Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Old 01-17-18, 03:04 PM
  #451  
ber3000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
Probably won't need fenders. Mine doesn't. I just have a rack on the back, and have ridden through snow and heavy slush with little getting on me
Hi, thanks. I don't have a rack and probably won't get one as I don't need it, but it's hard to find a fender so may have no choice. As it is, I am getting destroyed I purchased a fender set but the front part wouldn't fit so had to return both parts. I have no real idea what I'm doing when ordering.
ber3000 is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 11:59 PM
  #452  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
did anyone install xD drivers to the Giant hubs of the toughroad?

Google gave me some info, but the possible drivers for those hubs seemed discontinued (so I'm not sure if actually real). I'd say if one of you converted to 1x, you probably considered that.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 01-29-18, 02:48 PM
  #453  
ccccc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just moved some of the spacers on top of the steering tube so I'm a bit more aero.
Also learned afterwards that if you do that, you have to tighten the headset. Was scared for a moment.
I should be a bit quicker and more comfortable tomorrow morning.
ccccc is offline  
Old 01-30-18, 06:12 PM
  #454  
bert60
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3

Bikes: toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I have a 2018 toughroad SLR2 and on the inside of the right hand fork leg near the bottom there is a rectangular rubber grommet any one know what the hole in the fork is for?
bert60 is offline  
Old 01-30-18, 08:39 PM
  #455  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Did anyone install an xD driver (for 10T cassettes) on the original giant hub?
I saw some old dead links and discontinued product indicating those hubs have an xD driver option (or at least had).

I'm still toying with the idea of going 1x, and may want to 1x12 at some future point (or just use smaller and lighter cassette and chainring with the 10T instead of 11T)
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 02-10-18, 08:48 PM
  #456  
Laurido92
Senior Member
 
Laurido92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 200

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL 2.3 2016 Giant Thoughroad SLR 1 2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone replaced the crankset or chainrings not heir SLR or SLR 2? I'm finding that the 42t chainring is not working out well for me. I feel like I'm spinning out so I'm debating a few options:

1. replace bottom bracket (already have a BB36) for either 50/34 or 52/36 (already have) crankset
2. replace the 42t chainring with either a 48t or a 50t chainring
3. replace cassette with 11-28 cassette

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Laurido92 is offline  
Old 02-11-18, 10:33 AM
  #457  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Laurido92 View Post
Has anyone replaced the crankset or chainrings not heir SLR or SLR 2? I'm finding that the 42t chainring is not working out well for me. I feel like I'm spinning out so I'm debating a few options:

1. replace bottom bracket (already have a BB36) for either 50/34 or 52/36 (already have) crankset
2. replace the 42t chainring with either a 48t or a 50t chainring
3. replace cassette with 11-28 cassette

Your input is greatly appreciated.
100 rpm put you at over 50 kmh, and you are frequently spinning out? Like steep downhill streets, or flats? Are you a pro-racer or something? I'm just wondering since i neer spin out (never use the 11T on flats, only downhill)
Since you have 42T, i assume you have the SLR 1 with 28/42T chainrings. the two chainrings have ramps designed to work together (therefore the 2:3 ratio) to improve shifting. If you add a larger chainring, the jump to the 28 may be too large to be smooth. Are you planning on replacing both?

Sounds like you want to go for a road gearing more than hybrid gearing. You may get problems on hills when going to 11-28 (from 11-36). especially if you also increase the smaller chainring. Maybe consider going to 11-speed in rear to still have a larger "bailout" large cog. I assume you want the tighter spacing.

Bicycle Gear Calculator
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 02-11-18, 10:43 AM
  #458  
Delwis
Trekker
 
Delwis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Delavan, Wisconsin
Posts: 321

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Awesome calculator HerrKaLeun. Thanks for posting!
Delwis is offline  
Old 02-13-18, 11:24 AM
  #459  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,150

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bert60 View Post
Hi I have a 2018 toughroad SLR2 and on the inside of the right hand fork leg near the bottom there is a rectangular rubber grommet any one know what the hole in the fork is for?
Can you post a picture? Perhaps non-Toughroad owner might look at it and know why it's there.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 02-13-18, 03:27 PM
  #460  
Pacoloco1966
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi there...how much "better" is the SLR1 for 2017 or even the 2018 SLR2? I have an option to buy either one for about the same price in Canada...
2017 Giant toughroad SLR1 vs 2018 Giant toughroad SLR2
which one is a better bike? for the same price now...smoother ride? components etc...I read the specs but I don't know enough to see the difference...!
I confess I like the colour of the 2018 SLR2 better-black with red lines. Also, I'm thinking I may/would replace the tires for Schwalbe Allmotion or marathon supreme...
help pls! I used to have a Giant Seek 2013 but is time to move on! I posted this in another thread too...pls don't be harsh! I just need help!
thanks
E
Pacoloco1966 is offline  
Old 02-13-18, 05:19 PM
  #461  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,885

