Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-18, 07:06 PM   #1226
Delwis
FXer
 
Delwis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2018 Trek FX S 6
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
The AW2's and the wheels that came on my FXs6 are tubeless-ready. IIUC, all you need is the rim strip, the valves, and a couple of ounces of sealant. No tape required.

I talked with my Trek dealer this afternoon...he said that TLR Road rim strip that I linked is the correct one for my 700x25c, along with the 32mm silver road valve stems.

Conversion to tubeless has quite the rabid cult following (like a lot of bicycling trends) - so much so that it makes me suspicious. I've been resistant to the trend, but recently succumbed and converted my Farley EX8 to tubeless. It's cheap to do and is reversible if it turns out to be a big PITA. I'll get out and ride it if and when the temps get above 0F. I couldn't care less about the static weight savings but I'm hoping that the decrease in rolling weight will make it worth the effort.

,,,


Thanks for the info Cuyuna. I thought about going tubeless but (chickened out) decided to opt for the Continental 4Seasons. I'll be riding a lot in low temps so their specs are good for me.
Delwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-18, 09:01 AM   #1227
Cuyuna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delwis View Post

Thanks for the info Cuyuna. I thought about going tubeless but (chickened out) decided to opt for the Continental 4Seasons. I'll be riding a lot in low temps so their specs are good for me.
I can see the argument for tubeless on a mountain bike, or especially a fat tire bike where frequent acceleration is needed for addressing some types of terrain, and where the tires are big and heavy with a lot of rotating mass. Not convinced of the benefit of tubeless on a road bike with 25mm tires, but I'll give it a try. It's not particularly expensive, unlikely to hurt, might help. We'll see.....
Cuyuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 10:13 AM   #1228
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 6,769
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
I am thinking about buying a '18 FX1. I want v-brakes and a steel fork. The group is irrelevant because I plan to upgrade to a Tiagra 4703 group anyway so this bike would be great. Does anyone know how well this Duotrap S thingy works?

Lazyass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 10:36 AM   #1229
Tommy1955
Senior Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I'm using it on my FX3. I had the shop install it (recommended). The first one I got was a faulty computer. The 2nd. one they installed is great. I use the cadence on it too.
Tommy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 11:01 AM   #1230
Cuyuna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
I am thinking about buying a '18 FX1. I want v-brakes and a steel fork. The group is irrelevant because I plan to upgrade to a Tiagra 4703 group anyway so this bike would be great. Does anyone know how well this Duotrap S thingy works?
I donít know which DuoTrap model goes on which bikes, but my FXs6 uses the DuoTrap speed and cadence sensor. I used the DuoTrap S on my Crossrip, both transmitting to a Trip 300. Worked very well for me.
Cuyuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 01:18 PM   #1231
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes
 
Fitness Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southwest Florida
Bikes: 2018 Trek FX S 4 (2)
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Lazyass;20160103]I am thinking about buying a '18 FX1. I want v-brakes and a steel fork. The group is irrelevant because I plan to upgrade to a Tiagra 4703 group anyway so this bike would be great. Does anyone know how well this Duotrap S thingy works?

We have two 2018 Trek FX S 4 bikes and have the Bontrager DuoTrap S Digital Sensor and the Bontrager Trip 300 Bike Computer installed on both bikes. They were a piece of cake to put on, simple and straight forward procedure. Might as well learn how to put them on as at some point you will need to take the sensor out of the chainstay to replace the battery in it. I think it is important when installing the sensor in the chainstay to not over torque the small bolt that holds the sensor in place. There is no need to make that thing too tight ! ! ! ! I would imagine if you over torque it you would be likely to perhaps crack the little circuit board inside of the sensor rendering it inoperable.

The units paired up quickly and running through the set up menu was quick and easy. They have been very reliable and accurate as best we can tell and since the Trip 300 unit is paired to one specific DuoTrap S sensor there are not any interference problems when the bikes are sitting handle bar end to handle bar end - both units stay totally independent and there has been no interference issues at all with them. Had them on the bikes for almost three months now and they have worked without issue for the past 1,000 miles.

