Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/1033093-2016-giant-toughroad-slr2.html)

HCB 11-23-15 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 18339893)
Just took delivery of my Toughroad SLR2 (size L). Will post pictures shortly.

Very nice bike, rides smoothly, the stock 29x2.0 tires are confident on any terrain while still able to cruise on roads quickly. No difficulty doing things like hopping up or down curbs, feels very solid. The frame transfers power nicely, if you stomp hard on the pedals the bike accelerates immediately with no hint of flex.

Shimano components are solid. I wish the shifters supported two-way release, but the drive-train works smoothly and shifting was flawless (across all gears, kudos to the shop setup). Cables have full length housing, so better for all-weather, and the integrate pseudo-fender/cable cover is nice.

Shimano hydraulic brakes are flawless. The lever style is the longer touring style, better suited for two finger braking. Brakes are firm with great feel, and plenty of stopping power.

Only change I would recommend is swapping to some better grips. I switched to Ergon grips, and they're much better for distances. The stock saddle feels decent, definitely worth giving a longer term evaluation.


Good post. I'm a roadie and this is my first jack (SLR2) of all trade bike. It rides really nice though the wheels and components are in desperate need of an upgrade. So much so I ordered a Shimano SLX groupset and Stan's ZTR Arch EX 29 wheels. Really excited.

JES600 11-23-15 03:05 PM


Originally Posted by HCB (Post 18340406)
Good post. I'm a roadie and this is my first jack (SLR2) of all trade bike. It rides really nice though the wheels and components are in desperate need of an upgrade. So much so I ordered a Shimano SLX groupset and Stan's ZTR Arch EX 29 wheels. Really excited.

Really nice upgrades. I'd be excited too. Those tubeless rims intrigue me.

dr1445 11-26-15 05:31 AM

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...1433598663.jpg
i got this bottom of the barrel 1986 bianchi strada with a fluid trainer from cl. it came with downtube shifters, 27“ wheels and 2 [vintage compact double!] by 6 gears. now at 70 years i had given up on drop bars several years back due to a stiff neck. since then i had been doing some rowing and found after getting the bike road worthy, i could ride drops once more. rowing must have done some good! all my bikes have triples up front so i was surprised that i could handle the compact double, but i did still need to add a grand dad gear. i built up a set of 27 wheels with, sun cr-18 rims, 7 speed cassette and 32 sepim double butted spokes. new seat tube, quill, stem and home made thumb shifters because i did not get along with the down tube shifters. bike came in at 26lbs. next riding season i plan on swapping to flat bars, making it a hybrid, cause the old neck is acting up again.

edit; please move to crossbike thread, sorry folks!

roguewave 11-26-15 11:35 AM

glad to see some more activity on this thread, hope y'all are enjoying your toughroads :thumb:

HCB 11-28-15 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just finished installing upgrades on my Toughroad SLR. Stan's ZTR Arch EX 29 wheels with Shimano SLX groupset. The bike feels and rides noticeably better than before. The wheels spin way better and the SLX shifters are much smoother than the Acera that came on the bike. Love this bike!

Lt Stonez 11-29-15 02:50 AM

That wood have been a perfect winter bike here in Norway. But for one reasen Giant dont sell it here in Norway!

JES600 11-29-15 01:30 PM


Originally Posted by HCB (Post 18351330)
Just finished installing upgrades on my Toughroad SLR. Stan's ZTR Arch EX 29 wheels with Shimano SLX groupset. The bike feels and rides noticeably better than before. The wheels spin way better and the SLX shifters are much smoother than the Acera that came on the bike. Love this bike!

Great pics. Great upgrades.

Grufti 11-30-15 01:53 PM

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2
 
Just bought one myself today after looking at several bikes for months and not being able to make up my mind. I really like the Fastroad styling, and the LBS was supposed to have one 35% off, but it was a stock error so I went for the ToughRoad SLR2.

Thanks to this thread for helping me decide.

Bigike66 12-09-15 03:01 PM

For the OP or anyone else that can answer.... I'm interested in a Toughroad SLR2 but unfortunately, no bike shop in my area has any on the floor. (SE Florida) I have a Fastroad Comax in Large and love the geometry and size of the bike. It fits great. I am 5'11, with 32" inseam. I notice the Toughroad has a 33" standover height on the large frame. Has this been an issue for anyone with this bike? Is it really that tall? Just want to know before I order it from LBS and want to minimize any issues with fit. Thanks!

badger1 12-09-15 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by Bigike66 (Post 18377849)
For the OP or anyone else that can answer.... I'm interested in a Toughroad SLR2 but unfortunately, no bike shop in my area has any on the floor. (SE Florida) I have a Fastroad Comax in Large and love the geometry and size of the bike. It fits great. I am 5'11, with 32" inseam. I notice the Toughroad has a 33" standover height on the large frame. Has this been an issue for anyone with this bike? Is it really that tall? Just want to know before I order it from LBS and want to minimize any issues with fit. Thanks!

You would definitely want a Toughroad in Medium, given your height/inseam, according to Giant's online sizing advice (click the 'what is my size' link on the page linked below):

Toughroad:2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 | Giant bicycles / Giant bikes UK | United Kingdom

And yes, the Toughroad really does fit 'big'. I'm a nominal 'Medium' on that bike; the Medium feels like a barn door to me -- I'd size down to a Small (5'8, 33" true cycling inseam) if I were to buy one.

