Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Mi: Sterling/Red Run Drain Pathway

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Mi: Sterling/Red Run Drain Pathway

Old 10-29-21, 02:40 PM
  #1  
detroitjim
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
detroitjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
Mi: Sterling/Red Run Drain Pathway

Just found out about this. Get the word out!!! As a previously proposed portion(*western most) of the same pathway was squashed by NIMBYs because the bicycling community wasn't made aware of the project.


Macomb County Department of Roads has requested that the Red Run Intercounty Drain Drainage District construct the 1.35 mile waterfront trail portion of the Grant Work
(“Waterfront Trail”) as part of the Project. The Waterfront Trail consists of a ten-foot-wide,aggregate trail, commencing at Schoenherr Road, and following at the north bank of the Sterling Relief Drain, then following the north bank of the Red Run Intercounty Drain, terminating at Metropolitan Parkway




Intercounty Drain Drainage District meeting minutes March 17,2021

https://www.oakgov.com/water/resourc...a%20packet.pdf


*Initially the pathway was to begin at Nelson Park about 5 miles west of Schoenherr
detroitjim is offline  
Old 10-30-21, 05:27 AM
  #2  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,300 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
Just found out about this. Get the word out!!! As a previously proposed portion(*western most) of the same pathway was squashed by NIMBYs because the bicycling community wasn't made aware of the project.


Macomb County Department of Roads has requested that the Red Run Intercounty Drain Drainage District construct the 1.35 mile waterfront trail portion of the Grant Work
(“Waterfront Trail”) as part of the Project. The Waterfront Trail consists of a ten-foot-wide,aggregate trail, commencing at Schoenherr Road, and following at the north bank of the Sterling Relief Drain, then following the north bank of the Red Run Intercounty Drain, terminating at Metropolitan Parkway

Intercounty Drain Drainage District meeting minutes March 17,2021

https://www.oakgov.com/water/resourc...a%20packet.pdf


*Initially the pathway was to begin at Nelson Park about 5 miles west of Schoenherr
I'd like to first state in response to the info, THANKS!
If it were expanded to the additional distance as previously planned; that [IMO] would reduce a lot of safety risks for those that go from the most eastern [Amphitheatre] side of the drain over to Halmich Park.

The distance is better than nothing, but it should ideally connect back into the northern metro ped area or continue where it can meet to a lower vehicle MPH & traffic density area (Martin/Common). I get why aggregate is being used, however, that is another 1/2 stepping logic for [again; IMO] ped use.

What I will never accept at this point from this state is the lack of continuity for trail/pathway projects. If the pathways are paved wide, well kept {IE: flooding, holes, cracks & bumps addressed in a timely manner} & routed to avoid interfering with motorized traffic, then the road rage is greatly reduced which will naturally promote ped safety & be more likely used... but hey, I am no politician & have no seat in the decision making with the tax payers money. Much rather see open space with no roads be purposed for non-motorized traffic rather than roads marked with "Bike Lane".

I looked at the PDF. & didn't see an image to outline the proposed route plan. That would be something to add into the PDF. to help understand what is [again; IMO] being put in place.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 10-30-21, 08:05 PM
  #3  
detroitjim
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
detroitjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
I looked at the PDF. & didn't see an image to outline the proposed route plan.

Here's what the original plan looked like. Must believe that nothing has changed ,other than the only portion being constructed is east of Schoenner.

https://gis.macombgov.org/appsdev/St...f/Overview.pdf
detroitjim is offline  
Likes For detroitjim:
Old 10-31-21, 01:58 PM
  #4  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,300 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
Here's what the original plan looked like. Must believe that nothing has changed ,other than the only portion being constructed is east of Schoenner.

https://gis.macombgov.org/appsdev/St...f/Overview.pdf
That looks like a nice route if paved & maintained.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 01-09-22, 10:27 PM
  #5  
detroitjim
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
detroitjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
One of the local fish wraps just broke the story!

Maybe the propagation delay is a good thing. Decision made ,funds appropriated before the anti's can stop it.

https://www.macombdaily.com/2022/01/...l-county-park/

Last edited by detroitjim; 01-16-22 at 12:48 PM.
detroitjim is offline  
Likes For detroitjim:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.