The DuoTrap S sensor kit includes some rubber magnet bands to install on the left crank arm to trigger the cadence function of the unit but we did not use them. I went to Home Depot and got a pack of six neodymium disc magnets, SKU#095421070466, that are .472 in diameter and .118 in thickness. These little magnets are strong and fit perfectly on the end of the pedal axle shaft on the inside of the left crank arm.

Works perfectly, and makes for a very clean looking install. Just did not like the look of the rubber cadence bands and would imagine that at some point the rubber will give out. Just popped the magnets on the end of the pedal axle shaft and they have not moved since installed. If you use a larger magnet, and a larger one will fit, the magnet will be too strong and cause erratic readings on the speedometer portion of the unit. I first just tried to use the magnets that came in the crank bands in the sensor kit and found that the large ones were too strong and the small ones were so small that they were likely to fall off of the axle shaft. My guess on why the large magnets that came with the sensor kit were too strong is that when using the rubber cadence bands the magnets end up in a different position relative to the sensor than when they are mounted on the pedal axle. The magnets ones from Home Depot worked perfectly.

Based upon our experience with the DuoTrap S Sensor units we would certainly recommend them.


Frank
Fitness Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 01:32 PM   #1232
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 6,769
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
I guess I'm trying to figure out what is special about the DuoTrap. How is it any different than a computer with cadence and all the other stuff, besides not needing to have a sensor on the fork leg?
Lazyass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 01:50 PM   #1233
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes
 
Fitness Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southwest Florida
Bikes: 2018 Trek FX S 4 (2)
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
I guess I'm trying to figure out what is special about the DuoTrap. How is it any different than a computer with cadence and all the other stuff, besides not needing to have a sensor on the fork leg?

I would not say that there is anything really "special" about the DuoTrap S unit other than it provides a very clean and neat looking out of the way installation on some of the Trek bike models. The unit provides all of the information that we desire to have and can be matched up to a heart rate monitor, which I doubt we will ever do.

Lots of other devices in the marketplace for sure, Garmin and others have lots of offerings. For us using the inside of the chainstay mounting for the sensor and the blendr stem mount for the trip computer gave a nice clean looking, easy to use and functional combination. Other units offer much more information than does the Bontrager unit and some offer less or equal amounts of info with prices running from fairly economical to quite expensive. Just have to decide what it is you want from a bike computer, how much you want to spend and how you like the mounting system offered.

Special, no I would not call it special, bike specific, yes it will only fit Trek bikes set up for the sensor. We like ours and would buy them again.

Frank
Fitness Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 02:14 PM   #1234
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 6,769
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Rider View Post
I would not say that there is anything really "special" about the DuoTrap S unit other than it provides a very clean and neat looking out of the way installation on some of the Trek bike models. The unit provides all of the information that we desire to have and can be matched up to a heart rate monitor, which I doubt we will ever do.

Lots of other devices in the marketplace for sure, Garmin and others have lots of offerings. For us using the inside of the chainstay mounting for the sensor and the blendr stem mount for the trip computer gave a nice clean looking, easy to use and functional combination. Other units offer much more information than does the Bontrager unit and some offer less or equal amounts of info with prices running from fairly economical to quite expensive. Just have to decide what it is you want from a bike computer, how much you want to spend and how you like the mounting system offered.

Special, no I would not call it special, bike specific, yes it will only fit Trek bikes set up for the sensor. We like ours and would buy them again.

Frank
Thanks. I do like the clean look of it. It's nice that Trek has them on even the lower end models now.
Lazyass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 04:08 PM   #1235
Cuyuna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
The difference between the DuoTrap Speed/Cadence and the DuoTrap S that you’ll have to use on your bike is the swing arm of the cadence sensor. With the DuoTrap S, you may need a lot of extra spacers to get the magnet close enough to the sensor, depending on the bike. With the more elegant DuiTrap, you just need to swing the arm out to be closer to the magnet on the crank arm.

The real advantage to the DuoTrap is its nice clean look with optimal positioning and no need for a bunch of zip ties to kludge the sensor to the frame. The DuoTrap S is only slightly less convenient, and equally convenient if you decide to forego the cadence magnet.