Bigike66 12-09-15 03:22 PM


Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 18377869)
You would definitely want a Toughroad in Medium, given your height/inseam, according to Giant's online sizing advice (click the 'what is my size' link on the page linked below):

Toughroad:2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 | Giant bicycles / Giant bikes UK | United Kingdom

And yes, the Toughroad really does fit 'big'. I'm a nominal 'Medium' on that bike; the Medium feels like a barn door to me -- I'd size down to a Small (5'8, 33" true cycling inseam) if I were to buy one.

Thanks Badger. I didn't see the size chart on the US site. That's very helpful.

badger1 12-09-15 03:48 PM


Originally Posted by Bigike66 (Post 18377885)
Thanks Badger. I didn't see the size chart on the US site. That's very helpful.

Welcome! Those UK charts are helpful; we have a few of them on the Canadian site, but not for all bikes. That said, the usual caution: there really is no substitute for a 'live' fitting, but I think Medium (Toughroad) for you would be a very good guess. I've played around with one (Medium) at my LBS -- it really is a 'long'/tall bike. Remember though that the height (standover and front-end stack height) of this bike is a function in large part of the fork's tire clearance, a kind of necessary consequence.

NormanF 12-09-15 10:56 PM

Marin Muirwoods feels big and I went with their sizing recommendation for medium. I'm 5'7" and it fits me to a T.

The Giant ToughRoads SLR may measure differently so you may need to go a size up or down in comparison to another brand.

Doctor Morbius 12-11-15 01:41 PM

I've sat on a medium ToughRoad SLR2 at an LBS and it seemed a bit large for a medium. I currently own a 2011 Roam 2, which is also a medium and it fits me perfectly. I was thinking the Roam 2 was about a 17.5" frame as that's fairly common for mediums. However, I checked the geometry on Giant's site and the medium Roam 2 is actually a 19" frame (same as the ToughRoad SLR2 frame).

I'd say 19" is a bit big to be a medium. Perhaps a medium large?

FrozenBiker 02-15-16 10:19 AM


Originally Posted by roguewave (Post 18215805)
I bought one of these last month


Originally Posted by JES600 (Post 18295794)
My LBS had a large over the weekend and it was obviously too big, so they were able to assemble a medium for me to try on Monday night and Tuesday I took it home.


Originally Posted by HCB (Post 18329586)
Just got mine this afternoon.


Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 18339893)
Just took delivery of my Toughroad SLR2 (size L).


Now that you all have had your bike a while, how has it been?
Still lovin it, or wish you'd bought something else?

roguewave 02-15-16 11:43 AM

I bought another (exact same) to keep at a different location...so yes I still dig it :thumb:

JES600 02-15-16 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by FrozenBiker (Post 18538074)
Now that you all have had your bike a while, how has it been?
Still lovin it, or wish you'd bought something else?

Haven't ridden since November because I hate the cold.

FrozenBiker 02-18-16 10:54 AM


Originally Posted by roguewave (Post 18538355)
I bought another (exact same) to keep at a different location...so yes I still dig it :thumb:


Originally Posted by JES600 (Post 18539187)
Haven't ridden since November because I hate the cold.

There is just one month remaining before I order one, unless there is a reason "not to".
I've been counting down since last October, and the day is finally getting close :)

practical 02-18-16 01:47 PM

If you ride mostly on pavement, do you think you might swap out the tires for something more asphalt friendly? Something with a smoother tread and probably narrower?

FrozenBiker 02-18-16 03:04 PM


Originally Posted by practical (Post 18546813)
If you ride mostly on pavement, do you think you might swap out the tires for something more asphalt friendly? Something with a smoother tread and probably narrower?

During the testride in Boston, which included paved roads down to the dirt park nearby, the tires were fine.
They're not full nobbies, so there wasn't any noise or rough feeling/resitance on the road.
Still, I don't see this bike being intended for someone riding "mostly on pavement" tho.
There are so many other choices for that.

I only ride bikepaths/rail-trails, paved & crushed-stone. No streets if I can help it :)

acdc2704 03-11-16 08:51 PM

Just got the Giant tough road 2 today, I was thinking that or the roam and just loved how this rode. I love really close to some great trials so these will be perfect to add w my defy1.

FrozenBiker 03-11-16 09:02 PM


Originally Posted by acdc2704 (Post 18602780)
Just got the Giant tough road 2 today, I was thinking that or the roam and just loved how this rode. I love really close to some great trials so these will be perfect to add w my defy1.

Congrats on the new ride. We'll need pictures for verification :)
I'm ordering one next Friday.. The wait is almost over!

acdc2704 03-11-16 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is. Not sure how to flip the pic.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=509122

ColonelSanders 03-11-16 09:17 PM


Originally Posted by acdc2704 (Post 18602806)
Here she is. Not sure how to flip the pic.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=509122

What are your overall impressions, how fast does it seem to you?

FrozenBiker 03-11-16 09:23 PM


Originally Posted by acdc2704 (Post 18602806)
Here she is. Not sure how to flip the pic.

If you're using a Windows PC, open the pic with Paint, then use the "rotate" drop-down box.
Is that a Giant rack?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.