Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Reply

Old 10-14-18, 05:34 PM
  #1451  
csrpenfab
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My favorite new bike arrived on Thursday. 2019 Trek FX6 Sport. Took her home to de-sticker, de-reflector, and remove that annoying spoke disc. I took her out for a nice 30 mile test ride yesterday. Very happy with the bike. So light, quick, and the components are all perfect. I had my LBS add a Bontrager 300 computer and the DuoTrack S unit when they built it up. Having owned some high end road and mountain bikes in the past, this new FX is the perfect machine for what I ride now; long rides on bike paths...






























csrpenfab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 08:54 AM
  #1452  
sarahbruce
Senior Member
 
sarahbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ponte Vedra Florida
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
This is my new to me garage sale find! I made a couple upgrades and added some accessories to bring it into service. I am waiting on a rack to arrive and will be setting that up shortly. So far I am really digging this bike for road rides and lots of gravel!

sarahbruce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 09:34 AM
  #1453  
finch204
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 264

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Originally Posted by csrpenfab View Post
My favorite new bike arrived on Thursday. 2019 Trek FX6 Sport. Took her home to de-sticker, de-reflector, and remove that annoying spoke disc. I took her out for a nice 30 mile test ride yesterday. Very happy with the bike. So light, quick, and the components are all perfect. I had my LBS add a Bontrager 300 computer and the DuoTrack S unit when they built it up. Having owned some high end road and mountain bikes in the past, this new FX is the perfect machine for what I ride now; long rides on bike paths...






























Congrats on your FX S6! The FX S5/S6 is my dream hybrid bike. Disc brakes, 32c tires and rear iso-speed are things I would really like. Someday in the future, I will trade in my flatbar Madone for one. Hopefully by then, they get the front iso-speed on it too.
finch204 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-18, 01:20 AM
  #1454  
Cheeky DeVille
Member
 
Cheeky DeVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bombay, India
Posts: 43

Bikes: Raleigh Burner MKII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Come Wednesday, I may be a FXII owner... Pros? Cons?

Will be getting back on a bike after many many moons, I will have to ride a while before i get comfortable again. I like the Trek FXII Disc. 15"/S frame.
https://www.trekbikes.com/in/en_IN/b...-disc/p/23350/

I'm 5'2"/55YO and can reach the handlebars but with no bend to my arms... I kinda anticipate neck and tennis elbow issues... The salesman (owner) suggested I try the 90mm for a while and then switch if i need it...

Would it be premature to switch to a 50mm stem at the onset and just be comfortable right off the bat?
Also my standover is about an inch or so... is that okay? Didn't feel too deterred by that though.
Cheeky DeVille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-18, 06:46 PM
  #1455  
Smokeage
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
So after some life hiccups I finally got my bike the day before yesterday! What color should I paint it though?!?

Also, I'm really disappointed in the Gas Tank by Revelate. Not only was it super expensive compared to other bags but it doesn't sit level for more than a couple miles regardless of how tight the straps are, the zippers are impossible to open while riding, AND the main strap is insanely long with the tiniest patch of loop velcro for it to attach to so I'm going to have to cut the strap in half or add more velcro if I want to keep using it. Any suggestions on a good frame bag that will actually sit upright and be easier to open? I'm half tempted to take this back to the LBS and exchange because it's so disappointing to ride with on my amazing new bike.
Smokeage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-18, 11:02 PM
  #1456  
PlanetCC
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Women's 2019

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm cross posting here to hope that I get more input on a tray type hitch rack. I just picked up my FX Sport 4 for women and I would like to get a hitch rack that I can use on both my Chevy Trailblazer, and my Crossover. Both have a 2" hitch. While I am strong, I'm not thrilled with the idea of hooking up and removing a 51 pound hitch on a regular basis. I'm thinking strongly towards the Saris, and now I'm thinking I only need to haul 1 bike, and my friends are on their own LOL. What say you?
  • 25lbs (abt $250) Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2-Bike
  • 51lbs (abt $325) Hollywood Racks HR1450Z Sports Rider SE2 (tilt down and add'l stabilization, cable locks)
  • 27lbs (abt $340) Saris Freedom EX 2 (integrated locks)
  • 35lbs (abt $280) Thule Double Track Pro (does not tilt down with bikes on for access, integrated locks)
  • 47lbs (abt $230) Swagman Chinook S64683 (Integrated locks, tilt away, better clearance)

Last edited by PlanetCC; 11-22-18 at 12:48 AM.
PlanetCC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 10:10 PM
  #1457  
csrpenfab
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Smokeage View Post
So after some life hiccups I finally got my bike the day before yesterday! What color should I paint it though?!?

