Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Advice for a short wisconsin/michigan bike tour

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Advice for a short wisconsin/michigan bike tour

Old 04-01-14, 05:56 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice for a short wisconsin/michigan bike tour

My wife and I are thinking about a 400 mile or so self supported bike tour in late August/early September. We're from California, but for some reason I got a bee in my bonnet to tour a bit in the upper midwest, and this area looks appealing to me because it's near water, and there can be boat trips involved! We'll be both camping and staying in motels. We're in our 60s, so we don't move very fast either (30-50 miles/day). We're giving ourselves 2 weeks so we can enjoy the route and take time to hang out here and there.

So, we're thinking of starting in Milwaukee and going north by something like the following:
1) Start in Milwaukee (we have family there, so it's a good start/end spot for us).
2) Ride north by some route to Door county. We don't know whether staying close to Lake Michigan is best to get up to Door, or whether going inland to Lake Winnebago is better.
3) Ride back to Manitowoc and then take the ferry to Ludington MI.
4) Ride by some route south to Muskegon MI. Again, should we stay nearer the lake or go inland?
5) Ferry back to Milwaukee.

So, for you Wisconsin and Michigan road riders out there, what do you think? Any particular routes we should take to make this as enjoyable as possible? Any specific places we should not miss?
xenomera is offline  
Old 04-01-14, 08:21 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
BR46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheboygan Falls WI.
Posts: 277

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
I would take the Ozaukee Interurban trail from Milwaukee to Oostburg. From Sheboygan take county road LS along the lake front to Manitowoc.
Just north of Oostburg theres camping at Kohler-Andrae State Park or 2 mi. west of the park is a hotel. There all so Blue Harbor in Sheboygan.
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin - Interurban Trail - Past News!
Kohler-Andrae State Park - Wisconsin DNR
Sheboygan WI Hotels -- Sleep Inn And Suites Pet-friendly Hotel Near Lake Michigan
Sheboygan Hotels | Blue Harbor Resort & Spa | Wisconsin

If you have questions of things to do along the lake front send me a pm.
BR46 is offline  
Old 04-01-14, 09:02 PM
  #3  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek,

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Michigan and have been to Dore county. Seems two weeks isn't a lot of time-losing a day each way on the ferry. Dore county alone from Milwaukee may offer enough. But if you do come to Michigan I'd think about somehow coming across on the the ferry to Ludington and heading north. It doesn't get any prettier than that little part of Michigan sticking out starting at Frankfort, up thru Empire, Glen Arbor, Northport, back down thru Suttons Bay and into Traverse City. Also, especially if you go south check out the map from Michigan Trails and Greenways-show the system of rail trails in Michigan. Lastly I'd come after Labor Day-schools start that week and the last week of August all the campgrounds and hotels are pretty crowded.
Pete712 is offline  
Old 04-02-14, 08:10 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Michigan route might be an interesting alternative. Are there enough hotels/campgrounds/groceries/restaurants in that section of Michigan to make it relatively easy to do a bike tour?
xenomera is offline  
Old 04-02-14, 08:49 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,981
Liked 16,522 Times in 7,744 Posts
Have you looked at this?:

North Lakes | Adventure Cycling Route Network | Adventure Cycling Association

Their Lake Erie Connector might also be of interest.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-02-14, 09:04 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have you looked at this?:

North Lakes | Adventure Cycling Route Network | Adventure Cycling Association

Their Lake Erie Connector might also be of interest.
I have used their maps a number of times before, and they are very useful. Thanks for reminding me that they have a route around this portion of the country. I just now ordered the Michigan map in case I take the northwest Michigan option suggested above. Have you taken this route?
xenomera is offline  
Old 04-02-14, 09:35 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,319

