Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Planning to tour MI West Shore this summer; suggestions?

Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Planning to tour MI West Shore this summer; suggestions?

Old 03-08-18, 01:34 PM
  #26  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
Posts: 11,570

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glen Arbor - highly recommended

See #4

http://time.com/money/page/best-places-to-travel-2018/
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 03-09-18, 10:48 AM
  #27  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 5,966

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
If/when people get up there on tour I hope you'll take pictures to share with the rest of us.
no motor? is offline  
Old 03-13-18, 07:29 PM
  #28  
dannwilliams
Its only pain
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hammond, WI
Posts: 929

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
If/when people get up there on tour I hope you'll take pictures to share with the rest of us.
Will do!!
dannwilliams is offline  
Old 03-15-18, 07:56 PM
  #29  
dannwilliams
Its only pain
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hammond, WI
Posts: 929

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. I just did a Google map for a beginning rough estimate for what I would do. I have 10 days off. First day is driving to Manitowoc and taking the ferry across. Last day is the opposite. That leaves me 8 days for what Google maps is listing at 460 miles. If I were to go up and over through the UP back to Manitowoc, it is about 520 miles. When I did my other trips, a long day was 80 miles. That was a half decade ago before the "incident" that gave me a new hip. I'm feeling a bit concerned with the miles and timeframe. Is the riding easy in Michigan, or can I expect a lot of up and down elevation? BTW, I got my APPROVED time off request form back!
dannwilliams is offline  
Old 03-21-18, 08:36 AM
  #30  
5teve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Frankfort is a great little place, a little touristy but still has a small northern "slow down," town kind of feel. Plenty of places to eat and resupply. I recommend staying north of town at the NFS Platte River campground. It's a beautiful place, and affordable. Take 22 north from there next day to Empire and jump on the Sleeping Bear Dunes Heritage trail. It's scenic, windy, twisting and paved, and will take you all the way round to Glen Arbor and even a bit past. (it's being extended every year) If you have the energy to spare, do the Pierce Stocking loop which intersects the Heritage Trail. It's 7 miles one way, very scenic and fun but very, VERY hilly. Worth it but tiring. Indigo Bluffs is a decent campground just south of Glen Arbor. Tent sites are limited, tho.

Orchard Beach State Campground north of Manistee is a decent little place to overnight between Ludington and Empire if you want.

You will find hilly terrain in the area, no mountains but lots of steady climbs that extend up to a mile, and lots more shorter ones. It's beautiful but it's not easy rolling terrain. The Cherry Capital Cycling club out of Traverse City has a lot of area routes options on there website.

I don't have enough posts to be allowed to share links but google will get you more info about all that.

Last edited by 5teve; 03-21-18 at 08:48 AM.
5teve is offline  
Old 03-21-18, 11:24 AM
  #31  
dannwilliams
Its only pain
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hammond, WI
Posts: 929

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate any and all helpful pointers I can get!

Originally Posted by 5teve View Post
Frankfort is a great little place, a little touristy but still has a small northern "slow down," town kind of feel. Plenty of places to eat and resupply. I recommend staying north of town at the NFS Platte River campground. It's a beautiful place, and affordable. Take 22 north from there next day to Empire and jump on the Sleeping Bear Dunes Heritage trail. It's scenic, windy, twisting and paved, and will take you all the way round to Glen Arbor and even a bit past. (it's being extended every year) If you have the energy to spare, do the Pierce Stocking loop which intersects the Heritage Trail. It's 7 miles one way, very scenic and fun but very, VERY hilly. Worth it but tiring. Indigo Bluffs is a decent campground just south of Glen Arbor. Tent sites are limited, tho.

Orchard Beach State Campground north of Manistee is a decent little place to overnight between Ludington and Empire if you want.

You will find hilly terrain in the area, no mountains but lots of steady climbs that extend up to a mile, and lots more shorter ones. It's beautiful but it's not easy rolling terrain. The Cherry Capital Cycling club out of Traverse City has a lot of area routes options on there website.

I don't have enough posts to be allowed to share links but google will get you more info about all that.
dannwilliams is offline  
Old 06-28-18, 10:28 AM
  #32  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,412

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I live in the Petoskey/Harbor Springs area and will echo what others have said about this area is a must see. If you come into Charlevoix, get on the Little Traverse Wheelway and ride it through to Harbor Springs. You can ride Lake St in Harbor through to M119 at the west end of town where Lake St intersects. Go N on M119 for the Tunnel of Trees ride into Cross Village and further to Mackinaw. It’s gorgeous scenery!

Give me a PM when you come through and I may join you for a section if you dont mind some company.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 06-28-18 at 12:02 PM.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 07-23-18, 06:52 AM
  #33  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
Posts: 11,570

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey @dannwilliams and @Tesgin, where are the pics and trip reports?
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 07-23-18, 03:15 PM
  #34  
dannwilliams
Its only pain
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hammond, WI
Posts: 929

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
Hey @dannwilliams and @Tesgin, where are the pics and trip reports?
I wound up selling my house and moved on my vacation. The trip in Michigan will be done at some time in the future
dannwilliams is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.