Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Reply

Old 08-24-17, 01:52 AM
  #426  
coominya
Senior Member
 
coominya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Aust
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
sounds pretty good.
coominya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 02:27 AM
  #427  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,794

Bikes: 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Originally Posted by coominya View Post
sounds pretty good.
He's talking about American dollars.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 03:29 PM
  #428  
coominya
Senior Member
 
coominya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Aust
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
He's talking about American dollars.
Yes, it's still good for a SLR-1, but not as good (adjusted) as the price I got mine for down here under similar circumstances. How's the new seat post holding up, no more issues?
coominya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 08:17 PM
  #429  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jase33 View Post
I have a 42T chain ring with an 11-42 cassette no my DS4 and it's perfect for me. The bike came with a 2x10 setup but I noticed I never shifted from the large chain ring so I got rid of the second ring.
I'm contemplating to convert to 11-speed (maybe 2x11 first). Did you have to replace the freehub, or is the freehub already an 11-speed type (and had the 1.8mm spacer to use the smaller 10-speed cassette). I couldn't find out what the hub (Giant Sport Tracker Disc, 32h) is rated for assuming the freehub rated for, but they also could deliver them with different freehubs.

And could you keep the chainrings with the thinner 11-speed chain? I wouldn't want to replace the chainring.

and could you use the X7 derailleur for 11-speed? Officially I think SRAM says no, but they have same 1:1 actuation ration. I realize i need new shifter.

(my real motivation is to recycle the 10-speed derailleur and shifter on ana currently 9-speed bike)
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 10:44 AM
  #430  
cirian75
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
collected
cirian75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 11:23 PM
  #431  
gsa103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,166

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
I'm contemplating to convert to 11-speed (maybe 2x11 first). Did you have to replace the freehub, or is the freehub already an 11-speed type (and had the 1.8mm spacer to use the smaller 10-speed cassette). I couldn't find out what the hub (Giant Sport Tracker Disc, 32h) is rated for assuming the freehub rated for, but they also could deliver them with different freehubs.

And could you keep the chainrings with the thinner 11-speed chain? I wouldn't want to replace the chainring.

and could you use the X7 derailleur for 11-speed? Officially I think SRAM says no, but they have same 1:1 actuation ration. I realize i need new shifter.

(my real motivation is to recycle the 10-speed derailleur and shifter on ana currently 9-speed bike)
Not sure about the hubs.
Definitely need: new shifter, cassette, and rear derailleur. If you want 2x11.
Existing chainrings will work.

Art's Cyclery Blog Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility

SRAM 10-speed rear derailleurs use a different ratio than anything else.
gsa103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 11:29 PM
  #432  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
Not sure about the hubs.
Definitely need: new shifter, cassette, and rear derailleur. If you want 2x11.
Existing chainrings will work.

Art's Cyclery Blog Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility

SRAM 10-speed rear derailleurs use a different ratio than anything else.
Ok, good to know chainrings will work. then just still need to know if the 11-speed can be installed on the freehub, or if I need to replace or modify?

If I do this, i will do so to re-use the 10-speed derailleur and shifter on a different bike. and also the chain and cassette if they still are good. so I'm not planning to re-use the 10-speed derailleur with new 11-speed shifter.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-17, 09:06 PM
  #433  
lestat
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Originally Posted by anaerobic1 View Post
Hi folks

New member with a 2016 toughroad slr2. Since all my riding is on pavement I found a great tire...a 29" Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. Great ride, handling and tire life...expensive but well worth it.

Since I cannot post a URL, yet....you will need to google it for specs, etc.

I use these tyres as well for my commuting, I both have the 47c and and 30c. I mostly use the 47c. They have really good grip on dry road. However I'm less confident with it on wet so I tend to always run it at low PSI, front (~45PSI) and back (~55PSI). It runs quite decently on a 1km stretch of loose gravel as well.
lestat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 03:32 AM
  #434  
Machoman121
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend which full fenders work with the toughroads? How's the setup and what do i have to watch out for in the installation and usage?

Pictures would be fantastic too.

