Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 09-06-17, 05:58 PM
  #451  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vegemite Island
Posts: 4,130

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
So, the new carbon Sirrus ('18) is up on the Cdn and U.S. websites.

It's as if Specialized listened to me and ... there we are

Kinked top tube gone? Yep. Kinked chainstays gone? Yep. Hideous 'integrated' stem thing gone -- on the top two models? Yep. Decent sealed-bearing wheelset? Yep. F/R thru-axles? Yep. Flat-mount brakes? Yep. Threaded b/b? Yep. Best of all, Future Shock headset is present/correct on the top two models.

Bike is now head-to-head with the lovely new Trek FXS 6/5 in looks, geometry, functionality. Both are what I would call true 'flat bar road bikes.' I do not want a press-fit b/b, however, and given that my LBS is a Specialized dealer and that between the rear Isospeed or front Future Shock my preference is for the latter ... order will soon be going in for this (size M):

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/me...-carbon/129092

Tires and saddle will be changed out at point-of-sale -- and that's about it that I can see. Slightly heavy crankset will be replaced after one season.

You will be getting a great bike, that Specialized really looks like a winner.


What do you think you will change your crankset to?
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 07:27 PM
  #452  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I put a deposit on a 2017 Pro Carbon and just noticed the 2018 Pro Carbon has the Future Shock. I'm intrigued to say the least.

I'm not a fan of the crankset on the newer version though, but it is $200 cheaper too.

I'm hoping to get to see them side by side very soon.
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 07:33 PM
  #453  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
You will be getting a great bike, that Specialized really looks like a winner.


What do you think you will change your crankset to?
Hey Colonel!

Probably simply the Praxis Zayante 48/32, or an even lighter 48/32 if something becomes available aftermarket. I've no real need for a 50 big ring -- my 'homemade' 48/34 has worked well for me.

For that matter, I'm sure the stock Praxis will be fine, but this bike is very likely to be my last major bike purchase so I'll slowly change it round to my preferences and give it (and me) treats over time. Crankset first, followed no doubt by wheelset. I'm 66 now; my '10 Sirrus has served me extremely well over the past seven years, and I expect this new one to see me out, more or less

Last edited by badger1; 09-06-17 at 08:24 PM.
badger1 is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 07:41 PM
  #454  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
I put a deposit on a 2017 Pro Carbon and just noticed the 2018 Pro Carbon has the Future Shock. I'm intrigued to say the least.

I'm not a fan of the crankset on the newer version though, but it is $200 cheaper too.

I'm hoping to get to see them side by side very soon.
FWIW, I have had a chance to ride the Future Shock thing (on a Roubaix). That FS is no gimmick; it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I've detailed my other reasons for liking the '18s above, but to my mind the FS seals the deal for those like me looking for a little bit of real vertical compliance on a 'road' bike. Notice too, fwiw, that the frames are really quite compact vertically. So for me, for example, a M in this new frame with a seat tube of only 456mm (iirc) means that I'll have a lot of 27.2 seatpost showing, which means in turn lots of flex -- more compliance. Win win.
badger1 is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 08:44 PM
  #455  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vegemite Island
Posts: 4,130

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Hey Colonel!

Probably simply the Praxis Zayante 48/32, or an even lighter 48/32 if something becomes available aftermarket. I've no real need for a 50 big ring -- my 'homemade' 48/34 has worked well for me.

For that matter, I'm sure the stock Praxis will be fine, but this bike is very likely to be my last major bike purchase so I'll slowly change it round to my preferences and give it (and me) treats over time. Crankset first, followed no doubt by wheelset. I'm 66 now; my '10 Sirrus has served me extremely well over the past seven years, and I expect this new one to see me out, more or less

I've been thinking about it a bit more and considering this model comes with the Future Shock and Thru-Axles, not to mention the frame changes you wanted to see, this really represents a hell of an improvement from last year's corresponding model, the kind of change one would rarely see in just one year.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 09:50 PM
  #456  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I've been thinking about it a bit more and considering this model comes with the Future Shock and Thru-Axles, not to mention the frame changes you wanted to see, this really represents a hell of an improvement from last year's corresponding model, the kind of change one would rarely see in just one year.
Agree, though of course it is all a matter of perspective/personal preferences. Aesthetically this new frameset appeals to me in a way that the 15-17 ones never did. I'm very partial to straight lines on diamond-frame bikes, and also to very 'compact' (sloping t/t) geometry. This new one ticks those aesthetic boxes, as well as the functional ones. In a sense, it's very 'plain', if you see what I mean, and I like that.

