Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good bike rack.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for a good bike rack.

Old 03-09-15, 07:57 AM
  #1  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a good bike rack.

Hi,

I've gone and installed a hitch on my wife's VW Tiguan. Main reason is so that we can all go out for a nice family cycle.

My bike is a Marin Point Reyes Urban MTB... Which i like to keep scratch free, but wouldn't cry too much if it took a scratch !!! The boys have two 18" BMX's (one Felt and one Haro) Not too concerned if they take a little scratch here or there... They're doing all sorts of things with them, and well they're BMX's....

My wife has an Electra Beach Cruiser ish thingy, i don't even know what its called.. But she wouldn't be too keen on it getting a scratch.

Really looking for opinions on what would be a decent bike carrier for all four bikes.... Don't mind spending a little extra if its going to reduce any scratches.

I'd also like to occasionally take my road bike (Gios, Italian Hand Made aluminium /w Campag groupset ) If that took a scratch i would literally fall to my knees and cry.. That bike has been wiped down with baby wipes for the last 13yrs, after every ride and is still in mint condition !!! That bike would only ever be on the rack by itself. So nothing else rubbing up against it....

First time buyer of a bike rack so really looking for some experienced opinions on what to look for, and which brands to go for.

Budget not as important as making sure it doesn't damage my bike (most importantly the Gios)
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 03-09-15, 09:16 AM
  #2  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,862

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 593 Posts
my 2 cents: 4 bikes on a hitch? make sure your hitch is not a "class I" like mine. "class I" hitches are only good for 2 bikes.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 03-09-15, 10:40 AM
  #3  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
my 2 cents: 4 bikes on a hitch? make sure your hitch is not a "class I" like mine. "class I" hitches are only good for 2 bikes.
No i asked for the class 3.
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 03-09-15, 11:43 AM
  #4  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 822 Posts
Id walk in to shops and ask .. the padding that you wrap around the top tube where most racks will support the bike is something you add .

that will be your paint protector.

But, with a receiver for a Hitch, you can use a Trailer for your Bikes and have a door to Lock Closed and Keep them Out of Sight. & the weather and road dirt .
fietsbob is offline  
Old 03-09-15, 12:30 PM
  #5  
FLJeepGuy
Senior Member
 
FLJeepGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 237

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't say enough good about the Yakima Holdup 2" and the add-on HoldUp +2. It's absolutely the best rack system I've ever owned. It handles just about any frame configuration and is carbon friendly as all attachment points are at the wheels and tires rather than any part of the frame. My wife I an use the HoldUp all the time and add the +2 when the kids are travelling with us. It's rock solid, and very secure.

A couple of things to note...

First, it's heavy, so you definitely need more than a class I receiver. Second, it's not cheap, but judging from the bikes you've listed, it's worth it. Third, I can mount a bike on this thing faster than on any other rack I've ever owned.

Definitely worth checking out!
FLJeepGuy is offline  
Old 03-09-15, 01:01 PM
  #6  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thanks I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy View Post
I can't say enough good about the Yakima Holdup 2" and the add-on HoldUp +2. It's absolutely the best rack system I've ever owned. It handles just about any frame configuration and is carbon friendly as all attachment points are at the wheels and tires rather than any part of the frame. My wife I an use the HoldUp all the time and add the +2 when the kids are travelling with us. It's rock solid, and very secure.

A couple of things to note...

First, it's heavy, so you definitely need more than a class I receiver. Second, it's not cheap, but judging from the bikes you've listed, it's worth it. Third, I can mount a bike on this thing faster than on any other rack I've ever owned.

Definitely worth checking out!
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 03-09-15, 01:19 PM
  #7  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another one I've seen is the Thule T2, which I can have delivered for $390 plus it'll allow me to add the extra T2 attachment for an additional $280.

Seems to me that its very similar to the HoldUp2, just a little less expensive.

Does anyone have anything to say about the T2, or am i just better off dropping the extra $60 on the Yakima.
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 03-09-15, 01:29 PM
  #8  
spdracr39
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 1,538

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have and love the KUAT NV.
spdracr39 is offline  
Old 03-10-15, 06:00 AM
  #9  
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
...I'd also like to occasionally take my road bike ... If that took a scratch i would literally fall to my knees and cry.
Anything that can move or rub against the paint during transport can scuff the paint even if it's very soft, as road dust and grit can trapped between it and the surface it contacts. Transparent plastic stick-on film on the frame areas where the carrier contacts it will prevent this.
Looigi is offline  
Old 03-10-15, 06:29 AM
  #10  
FLJeepGuy
Senior Member
 
FLJeepGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 237

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
Another one I've seen is the Thule T2, which I can have delivered for $390 plus it'll allow me to add the extra T2 attachment for an additional $280.

Seems to me that its very similar to the HoldUp2, just a little less expensive.

Does anyone have anything to say about the T2, or am i just better off dropping the extra $60 on the Yakima.
I looked at the Thule when I started shopping and compared it to the Yakima since they were so similar, however, it didn't seem as heavily built. The Yakima's wheel supports are, in my opinion, much better designed and more secure, particularly against side to side movement. Thule has a good reputation in the industry, however, I've owned several Yakima racks over the years and have never had a single issue with any of them. In the end, my past experience with Yakima racks and it's overall construction quality won out. I've not regretted the extra spend one bit.
FLJeepGuy is offline  
Old 03-10-15, 07:32 AM
  #11  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy View Post
I looked at the Thule when I started shopping and compared it to the Yakima since they were so similar, however, it didn't seem as heavily built. The Yakima's wheel supports are, in my opinion, much better designed and more secure, particularly against side to side movement. Thule has a good reputation in the industry, however, I've owned several Yakima racks over the years and have never had a single issue with any of them. In the end, my past experience with Yakima racks and it's overall construction quality won out. I've not regretted the extra spend one bit.
Thanks FLJeepGuy. Just what i wanted to hear.... AND As luck would have it, I've managed to find the HoldUp2 for $380 .. So its a no brainer... Unless i go searching for a better deal on the Thule, which i'll hold back from doing, problemo solved ! Holdup2 less expensive and better ! job done ;o)
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 03-11-15, 04:19 PM
  #12  
LuckySailor
Senior Member
 
LuckySailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 660

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Don't know if I'm too late to chime in here or not BUT, I have a Draftmaster from ATOC. THE BEST, BAR NONE bike hauler ever. You can take off any bike without disturbing the others. The bikes don't touch each other. It's quick and easy to put on your vehicle. and quick and easy to put the bikes on. AND you still have easy access to your hatchback. It is expensive. But, It's the fourth rack I've bought, and it will be the last. In fact, I can even put my tandem on it, with 3 other single bikes. You gotta check it out here
Atoc - Draftmaster - Topper Racks
LuckySailor is offline  
Old 03-11-15, 07:15 PM
  #13  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor View Post
Don't know if I'm too late to chime in here or not BUT, I have a Draftmaster from ATOC. THE BEST, BAR NONE bike hauler ever. You can take off any bike without disturbing the others. The bikes don't touch each other. It's quick and easy to put on your vehicle. and quick and easy to put the bikes on. AND you still have easy access to your hatchback. It is expensive. But, It's the fourth rack I've bought, and it will be the last. In fact, I can even put my tandem on it, with 3 other single bikes. You gotta check it out here
Atoc - Draftmaster - Topper Racks
Thanks, but i've already gone and purchased the Yakima Holdup2 and the Holdup Plus 2 add-on, for four bikes in total... Pretty excited to get it.. gotta wait a week, cos its UPS ground. $380 for the hold-up 2 and around $290 for the add-on... Expensive yes, but a bike rack is for life, and i'm going to be cycling til the day i pop my clogs !
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 03-11-15, 08:26 PM
  #14  
Gus90
Senior Member
 
Gus90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago (suburbs)
Posts: 810

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For years I've been using a Thule Rak-N-Loc (discontinued) and consider it one of the best I've owned. I have the extension so I could carry up to 4 bikes. It could also tilt back to grant access to my rear hatch. Only real gripe was that it mounted the bikes very close together so I'd always carry some foam tubing for cushioning. Nice rubber inlays to cradle the bike from the top tube and then I'd strap down the wheels to prevent too much sway. I especially loved the way the rack locked the bikes for security (see picture). I plan on selling this one to help offset the cost of the new one.



Recently, I decided to replace it with a tray style rack since I've added a few carbon framed bikes to my stable. This way the rack isn't in contact with the frame at all. I got the Kuat NV and absolutely love it. I got the black version not the gray shown below. No more messing around with straps or wrenches to mount the rack. It's got a lot of clever built in features like an integrated lock cable, a hitch tightening mechanism to prevent sway, and an integrated work stand. It folds up when not in use and down to get hatch access. You can also buy an extension to carry up to 4 bikes but the add-on is not as convenient to take on or off quickly, it's more of a semi-permanent option. (I don't have the add-on) It's a little heaver than the Thule above but not by much. This thing is so much more solid than similar tray models by Thule or Yakima that I looked at. I don't worry about this one wearing out or failing anytime soon. Also a little pricier but given the quality of construction it's easy to see why. This thing was built solid and built to last. I highly recommend this or if you want something a little lighter they also make the Kuat Sherpa which seems like a great rack as well.


Last edited by Gus90; 03-11-15 at 08:34 PM.
Gus90 is offline  
Old 03-12-15, 08:04 AM
  #15  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,862

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 593 Posts
for the OP just came across this thread elsewhere you might find interesting, and maybe even the Tiguan forum!