Also, I'm really disappointed in the Gas Tank by Revelate. Not only was it super expensive compared to other bags but it doesn't sit level for more than a couple miles regardless of how tight the straps are, the zippers are impossible to open while riding, AND the main strap is insanely long with the tiniest patch of loop velcro for it to attach to so I'm going to have to cut the strap in half or add more velcro if I want to keep using it. Any suggestions on a good frame bag that will actually sit upright and be easier to open? I'm half tempted to take this back to the LBS and exchange because it's so disappointing to ride with on my amazing new bike.
i just added the Revelate Mag tank top tube bag and I love it. The Trek FXS6 top tube is flat on top and with the bags rubber cushion it stays put. The mag closure is great for one hand access while riding. See if you can exchange yours for a mag.
csrpenfab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 10:12 PM
  #1458  
PlanetCC
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Women's 2019

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I may be able to post a picture of the new FX Sport 4 Women's. I finally took it out for a spin today (outside the test drive) to get the feel of it. What a pleasure! I have so many questions (currently limited to only 5 posts in 24 hour period LOL). Still figuring out the hitch rack purchase (above) and where to store it in the garage (hang or just park it) and probably a thousand other questions parked out to 5 in one day LOL. I've registered it with the National Bike Registry too.

PlanetCC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-18, 11:50 PM
  #1459  
Cheeky DeVille
Member
 
Cheeky DeVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bombay, India
Posts: 43

Bikes: Raleigh Burner MKII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I got it ...I got it...te re re re re ...




My new Trek FX2 Disc (15") came in last night...I went out this morning with Serfaia of the Local Cycling Club...I amazed myself by actually doing 3 rounds of 4.5kms each right off the block!
The shop put on the fenders and I got those new wing-a-thingy grips. Next week I should get the rear rack and the bag for the handlebar in which I can carry my camera... and some 'snakes' (mispronunced snacks) for the longer rides.
Cheeky DeVille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 06:45 PM
  #1460  
mgvh
Member
 
mgvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38

Bikes: 2005 Trek Navigator 100, 2016 Trek FX 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Originally Posted by PlanetCC View Post
I'm cross posting here to hope that I get more input on a tray type hitch rack. I just picked up my FX Sport 4 for women and I would like to get a hitch rack that I can use on both my Chevy Trailblazer, and my Crossover. Both have a 2" hitch. While I am strong, I'm not thrilled with the idea of hooking up and removing a 51 pound hitch on a regular basis. I'm thinking strongly towards the Saris, and now I'm thinking I only need to haul 1 bike, and my friends are on their own LOL. What say you?
  • 25lbs (abt $250) Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2-Bike
  • 51lbs (abt $325) Hollywood Racks HR1450Z Sports Rider SE2 (tilt down and add'l stabilization, cable locks)
  • 27lbs (abt $340) Saris Freedom EX 2 (integrated locks)
  • 35lbs (abt $280) Thule Double Track Pro (does not tilt down with bikes on for access, integrated locks)
  • 47lbs (abt $230) Swagman Chinook S64683 (Integrated locks, tilt away, better clearance)
I got this Swagman XC Cross Country for 2 bikes and it has been very solid. Weighs 32 lbs and only $100 through Amazon. No issues with wobbling at all. It doesn't tilt down, and you would have to pay more to get cable locks, but I've been very satisfied.
mgvh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 06:36 AM
  #1461  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 1,805

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
I have the same Swagman hitch rack and I think it's a good value. It's definitely not as sturdy as a $400 rack from Yakima or Thule, but...it's a $100 rack. I would recommend a more expensive rack if you intend to buy a rack and more or less leave it installed all the time and if you carry bikes often. The Swagman works for occasional use. The Swagman's largest downfall is the top tube hooks to retain the bikes. There are two issues with this. First, you risk paint damage/wear. I keep small microfiber towels in my cycling kit just for this purpose. The other issue is bikes that have sloping top tubes. A hook over the top tube will keep the bike secure in one direction, but not as secure in the other direction. For this, a bungee cord or velcro strap around the rear wheel, to keep it seated firmly in its rack tray, helps a lot.

I don't transport bikes very often on a hitch (most of our riding is local), and the Swagman is sturdy enough for the small amount of transporting that we do (and I'd buy it again for my needs). If I needed to hitch my bikes up whenever I wanted to ride them, then I'd probably buy a different rack, and probably one with wheel hooks instead of the top tube hook.
hokiefyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 09:42 AM
  #1462  
csrpenfab
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Finally got the needed adapters to add the Bontrager Race Lite Ergo bar ends on the ISO Zone bars on my Trek FSX6. These are just wanted I needed to get some extra hand positions on rides. Very happy with the end result. I didn't want bulky bar ends, and these still allow the use of the ISO Zone gel pad grips/bars.

csrpenfab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 02:46 PM
  #1463  
mavericg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I very seen Trek FX 2 and 3 here in NZ but haven't tested it due to no size availability at the time. I've only tested the Giant Roam Disc 2. I'm wondering how does this compares with it? Anyone who had that dilemma before who were stuck between these 2 models but opted to get the Trek instead?
mavericg is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service