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacoloco1966 View Post
hi there...how much "better" is the SLR1 for 2017 or even the 2018 SLR2? I have an option to buy either one for about the same price in Canada...
2017 Giant toughroad SLR1 vs 2018 Giant toughroad SLR2
which one is a better bike? for the same price now...smoother ride? components etc...I read the specs but I don't know enough to see the difference...!
I confess I like the colour of the 2018 SLR2 better-black with red lines. Also, I'm thinking I may/would replace the tires for Schwalbe Allmotion or marathon supreme...
help pls! I used to have a Giant Seek 2013 but is time to move on! I posted this in another thread too...pls don't be harsh! I just need help!
thanks
E

The SLR 1 has better gears, brakes and crankset.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 02-13-18, 05:35 PM
  #462  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,875

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacoloco1966 View Post
hi there...how much "better" is the SLR1 for 2017 or even the 2018 SLR2? I have an option to buy either one for about the same price in Canada...
2017 Giant toughroad SLR1 vs 2018 Giant toughroad SLR2
which one is a better bike? for the same price now...smoother ride? components etc...I read the specs but I don't know enough to see the difference...!
I confess I like the colour of the 2018 SLR2 better-black with red lines. Also, I'm thinking I may/would replace the tires for Schwalbe Allmotion or marathon supreme...
help pls! I used to have a Giant Seek 2013 but is time to move on! I posted this in another thread too...pls don't be harsh! I just need help!
thanks
E
Lol. In my world, a 2013 model is barely broken in. Maybe I am missing something, but the Toughroad looks like a newer version of the Seek line.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 02-13-18, 05:51 PM
  #463  
Pacoloco1966
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
Lol. In my world, a 2013 model is barely broken in. Maybe I am missing something, but the Toughroad looks like a newer version of the Seek line.
We’re spoiled here!!
I also feel some similarities with the Seek models. I do mostly commuting but i wonder how much more comfortable fster/slower the ride is with the toughroad.
E
Pacoloco1966 is offline  
Old 02-13-18, 06:46 PM
  #464  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,875

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacoloco1966 View Post
We’re spoiled here!!
I also feel some similarities with the Seek models. I do mostly commuting but i wonder how much more comfortable fster/slower the ride is with the toughroad.
E
I imagine you would notice a bigger difference changing tires on your old bike.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 02-24-18, 08:11 PM
  #465  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
My freehub developed play (cassette cog moves laterally by about 1mm). I took the cassette off and can wiggle it up/down (and it is not a loose cone issue). Bike only has 2,000 km plus what it did at LBS (it was a demo bike, but doubt it rode significant miles as it is still on 1st chain with 0.25% elongation).

Did anyone have early freehub problems? I don't recall if it always had play or not, shifting doesn't seem to be affected yet. My other two bikes don't have that play at all.

I'll take the wheel to LBS next week to see if it is covered under warranty (bought spring 2017). the warranty of course says "manufacturing defects", they could claim this is wear and when I received it it wasn't defect, hence not a manufacturing defect. does anyone have experience with warranty claims on items like freehubs (that have a wear dependent life)?

Looks like freehubs are $30, so wouldn't be too huge of a deal to buy one (minus the hassle). does anyone know if there is a xD driver version?
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 03-01-18, 02:12 PM
  #466  
Pacoloco1966
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
The SLR 1 has better gears, brakes and crankset.
Hi there...I decided to save some money and get the 2017 ToughRoad SLR2-I added a few accessories and I have been riding it for a few days (before snow returns to my city...still Winter!)...I like it a lot...!Mine came with Maxxis tires and I will keep them on for now, but may change them for Marathon Plus or Big Apple 50mm or wider in June.
Much lighter than my older Seek and definitely feels a bit speedy. I will wait for Spring to ride it a lot more.

thanks for the help. I still haven't found a kickstand that works with this bike. I saw the link you published about the Rose kickstand but nothing like that here. well...maybe. I found this link locally. Will bring my bike and see if the bike mechanics can fit it in.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-9...rsal-Kickstand

thanks!
E
Pacoloco1966 is offline  
Old 03-01-18, 04:59 PM
  #467  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
My freehub developed play (cassette cog moves laterally by about 1mm). I took the cassette off and can wiggle it up/down (and it is not a loose cone issue). Bike only has 2,000 km plus what it did at LBS (it was a demo bike, but doubt it rode significant miles as it is still on 1st chain with 0.25% elongation).