Get a bike in the back? - General Discussion - myTiguan Forum
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 06-18-15, 07:37 PM
  #16  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
Thanks, but i've already gone and purchased the Yakima Holdup2 and the Holdup Plus 2 add-on, for four bikes in total... Pretty excited to get it.. gotta wait a week, cos its UPS ground. $380 for the hold-up 2 and around $290 for the add-on... Expensive yes, but a bike rack is for life, and i'm going to be cycling til the day i pop my clogs !
Just wanted to add to this, now that I've had a good couple of months of use... And literally its used EVERYDAY !!!! There's no point taking the thing off. My kids go to the bmx park Mon, Thurs, Sat & Sun. The race track, Weds and Fri, and i try and get a sneaky ride out somewhere on Sun morning.. This Yakima rack has made us all use our bikes a lot more than we would have done otherwise.

It's so easy to use, all bikes on and off in 20 secs or so... Doesn't touch the paint, works from my Gios, to my kids 20" bmx's, without hiccup.. Cleverly designed that if you need to get into your trunk, you can lean the rack down at an angle.

Honestly best few hundred bucks i've spent in a while Highly recommended, if anyone comes across this thread looking for an honest opinion.
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 06-18-15, 08:45 PM
  #17  
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 8,401

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
Just wanted to add to this, now that I've had a good couple of months of use... And literally its used EVERYDAY !!!! There's no point taking the thing off. My kids go to the bmx park Mon, Thurs, Sat & Sun. The race track, Weds and Fri, and i try and get a sneaky ride out somewhere on Sun morning.. This Yakima rack has made us all use our bikes a lot more than we would have done otherwise.

It's so easy to use, all bikes on and off in 20 secs or so... Doesn't touch the paint, works from my Gios, to my kids 20" bmx's, without hiccup.. Cleverly designed that if you need to get into your trunk, you can lean the rack down at an angle.

Honestly best few hundred bucks i've spent in a while Highly recommended, if anyone comes across this thread looking for an honest opinion.
I would concur. I am on my second year with the Hold-up 2 and I have the extension as well, but I don't use it much, so I usually just have the 2 bike rack on.

It obviously sticks out a long way with all 4 spaces mounted, but it is wonderful.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline  
Old 06-19-15, 07:10 AM
  #18  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,862

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
Just wanted to add to this - Highly recommended, if anyone comes across this thread looking for an honest opinion.
very cool! got pics?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 06-22-15, 01:12 PM
  #19  
textatt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 24

Bikes: 2009 Marin Pioneer Trails, 2014 Raleigh Revenio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1up USA. I have been using one for three years to haul MTN bikes and road bikes with zero complaints. Bikes don't touch one another and don't move around on the rack.
textatt is offline  
Old 06-22-15, 01:56 PM
  #20  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,080

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Id walk in to shops and ask .. the padding that you wrap around the top tube where most racks will support the bike is something you add .

that will be your paint protector.

But, with a receiver for a Hitch, you can use a Trailer for your Bikes and have a door to Lock Closed and Keep them Out of Sight. & the weather and road dirt .
I'm thinking any rider who has the OP's aversion to bike frame scratches should definitely avoid any rack that hangs the bikes by their top tubes. There's way too much front-to-back movement to suit me.
I like the trailer idea especially with 4 bikes of differing styles and sizes.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 06-22-15, 02:12 PM
  #21  
HornedFrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm really happy with my oneup usa hitch mounted rack.
HornedFrog is offline  
Old 08-13-15, 05:20 AM
  #22  
thedoc46
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
very cool! got pics?
Yes, also i should mention that i recently had an issue with a ratchet of one of the arms.. Yakima customer service was second to none. They sent out a replacement and apologized for any inconvenience.

thedoc46 is offline  
Old 08-13-15, 07:46 AM
  #23  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,862

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 593 Posts
wow!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-13-15, 10:32 AM
  #24  
doug59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando, Florida area
Posts: 139

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
Yes, also i should mention that i recently had an issue with a ratchet of one of the arms.. Yakima customer service was second to none. They sent out a replacement and apologized for any inconvenience.


I own the Yakima Hold Up 2 as well (only two bikes, but could add the extension as shown in this picture). I love this rack. As mentioned earlier....amazing how fast you can load the bikes on it. Plus they're secure.

https://www.yakima.com/holdup-2

Last edited by doug59; 08-13-15 at 10:46 AM.
doug59 is offline  
Old 08-13-15, 10:39 AM
  #25  
FLJeepGuy
Senior Member
 
FLJeepGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 237

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
Yes, also i should mention that i recently had an issue with a ratchet of one of the arms.. Yakima customer service was second to none. They sent out a replacement and apologized for any inconvenience.
What issue did you have with the ratchet? One of my HoldUp's arms is very stiff compared to the other three. I wonder if it's the same issue. It seems like the ratchet mech is too tight. It hasn't caused an issue with using it, but it does take a noticeably larger effort to move the arm.
FLJeepGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.