Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7.4 second water bottle?

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek 7.4 second water bottle?

Old 04-14-15, 03:54 PM
  #1  
Aqua_Andy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek 7.4 second water bottle?

I have a trek 7.4 with 17.5" frame that I have been riding for three or so years now. My problem Is the bike only has mounts for one water bottle cage. I have tried wearing a camel back but do not like wearing anything on my back as I tend to sweat a lot. I was wondering if anyone else had a bike with only one set of mounts and came up with a solution.
Aqua_Andy is offline  
Old 04-14-15, 04:21 PM
  #2  
RussB
Senior Member
 
RussB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, MA
Posts: 296

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to amazon.com and search for: bottle cage mount

you can find mounts for about any bar on your bike.

I needed a third, 2 for bottles, one for a pump.
RussB is offline  
Old 04-14-15, 04:32 PM
  #3  
Aqua_Andy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
Go to amazon.com and search for: bottle cage mount

you can find mounts for about any bar on your bike.

I needed a third, 2 for bottles, one for a pump.
Thanks, but the problem is where to put the mount. The top bar slopes at such an angle that there is no room for another bottle. If I had the room on the frame for another cage I would just drill and install a couple nutserts like they do at the factory.
Aqua_Andy is offline  
Old 04-14-15, 04:34 PM
  #4  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,866

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You sure about that? Every hybrid I have seen made in the last 20 years had mounts for at least two water bottles.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 04-14-15, 04:53 PM
  #5  
Grey.
Senior Member
 
Grey.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 478

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
You sure about that? Every hybrid I have seen made in the last 20 years had mounts for at least two water bottles.
Trek only uses one mount on the downtube for their frames that are 17.5" and smaller.
Grey. is offline  
Old 04-14-15, 04:58 PM
  #6  
mwl001
Senior Member
 
mwl001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 133

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat tube? Handle bar? Those are the two easiest I can think of that won't mess with you while riding or at rest, assuming you have no saddle bag.
mwl001 is offline  
Old 04-14-15, 05:18 PM
  #7  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,866

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post
Seat tube? Handle bar? Those are the two easiest I can think of that won't mess with you while riding or at rest, assuming you have no saddle bag.
I mounted one of those on my son's old mountain bike when we went for longer rides. Not the prettiest setup, but it works.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 04-14-15, 05:24 PM
  #8  
yashinon
Senior Member
 
yashinon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 717

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aqua_Andy View Post
I have a trek 7.4 with 17.5" frame that I have been riding for three or so years now. My problem Is the bike only has mounts for one water bottle cage. I have tried wearing a camel back but do not like wearing anything on my back as I tend to sweat a lot. I was wondering if anyone else had a bike with only one set of mounts and came up with a solution.
I have a 7.4 and thought about the 2nd water bottle as well. I picked up a rear trunk bag which holds a water bottle and much more:

http://www.amazon.com/Commuter-Carri...s=bv+trunk+bag
yashinon is offline  
Old 04-15-15, 01:04 AM
  #9  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,936

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Aqua_Andy View Post
Thanks, but the problem is where to put the mount. The top bar slopes at such an angle that there is no room for another bottle. If I had the room on the frame for another cage I would just drill and install a couple nutserts like they do at the factory.
This creates a mount for any water bottle, on various points of your bike.

Topeak Cage Mount | Chain Reaction Cycles



Also there are bottle cage attachments that go behind a saddle that may be of use to you.

Profile Aqua Rear Mount | Evans Cycles

wiggle.com.au | Profile Aqua Rear Mount Bottle Cage System | Bottle Cages



Tacx Saddle Clamp for Bottle Cage | Chain Reaction Cycles

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
profile-aqua-rear-mount.jpg (32.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
tacx-b6202-med.jpg (22.2 KB, 8 views)
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 04-17-15, 08:00 AM
  #10  
Calder Benson
Senior Member
 
Calder Benson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 242

Bikes: '14 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Col. I think that's just what the doctor ordered.
Calder Benson is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Moriarty
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
44
09-04-15 08:35 AM
randyjawa
Classic and Vintage Sales
17
06-08-15 10:08 PM
Dr.Deltron
Classic & Vintage
5
09-08-07 09:51 PM
MAK
Road Cycling
20
10-14-05 11:15 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.