My research seems to point that there's some customization required for the fenders to be able to fit/install around the disc brakes equipment.

Update - i've got a reply from Chainreaction that the SKS Chromos don't fit disc brakes bikes albeit some have custom it to fit.

Last edited by Machoman121; 09-07-17 at 06:09 AM.
Machoman121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 05:26 PM
  #435  
sreuter13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 65

Bikes: 1990 Fuji Absolute, 2001 GT Aggressor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Just picked up one of these off CL and have fallen head over heals in love. Moved this bike into the daily line-up after growing tired of missing out on the rough roads on my vintage road bike.

Moving from a 32 to 50 c tire is way more to push down the road, but the bike urges you to keep pedaling faster. Love the rigid fork and will soon be christening it with her first century.
sreuter13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 12:22 AM
  #436  
Machoman121
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
you gonna ride a century with the 50mm - is it on gravel?
Machoman121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 07:43 AM
  #437  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,000

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Gosh, that Toughroad is a gorgeous bike....... Hmmmmmmmm!
Wanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 01:31 PM
  #438  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,919
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Ok, good to know chainrings will work. then just still need to know if the 11-speed can be installed on the freehub, or if I need to replace or modify?

If I do this, i will do so to re-use the 10-speed derailleur and shifter on a different bike. and also the chain and cassette if they still are good. so I'm not planning to re-use the 10-speed derailleur with new 11-speed shifter.
If you have Shimano/compatible stuff -- mtb components and hub, and not road -- and you currently have a 10-cog mtb cassette, then yes, a Shimano 11-cog mtb cassette will go straight on. Shimano road is different, as is SRAM.
badger1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 01:52 PM
  #439  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
If you have Shimano/compatible stuff -- mtb components and hub, and not road -- and you currently have a 10-cog mtb cassette, then yes, a Shimano 11-cog mtb cassette will go straight on. Shimano road is different, as is SRAM.
thanks, this is good to know. i meanwhile bought a 1x11 fatbike and really got used to not front-shift. It even happens now that when riding the Toughroad (2x10) I forget that I have a m FD. When i go in the small chainring (rarely) i sometimes keep riding and spin ut and think "WTF, why am I spinning out already? " only to find i forgot to shift back to the large chainring.

I probably won't upgrade for a while, though. I'm still a bit vary about the smaller range (and/or larger steps) of 1x11. it is perfect for a fatbike, but not for a hybrid. Ideally it should be 1x12 for a hybrid, but that is way out of my financial reach. So I will keep suffering the 2x10 for a while... I know, first World problems.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 09:08 PM
  #440  
ksywa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hills of WV
Posts: 75

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2015 Troll, 2016 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
thanks, this is good to know. i meanwhile bought a 1x11 fatbike and really got used to not front-shift. It even happens now that when riding the Toughroad (2x10) I forget that I have a m FD. When i go in the small chainring (rarely) i sometimes keep riding and spin ut and think "WTF, why am I spinning out already? " only to find i forgot to shift back to the large chainring.

I probably won't upgrade for a while, though. I'm still a bit vary about the smaller range (and/or larger steps) of 1x11. it is perfect for a fatbike, but not for a hybrid. Ideally it should be 1x12 for a hybrid, but that is way out of my financial reach. So I will keep suffering the 2x10 for a while... I know, first World problems.
You can select a wide range cassette - and then match front chainring. Here using 11-42 rear, 33 front ( soon to be either 34, 36 or 38 narrow-wide ); rear mech is XT GS (medium). With some effort and long mech ( SGS), you can go for 46-11. That probably would help you a bit :-).
Frame is Karate Monkey.

/ksywa
ksywa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 10:26 PM
  #441  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ksywa View Post
You can select a wide range cassette - and then match front chainring. Here using 11-42 rear, 33 front ( soon to be either 34, 36 or 38 narrow-wide ); rear mech is XT GS (medium). With some effort and long mech ( SGS), you can go for 46-11. That probably would help you a bit :-).
Frame is Karate Monkey.