The more functional changes had to be made, I think. The 'road' standard for disc is pretty much settled: thru-axles, flat-mount calipers, and so on. The Sirrus badly needed updating in those respects, and incorporating the Future Shock was really an obvious move on a bike of this kind.

Clearly the changes are spot-on, assuming that a cyclist like me is representative of at least a good chunk of the target market. Had they not happened, I would in fact be buying an FXS 6 this winter (press fit b/b and all!), so Specialized has retained at least one customer.
badger1 is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 05:54 AM
  #457  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Are the 2018 out in LBS' already?
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 06:08 AM
  #458  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
Are the 2018 out in LBS' already?
I doubt it, but one never knows! The U.S. is usually ahead of us, but I'll be talking to my LBS later this week and report further if they have any info about availability up here.
badger1 is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 12:52 PM
  #459  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I stopped by the LBS today and rode the new Roubaix expert with the Future Shock and compared it to the 2017 Sirrus Pro Carbon.

I spent a little time on both and specifically targeted a few rougher sections of pavement. I felt the Future Shock made quite a bit of difference, and enough to order the 2018 Sirrus Pro without hesitation.
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 01:36 PM
  #460  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
I stopped by the LBS today and rode the new Roubaix expert with the Future Shock and compared it to the 2017 Sirrus Pro Carbon.

I spent a little time on both and specifically targeted a few rougher sections of pavement. I felt the Future Shock made quite a bit of difference, and enough to order the 2018 Sirrus Pro without hesitation.
That's certainly consistent with my experience. The FS is quite noticeable ... in a very good way.
badger1 is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 09:15 PM
  #461  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have been thinking I may wind up going with the Roubaix now, and passing on the yet as unridden new Sirrus.

Impatience is not a virtue. I also plan on spending quite a bit of time in the saddle and not sure the Sirrus is the end all bike for that.

Riding the Roubaix did not help me at all.
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 09:24 PM
  #462  
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
I have been thinking I may wind up going with the Roubaix now, and passing on the yet as unridden new Sirrus.

Impatience is not a virtue. I also plan on spending quite a bit of time in the saddle and not sure the Sirrus is the end all bike for that.

Riding the Roubaix did not help me at all.
I generally do 6000-8000 miles a year on my Sirrus and BMC flat bar bikes.
raqball is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 09:37 PM
  #463  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
I have been thinking I may wind up going with the Roubaix now, and passing on the yet as unridden new Sirrus.

Impatience is not a virtue. I also plan on spending quite a bit of time in the saddle and not sure the Sirrus is the end all bike for that.

Riding the Roubaix did not help me at all.
You should choose your preferred style of bar -- flat or drop -- and go with that preference. Materially, that's the only real difference between an '18 Roubaix and and '18 Sirrus.

You can ride as much or as little as you like on either, and do rides as long or as short as you are accustomed to equally efficiently on either.
badger1 is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 09:41 PM
  #464  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,145
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
I generally do 6000-8000 miles a year on my Sirrus and BMC flat bar bikes.
Yep
I'm nowhere near that, but I've no trouble with my normal 6-7000kms/year. Since 2002; all on 'flat bars'. Funny thing is that my arms haven't yet fallen off, nor have I suffered any other long-term disability as a result of 'doing it wrong' all those years and miles.
Odd, isn't it?
badger1 is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 09:46 PM
  #465  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The point of the Sirrus to me is to mix it up a bit. My Madone has some years and miles on it, and the Sirrus was the choice to be the comfortable upright bike to take the edge off the drops.