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by BR46
Hi
I would take the Ozaukee Interurban trail from Milwaukee to Oostburg. From Sheboygan take county road LS along the lake front to Manitowoc.
Just north of Oostburg theres camping at Kohler-Andrae State Park or 2 mi. west of the park is a hotel. There all so Blue Harbor in Sheboygan.
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin - Interurban Trail - Past News!
Kohler-Andrae State Park - Wisconsin DNR
Sheboygan WI Hotels -- Sleep Inn And Suites Pet-friendly Hotel Near Lake Michigan
Sheboygan Hotels | Blue Harbor Resort & Spa | Wisconsin

If you have questions of things to do along the lake front send me a pm.
Last couple of years, I rode the inter urban all the time, but it doesn't go all the way to Milwaukee. You could take the Oak Leaf Trail north through Brown Deer Park, where you can pick up the interurban. Or you can stick closer to the lakeshore via lake drive all the way into Port Washington, then head north out of Port Washington on the Interurban Trail

The only caveat is, if you go the Oak Leaf Trail route out of Milwaukee, the area around Estabrook Park into Brown Deer Park is in a poor state of disrepair. I rode that section just once and swore I wouldn't do it again and instead chose either to ride east along Lake Drive or ride north through River Hills, then taking Range Line Road north through Brown Deer into Mequon, then either picking up the Interurban a mile or so West on Mequon Road, or navigate a residential neighborhood between Mequon Road and Highland Road (the route is circuitous, but safe residential, and you will get through if you head north on Oriole Lane from Mequon Road), heading east on Highland Road across the overpass and turning left on N. Lakeshore Drive by Concordia University. Then following the Lake all the way into Port Washington.

Here is a website that explains it. I rode these routes extensively last year as far north as Belgium. It was pretty much my regular route. Just a few climbs, none especially long or steep.

Bike Milwaukee to Door County

Last edited by MRT2; 04-02-14 at 09:47 AM.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 04-02-14, 09:38 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,981
Liked 16,522 Times in 7,744 Posts
Originally Posted by xenomera
Have you taken this route?

No. I did the entire Northern Tier many years ago. Our only experience with WI was one day near Osceola. I have also done a portion of the Trans Am, a portion of the Great Parks North and the entirety of the Great Parks South. Heading to Missoula in June for another ride around SW MT.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 06:47 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete712
I'm in Michigan and have been to Dore county. Seems two weeks isn't a lot of time-losing a day each way on the ferry. Dore county alone from Milwaukee may offer enough. But if you do come to Michigan I'd think about somehow coming across on the the ferry to Ludington and heading north. It doesn't get any prettier than that little part of Michigan sticking out starting at Frankfort, up thru Empire, Glen Arbor, Northport, back down thru Suttons Bay and into Traverse City. Also, especially if you go south check out the map from Michigan Trails and Greenways-show the system of rail trails in Michigan. Lastly I'd come after Labor Day-schools start that week and the last week of August all the campgrounds and hotels are pretty crowded.
I'm more and more tempted by this Michigan route. Apparently, there is a Michigander bike route this year through those areas, and although I won't be there at that time of year, I can get the maps for the route.

So, since you've done both, given a choice for someone from out of the area, would you do a tour up to Dore county or spend time in the northwest part of lower Michigan?
xenomera is offline  
Old 04-11-14, 11:45 AM
  #10  
Unlisted member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,192

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've rode both sides of Lake Michigan on a motorcycle, and spent most of the time in Door County at my ex-wifes parent's cabin. Personally, I think the roads on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan are prettier and should be more "tourist friendly". But you've got 2 good choices, why limit yourself to one?
no motor? is offline  
Old 04-28-14, 10:18 AM
  #11  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Bikes: Trek Domane, Salsa Vaya, Trek Farley 5, Trek DS 8.4

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey,

I’ve done some research on trips similar to those you’re considering. My sons and I are trying to piece together a trip for this summer. Our trip would be shorter than those you’re considering. We only have a week (not two). That means we’ll cover around 250 miles (not 400). Like you we max out at about 50 miles per day. Also, like you, we camp and will stay in a hotel when we have to. Here are the basics on two itineraries:

Milwaukee to Door County
Day 1: Milwaukee to Kohler Andrae State Park 50 miles
Day 2: Kohler Andrae to Point Beach State Forest 50 miles
Day 3: Point Beach to Cedar Valley Campground (private) 35 miles
Day 4: Cedar Valley to Potawatomi State Park 41 miles
Day 5: Potawotomi to Penninsula State Park 41 miles
Day 6: Penninsula to Newport State Park 35 miles

With this trip, you’re camping in five of Wisconsin’s best state parks and forests.

Milwaukee to Michigan Ferries Loop
Day 1: Milwaukee to Kohler Andrae State Park 50 miles
Day 2: Kohler Andrae to Ferry in Manitowac 36 miles
Ferry departs 2:00 PM. Arrives Ludington 7:00 PM.
6.5 miles to Ludington Beach State Park, MI
Day 3: Ludington Beach to Leverentz State Forest Camp. 48 miles
Day 4: Leverentz to Mecosta Pines Camp. (private) 47 miles
Day 5: Mecosta Pines to Comfort Suites, Grand Rapids 35 miles
Day 6: Comfort Suites to Muskegon Ferry 46 miles
Ferry departs 4:45 PM. Arrives Milwaukee 6:15 PM.

You should know we use trails at every opportunity. When we’re not on trails, we’re on lighty used backroads. Taking more direct routes can shorten many of the days’ mileages. We like the safety and tranquility of the trails.

Of course there are plenty of hotels and B n’ Bs along the way.
CampDaley is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 06:52 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 251

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD13, Motobecane Vent Noir

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The first "Over the Top" tour is this June. They take the ferry from Luddington, MI and ride north (over the top) around lake Michigan. West Michigan Trails Annual Event There's camping/hotel availability at each of their stops. I'm sure you could use the same pass-through towns for your self-supported tour. Enjoy! It's a beautiful time of year to cycle in Michigan.
LansingWes is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 03:33 PM
  #13  
Its only pain
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hammond, WI
Posts: 930

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CampDaley

Milwaukee to Michigan Ferries Loop
Day 1: Milwaukee to Kohler Andrae State Park 50 miles
Day 2: Kohler Andrae to Ferry in Manitowac 36 miles
Ferry departs 2:00 PM. Arrives Ludington 7:00 PM.
6.5 miles to Ludington Beach State Park, MI
Day 3: Ludington Beach to Leverentz State Forest Camp. 48 miles
Day 4: Leverentz to Mecosta Pines Camp. (private) 47 miles
Day 5: Mecosta Pines to Comfort Suites, Grand Rapids 35 miles
Day 6: Comfort Suites to Muskegon Ferry 46 miles
Ferry departs 4:45 PM. Arrives Milwaukee 6:15 PM.

You should know we use trails at every opportunity. When we’re not on trails, we’re on lighty used backroads. Taking more direct routes can shorten many of the days’ mileages. We like the safety and tranquility of the trails.

Of course there are plenty of hotels and B n’ Bs along the way.
This looks like a fantastic trip, one I wouldn't mind doing! I have been begging the wife to take the ferry across the lake, she balks at the price. I just think it would be fun!
dannwilliams is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 06:54 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
BR46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheboygan Falls WI.
Posts: 277

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CampDaley

Milwaukee to Michigan Ferries Loop
Day 1: Milwaukee to Kohler Andrae State Park 50 miles
Day 2: Kohler Andrae to Ferry in Manitowac 36 miles
Ferry departs 2:00 PM. Arrives Ludington 7:00 PM.
6.5 miles to Ludington Beach State Park, MI
Day 3: Ludington Beach to Leverentz State Forest Camp. 48 miles
Day 4: Leverentz to Mecosta Pines Camp. (private) 47 miles
Day 5: Mecosta Pines to Comfort Suites, Grand Rapids 35 miles
Day 6: Comfort Suites to Muskegon Ferry 46 miles
Ferry departs 4:45 PM. Arrives Milwaukee 6:15 PM.