Last edited by Cuyuna; 02-09-18 at 04:17 PM.
Cuyuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 06:45 PM   #1236
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes
 
Fitness Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southwest Florida
Bikes: 2018 Trek FX S 4 (2)
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
The difference between the DuoTrap Speed/Cadence and the DuoTrap S that you’ll have to use on your bike is the swing arm of the cadence sensor. With the DuoTrap S, you may need a lot of extra spacers to get the magnet close enough to the sensor, depending on the bike. With the more elegant DuiTrap, you just need to swing the arm out to be closer to the magnet on the crank arm.

The real advantage to the DuoTrap is its nice clean look with optimal positioning and no need for a bunch of zip ties to kludge the sensor to the frame. The DuoTrap S is only slightly less convenient, and equally convenient if you decide to forego the cadence magnet.
On our two DuoTrap S Digital Sensors on our 2018 Trek FX S 4 bikes there was no need for any spacers to get a magnet in position to work although in reading some of the reviews on the DuoTrap S it seems that several people have indicated problems with the installation and operation of the unit with regard to the cadence sensor. In our experience with the DuoTrap S we have had no issues with operation.

There were several options in the kit with regard to rubber crank mounted cadence magnet holders, and magnets, that did work properly, we just did not like the way the rubber magnet band looked on the crank arm. We installed the magnets that I referred to in an earlier post that we got from Home Depot directly on the end of the pedal axle and they work perfectly. Nice, clean install with steady non-wavering cadence information being sent to the Bontrager 300 computer on the blendr stem mount.

I have never owned the older DuoTrap Digital Sensor (non S model) so I can not speak to how well it does or does not work. In our experience of installing and using the DuoTrap S units we have not found any aspect of installation or use that we would consider as inconvenient.

As long as it works, we are happy campers and thus far the units are working perfectly and as advertised.

Frank

Last edited by Fitness Rider; 02-09-18 at 06:49 PM.
Fitness Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 07:46 PM   #1237
Scooty Puff Jr
Senior Member
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
Thanks. I do like the clean look of it. It's nice that Trek has them on even the lower end models now.
If you like a real clean look, than buy a GPS type bike computer, then you don’t need a sensor at all, my Trek has the Duo Trap mount and I ended up buying a Lezyne Super GPS computer, and I love it. To me, I don’t think the Duo Trap Sensor is worth the $60-$80 plus the computer, it’s just a way for Trek to sell more of their house brand accessories.
Scooty Puff Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 07:56 PM   #1238
Cuyuna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I use a Garmin Explore 1000, but it's connected to DuoTrap/DuoTrap S on my bikes, so sensor data comes via ANT+. A GPS unit might work fine, but it won't give you cadence without the magnet sensor. As sensors go on most current model Trek road bikes, the DuoTrap is pretty slick.

The DuoTrap S on my Crossrip works fine, but it required a little more than 1/4 inch of spacers on the crank arm to get the magnet close enough to the DuoTrap.
Cuyuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 12:43 PM   #1239
mtpwaz
Newbie
 
mtpwaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Westchester NY
Bikes: Trek FX 3 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just picked up Trek FX 3 (matte black 20") this past Saturday. It's replacing a Target Schwinn Ranger I've had for over a decade. Because of the weather I only got to ride it around my neighborhood a little Saturday. Too cold for much else. Ordered some cool weather riding clothes so I'm ready for the first day in the 50s to head out. Anything below that is too cold for me.

My little neighborhood tour was a dream. Can't wait to go longer.

Still trying to decide if the duotrap S + computer would be better than my usual Fitbit + phone to keep track of mileage and mapping. If anyone has used both let me know what you think.

Edit: Forgot to say I'm so happy someone over on Imgur pointed me this way. Great stuff.

Last edited by mtpwaz; 02-13-18 at 12:47 PM.
mtpwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 06:18 PM   #1240
Delwis
FXer
 
Delwis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2018 Trek FX S 6
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpwaz View Post
Just picked up Trek FX 3 (matte black 20") this past Saturday.
Congratulations!
Delwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION