shop you can go back to after the sale for service..

others prefer on line buying..

The race bike biz does a lot of model year changes .. the trade show season is upon us ,
Germany had one, The US one in LV is soon

so what's current now may be blown out as last years old stock soon.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-31-14 at 02:10 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 02:04 PM
  #4  
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't matter a damn. There is virtually nothing to choose between the big-name brands at any given price point. They're all made in the same places, only the specifications and appearances really vary.

As far as components are concerned, what is "worth it" depends on your goals. For example, if you are racing, and competitive in your category, then I'd say that not only is ultegra worth it, but electronic Ultegra is worth it. If you aren't, then 105 is almost as good and mechanical ultegra, in my view, isn't worth the price premium.

The same goes for wheels and other stuff. How important is it, to you, to squeeze out the last drop of advanage that your equipment can give you? If it is very important, you'll save up and buy a set of Zipp wheels that will pretty much consume your current budget on their own. If not, you'll find that you can have as much fun on a set of Mavic Openpros at a fraction of the cost.

Look for a deal. Ride as many of the bikes you can afford as you can. Buy the one that feels right, there is no objective standard that can help you make the judgement.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 12:12 PM
  #5  
Salvos
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
if having a famed brand name on the frame is important to you , then spend the extra money ..

I give extra value to getting it from a shop you can go back to after the sale for service..

others prefer on line buying..

The race bike biz does a lot of model year changes .. the trade show season is upon us ,
Germany had one, The US one in LV is soon

so what's current now may be blown out as last years old stock soon.
I have visited a number of shops, and I've narrowed it down to these 4 in part to the shops I visited. Customer service is important, I don't need anyone to kiss my butt, but to at least make me feel welcome, answer my questions and to help me find the best ride possible.

Hoping to test ride very soon, and big sale coming up in October here. Trying to research as much as possible prior to so I can make the best/smart purchase possible.
Salvos is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 12:13 PM
  #6  
Salvos
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
It doesn't matter a damn. There is virtually nothing to choose between the big-name brands at any given price point. They're all made in the same places, only the specifications and appearances really vary.

As far as components are concerned, what is "worth it" depends on your goals. For example, if you are racing, and competitive in your category, then I'd say that not only is ultegra worth it, but electronic Ultegra is worth it. If you aren't, then 105 is almost as good and mechanical ultegra, in my view, isn't worth the price premium.

The same goes for wheels and other stuff. How important is it, to you, to squeeze out the last drop of advanage that your equipment can give you? If it is very important, you'll save up and buy a set of Zipp wheels that will pretty much consume your current budget on their own. If not, you'll find that you can have as much fun on a set of Mavic Openpros at a fraction of the cost.

Look for a deal. Ride as many of the bikes you can afford as you can. Buy the one that feels right, there is no objective standard that can help you make the judgement.
Thanks for the advice....I appreciate it!
Salvos is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 12:29 PM
  #7  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 29,269

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Salvos View Post
I have visited a number of shops, and I've narrowed it down to these 4 in part to the shops I visited. Customer service is important, I don't need anyone to kiss my butt, but to at least make me feel welcome, answer my questions and to help me find the best ride possible.
To me the difference among shops is more important than the differences among bicycle brands. Before you spend your money ask yourself this; "If you were to have a warranty issue, which shop would you want to have working with you?"
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 04:37 PM
  #8  
Salvos
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
To me the difference among shops is more important than the differences among bicycle brands. Before you spend your money ask yourself this; "If you were to have a warranty issue, which shop would you want to have working with you?"
Agree 100%. Found a shop that sold Pinarello & Wilier brands, could have saved about $200 compared to the other shop but didn't like the people who worked there. Owner was bragging to another customer how he sold someone a bike, then shop put bikes at %40 off, when customer returned 2 days later to see if owner would honour the discount he declined. After hearing that I walked right out.
Salvos is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jscalia
Touring
5
01-20-12 02:50 PM
jerry4
Training & Nutrition
9
02-16-10 03:07 PM
xfimpg
Road Cycling
29
03-30-09 08:11 AM
brandonehansen
Alt Bike Culture
0
10-05-07 01:31 PM
climbo
Mountain Biking
3
02-02-05 02:37 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.