Did anyone have early freehub problems? I don't recall if it always had play or not, shifting doesn't seem to be affected yet. My other two bikes don't have that play at all.

I'll take the wheel to LBS next week to see if it is covered under warranty (bought spring 2017). the warranty of course says "manufacturing defects", they could claim this is wear and when I received it it wasn't defect, hence not a manufacturing defect. does anyone have experience with warranty claims on items like freehubs (that have a wear dependent life)?

Looks like freehubs are $30, so wouldn't be too huge of a deal to buy one (minus the hassle). does anyone know if there is a xD driver version?
Problem solved, the freehub was not tight enough (the mechanic said it was a half turn it needed). Now I'm not sure if it came thea tay or loosened over time. but i have a hard time imagining it getting loose over time.
Assuming this was an assembly issue, i doubt it is toughroad-specific. But better check your freehubs.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 03-01-18, 05:26 PM
  #468  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,885

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacoloco1966 View Post
thanks for the help. I still haven't found a kickstand that works with this bike. I saw the link you published about the Rose kickstand but nothing like that here. well...maybe. I found this link locally. Will bring my bike and see if the bike mechanics can fit it in.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-9...rsal-Kickstand

thanks!
E

That kickstand looks pretty much identical and will work on a Toughroad, just make sure you don't go crazy with how tight you screw it in.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 09:16 AM
  #469  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
Lol. In my world, a 2013 model is barely broken in. Maybe I am missing something, but the Toughroad looks like a newer version of the Seek line.
Seek doesn't have carbon fork.
prj71 is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 03:10 PM
  #470  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,875

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Seek doesn't have carbon fork.
As I said, a newer version of the Seek.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 04:43 PM
  #471  
Carl J
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 48

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Question. I'm switching my ToughRoad to a 1x11. Will the stock wheel support an 11 speed cassette? Or will I need a new rear wheel?
Carl J is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 06:38 PM
  #472  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Inwood WV, but maybe moving closer to the C&O areas
Posts: 1,253

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Prior bikes owned: 1995 Trek 830, 1988 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
Question. I'm switching my ToughRoad to a 1x11. Will the stock wheel support an 11 speed cassette? Or will I need a new rear wheel?
Check out the Australian Giant web site. The ToughRoad SLR 0 uses a different hub than the other ToughRoad SLR's.

I'm betting your SLR 2 is stuck with a maximum of 10speeds.

Interesting that Giant only gives 28 spokes on the ToughRoad SLR 0. I would expect 32 spokes to really handle the abuse people would give it.
travbikeman is offline  
Old 03-03-18, 09:44 AM
  #473  
Carl J
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 48

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman View Post
Check out the Australian Giant web site. The ToughRoad SLR 0 uses a different hub than the other ToughRoad SLR's.

I'm betting your SLR 2 is stuck with a maximum of 10speeds.

Interesting that Giant only gives 28 spokes on the ToughRoad SLR 0. I would expect 32 spokes to really handle the abuse people would give it.
Thanks. I'm hoping I can get away with not having to purchase new wheels, as this is an unexpected upgrade (my cassettes are severely rusted after a couple of winter rides). Looking at getting the Bontrager Race X Lite wheel set (for $500CAD, regular $1300). Those look to be 28 spoke and not 32.
Carl J is offline  
Old 03-04-18, 07:34 AM
  #474  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,885

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman View Post
Check out the Australian Giant web site. The ToughRoad SLR 0 uses a different hub than the other ToughRoad SLR's.

I'm betting your SLR 2 is stuck with a maximum of 10speeds.
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
Thanks. I'm hoping I can get away with not having to purchase new wheels, as this is an unexpected upgrade (my cassettes are severely rusted after a couple of winter rides). Looking at getting the Bontrager Race X Lite wheel set (for $500CAD, regular $1300). Those look to be 28 spoke and not 32.
The Toughroad SLR 0 sports an 11 speed SRAM cassette which is not compatible with existing Shimano 9/10 speed hubs, so as long as Carl J sticks with a Shimano 11 speed mountain bike cassette, he should be fine with the hub that comes on the Toughroad SLR 1 or 2.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 03-04-18, 09:06 AM
  #475  
Carl J
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 48

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo (Fat), 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Aero), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
The Toughroad SLR 0 sports an 11 speed SRAM cassette which is not compatible with existing Shimano 9/10 speed hubs, so as long as Carl J sticks with a Shimano 11 speed mountain bike cassette, he should be fine with the hub that comes on the Toughroad SLR 1 or 2.
Thanks ColonelSanders I did pick up those Bontrager wheels yesterday, but made sure first that if I don't need them that the LBS will take them back. Great deal on the wheels, and they're supposedly pretty good too, but, would rather not pay the extra money if I don't have to.
Carl J is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.