I just really think the Roubaix Expert felt pretty smooth compared to the 2017 Sirrus Pro.
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 09:52 PM
  #466  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vegemite Island
Posts: 4,130

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
The point of the Sirrus to me is to mix it up a bit. My Madone has some years and miles on it, and the Sirrus was the choice to be the comfortable upright bike to take the edge off the drops.

I just really think the Roubaix Expert felt pretty smooth compared to the 2017 Sirrus Pro.

Has your LBS not been able to give you a date for when they will have the 2018 Sirrus models with Future Shock in for you to test out?
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 09:55 PM
  #467  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I like the 2018 changes but prefer something with 1x. Does Specialized typically release info on the 2018s in stages, flushing out additional variants over time? Or did the Carbon X1 bite the dust in 2018?

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 10:09 PM
  #468  
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
You should choose your preferred style of bar -- flat or drop -- and go with that preference. Materially, that's the only real difference between an '18 Roubaix and and '18 Sirrus.

You can ride as much or as little as you like on either, and do rides as long or as short as you are accustomed to equally efficiently on either.
Originally Posted by badger1
Yep
I'm nowhere near that, but I've no trouble with my normal 6-7000kms/year. Since 2002; all on 'flat bars'. Funny thing is that my arms haven't yet fallen off, nor have I suffered any other long-term disability as a result of 'doing it wrong' all those years and miles.
Odd, isn't it?
Yeah, mine haven't fallen off either, contrary to popular drop bar belief..

I generally do 30-40 miles a day 5 days a week then one day I'll do a 50-60 miler. Once a year I do a century so I never have issue piling up a ton of miles and all on a flat bar! Shudder the thought!

raqball is offline  
Old 09-10-17, 08:26 AM
  #469  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I went back and decided to take the Roubaix and use a +40dg stem same 90mm as stock.
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-10-17, 08:49 PM
  #470  
Junior Member
 
axxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Columbia, Maryland
Posts: 139

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My LBS lied in June, they said they would not be changing....oh well I still love my bike.
axxman is offline  
Old 09-11-17, 10:02 PM
  #471  
Occam's Rotor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What handgrips are on her bike?


Ergon grips for the win.
I finally took your advice and got her a pair. As an added benefit, they are carbon-bar compatible. These are an instant improvement. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Cyclist0108 is offline  
Old 09-11-17, 11:11 PM
  #472  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vegemite Island
Posts: 4,130

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I finally took your advice and got her a pair. As an added benefit, they are carbon-bar compatible. These are an instant improvement. Thanks again for the suggestion.

You are welcome.


But consider playing around with the angle that the extended part of the Ergon handgrips is at.


Recently I have angled them pointing up a bit and it has finally removed all numbness that I was feeling, whereas when I had the extended part basically level, even though it was a big improvement over my bike's stock grips for warding off numbness, I still had a little bit of numbness to contend with.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 09-12-17, 09:06 PM
  #473  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My LBS let me know the 2018's are in. I'll have to at least give it a whirl.
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-12-17, 09:07 PM
  #474  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 Sirrus (lowest option) a Downgrade or not?

I've recently been looking at the lowest end models of the Specialized Sirrus, and when I compare the specifications from the 2017 model to the 2018 model, it seems like a downgrade.

The 2017 model has 8 speeds and uses the Shimano Altus for the rear and front derailers, while the 2018 model has 7 speeds and uses the Shimano Tourney. I'm new to bikes and such, so I wouldn't know if there is a particularly significant impact on the feel of the bike. However, I do not know what changed so it may be worth the "downgrade" nevertheless.

Is there any reason why they would do this? I'm going to have to decide between these two and maybe the Trek FX2 soon so thank you if you can help.
papapa is offline  
Old 09-13-17, 05:56 AM
  #475  
Noob Rider
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 128

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by papapa
Is there any reason why they would do this? I'm going to have to decide between these two and maybe the Trek FX2 soon so thank you if you can help.
Yes, cost and margin.

Try and pick up a 2017 for a discount since the 2018's are available. The 2017 is apparently better and should be less expensive.
djmcnz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.