Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 03-09-20, 08:05 AM
  #976  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3070 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by sambo1
I can't post URL's but checkout the Cannondale Quick 1 on Evans. It's on sale and offers way better value than Sirrus I think. I own both. The aluminum frame on Quick 1 is almost the same weight as Sirrus carbon. Shimano 105 as well.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Carbon frame to aluminum frame. Loose ball bearing hubs on the Cannondale vs. cartridge bearing hub on the Sirrus.
prj71 is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 01:28 PM
  #977  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
You're comparing apples to oranges. Carbon frame to aluminum frame. Loose ball bearing hubs on the Cannondale vs. cartridge bearing hub on the Sirrus.
Loose bearings on Sirrus x 3.0 and 4.0 . Aluminum frames too. Broke my carbon Sirrus frame last year after a collision. I would recommend better components and light aluminum on the Quick 1.
sambo1 is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 03:00 PM
  #978  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pynchonite
Anyone tried going tubeless on the stock rims on the 2019 Elite? Reading the specs, I see that the rims are 21mm inner width, which screams "tubeless" to me. Thanks!
I'd like to know this as well! I've got a 2019 Sirrus Sport
Laseranimal is offline  
Old 03-14-20, 02:09 PM
  #979  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 40

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Winter Upgrades!

After researching wheels/tires most of the winter I "settled" on a set of GRX wheels, and Conti Terra Speeds. The GRX wheelset seems like a really good value and decent weight savings from the stock setup. I couldn't justify 2x more $$ to save a few hundred grams from where the GRX is positioned. The Terra Speeds initially were measuring at 38, but after a few weeks now, both are just a touch under 40mm at 40psi. Everything setup tubeless super easy, I ended up using 2oz of Orange Seal per wheel. I haven't logged too many miles yet due to work and weather, but what I have has been nice. The tires roll fast and are quite comfortable.

GravelGurty is offline  
Likes For GravelGurty:
Old 03-14-20, 04:57 PM
  #980  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
I'm looking at the Roval 24s (I think that's the number). Pretty decent: under 1600 or so grams/set, aluminum rims (no interest in carbon), DT Swiss internals. Would be nice to get shot of the boat anchor stock wheels -- among other things, I don't like the faux 'aero' deep section rims. A nice sensible box-section rim will do me just fine.
badger1 is online now  
Old 03-15-20, 12:08 AM
  #981  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been considering getting the Diverge but I really prefer flat bars and would hate buying that bike and immediately dropping more cash to convert the bars. I do like that the Diverge has a higher gearing though and more speed always appeals to me lol. Is that the main difference between the Sirrus and diverge aside from the handlebars?
Dallas405 is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 01:26 AM
  #982  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas405
I’ve been considering getting the Diverge but I really prefer flat bars and would hate buying that bike and immediately dropping more cash to convert the bars. I do like that the Diverge has a higher gearing though and more speed always appeals to me lol. Is that the main difference between the Sirrus and diverge aside from the handlebars?
I'm not an expert for all these bike types/models, but I also thought the Diverge was more of a wide-tire Roubaix endurance road bike rather than a hybrid bike with drop handlebars. I would think it would be a lot cheaper/easier to change the gearing on a Sirrus than convert a Diverge to flat bars.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Likes For markjenn:
Old 03-15-20, 08:16 AM
  #983  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Dallas405
Essentially, Specialized has rationalized the Sirrus line into two series. The 'regular' ones (e.g. Sirrus 6.0) align more with the Roubaix (endurance/road), the X ones (e.g. Sirrus X 5.0) align more with the Diverge (road/'gravel'). The former have more 'road-like' 2x gearing; the latter have 1x gearing and 'gravel' tires.

Tires and gearing are easy to change, so other than being sure you want a 1x drivetrain there's not much in it.

However, my advice would be to be sure you want either drop or flat bars before choosing. The current Sirrus geometry is optimized for flat bars -- rightly so -- so they won't convert 'properly' to drops, in my opinion, and that's leaving aside the expense. The converse is also true: you could convert a Roubaix/Diverge to flats, but why bother when optimized versions are available?

That's my take, fwiw.
badger1 is online now  
Old 03-15-20, 06:13 PM
  #984  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! You were right about it being easier to upgrade the Sirrus components versus buying the more expensive diverge and then changing everything on that. One thing I really like about the diverge is the clearance and room it has for a wide variety of tire sizes and the ability to get some big tires on there. How much more in the options for bigger tires does the diverge have to the Sirrus. Aside from that in all of the components is the frame geometry that much different?
Dallas405 is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 07:34 PM
  #985  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas405
Thanks for the replies! You were right about it being easier to upgrade the Sirrus components versus buying the more expensive diverge and then changing everything on that. One thing I really like about the diverge is the clearance and room it has for a wide variety of tire sizes and the ability to get some big tires on there. How much more in the options for bigger tires does the diverge have to the Sirrus. Aside from that in all of the components is the frame geometry that much different?
Not sure about the Diverge but my LBS said they've run 38's on a Sirrus with no problems
Laseranimal is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 11:56 PM
  #986  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Laseranimal
Not sure about the Diverge but my LBS said they've run 38's on a Sirrus with no problems
I think it depends on the Sirrus model but my X comes stock with 38s and depending on the tire and how muddy the terrain is, I think you could probably run 42s.