My wife and I are planning on doing a trip like this some time this summer.
Last summer we took the Lake Express ferry to Muskegon with no plans and we manage to put on 130 miles in three days.
BR46 is offline  
Old 04-30-14, 08:46 AM
  #15  
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 957

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Liked 691 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by LansingWes
The first "Over the Top" tour is this June. They take the ferry from Luddington, MI and ride north (over the top) around lake Michigan. West Michigan Trails Annual Event There's camping/hotel availability at each of their stops. I'm sure you could use the same pass-through towns for your self-supported tour. Enjoy! It's a beautiful time of year to cycle in Michigan.
I'll be there. It's a bit pricier than I'm used to but I've never taken either ferry or pedaled around the lake. The west side of lower Michigan is indeed very scenic. I've done the League of Michigan Bicyclists' Shoreline West tour three times. It never disappoints. And the second half of Over-the-Top is basically the same route.
skijor is offline  
Old 05-01-14, 01:29 PM
  #16  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Bikes: Trek Domane, Salsa Vaya, Trek Farley 5, Trek DS 8.4

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LansingWes
The first "Over the Top" tour is this June. They take the ferry from Luddington, MI and ride north (over the top) around lake Michigan. West Michigan Trails Annual Event There's camping/hotel availability at each of their stops. I'm sure you could use the same pass-through towns for your self-supported tour. Enjoy! It's a beautiful time of year to cycle in Michigan.
Thanks for the link. Looks great.
CampDaley is offline  
Old 05-11-14, 11:00 AM
  #17  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,639

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,474 Times in 2,106 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2

The only caveat is, if you go the Oak Leaf Trail route out of Milwaukee, the area around Estabrook Park into Brown Deer Park is in a poor state of disrepair. I rode that section just once and swore I wouldn't do it again and instead chose either to ride east along Lake Drive or ride north through River Hills, then taking Range Line Road north through Brown Deer into Mequon, then either picking up the Interurban a mile or so West on Mequon Road, or navigate a residential neighborhood between Mequon Road and Highland Road (the route is circuitous, but safe residential, and you will get through if you head north on Oriole Lane from Mequon Road), heading east on Highland Road across the overpass and turning left on N. Lakeshore Drive by Concordia University. Then following the Lake all the way into Port Washington.
Bike Milwaukee to Door County
The Oak Leaf has a new off road extension that stays off road and connects to the Interurban. It can be picked up on Mill Rd at Sidney Pl just west of Kletsch Park.
Phases 1,2,&3 are complete.
https://theactivepursuit.com/county-s...ern-expansion/
dedhed is offline  
Old 06-16-14, 07:48 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Ridefreemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Florida
Posts: 1,581

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Been through that whole area on a motorcycle so not much help (as the distances are way different), but the trip across the lake to Manitowoc was great! I have also ridden the Michigander when it went from Cadillac to Mackinaw. That was an awesome ride and great camping, but some of that would not be usable by you as they made special arrangements with Schools etc. However, the towns we went to were perfect. You may want to check to see where they have gone from year to year to get ideas.
Ridefreemc is offline  
Old 08-06-14, 12:04 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is farther West than you are looking at, but the bluffs of Southwest WI are breathtaking and you can ride 101 miles on trails alone on the 400 trail. Sparta, WI is the bicycle capital of America, and the tunnels on the Elroy Sparta Trail are amazing. One is 3/4 mile of total darkness! And it happens to be the first of the Rails to Trails.
LovelyLisa119 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
kristinaz
Northern California
2
08-12-15 05:13 PM
deadsouls.
Touring
13
09-18-14 02:10 PM
antokelly
Touring
56
10-21-11 10:56 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.