/ksywa
With a 36T chainring my lowest gear would be about the same with a 11-46 cassette. But the fastest would cap put at 45 km/h compared to 52 km/h at cadence of 100. Not sure it really would matter to me since I barely go over 35 km/h. Steps would be a bit larger, but I wouldn't have the (almost) redundant gears. So yes still would be a compromise. I wish I could just try it out and just "feel" how it rides. i guess if i built one from scratch i'd go for 1x11...

Bicycle Gear Calculator
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 10:27 AM
  #442  
Carl J
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2

So, I've had mine July as a commuter bike, and absolutely love it. And the thing is pretty fast too (unless you get a headwind). So far, I've put on just over 600Kms (373 miles).

Only changes I've made, were to swap the stock tires for Specialized Sawtooth (will be putting the stocks back on for the winter), and changed the saddle (which isn't _that_ bad) for a Brooks B17.

I'm considering going with a 1x11, but that will have to wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GTR2-1.jpg (614.1 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg
GTR2-2.jpg (479.6 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg
GTR2-3.jpg (900.4 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg
GTR2-7.jpg (762.6 KB, 358 views)
Carl J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:31 PM
  #443  
Machoman121
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
What do you guys think about the drop bar version of the toughroad - it's a lot more expensive compared to the flat bar version.

If had to do it all over again - would u choose the drop bar or the flat bar version?
Attached Images

Last edited by Machoman121; 12-31-17 at 09:35 PM.
Machoman121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 02:46 AM
  #444  
Machoman121
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
What is the lightest anyone has gotten their toughroad to be?
Machoman121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 10:07 PM
  #445  
Carl J
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Nice bike, but doubt it. I already have a gravel/endurance bike (Felt V85), bought this ToughRoad to have something different
Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
What do you guys think about the drop bar version of the toughroad - it's a lot more expensive compared to the flat bar version.

If had to do it all over again - would u choose the drop bar or the flat bar version?
Carl J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 02:59 PM
  #446  
Henny
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 15

Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
What do you guys think about the drop bar version of the toughroad - it's a lot more expensive compared to the flat bar version.

If had to do it all over again - would u choose the drop bar or the flat bar version?
Hey folks, first post on this forum.

I have a 2016 SLR that as of this morning I put a little over 6,300 miles on it. I'd definitely go with the flat bar. Due to the repercussions of dealing with Lyme disease, a career that was hard on my body and in general, not being as young as I once was, I found the more stretched out, head down position of the road bikes just don't work for my neck anymore. I actually raised the handle bars up on my bike with an extension and got a shorter handlebar stem. Yeah, I'm not fast, but the extra wind resistance helps with the workout - I guess?

My Toughroad has been great! I'm glad my LBS steered me toward it. Other than regular maintenance, a bunch of tubes / patches, brake pads, a rear tire, pedals (bering when in one of them) and 2 chains (I'm on my third, currently a SRAM PC1091R) it has been a dream! I also added a B17 seat and Ergon Cork grips not long after getting it.

It's my first bike with hydraulic brakes - love them! The basic maintenance on this bike is so simple too! The only thing that I would change is maybe a taller high gear. However, I'm happy with it the way it is now. The only thing I wish I could do it is is wash it, but with the past several weeks being below freezing, I'm just keeping the drive train as clean as I can!

Sure, there's some days I think about a skinny tired bike with a taller high gear, but so far, I've been pretty happy with my SLR1!
Henny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 06:55 AM
  #447  
ber3000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend a good front and rear fender that can be purchased in EU? Thanks
ber3000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 06:36 PM
  #448  
Carl J
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Henny View Post
I also added a B17 seat ...
I've also added a B17 (I have the C17 on my two other bikes), and it's a great addition. And, bought it in blue which matches the bike nicely.
Carl J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 06:37 PM
  #449  
Carl J
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ber3000 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good front and rear fender that can be purchased in EU? Thanks
Probably won't need fenders. Mine doesn't. I just have a rack on the back, and have ridden through snow and heavy slush with little getting on me
Carl J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 09:34 AM
  #450  
ccccc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What's the size of the eyelets for pannier racks?
M5?
ccccc is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service