- Mark
markjenn is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 06:25 AM
  #987  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,223

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 498 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GravelGurty
After researching wheels/tires most of the winter I "settled" on a set of GRX wheels, and Conti Terra Speeds. The GRX wheelset seems like a really good value and decent weight savings from the stock setup. I couldn't justify 2x more $$ to save a few hundred grams from where the GRX is positioned. The Terra Speeds initially were measuring at 38, but after a few weeks now, both are just a touch under 40mm at 40psi. Everything setup tubeless super easy, I ended up using 2oz of Orange Seal per wheel. I haven't logged too many miles yet due to work and weather, but what I have has been nice. The tires roll fast and are quite comfortable.
That looks nice. What headset spacers are those? Do you have any weights you can share?
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 04:24 PM
  #988  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
That looks nice. What headset spacers are those? Do you have any weights you can share?
Headset spacers? Are you looking at the FS boot, DD? It does look a little odd at first. GravelGurty has the stock '19 one; here's what the FS 2.0 set-up looks like (long story; fortunate 'upgrade' on my bike!):


badger1 is online now  
Old 03-19-20, 07:06 PM
  #989  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 40

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have a scale to measure all my upgrades.
Badger is right, my hooptie has the first gen FS nothing new there all stock.
GravelGurty is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 08:18 PM
  #990  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGurty
Unfortunately, I do not have a scale to measure all my upgrades.
Badger is right, my hooptie has the first gen FS nothing new there all stock.
Hey GG ... those GRX wheels look very nice ... like so far?? Another question: are those Ice Tech rotors, and if so are you still using the stock brakes? Play nicely together?
badger1 is online now  
Old 03-20-20, 11:19 AM
  #991  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 40

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I do like them so far, but have yet to get more than a few quick rides on the wheelset. I really couldn't justify the Roval's at $800, even looked into a custom wheel build. I got a screaming deal on the GRXs NIB on ebay.
Yes Saint Icetech's, I summarized all the brake upgrade in post 902.
GravelGurty is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 12:46 PM
  #992  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bikepacking recommendations

I am considering investing in some cargo racks and bags for my Sirrus. Does anybody have experience with their own bikes? What systems work best for you? I am planning a one week trip on the GAP/C&O Canal trail from DC to Pittsburgh.
hdkct is offline  
Old 04-08-20, 09:57 AM
  #993  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Thought I’d throw a photo of my 2019 Sirrus Sport up. As a runner I needed to add more training volume without increasing the pounding on my body. Plus running in the Florida heat and humidity sucks.

Upgrades from stock are:

Ergon GP3 grips
Shimano SPD SL Pedals
Sora Crankset
WTB Silverado Saddle
Continental GP 4 Season Tires 28mm

Changing saddle and tires made a huge difference. I liked the bike before but I love it now. May decide to upgrade the wheels eventually if I can find something that isn’t too expensive.

Laseranimal is offline  
Likes For Laseranimal:
Old 04-12-20, 06:40 AM
  #994  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2020 Sirrus Expert Carbon VS 2019 Sirrus Elite Carbon

What are the differences? I’m stepping out of entry level bikes and moving into my first carbon. I know some stuff but not all hoping you all can provide some help. Does the Elite Carbon include the “Future shock”?
Farrah430 is offline  
Old 04-12-20, 08:40 AM
  #995  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Farrah430
What are the differences? I’m stepping out of entry level bikes and moving into my first carbon. I know some stuff but not all hoping you all can provide some help. Does the Elite Carbon include the “Future shock”?
It does not, nor does its successor the Sirrus 4.0 (carbon). Have to go up to the Sirrus Expert (now the Sirrus 6.0) to get FS on the bike with a 2x drivetrain. The Sirrus X (Comp; now called 5.0) does have FS, but it is a 1x drivetrain.
badger1 is online now  
Old 04-12-20, 12:12 PM
  #996  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi -hope this is right place to ask.. sorry newbie here... i have have a 2012 or 2013 basic specialized sirrus hybrid. The bottom bracket is worn and knocking, its all standard bits as i bought the bike from new. Does anyone know what dimension bottom bracket is required before i take it apart? or where i can look to find out? any help appreciated. thank you.
mattb85 is offline  
Old 04-12-20, 11:10 PM
  #997  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mattb85
Hi -hope this is right place to ask.. sorry newbie here... i have have a 2012 or 2013 basic specialized sirrus hybrid. The bottom bracket is worn and knocking, its all standard bits as i bought the bike from new. Does anyone know what dimension bottom bracket is required before i take it apart? or where i can look to find out? any help appreciated. thank you.
2012 Sirrus Sport seems to be 68mm square taper: Specialized Sirrus Sport (2012) Specs

And here is how to measure it yourself:
slowpacer is offline  
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 04-13-20, 06:15 AM
  #998  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,223

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by mattb85
Hi -hope this is right place to ask.. sorry newbie here... i have have a 2012 or 2013 basic specialized sirrus hybrid. The bottom bracket is worn and knocking, its all standard bits as i bought the bike from new. Does anyone know what dimension bottom bracket is required before i take it apart? or where i can look to find out? any help appreciated. thank you.
Email S and ask them if you do not have crank arm puller. Generally, low profile cranks are 113mm, and non-low profile are 122mm

For square taper BBs, the one to get now is the BBUN55 - the spindle is hollow for lower weight.

DorkDisk is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 09:05 AM
  #999  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am i crazy to get the X 5.0 and make the tires smaller?? was going to swap out for the tires that are on the 6
slash32487 is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 12:04 PM
  #1000  
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by slash32487
Am i crazy to get the X 5.0 and make the tires smaller?? was going to swap out for the tires that are on the 6
No, why would that be?

I have the Sirrus X Comp carbon (same bike, 2019), and swapped out the tires for Spec. Roubaix Pro 32 road tires ... simply my preference. Made the bike into exactly what I was looking for.

The only thing with the X carbon: be sure you want a 1x drivetrain -- it's a dedicated 1x version of the frameset.
badger1 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.